Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,507 members, 7,816,224 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:54 AM

Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World (2236 Views)

Osibanjo 'Clashes' With Ex-CBN Governor Sanusi Over Naira Devaluation / Ex-cbn Governor, Sanusi, Joins Blackstone / Max Gbanite And CBN Governor Sanusi On Channels TV - Live (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by Nobody: 9:30pm On Apr 21, 2011
Press Release-- New York based
Time Magazine has named
Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi
(CON), Governor, Central Bank
of Nigeria in the 2011 TIME 100,
the magazine’s annual list of the
most influential people in the
world. The full list and related
attributes appear in the May 2
issue of the magazine, available
from Friday, April 22.
The Time 100 list, now in its
eighth year, recognizes the
innovation, activism and
achievement of the world’s most
influential individuals. According
to TIME Managing Editor,
Richard Stengel; “The TIME 100
is not a list of the most powerful
people in the world, it’s not a list
of the smartest people in the
world, it is a list of the most
influential people in the world.
They’re scientists, thinkers,
philosophers, leaders, icons,
artists and visionaries; people
who are using their ideas, their
visions and their actions to
transform the world and have an
effect on amultitude of people.”
Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, who can
easily be described by any of
these attributes, was named to
the 2011 TIME 100 list as number
11alongside world renowned
Nobel Laurel in Economics, Prof.
Joseph Stiglitz, the German
Chancellor Angela Merkel, U.S.
President, Barack Obama, British
Prime Minister, David Cameron,
U.S. Secretary of State, Hilary
Clinton, Lionel Messi, FIFA
Footballer of the year among
others.
This is the second time in the
history of the TIME 100 that a
Nigerian is named, and Sanusi is
one of the only two Africans to
have made the current list. It will
come as no surprise to those,
both at home and abroad, who
have come to respect Sanusi’s
astute, conscientious and
courageous leadership of the
Central Bank of Africa’s most
populous nation, at a time when
the sector required tough and
decisive intervention. His vision
and actions earned him the
reputation as one of the most
respected and authoritative
voices on financial and economic
matters on the continent,
including a special invitation in
November 2010 by the US
Congressional Sub-Committee
on International Monetary Policy
and Trade, to give testimony at a
congressional hearing titled “The
Global Financial Crisis and
Financial Reforms in Nigeria.” In
January this year, Sanusi was
named African and Global
Central Bank Governor of the
Year 2011 by the Banker
Magazine, a publication of the
Financial Times.
TIME 100 is published by the
prestigious TIME magazine, a
global multimedia brand with a
reach of more than 50 million
people in the world.
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by Rhino5dm: 9:36pm On Apr 21, 2011
Wow! Aboki man on TIME most influential people??

The other day it was Dangote making forbes list and now this. . .

How i wish it was Charlse Soludo, i hear that his master plan was the brain behind SLS's achievement.
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by Ibime(m): 9:44pm On Apr 21, 2011
He's definitely influential on NL. He almost made some Nairalanders catch a heart attack over the last 2 years. grin grin grin
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by baksonlee: 9:58pm On Apr 21, 2011
I hope the Hausa bashing will stop now. Where are the self acclaimed "superior" Southerners.?
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by Rossikk(m): 10:22pm On Apr 21, 2011
Could he be due a Nobel Prize in Economics?

I'm tired of Africans getting Nobel prizes for Peace and Literature. grin
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by HamidO1(m): 10:29pm On Apr 21, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

How i wish it was Charlse Soludo, i hear that his master plan was the brain behind SLS's achievement.

Keep wishing. Soludo's master plan was to get as much money as he could from CBN and join politics. Sanusi definately has a different agenda which is sanitize the banking sector.
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by nduchucks: 10:47pm On Apr 21, 2011
A new Nigerian hero is born. Kudos.
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by T9ksy(m): 10:59pm On Apr 21, 2011
Yeah, a northern (nigeria) mothaxxxxxx!
Influential ko, dumb revisionist ni!!
Another Wada Nas(ty) in the making.
Shoooor, shaking head and left the room.
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by PROUDIGBO(m): 11:10pm On Apr 21, 2011
Rhino.5dm:

^^^ I can see you're trying (in a coded and subtle way) to stir some ethnic controversy. So you can't just congratulate the man and leave it at that? Right now, Sanusi is just about the only thing the core north has to be proud of at the moment and that's not saying much for them.
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by SEFAGO(m): 11:23pm On Apr 21, 2011
Rossikk:

Could he be due a Nobel Prize in Economics?

I'm tired of Africans getting Nobel prizes for Peace and Literature. grin

You win a nobel prize for academic contributions to economics not working in CBN lol

And a person of African descent has won the nobel for economics, though he is originally from the Caribbeans but one love cool
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by OmoTier1(m): 11:26pm On Apr 21, 2011
I have since said it that if not for the CBN gov. Nigeria's economy would have completely gone under with the kind of daft president (glorified otu tu with his clown hat from otuoke) and the oyinbo brainwashed finance minister we have currently.

