Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,045 members, 7,821,592 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:26 PM

Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access (21558 Views)

Nigeria Overtakes Congo As Worst In Global Access To Electricity / Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access / Nigeria Overtakes India As Number 1 In World's Poverty Rating - Brookings Instit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by Ilamina(f): 2:18pm On Apr 23, 2021
I thought they were on the same level as us
Or even worse
Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by Nobody: 2:19pm On Apr 23, 2021
Well, we have a bad power sector for the follwoing reasons

In 2013, POWER was privatised. Up till last year, the cost of power was below N30 per kwh.

Meanwhile power was being MADE at a cost of over N50 per kwh.

What does that mean.....it means that until last year, power was being sold by DISCOS at a loss of at least N20 per kwh.

Additionally as at 2018, 40% of power subscribers were not paying for power.

So the net effect was that DISCOS , GENCOS, and the TCN don't make enough money for upgrades, or expansions. DISCOS even don't make enough money for tax. All because they were all operating at a loss.

And when you operate at a loss, little progress is made.

That's why things are getting worse.

So, all Buhari can do is...nothing. Same as GEJ could do...nothing from 2013. Power is in private hands. The only thing that can be done by government is to raise tarrifs for power....which it has done....but the truth is it won't take the next step...allow the companies raise prices of tarrifs thenselves.

Allow the DISCOS and GENCOS control their prices, so that they have money to fund improvements they need. Let the 40% who are not paying for power take responsibility, and start paying their bills...and things will improve.

(N.B I am not here to defend Buhari...this is just a statement of the problems in the power sector)

Here is a report that needs to be read : Solving the liquidity problems in the Nigerian power sector. See page 18 for a good summary of the issues financially speaking

Modified

A summary of what I have just written...allow power to be run profitably..ie allow the power sector charge the tarrifs it wants to charge, and government in turn enforces tarrif payments from everyone, including government agencies...and the power sector would have the money needed to make improvements

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by youngrichnigga: 2:22pm On Apr 23, 2021
All the bad, bad records naim this administration (APC) just dey acquire angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by Nobody: 2:23pm On Apr 23, 2021
C.H.A.N.G.E! grin grin

Waiting for Lai Mohammed to scream "fake news"
Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by Focusmind: 2:23pm On Apr 23, 2021
Just find a way of disconnecting yourself from dependency on Nigerian government. We now provide our own electricity via generators, inverter and solar, pay estate security for our security, build our own houses, send our children to private schools, buy cars to help with our transportation, dig borehole for water and pay heavily to have meals on our table.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by CocoaOla: 2:25pm On Apr 23, 2021
Buharis/apc demonic deceiver defender now

Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by Jeezuzpick(m): 2:26pm On Apr 23, 2021
We full ground.

Don't worry.

We are here for you.

We got your back.

With love from

Generator Association of Nigeria (GAN).

Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by 36STATES: 2:26pm On Apr 23, 2021
You will not see that evil son of a bitch that refers to Buhari as his darling president in a topic like this.
If it were some propaganda from Liar Mohamed or his friend Shehu Garba praising the regime, he would have been here ranting like a lunatic.

You all know we're referring to the evil vulture griller who hate Nigerians so much he wants boohuari to continue to rule forever,
in order to continue spreading poverty and terror in the country.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by Felabrity: 2:30pm On Apr 23, 2021
Nigeria power sector is doomed
Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by Andyvilly: 2:30pm On Apr 23, 2021
FG Response:
" we are on tip the situation, we are monitoring the discos and Gencos, after our findings we came to the conclusion that Nigeria citizens does not need light, the president and his cabinet have held a close door meeting to discuss the issue and came out with a budget of$900 billion for the importation of 3million Cartons of big candles from China to distribute to 1 carton to each household in the country as palliative measure.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by Andyvilly: 2:30pm On Apr 23, 2021
FG Response:
" we are on top the situation, we are monitoring the discos and Gencos, after our findings we came to the conclusion that Nigeria citizens does not need light, the president and his cabinet have held a close door meeting to discuss the issue and came out with a budget of$900 billion for the importation of 3million Cartons of big candles from China to distribute to 1 carton to each household in the country as palliative measures.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by Goodman247: 2:31pm On Apr 23, 2021
[quote author=OldNairalander post=101042026]The existence of Nigeria as a nation is a crime against humanity undecided[/quote grin grin]
Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by CSTRR: 2:33pm On Apr 23, 2021
Minister of darkness, babatunde Raji fashola.

Congratulations.

Governance no be by mouth.

APC congratulations.
I no blame una
Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by optimusprime2(m): 2:34pm On Apr 23, 2021
What took so long?
Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by neyohh: 2:35pm On Apr 23, 2021
One area where restructuring make's sense.

