Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,194 members, 7,815,167 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

Did Gen. Buhari Really Expect to Win the Election? - A Post Mortem - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Gen. Buhari Really Expect to Win the Election? - A Post Mortem (725 Views)

The Bayelsa Election: A Lesson For The Igbos / Rivers Governorship Election: “A Sham, Mockery Of Democracy,” Says INEC Staff / Did Gen.Buhari Actually Say That He Will Make One Naira Equal To One US Dollar? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Gen. Buhari Really Expect to Win the Election? - A Post Mortem by koruji(m): 9:23pm On Apr 22, 2011
Quote from NL GenBuhari (A Supporter of Gen. Buhari who thinks NL polls were a credible gauge of the national elections): "I know in a free and fair elections Buhari was the rightlful winner."

This statement shows the kind of naivety or delusion or both under which Gen. Buhari and his supporters operate. Although having contested the presidency two previous times, by the time of this election Gen. Buhari was again contesting under a party with no political base - no governors, no assembly men, no local council chairman. That first of all shows you that Gen. Buhari:
1) seems to care only about himself and himself only in the presidency;
2) is not a person that can work by finding common ground among a diverse set of peoples/nationalities - that is a lot since we are talking about Nigeria.

Okay, with no real base in the north Gen. Buhari came down south to seek support, with the same attitude. Is anyone suprised then that he could not work out a deal with ACN? Instead, he settled for another non-politician with almost no political base in the SW as his VP. After all these missteps, he blames ACN - ACN was supposed to throw away all their hard-earned relevance down-south to put Buhari in the presidency? Examine yourself General.

He went into the election talking all kind of jazz about lynching people who rig, on the one hand. On the other hand, the same violence-talking Gen. Buhari foreclosed the only legal means to challenge an election by calliong our judiciary system as a waste of time. He had nothing to say about the obvious underage children that filled up the north's voter numbers and their caught-on-camera-voting in both elections. To be sure, PDP probably benefited from underage voting in the elections as well. This is the kind of open illegality that northern politicians have visited on Nigeria over and over again -the practice of extreme sharia, a senator openly challenging the constitution by marrying a 9-year old, Yar'adua's unconscionable absentee presidency/Turai dominion, and the behavior of the NPLF in the lead-up to the elections are just a few other examples.

Does anyone think that if a northerner were president and a southern presidential candidate talked violence before the elections that candidate would not be under arrest already - even if only house arrest? Especially after refusing to call for calm until precious lives were already lost after the elections. Gen. Buhari is not a nationalist by any yardstick.

Not to condone the vote inflation that occured in the SS&SE, but without that excess zealousness on the part of PDP (basically to avoid a run-off) Gen. Buhari actually stood no chance of winning, or getting a runoff for that matter - unless "spending political capital" to achieve political ends is not how politics works anymore. As I have said before, the SS&SE message was: if you 've got underage voters, we have got thumbs aplenty or as we are currently hearing, votes can easily be inflated.

The north must realize the kind of indignity the rest of the nation suffers when their politician behaves like they own us all - as VP, GEJ SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN TREATED THE WAY HE WAS TREATED DURING YAR'ADUA'S ILLNESS. Can anybody imagine what would have happened if OBJ had falling sick and incapacitated for an extended period? Atiku would have completely taken over the presidency, even if the constitution did not support it. Well, the corollary is that GEJ would be a dog's uncle if the north were banking on built in rigging (underage voting and the like) to win or force a runoff, and his supporters fail to reply in like manner. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me goes the saying.

If we have to be a nation then people have to learn to follow rules, otherwise it becomes an animalistic do-me-I-do-you nation of chaos. GEJ had to wait for the National Assembly and the courts in order to assume office after Yar'adua's illness. Similarly, Gen. Buhari has rightly determined he was wrong in foreclosing the courts and is heading there as we speak to challenge the election. Although I would really say that he has little to no chance of winning, that is what he should do rather than banking on "lynching" mobs to reclaim his "phanton mandate".