This man Sanusi knows his onions, hence the reason the US congress invited him and that other Mrs Oteh over so they could tap from thier raw knowledge in a bid to clean up the American financial system.

If this guy had a visionary and purposeful president as his boss, He would be giving the Asia tigers a run for thier money with an economy posting double digits year on year with real growth that Nigerians can attest to. Unlike what we are witnessing where the CBN is chunking out policies to drive growth, the president on the other hand is engaging in policy frog jump!

Please, the CBN gov post should not be given to an igbo at least for the next 16yrs! They are to crafty when they see money e.g Soludo and they wil give you a paper based economy that can't stand the test of time.

CONGRATULATIONS TO A MAN WHO BELIEVES IN HARD WORK, TRUTH AND HONESTY. YOU DESERVE THE HONOUR.
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by Nobody: 11:39pm On Apr 21, 2011

The story of Nigeria's first half-century of Independence is a tale of wasted potential: sub-Saharan Africa's most populous country, home to its biggest oil riches, impoverished by thieving autocrats. A key reason a new Nigeria no longer seems fanciful is Central Bank governor Lamido Sanusi.

A veteran of an often corrupt banking industry, Sanusi, 49, took up his position at the height of the financial crisis in June 2009 and immediately turned on his former peers. He took over nine banks, sacked the chief executives of eight of them, ordered a series of mergers and named their biggest debtors. He was, he said, cleaning up not just banking but all Nigeria. Sanusi's will be a long fight and a dangerous one: death threats have obliged him to employ armed guards. But it is also essential for Africa's sleeping giant to finally awaken.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,2066367_2066369_2066445,00.html #ixzz1KCTCWmWl
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:48pm On Apr 21, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

I have since said it that if not for the CBN gov. Nigeria's economy would have completely gone under with the kind of daft president (glorified otu tu with his clown hat from otuoke) and the oyinbo brainwashed finance minister we have currently.

This man Sanusi knows his onions, hence the reason the US congress invited him and that other Mrs Oteh over so they could tap from thier raw knowledge in a bid to clean up the American financial system.

If this guy had a visionary and purposeful president as his boss, He would be giving the Asia tigers a run for thier money with an economy posting double digits year on year with real growth that Nigerians can attest to. Unlike what we are witnessing where the CBN is chunking out policies to drive growth, the president on the other hand is engaging in policy frog jump!

Please, the CBN gov post should not be given to an igbo at least for the next 16yrs! They are to crafty when they see money e.g Soludo and they wil give you a paper based economy that can't stand the test of time.

CONGRATULATIONS TO A MAN WHO BELIEVES IN HARD WORK, TRUTH AND HONESTY. YOU DESERVE THE HONOUR.

You're a pretty hard core tribalist. Did an Igbo man steal your bike?
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by Lagosboy: 12:16am On Apr 22, 2011
Maximum respect to this man. I just cannot forget the bigotry spewed on NL in aug 2009 when he started his reforms. Within just 18 months the whole world is acknowledging his intelligence and courage. Only if we shed the religious and tribal bigotry in us as a people would we ever progress to a level we deserve.

Buhari if given the chance as well would have people acknowledge his administrative and leadership skills after a short time. Most of us only see issues through our prejudices and different sentiments.

I would want to see SLS in Aso rock in 2015 running under CPC as his 5 year tenure ends in June 2014 he will have 1 year to spread his ideas. He has the intellect, passion and a nationalist who is never blinded by tribalism.
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by PROUDIGBO(m): 12:18am On Apr 22, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

^^^^ Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye!!! Know ye all that henceforth, "the CBN gov post should not be given to an Igbo at least for the next 16yrs". So says the sad tribalistic knobhead omo tier1. Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye!!!

Make sure you sacrifice a member of your family for your prayer to be granted by the devil you worship.

Cheers mate. wink
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by ektbear: 1:06am On Apr 22, 2011
I like Soludo. Guess I'm in the minority here.
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by Katsumoto: 1:15am On Apr 22, 2011
ekt_bear:

I like Soludo. Guess I'm in the minority here.

Soludo contributed to the rot in the banking sector; either through fraud or incompetence. Sanusi cleaned his mess up.
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by ektbear: 1:19am On Apr 22, 2011
^-- Good of merging into 25 strong banks rather than a thousand weak ones (or however many it was) doesn't outweigh the bad he did?

Actually, where is a good summary of what exactly went wrong with the banking sector? How did Soludo screw up? I guess I'm focusing too much on the positive effect of the banking consolidation. . . I attribute a lot of the economic growth we've had over the past few years or so to it.
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by Katsumoto: 1:33am On Apr 22, 2011
ekt_bear:

^-- Good of merging into 25 strong banks rather than a thousand weak ones (or however many it was) doesn't outweigh the bad he did?

