Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,692 members, 7,809,613 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:59 AM

Say No To Military Coup Detat In Nigeria - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Say No To Military Coup Detat In Nigeria (1854 Views)

Datti: Swearing In Tinubu Is Like Handing Over To Military Coup Plotter (Video) / Notorious Terrorist Bello Turji To Military: Why Have You Not Killed Me? / Emmanuel Nwobosi And Nnamdi Kanu Meet In Israel, Speaks On 1966 Military Coup (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Say No To Military Coup Detat In Nigeria by tommy589(m): 8:11pm On May 04, 2021
samdunzo:

What is needed is a switch to parliamentary system. Why would anyone be asking for a dictator after seeing how woefully a supposed "strongman" like buhari has failed. This is the problem is presidentialism as a whole. If it even has its flaws in America, how do you expect it to work in a country as diverse as Nigeria. Switch to parliamentary system with proportional representation

When I talk of strong man I meant Ataturk, Nasser etc. Buhari is a weak man, he hides is weakness by not talking.

We should have an home grown democracy not western adopted. I did not recommend benevolent dictatorship because I like it,but those developed nations that started same time with us created a version of democracy that keeps a party or leader at helms of affairs for over 20-30 years. Check India,malaysia,singapore,rwanda etc

This sit tight leadership did not become obvious because those countries were experiencing growth.
When 7 points agenda becomes 1 point agenda within 2 years. No country develops when country policy get changed with change of leadership.
Re: Say No To Military Coup Detat In Nigeria by samdunzo: 3:21am On May 05, 2021
tommy589:

When I talk of strong man I meant Ataturk, Nasser etc. Buhari is a weak man, he hides is weakness by not talking.

We should have an home grown democracy not western adopted. I did not recommend benevolent dictatorship because I like it,but those developed nations that started same time with us created a version of democracy that keeps a party or leader at helms of affairs for over 20-30 years. Check India,malaysia,singapore,rwanda etc

This sit tight leadership did not become obvious because those countries were experiencing growth.
When 7 points agenda becomes 1 point agenda within 2 years. No country develops when country policy get changed with change of leadership.

I think we've had enough experience with strongmen to know that a "benevolent dictator" wont happen in Africa, especially Nigeria. Last time someone had that in mind, it led to a civil war and 33 years of military rule. What we need is a system that prevents strongmen from rising while managing our ethnoreligious diversity. Parliamentary systems are far more equipped for this task in my opinion, especially a parliamentary system with proportional representation as is seen in Europe. In fact, the African countries with the highest HDI use variants of parliamentary systems. Coincidence? I think not

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Say No To Military Coup Detat In Nigeria by Kingspin(m): 3:48am On May 05, 2021
Curious345:
Nigeria has had it's share of bad leadership ,both military and civilian.

We all agree that the current junta heading out dear nation is noting to write home about , it's ticks all the boxes OF BAD LEADERSHIP.

We all know when the head is sick ,the body shivers.

But thinkering on a military take over can be immature at this point .
Yeah we should press the zombie-rubberstamp-robotic national assembly to impeach the cabal in the villa.

AT THIS stage , guns may not be necessary to effect a change . A change we so dearly need .

A lot of bad things will happen if there is a coup .
But Nigeria will do better if there is a successful impeachment..

But before impeaching this current junta , I implore the national assembly to give the cabal 40days to turn things around , failure of which they should be booted out via constitutional means ..

You buy into these tiny distraction by Buhari led government.

Op Use your head.

Nobody is planning coup anyway.
This government are useless deceivers.
Re: Say No To Military Coup Detat In Nigeria by tit(f): 4:41am On May 05, 2021
What did buhari do to shagari?

karma is a female dog
Re: Say No To Military Coup Detat In Nigeria by Powersurge: 6:32am On May 05, 2021
Curious345:
Biafra like oduduwa are an integral part of our dear nation.
But we must all pursue unrestricted automy via restructuring, anything outside that is completely and absolutely rabbitshit

Nigga it's ur nation not our nation. Any Yoruba or Yoruboid that sees himself as a Nigerian is brain dead. What's Nigeria? A name giving to a people by a woman having orgasm?
Re: Say No To Military Coup Detat In Nigeria by FarahAideed: 6:51am On May 05, 2021
Curious345:
Nigeria has had it's share of bad leadership ,both military and civilian.

We all agree that the current junta heading out dear nation is noting to write home about , it's ticks all the boxes OF BAD LEADERSHIP.

We all know when the head is sick ,the body shivers.

But thinkering on a military take over can be immature at this point .
Yeah we should press the zombie-rubberstamp-robotic national assembly to impeach the cabal in the villa.

AT THIS stage , guns may not be necessary to effect a change . A change we so dearly need .

A lot of bad things will happen if there is a coup .
But Nigeria will do better if there is a successful impeachment..

But before impeaching this current junta , I implore the national assembly to give the cabal 40days to turn things around , failure of which they should be booted out via constitutional means ..