It is not suprising then that after leading a phantom party to the elections, choosing a person with phantom political base in the SW as his VP, getting trounced in the legislative elections and losing the presidential electioins Gen. Buhari's supporters have no qualms talking about a phantom "free and fair election in which they KNOW Buhari is the winner". But, this is mere scrambling to win some governorship and other seats come April 26th, so that the north's vote for CPC in the presidential election would not be clearly shown to be based on sectional interests. In reality that vote was mainly sectional in nature, and the April 26th elections will show that - PDP has substantial political capital up north, and like ACN in the SW is not going to throw it away just to make some planless General look good.

For me, the fame of Gen. Buhari has always been more myth than reality - his real records are nothing to write home about. His political career is over - even if the presidential elections were to be re-done, and that is not going to happen any time soon.

GenBuhari:
Your work is not done yet
Keep working for election of CPC Governors
These elections so far have been a farce!
I know in a free and fair elections Buhari was the rightlful winner.
Since Buhari created the CPC we would continue to support CPC.
Comrades , please start strategizing for getting CPC Governors elected.
Re: Did Gen. Buhari Really Expect to Win the Election? - A Post Mortem by muami(m): 9:43pm On Apr 22, 2011
koruji:

Quote from NL GenBuhari (A Supporter of Gen. Buhari who thinks NL polls were a credible gauge of the national elections): "I know in a free and fair elections Buhari was the rightlful winner."

This statement shows the kind of naivety or delusion or both under which Gen. Buhari and his supporters operate. Although having contested the presidency two previous times, by the time of this election Gen. Buhari was again contesting under a party with no political base - no governors, no assembly men, no local council chairman.
Gen. Buhari actually stood no chance of winning, or getting a runoff for that matter - unless "spending political capital" to achieve political ends is not how politics works anymore. As I have said before, the SS&SE message was: if you 've got underage voters, we have got thumbs aplenty or as we are currently hearing, votes can easily be inflated.

Similarly, Gen. Buhari has rightly determined he was wrong in foreclosing the courts and is heading there as we speak to challenge the election. Although I would really say that he has little to no chance of winning, that is what he should do rather than banking on "lynching" mobs to reclaim his "phanton mandate".

It is not suprising then that after leading a phantom party to the elections, choosing a person with phantom political base in the SW as his VP, getting trounced in the legislative elections and losing the presidential electioins Gen. Buhari's supporters have no qualms talking about a phantom "free and fair election in which they KNOW Buhari is the winner".

For me, the fame of Gen. Buhari has always been more myth than reality - his real records are nothing to write home about. His political career is over - even if the presidential elections were to be re-done, and that is not going to happen any time soon.

I implore all 'intelligent' Buhari supporters to read this and then proceed on a sober reflection on the outcome of the elections. perphaps, that would help clear the delusion that they have about Buhari winning the election. I have said it before that no matter how you calculate the elections, Buhari would never win.
Re: Did Gen. Buhari Really Expect to Win the Election? - A Post Mortem by koruji(m): 5:37am On Apr 23, 2011
Title changed.
Re: Did Gen. Buhari Really Expect to Win the Election? - A Post Mortem by Odunnu: 6:10am On Apr 23, 2011
To NL's Gen.Buhari you are wasting time. He is convinced without doubt on his position.
Thats a great post Koruji. I just bookmarked it.
Re: Did Gen. Buhari Really Expect to Win the Election? - A Post Mortem by koruji(m): 3:45pm On Apr 23, 2011
Thanks.

Odunnu:

To NL's Gen.Buhari you are wasting time. He is convinced without doubt on his position.
Thats a great post Koruji. I just bookmarked it.

(1) (Reply)

80% Of Nigerians Think 2011 Will Be Better Than 2010 / Thank You Nigerians By Nuhu Ribadu. / GOD, WHY IS THIS MAN NOT RULING NIGERIA?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.