Actually, where is a good summary of what exactly went wrong with the banking sector? How did Soludo screw up? I guess I'm focusing too much on the positive effect of the banking consolidation. . . I attribute a lot of the economic growth we've had over the past few years or so to it.

A good number of those 25 banks were cooking books and the CBN was complicit. Consolidation was good in theory but implementation was flawed. You don't get points for good ideas if the benefits are outweighed by flaws.
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by OAM4J: 2:12am On Apr 22, 2011
Congratulations Mallam Sanusi Lamido!

If the next president must come from the north, I wish it's this man. cool
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by ZnO: 3:07am On Apr 22, 2011
Omo_Tier1:

You do know that Oteh is Igbo from Abia right? You speak from both sides of a stinking mouth.
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by OmoTier1(m): 7:38am On Apr 22, 2011
ZnO:

You do know that Oteh is Igbo from Abia right? You speak from both sides of a stinking mouth.
oi! dude, go back and re-read what I said in my post. The fact still remains that Soludo screwed up the economy and the banking sector big time! In his time he made no conscious effort to chunk out policies that would encourage the real sector to grow in a sustainable manner rather all we suspected then and is now confirmed was a flagrant abuse and misuse of tax payers savings by bank's ceos and board members with tacit approval from Soludo the Proffessor of "I chop you chop the gods wouldnt be angry" smiley
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by Jarus(m): 8:06am On Apr 22, 2011
When 2 years ago on NL here, some of us, who have studied him, were defending him against northern/Islamic agenda conspiracy theorists, they called us all sorts of names. His offence, to many Nairalanders and Nigerians then, was that he is aboki(wetin aboki sabi), he did not school in an Ivy League school, he studied Sharia etc. I'm happy I have been vindicated and the energy I put into making many Nairalanders see beyond their sectional nose did not go in vain.

Some of us will continue to defend people or ideas we see as noble, even if 95% of other Nigerians see it otherwise.
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by Nobody: 8:15am On Apr 22, 2011
He must have had yoruba grand-daddies to be an achiever like this, grin grin atleast not a terrorist like buhari.anyways,what's he doing to eradicate almajirism in hausaland ?
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by 13volts(m): 8:36am On Apr 22, 2011
At times I feel proud as a hausaman
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by texazzpete(m): 8:40am On Apr 22, 2011
~Bluetooth:

anyways,what's he doing to eradicate almajirism in hausaland ?

That's the President's job. Not Sanusi's.
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by Nobody: 8:48am On Apr 22, 2011
13volts:

At times I feel proud as a hausaman

unfortunately most times you feel bad .
texazzpete:

That's the President's job. Not Sanusi's.

Bill gates and clinton spend billions of dollars to eradicate polio and other problems in Africa.Are they Africa presidents ?
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by ektbear: 8:48am On Apr 22, 2011
@Jarus: Err, what? What about all the racist-@ss articles he had up on Gamji and those other sites?  grin It isn't as if people had those Northern conspiracy theories without reason.

Anyway, my own impression is that he has mellowed out and gotten a bit better in his views of southerners. I'm glad he proved the doubters wrong.
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by ektbear: 8:49am On Apr 22, 2011
~Bluetooth:

Bill gates and clinton spend billions of dollars to eradicate polio and other problems in Africa.Are they Africa presidents ?
undecided

What are you or I doing to eradicate poverty in Yorubaland? He doesn't really have much more capability at this point to deal with that specific issue. If he becomes governor of Kano, then sure. But as CBN head, not his job.
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by evamathis: 12:01pm On Apr 22, 2011
baksonlee:

I hope the Hausa bashing will stop now. Where are the self acclaimed "superior" Southerners.?

You again
Same ol same ol coming from lindaa blog
Instigator
OAM4J:

Congratulations Mallam Sanusi Lamido!

If the next president must come from the north, I wish it's this man.  cool

@all
Wake up sheeple
Dont get too excited
Sls is blue blood
Apparently next Emir of kano
He has powerful backing
How on earth cant he do what he did without anything happening to him

Dem born any of you to try a tenth of what he did and see if you will survive?

Nobody knew Chukwuma it was by Gods grace he was lifted
And ya'll screaming blue murder
He had to continue licking a55 to keep his a55 on the line

Stop getting excited and smell the coffee
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by ufumes(m): 12:07pm On Apr 22, 2011
Congratulation to an achiever
Re: Cbn Governor Sanusi Named Among Time100 Most Influential People In The World by namfav(m): 12:10pm On Apr 22, 2011
and they say that someone who is studied in islamic law cannot go anywhere in nigeria once again another man is prving the doubters wrong, muhammadu sanusi will be proud, mashallah bro keep doing it for yourself you are going places, transfering islamic economics into the sector has done wondrs for the nigerian economy

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News: Erosion Control: W’bank Commits $508.5m To 9 States / REVEALED: Why U.S President Obama Can’t Use iPhone / What Will Happen If Tinubu And All APC Governors Decamp To PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.