Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,457 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? (18212 Views)

Pharmacy Or MBBS / Which Is Best, Architecture Or Civil Engineering / Pharmacy Vs Nursing: Which Is More Lucrative? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by svuicccteosrs: 7:31pm On Apr 28, 2021
It depends on what you are looking at. Your dream to some extent should influence your choice of studied
Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by DeIneffable(m): 7:31pm On Apr 28, 2021
Try computer science. Thank me later

syrecookie:
Which of these course guarantees a better life after graduation?

Ps: I have passion for medicine and surgery but I don't want to pursue that passion cause of the length and complications of studying it in Nigeria. So I am looking for a better alternative in either pharmacy or civil engineering, please I really need your sincere opinions(preferably from experts in either fields).
Need something lucrative in Nigeria and abroad(the money is needed oo, studying in Nigeria is hard enough).
Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by ibiso1986: 7:50pm On Apr 28, 2021
Both are ok.. I studied Civil Engineering.. Funny enough, I'm not practising.. I'm currently a digital marketer and I'm smiling to the bank...

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by MrEgghead(m): 7:54pm On Apr 28, 2021
adanny01:

To succeed in Civil engineering, you must be enterprising and an entrepreneur. Once good in all 3 skill set, you are sure to hammer better than a Pharmacist
The number of those practising Engineering compared to the number of graduates is few in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by oyejideogunjumo: 8:21pm On Apr 28, 2021
niyidenrele:

@ bolded
Are you our of your mind
Even to set up a chemist shop with common drugs
You will need nothing less than 300-500k
And you call that one easily? SMH
Some people are out to insult not knowing who they are talking to and not having a deep knowledge of things.
How can you just say a person is out his mind?
You are free to take or leave his opinion or say your own.
It says a lot about who speaks.
N350 or N500k is your problem?
How many pharmacy do we have around even in your area?
How many engineering companies do you have around?
Are you the one seeking advice?
Let the person decide what to do.
Look before you insult.
I don't make comments unnecessarily except when I can lend my experience.
In our time a brand new car was just N2000+ which can not buy even spare tyre now.
Any body that wants to study should look for a profession he can practice with minimal assistance.
You can easily raise money to establish a pharmacy even if it is on loan. Can you take a loan to start engineering company so easily?
He proffered two alternatives not just general question.
One is better than the other and to my mind, pharmacy.
Give your own advice and pls keep your head. Don't just talk anyhow pls

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by Rubbiish(m): 8:26pm On Apr 28, 2021
oyejideogunjumo:

To avoid frustration, go for Pharmacy.
Anything Engineering is not ripe for Nigeria because there no enabling environment to practice.
The best is to be a teacher or lecturer .
But you can easily set up your own pharmacy if you don't get job.
Now that government hospitals are not working well everyone furn to private hospitals.
You may join them to save a life or too.
My own opinion
God bless u for your honesty.
There are higher chances of becoming a physics & maths teacher with engineering degree in this country. I wouldn't advice my to choose engineering over pharmacy.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by Rubbiish(m): 8:28pm On Apr 28, 2021
Stevyne:
I'm telling you!
A very lucrative and a professional course
Really?
And we have so many civil engrs in schools teaching maths & physics?

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by aysnoopy(m): 8:34pm On Apr 28, 2021
hakeem4:
I am a civil engineer and I would definitely advise you to do civil engineering.

Nigeria is a developing nation, construction going up and down, you would definitely see jobs to do.

don't worry about quacks in the building industry. most clients would still call you when their buildings and other structures start experiencing cracks.

Please, I study Civil Engineering (2015 HND)
Please if u have vacancy in your firm. I'm jobless and helpless.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by Rubbiish(m): 8:34pm On Apr 28, 2021
KunleyY19:

A registered Engineer can also be using his license to stamp drawings for people and even act as a consultant and he will still make it big... Do you know what it means to stamp and seal a project of even 30m.
Did u consider the Nigeria factor??
& who will give u project of 30m to stamp? undecided
We are talking about worst case scenario & not assumptions. Worst case a civil engr is likely to become a teacher of physics & maths even when they have little capital, they can't set up a construction company, but a pharmacist can set up a small pharmacy and start earning a living.

3 Likes

Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by KunleyY19(m): 8:35pm On Apr 28, 2021
syrecookie:
thanks alot
About the soul searching, I think pharmacy comes more natural to me that Civil engineering

Then go for it... Irrespective of fields you will make a difference once you're steadfast with what you're doing. Anything you want to do make sure you have passion for it and that is what will set you apart from the rest. Because it is that passion that will make you improve yourself when others are whiling away time... When the going gets tough, remember only the tough gets going.
Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by aysnoopy(m): 8:36pm On Apr 28, 2021
Rubbiish:

Really?