I see you are stilll sympathetic towards the Buhari govt ...so you still believe this NASS can impeach bUhari cheesy. .in Egypt the military stepped in a saved the country from the Islamic Brotherhood of President Morsi when it became clear they were going to burn down the country
Re: Say No To Military Coup Detat In Nigeria by tommy589(m): 8:52am On May 05, 2021
samdunzo:

I think we've had enough experience with strongmen to know that a "benevolent dictator" wont happen in Africa, especially Nigeria. Last time someone had that in mind, it led to a civil war and 33 years of military rule. What we need is a system that prevents strongmen from rising while managing our ethnoreligious diversity. Parliamentary systems are far more equipped for this task in my opinion, especially a parliamentary system with proportional representation as is seen in Europe. In fact, the African countries with the highest HDI use variants of parliamentary systems. Coincidence? I think not

Parliamentary system was getting out of control that was the allegation that led to the first coup. Corruption,killings and incarcerations of political opponents were rife. Political crimes of that time is now a child's play compared to what we have now.

Nigeria was established as a secular state, bearing in mind the ethnic and religious diversity. Now,we found ourselves as member of OIC and practice Sharia in some states. If we revert back to parliamentary system,is it possible to withdraw from OIC and also vote out Sharia and go back to penal code?

Russia,China,Indonesia,Turkey,Malaysia etc are multi ethnic nations,they are growing because of the local political system developed that suits their society,not copied

Let me remind you,all the developed western nations of today,except USA did not start with parliamentary system or democracy. Even when they started,the bulk of the power was in the palace,and in time power gradually shifts to the people.

I am not advocating for a benevolent dictator because I think it's the best. But we need someone in power for 10-15 years, that won't be partisan and will lead by examples. A strong man that will crush favouritism and other issues that undermine the growth of this country before true democracy can thrive.
Re: Say No To Military Coup Detat In Nigeria by Curious345: 11:33am On May 05, 2021
tommy589:

Parliamentary system was getting out of control that was the allegation that led to the first coup. Corruption,killings and incarcerations of political opponents were rife. Political crimes of that time is now a child's play compared to what we have now.

Nigeria was established as a secular state, bearing in mind the ethnic and religious diversity. Now,we found ourselves as member of OIC and practice Sharia in some states. If we revert back to parliamentary system,is it possible to withdraw from OIC and also vote out Sharia and go back to penal code?

Russia,China,Indonesia,Turkey,Malaysia etc are multi ethnic nations,they are growing because of the local political system developed that suits their society,not copied

Let me remind you,all the developed western nations of today,except USA did not start with parliamentary system or democracy. Even when they started,the bulk of the power was in the palace,and in time power gradually shifts to the people.

I am not advocating for a benevolent dictator because I think it's the best. But we need someone in power for 10-15 years, that won't be partisan and will lead by examples. A strong man that will crush favouritism and other issues that undermine the growth of this country before true democracy can thrive.
I support this in many ways, but I have exceptions ..
Re: Say No To Military Coup Detat In Nigeria by samdunzo: 9:31pm On May 05, 2021
tommy589:

Fair point but the nations you mentioned are fairly homogenous. China, for instance, was ruled under a single dynasty for thousands of years. Nigeria, on the other hand, is a nation of nations, each with their own style of doing things. We are more similar to India than China. You cant expect to force the style of a Hausa man on a Yoruba/Igbo man and expect peace to reign. That is why I said we need a system that can bring good governance while balancing our diversity. Parliamentary systems do that best in my opinion
Re: Say No To Military Coup Detat In Nigeria by tommy589(m): 1:07am On May 06, 2021
samdunzo:

Fair point but the nations you mentioned are fairly homogenous. China, for instance, was ruled under a single dynasty for thousands of years. Nigeria, on the other hand, is a nation of nations, each with their own style of doing things. We are more similar to India than China. You cant expect to force the style of a Hausa man on a Yoruba/Igbo man and expect peace to reign. That is why I said we need a system that can bring good governance while balancing our diversity. Parliamentary systems do that best in my opinion

If china was ruled by a single dynasty for a thousand year, it did not stop rebellions or other dynasties from emerging. It was a strife torn nation until their last civil war that brought their form of democracy grin
Somali and Libya are homogeneous,did it stop them from civil wars? I totally agree with you that we can do better under parliamentary system but we must do an house sweeping of 10-15 years before proceeding to a new political system. Minus the jail terms and firing squad, Rawlings is a good example
Re: Say No To Military Coup Detat In Nigeria by samdunzo: 1:53am On May 06, 2021
tommy589:

If china was ruled by a single dynasty for a thousand year, it did not stop rebellions or other dynasties from emerging. It was a strife torn nation until their last civil war that brought their form of democracy grin
Somali and Libya are homogeneous,did it stop them from civil wars? I totally agree with you that we can do better under parliamentary system but we must do an house sweeping of 10-15 years before proceeding to a new political system. Minus the jail terms and firing squad, Rawlings is a good example

Lol true. But you can still have that benevolent dictator under a parliamentary system. Lee Kwan Yew of Singapore comes to mind. In fact, I think African leaders would appreciate the fact that term limits arent really a thing with parliamentary systems. Germany's Merkel has been there for how long, no complaints
Re: Say No To Military Coup Detat In Nigeria by Anieke39(m): 1:19pm On May 07, 2021
orion7:

Does Anieke mean born on eke day?

I'm learning ibo cool
yes dear and also nieke. Will be glad to teach you igbo

(1) (2) (Reply)

Just In: APGA In Trouble As New Anambra LGA Results Drop / The Man Who Saw Tomorrow And Warned Us Against It!! / Despite Its Huge Oil, Bayelsa Has The Highest Malnurished People In The World.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.