Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:05 AM

Timipre Sylva: Why FG Can’t Continue Fuel Subsidy - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Timipre Sylva: Why FG Can’t Continue Fuel Subsidy (16350 Views)

FG Can’t Continue To Subsidise Electricity — Power Minister, Adebayo Adelabu / Nigeria Can’t Continue To Be Father Christmas To Neighbouring Countries – Tinubu / Nigeria Can’t Continue Borrowing, Lawan Says (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Re: Timipre Sylva: Why FG Can’t Continue Fuel Subsidy by Nobody: 7:28am On May 02, 2021
timberprides:
na u dey give dis our corrupt leader mind...make ipob n afonjas catch u, u go yeh wuen

Considering that removning subsidy will

1.End corruption in the subsidy regime

2.Attract more investment and more jobs

3.End smuggling and loss of money

I doubt that our leaders would be taking a bad decision

Besides, our corrupt leaders won't listen to people like me....considering that they have kept up the subsidy for decades.

1 Like

Re: Timipre Sylva: Why FG Can’t Continue Fuel Subsidy by oloriooko(m): 11:01am On May 05, 2021
Stop peddling lies around jare
How many scarcity have we had in this evil dominated regime?
GEJ wanted to remove subsidy to make fuel available but the demented members of this senseless regime fought against it now you telling me bubu made product available after increasing prices how many times.
Who told you if GEJ had removed subsidy product wouldn't be available?
Pls stop defending eediots it makes you look them.

Sirjamo:
Answer the question if you can.

Each president ran a subsidy regime. One made the product available, the other always give us scarcity, which is better?

Stop writing long epistles, just tell which did better as far as fuel supply is concerned.
Re: Timipre Sylva: Why FG Can’t Continue Fuel Subsidy by Cromagnon: 9:23pm On May 08, 2021
Lazycapitalist2:
As usual, Nigerians want fuel for free, without an idea as to how expensive fuel really is

Ok, fuel subsidy has to go. Now, I don't like APC, and neither do i like PDP, but I am here to say that fuel subsidy needs to go.

1.First, it costs over a trillion naira annually to keep fuel at the price it is right now. Money that we do not have because since 2014, oil has been at a price that is too low to sustain us, and if we keep on keeping the subsidy, we would end up taking more loans to keep our head above water.

2.Second, we are inessence subsidisng the whole West African subregion, at our expense. On average, fuel costs twice as much in the rest of ECOWAS region, compared to us, and unless we totally close down every border, and build a wall that encompasses the whole country, smuggling is going to continue, so either we end subsidy, or continue paying for the whole West Africa to enjoy subsidsed fuel at our expense.

3.We cannot have new refinereis, more than what we have, plus the NNPC refienres are broken down because subsidy. Because when you subsidsie fuel, that means that the refinereis run at al loss, meaning not enough money to fix them well. We have been running our refienreis at a loss since the late 1980's. And unless subsidy goes, not only would they continue to be out of repair, but even new ones like Dangote will end up like the NNPC refinereis, because you cannot run them at a loss.

4.Even the poverty excuse runs lame. Niger, Mali, Burkina, Guinea, Liberia, Sierra Leone, are all porrer than us, yet they pay more for fuel. Ghana and BENIN AND Niger all have crude, even Chad, yet fuel costs over N300 per liter. If they are surviving, why can't we...and yes, I am sorry for being harsh, but it is the truth.

5.Subsidy is somehting that is prone to serious corruption. Whether it is the transporter claiming subsidy for oil never lifted, or the marketer claiming subsidy for oil not sold in Nigeria, but in Cameroonor Niger or Benin, at a profit...it is a nidus for corrution. Asking government to keep subsidisng corruption...when we don't have the money...is bad.

So, I agree 100% with the ministe.r And yes, I HATE APC, I LOATHE THE PARTY, just as i loathed PDP. But we cannot keep on throwing 1.2 trillion naira down a big hole every year. We have to attract investment and jobs, and increas eproduction...and the only way is by removign subsidy.

So before you quote me to abuse me and talk grammar, read these points. And focus on the diagram attached. And see why subsidy is bad. We cannot continue like this. We have destroyed our domestic oil industry, and we now pay other countries dollars to develop their oil industry, all because we want cheap fuel
wahala de o.
How do we wean our people off wanting free stuff without being impeached or revolution

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

CAN, HURIWA Ask El-Rufai To Resign Over Kidnap Of 26 Baptist Students / FG Charges Ekweremadu, Akpan With Refusal To Declare Assets / Honour EFCC Invitation While You Have The Chance - Natasha Tells Yahaya Bello

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.