Hmmmmn. Exactly.
One of my best friend and a very brilliant young guy in my department end up teaching in a private secondary school
Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by Vaughanlanrewaj: 8:36pm On Apr 28, 2021
Genius101:
make na leave pharmacy alone na
which kind wahala be this
pharmacy vs medicine
pharmacy vs nursing
pharmacy vs med lab
pharmacy vs radiography
pharmacy vs civil engineering

O su mi o.You are so right! It is like Pharmacy alone versus any course gets the best attention and traffic. Someone will soon choose Pharmacivil Engineering now undecided

OP, please do what you love but Pharmacy is more elite,prestigious and exclusive to universities in Nigeria unlike Civil Engineering admission that is more accessible and you can study in Monotechnics, Polytechnics and Universities.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by KunleyY19(m): 8:36pm On Apr 28, 2021
Rubbiish:

Did u consider the Nigeria factor??
& who will give u project of 30m to stamp? undecided
We are talking about worst case scenario & not assumptions. Worst case a civil engr is likely to become a teacher of physics & maths even when they have little capital, they can't set up a construction company, but a pharmacist can set up a small pharmacy and start earning a living.

From your moniker I don't need to talk too much... Construction is not the only the way engineers make money... We have freelance engineers that do designs and Consultancy and depending on how good the Engineer is he can go far without having to beg for food. With a Laptop a Civil Engineering Student is good to know. Who no Know, no go know.
Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by Rubbiish(m): 8:39pm On Apr 28, 2021
Shile981:
Even with my OND in Civil Engineering, I feel like a graduate of Medicine and Surgery who has spent 8years or more in school.
I'm not trying to be exaggerating, Civil Engineering is a course that would open doors of opportunities for you because of the several others careers under CIVIL, the mother of all Engineering.
Go for Civil Engineering, it is not just interesting but also lucrative.
Stop being sentimental!
There is no way u can compare civil engr with pharmacy in Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by Rubbiish(m): 8:49pm On Apr 28, 2021
KunleyY19:

From your moniker I don't need to talk too much... Construction is not the only the way engineers make money... We have freelance engineers that do designs and Consultancy and depending on how good the Engineer is he can go far without having to beg for food. With a Laptop a Civil Engineering Student is good to know. Who no Know, no go know.
Check my posts, I am an architect!
Why choosing a career path, what is considered is worst case scenario, not hopeless assumptions. How many pharmacist do we have in secondary schools teaching physics & maths compare to civil engrs??
Many of u civil engrs struggle with us to survive!
How many road & bridge project dey for Nigeria?
U all rely on buildings to survive, so I know what I am saying. There is no way a honest person will compare civil engr with pharmacy, survival wise! U want to compare construction with health??
Why do u think the health sector requires strict regulation all over the world? Incase u don't know, no profession can measure with health!

3 Likes

Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by micflo28(m): 8:55pm On Apr 28, 2021
Go for computer engineering
Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by Rubbiish(m): 8:56pm On Apr 28, 2021
aysnoopy:

Hmmmmn. Exactly.
One of my best friend and a very brilliant young guy in my department end up teaching in a private secondary school
Exactly!
Back then in school, that was how they were misleading us, just like some post above, u will blow with one contract after graduation. But come see life after graduation, no connection, no contracts! Even when u have up to 1m, u don't know what to do with it, the capital required to set up a construction company is huge, even when u set up construction company, who do u know that will patronize u. Unlike pharmacist, with as low as 500k u can set up a small pharmacy and start earning a living. U don't need connection for passers by to patronize u.

3 Likes

Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by LastDays777: 9:00pm On Apr 28, 2021
Why would someone wants to study pharmakia ?

Oh, only if they are aware
Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by Nelsonobj: 9:00pm On Apr 28, 2021
I have no idea
Mr man go n learn work
Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by Rubbiish(m): 9:02pm On Apr 28, 2021
Emmypure:
Every body is shouting if you don't get job u can open pharmacy shop, shey na sand them dey use open pharmacy shop? Even some one without a pharmacy certificate can decide and open a big pharmacy store, for me I will go for civil engineering,with right connect, bruh u will be fucking rich.
@bold with right connect u become rich with out even going to school! The right connect is the problem, if op have the right connect, he won't come here to seek opinion. Worst case scenario is what we are talking about here, becoming a physics teacher or setting up your own small pharmacy and grow, which do u think is better?
Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by tarboshi(m): 9:06pm On Apr 28, 2021
Don't compare Pharmacy with anything Engineering.

