Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,457 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:37 PM

Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! (7332 Views)

Switching From Account To Tech / Switching From Chemistry To Chemical Engineering / Career Advice: Should I Leave The Private Sector For The Public Sector? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by TheresaMarii(f): 12:14pm On May 08, 2021
Hello nairaland,
My name is Theresa and I'm from Lome. Please I'm currently in at a cross road and I need an advise.
My current contract job will be over in a few weeks although I have a chance of extending it if I want and luckily, I got a new and better job with another big firm in Lome (resumption is in a few weeks). Now, the twist is that, I also got an offer from an international organisation in Kenya but I can't resume until November.
Should I leave my current job, start the new one in Lome and leave after few months to Kenya? Or I should manage with my current job until November?

Please I need advice and if possible, this should make it to front page of the forum. Thanks!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by Barbiturate(m): 12:29pm On May 08, 2021
You need to compare the salaries (u did not mention) and compare company strength! Your suggestion is good but don't resign at any until you get the appointment letter of the next.

Can you connect me with the old one in lome? I don't mind traveling down to lome. What's the job about?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by aidameoryou: 10:11am On May 09, 2021
CAPT. DAVE
#COYB #KTBFFH

1 Like

Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by BigDawsNet: 10:11am On May 09, 2021
You have the right answer to your question

start the new one in Lome and leave after few months to Kenya... You definitely need to save cash for your trip and settling when you land in Kenya

Goodluck

Nice to have a neighbouring citizen on nairaland cool

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by oluwaseyi0: 10:12am On May 09, 2021
don't pity companies, only pity yourself

Leave the small one, go for the big one then when November comes go for the bigger one, if another bigger one comes go for it

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by OakConsultNG: 10:12am On May 09, 2021
Okay then..
Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by money121(m): 10:12am On May 09, 2021
Ok
Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by EFGH: 10:12am On May 09, 2021
Ok
Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by Tinyemeka(m): 10:13am On May 09, 2021
smiley
Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by mrnairaland1(m): 10:13am On May 09, 2021
Let's here from other colleagues here
Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by Tinyemeka(m): 10:13am On May 09, 2021
TheresaMarii:
Hello nairaland,
My name is Theresa and I'm from Lome. Please I'm currently in at a cross road and I need an advise.
My current contract job will be over in a few weeks although I have a chance of extending it if I want and luckily, I got a new and better job with another big firm in Lome (resumption is in a few weeks). Now, the twist is that, I also got an offer from an international organisation in Kenya but I can't resume until November.
Should I leave my current job, start the new one in Lome and leave after few months to Kenya? Or I should manage with my current job until November?

Please I need advice and if possible, this should make it to front page of the forum. Thanks!

I try to look at the bigger picture in addition to some other factors before making a job change.

Some critical information is missing so I'll respond with what you've posted.

You seem to have answered your question when you said the new Lome offer is better than your current one. Are they of the same career path that you wish to pursue? How do their overall benefits (not just monthly netpay) compare? How about the quality of work experience? Answer those questions then decide for yourself.

I haven't handled a contract position before, except for my very first appointment offer (sales position) which I did for barely 3 months before moving on, so I can't lay claim to being knowledgeable about the career paths of contract-based, determinate-period jobs, but from the little I've read and heard, I understand that the wider the variety and range of experience you have, the better and faster your career growth. That being said, I would also advise that you take the Kenyan job offer when it becomes due. You will gain a wider international exposure.

embarassed. I'm definitely out of my depth here.

5 Likes

Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by Executiv(m): 10:13am On May 09, 2021
Where una deh see these jobs seff

2 Likes

Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by OmovuduTheBeast(f): 10:13am On May 09, 2021
Agwo nuo na akirika.
Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by Nobody: 10:14am On May 09, 2021
Congrats....
Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by vibbb: 10:14am On May 09, 2021
Ofcos yes in ma opinion. There's always a new experience to learn at every stage and one thing is certain your package will always get better at every opportunity and you can give them a better term and conditions that suit you at the process of negotiating.
All the best.
Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by Seniorwriter(m): 10:17am On May 09, 2021
@OP.....Do your best to act in the best of your interest ....
Executiv:
Where una deh see these jobs seff
There are jobs everywhere! Howbeit not everyone can accept or fit into these jobs !
Be a little more proactive in earning rather than in search of jobs.
The new ideology is that of seeking earnings ways & not that of seeking jobs...know this and smile to alerts daily, weekly or monthly.