Let each region be responsible for generating their own electricity
Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by CSTRR: 2:36pm On Apr 23, 2021
Electricity is not rocket science.

That was how these smooth orator bamboozled Nigerians in 2015.
Highly overrated nonsense.

A lot of Yoruba politicians are just smooth orators.

All talk no substance.

The vice president is also in the same boat.
A lot of nice words but will not really solve anything.

And Nigerians are not yet sophisticated enough to know what they really need.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by Crimrburster: 2:36pm On Apr 23, 2021
iampeterben:
Over here in Oke-Aro we don't have good road network but them dey allow us enjoy light.
make we hang out na, you get free babe wey I fit knack from back? I dey lafe.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by Chummynoni(m): 2:38pm On Apr 23, 2021
Nigeria only overtake in negative things. Mtschew
Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by CSTRR: 2:38pm On Apr 23, 2021
neyohh:
One area where restructuring make's sense.

Let each region be responsible for generating their own electricity
That is besides the point.

Electricity has worsened.

From -2 to -10.

That is the main issue.
This current Federal govt is highly incompetent beyond anything we have ever seen.

Even if you devolve electricity, the Federal govt will still need to play a critical role.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by Sonoyom(m): 2:39pm On Apr 23, 2021
Please where were we before Bubu came on board i want to check something.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by 1Dray(m): 2:39pm On Apr 23, 2021
For 3 months now, there hadn't electric power supply in Maiduguri.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by Funkeshuga(m): 2:40pm On Apr 23, 2021
horsepower102:
Remember when Fashola said a responsible government can fix electricity within 6 months when GEJ was still president.

Please someone close to him should advise him to bring back power generation to 2014 levels at least.

Aboki had been your new min of power since 2019 outdated man, always try to update your Brain

as worse as Fashola that I thought he was when he held those three portfolios, he took us to 7,000 megawatt even though it wasn't enough but this aboki that haven't handle estate electricity before had taken us far behind

nepotism in Buhari's nature have successfully destroyed his useless govt, he keep putting brain drain aboki in a sensitive position that they have no idea about

God forbid I made one brain dead aboki to hold a post in my company, those quota system ediots

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by CSTRR: 2:40pm On Apr 23, 2021
A lot of people in Lagos don't really know how bad electricity is in Nigeria.

The bulk of Nigeria's power is dispersed to Lagos, Abuja and a few states with vested interests and it gives that illusion of stable electricity.

I traveled to a major town in Delta State, and for the the three days I was there , I did not see electricity.

It was generator all through.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by mayorall(m): 2:43pm On Apr 23, 2021
Dpharisee:
Till date most parts of Iragbiji is still without electricity 6 years after the Cocaine trafficker from there tricked us into electing an extremist

Lies. Even my Uncle that built house inside bush at aragbiji get light. . The area from Oke-Iragbiji that leads to testing ground in Osogbo. Stop posting lies here. This area is a thick forest , we have our farms there and they are electrified. I spent my childhood at Boripe local government. If you said Iragbiji is local, I agree that with you.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by CSTRR: 2:44pm On Apr 23, 2021
And for those clowns that like talking about how there is no difference between the PDP and the APC.

There is a big difference. It is visible to the blind.

But it seems they need to suffer more bad governance before they can see the difference.
Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by Ijaya123: 2:44pm On Apr 23, 2021
Esseite:
Gone are the days of Barth Nnaji... Nigeria only needs right leaders.

What was the achievement of Barth Nnaji?
Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by nesta007(m): 2:47pm On Apr 23, 2021
Them use lie kill una.. who do research and why Nairaland no fact check before posting this rubbish..
iwaeda:

https://www.reubenabati.com.ng/index.php/component/k2/item/28489-nigeria-overtakes-congo-worst-in-global-electricity-access/post

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by Nwaide01: 2:49pm On Apr 23, 2021
The most funny part of it is that some people are still hoping that this country will work. Instead of them to join hand with MNK and Igboho to liberate their people they are here shouting one Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by EyeofanEagle(m): 2:49pm On Apr 23, 2021
@Dpharisee stop posting junk on here.U are a little liar
Re: Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access by Litmus: 2:50pm On Apr 23, 2021
qualityovenbake:
Any ranking position that involves corruption, disorganization, undemocratic, terrorism, unstable power supply, inhumane, suffering, poverty, segregation, genocide, religion intolerance, draconian law, infrastructure decay, nepotism and bad governance. Nigeria always manage to come top. What an achievement, Naija is doomed.

You forgot to add Bad News loving.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dr. Maduka Takes Ward To Riverine Area On Motorcycle And Local Flying Boat / Eko Bridge Fire Outbreak: Lagos Gives Squatters 48 Hours To Vacate Area / APC National Youth Leader, Dayo Isreal Visits Enugu (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.