Aside job, Every engineer is trained as a problem solver,. This is a life time asset.

That's why Engineers do very well in management positions.
Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by Stevyne: 9:07pm On Apr 28, 2021
Rubbiish:

Really?
How will I do a professional course and end up being a teacher
Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by hohafrank(m): 9:10pm On Apr 28, 2021
Seek the face of God.He will give you drection.
Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by Speedy001(m): 9:14pm On Apr 28, 2021
hakeem4:
I am a civil engineer and I would definitely advise you to do civil engineering.

Nigeria is a developing nation, construction going up and down, you would definitely see jobs to do.

don't worry about quacks in the building industry. most clients would still call you when their buildings and other structures start experiencing cracks.
am a young civil engineer connect me please
Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by aysnoopy(m): 9:24pm On Apr 28, 2021
Rubbiish:

Exactly!
Back then in school, that was how they were misleading us, just like some post above, u will blow with one contract after graduation. But come see life after graduation, no connection, no contracts! Even when u have up to 1m, u don't know what to do with it, the capital required to set up a construction company is huge, even when u set up construction company, who do u know that will patronize u. Unlike pharmacist, with as low as 500k u can set up a small pharmacy and start earning a living. U don't need connection for passers by to patronize u.

Exactly. Civil engineering job is not easy to get in this country except one travel abroad

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by ProfAmaben(m): 9:29pm On Apr 28, 2021
Computer engineering
Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by DECLAN2015(m): 9:47pm On Apr 28, 2021
KunleyY19:
First of all you must be very brilliant to be able to have the two options on your table. That's a plus to you. But if you do some critical soul searching you will find the aspect of science you feel more comfortable with. A potential Civil Engineering Student should be comfortable with Physics, Further Mathematics, Technical drawing and the likes. While for a Pharmacy student you should be really good with Biology and Chemistry and Mathematics. Fine you might have passed all of this courses in secondary school but I will advise you to pick the one that comes more natural to you.

Now the worst assumption anyone can give you is that Engineering is not worth it in Nigeria gringrin. That's a big lie, some Engineering might not be worth it but trust me Civil Engineering is worth it if you are well grounded in school. I have friends in my class that currently have cars and all came from executing projects whilst we are still UG's. Emphasis on the word knowledgeable. The thing with Engineering is that most students don't realize theirselves until after two years of graduation. But person wey don grab since UG will be making it well. Well I don't know the opportunities that are abound for pharmacy students. I can only speak about Civil.
With Civil Engineering you're spoilt of choices. Well I will still advice you to do some deep soul searching and choose the one that comes easy to you simple. But if you must do Civil Engineering you must be ready to sacrifice you all because incompetence is not rewarded in Engineering and we cannot cover our own mistakes like those in the medical line. To stay ahead of thousands of Civil Engineers currently you have to bring your A game to succeed. And also study Civil Engineering with an Entrepreneurship mindset if not you might end up building people houses and not have one for yourself. Good luck.

What do u mearnt "we can not cover our mistake like those in medical line".All those collapse building na Dr build am
Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by Falconx47: 9:55pm On Apr 28, 2021
syrecookie:
Which of these course guarantees a better life after graduation?

Ps: I have passion for medicine and surgery but I don't want to pursue that passion cause of the length and complications of studying it in Nigeria. So I am looking for a better alternative in either pharmacy or civil engineering, please I really need your sincere opinions(preferably from experts in either fields).
Need something lucrative in Nigeria and abroad(the money is needed oo, studying in Nigeria is hard enough).

Like you have realized, studying a 5-year course is a tedious task, a very long time to waste doing something you will not follow through to the end.

How did you move from the medical field to civil engineering?

Think about what you see yourself doing in the future. Another factor to always look out for are courses you can stand alone and be useful even if jobs don't come...good enough, both civil and pharmacy have that potential.

Both courses also have good prospects globally, it boils down to which one you'll enjoy, and follow through to mastery.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Better, Pharmacy Or Civil Engineering? by Alexis11: 10:09pm On Apr 28, 2021
adanny01:

To succeed in Civil engineering, you must be enterprising and an entrepreneur. Once good in all 3 skill set, you are sure to hammer better than a Pharmacist

Lol... delusion.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

NAAPE Shuts Down Bristow Helicopters Over Sack Of 13 Nigerian Pilots,10 Engineer / Should I Sacrifice My Laboratory Technician Career For Programming ? / Should I Sack My Driver Or Not?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.