@Seniorwriter

1 Like

Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by Depot(m): 10:18am On May 09, 2021
Switching jobs is the easiest way to grow fast. Switch as more as you can. Embrace any better offer that comes your way. Good luck.
Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by potbelly(m): 10:26am On May 09, 2021
Move to the job in Lome then leave close to the period of resumption for the job in Kenya...

1 Like

Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by revived: 10:29am On May 09, 2021
E go be
Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by BarrElChapo(m): 10:32am On May 09, 2021
Leave for the new place, by November you'd decide whether to move to Kenya or stick with them. Besides it's good for your resume as you'd have gotten invaluable work experience in different organisations which is a plus for your future growth and development, career wise. Goodluck

1 Like

Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by Subsea101: 10:36am On May 09, 2021
Lol, when these companies want to lay off, they wont consider your opinion/condition whatsoever, my advice is this, put yourself FIRST, if you feel you'll make more money or gain better experience from the second job, no matter how short the time might be before the third offer, go for it.
When November comes, leave the second and move ahead to the third. If you see a better job offer during your third sojourn (more exposure and/or better pay), Jappa

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by BruncleZuma: 10:39am On May 09, 2021
TheresaMarii:
Hello nairaland,

Resume the one in Lome and bugout to Kenya in November, you don't owe any of these organisations loyalty.

1 Like

Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by DonOms(m): 11:12am On May 09, 2021
Hi TheresaMarii

Besides the pay, does the new Lome job offer good prospects and will it also offer new experience and also look good on your resume even if it is 4 months you spend there?
If yes, take the new Lome job and gain that experience until November when you can resign and move to Kenya.
If No, you can consider to stay put at your contract job if the Kenya job is certain without fail.
You need to look at the big picture when considering career progression.

You should also watch out for the contract you'll be signing at the big firm in Lome. Will it easily allow you leave to take the Kenya job without impacting you financially and all? If yes, do take it. If No, you may want to reconsider.

All the best.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by Odidigboigbo(m): 11:32am On May 09, 2021
My younger brother is in almost similar situation. He has been working as a network engineer in an ICT firm, recently he got an appointment to resume work in a shipping company as a system Administrator, whose pay is twice his current pay. But has some reservations;
He complained of meeting old, old men in the organisation that are less inclined with Current technologies in ICT and secondly, being a shipping company, the Job may likely hinder his growth in the field of ICT.
Please kindly advise as well
Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by sisisioge: 11:40am On May 09, 2021
Leave your current job, start the new one, exit properly and stake up the one in Kenya. We apologise in advance for wasting their time but every recruiter knows that attrition is highly likely in the first 3months of a new recruit stay in an organisation. Biko go and experience something new before leaving. Good luck

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by sisisioge: 11:44am On May 09, 2021
Odidigboigbo:
My younger brother is in almost similar situation. He has been working as a network engineer in an ICT firm, recently he got an appointment to resume work in a shipping company as a system Administrator, whose pay is twice his current pay. But has some reservations;
He complained of meeting old, old men in the organisation that are less inclined with Current technologies in ICT and secondly, being a shipping company, the Job may likely hinder his growth in the field of ICT.
Please kindly advise as well

Its still a win win for him o...let him go to the shipping company.

If he stays back here, he would none the less continue to search, right? If he goes to the new coy and doesn't like it there, he will none the less continue to search. Why not move to get more? He would at least gain two things there...experience and more money. Good luck to him.

2 Likes

Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by saajus: 11:46am On May 09, 2021
Congratulations. If the salary difference is huge, move. If the difference is not very significant, wait till November and move to the Job in Kenya. Changing jobs give a little bit of psychological stress but if the pay worth it, move and move again.

Theresa, never pity your employer cos everyone is replaceable. Remember, they will never hesitate to fire you if something goes wrong and they need to downsize. Concerning job matters, put yourself first in any decision you wanna take.
Re: Switching Jobs: Career Advice Needed! by Nobody: 12:06pm On May 09, 2021
can I be your friend shocked

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Basics Of Professional PR In Nigeria / Everything About TEFL Career For Nigerians / Career Choice After Studying Marketing?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.