Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,563 members, 7,820,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:44 AM

Disquiet In UCH Ibadan As Management Accused Of Short-Changing Interns - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Disquiet In UCH Ibadan As Management Accused Of Short-Changing Interns (11264 Views)

MRI Machine At UCH Ibadan Is Not Working. Patients Suffering. / Photo Of The Building Of UCH, Ibadan In 1955 / UCH Ibadan Labelled Death Trap After Lady Died Due To Alleged Negligence (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Re: Disquiet In UCH Ibadan As Management Accused Of Short-Changing Interns by Nobody: 6:18pm On May 12, 2021
sonnie10:

The information you provided does not bear credence to your stance. If 2.4% of pharmacist are in academics and 2.3% are in the industrial sector, then we can conclude that there are no significant variations in these numbers. All along, finding major difference in employment areas has been a great part of the focus of your position.

In addition to that, the data you presented show that majority of pharmacist are in "community practice" about 58%. On the discussion paragraph of the article, this percentage was further expanded upon. They stated that 56 % of those are into retails while about 38% are into wholesales. As you can see, these figures support the fact that majority of pharmacist are into the business selling medications in bulk and not into academics and hospital employment as you earlier stated.

Now think about this, why do you see most medications sold by pharmacists (about 58% of registered pharmacist) labelled as "produced for XYZ by ABC"? Here is the interpretation. They source for these medications either by direct production, proxy production or import and then register those as generic versions and sell for profit. This has been my position in this discussion.

Numbers don't lie. Now, lets recap.
2.4% are academicians
2.3% are in industrial sector
58% are in community sector (wholesalers are retailers). Pay attention this particular number, note that these are not just ordinary people businesses but those businesses that are owned and operated by pharmacists.

I am worn out already, I must admit.

You are trying so hard to make this discussion about business opportunities for pharmacists. That has never been the discussion between us. I told you earlier to note when I entered this discussion. It was when you replied someone thus: Not patent Sir. As a pharmacist, Just register any generic medication with your name brand under NAFDAC. Push it into the market and see if your generation story will not change. There are tens of thousand of popular brand you can legally register and produce generic version of them. .

I then asked you how many pharmacists in Nigeria are really into this business of registering a product and producing the generic version. That was when you listed Emzor, Bayer and Orange and the discussion began.

Now let's go to the chart. Pharmacists in Nigeria are into;

1. Community pharmacy (56.2%) - selling) dispensing medications (whether wholesale or retail)
2. Hospital (19.6%).
3. Administrative (3.9%)
4. Academics (2.4%)
5. Industrial (2.3%).

So from the chart, most pharmacists are into community pharmacy and hospital work (as against my assertion of academics and hospital work). Now, the industrial sector that you are hyping that many pharmacists are in has the lowest number of pharmacists. Within that industrial sector, many of the pharmacists are employees. Only a very few are into owning companies that produce generic medications. So, what is behind your assertion that many pharmacists are into the business of producing generic medications in Nigeria?

You asked me to take a look into the numbers for community pharmacy (wholesale and retail). Why should I? Is that the point of our discussion? Did I tell you pharmacists are not into the business of SELLING medicine (whether wholesale or retail)?

My point remains this: Very infinitesimal number of pharmacists own companies that produce medicine in Nigeria. Many drug producing companies in Nigeria are not owned by pharmacists, majority only work in such companies while a fraction are partners because of their license"

Now think about this, why do you see most medications sold by pharmacists (about 58% of registered pharmacist) labelled as "produced for XYZ by ABC"? Here is the interpretation. They source for these medications either by direct production, proxy production or import and then register those as generic versions and sell for profit. This has been my position in this discussion.

You are wrong. First, the 56.2 (don't know where you got 58%) of pharmacists that are into community pharmacy and sell medications (retail and wholesale) sell majorly IMPORTED MEDICATIONS. This is not hard to fathom. 70% of medicines in Nigeria are imported. Most medications sold by pharmacists in Nigeria are not labelled produced by XYZ for ABC. They are labelled "produced in India" "Produced in China" Produced in UK" "Produced in US" etc

Secondly, I stand to be corrected, but when a medicine packet reads produced for XYZ by ABC, it simply means the company (ABC) produces the medicine, let's say in India, sends to a wholesale Company in Nigeria (XYZ) which makes the wholesale Company the Major distributor of that product in Nigeria.
Re: Disquiet In UCH Ibadan As Management Accused Of Short-Changing Interns by sonnie10: 11:15pm On May 12, 2021
Meninmen:

You are trying so hard to make this discussion about business opportunities for pharmacists. That has never been the discussion between us. I told you earlier to note when I entered this discussion. It was when you replied someone thus: Not patent Sir. As a pharmacist, Just register any generic medication with your name brand under NAFDAC. Push it into the market and see if your generation story will not change. There are tens of thousand of popular brand you can legally register and produce generic version of them. .

I then asked you how many pharmacists in Nigeria are really into this business of registering a product and producing the generic version. That was when you listed Emzor, Bayer and Orange and the discussion began.

Now let's go to the chart. Pharmacists in Nigeria are into;

1. Community pharmacy (56.2%) - selling) dispensing medications (whether wholesale or retail)
2. Hospital (19.6%).
3. Administrative (3.9%)
4. Academics (2.4%)
5. Industrial (2.3%).

So from the chart, most pharmacists are into community pharmacy and hospital work (as against my assertion of academics and hospital work). Now, the industrial sector that you are hyping that many pharmacists are in has the lowest number of pharmacists. Within that industrial sector, many of the pharmacists are employees. Only a very few are into owning companies that produce generic medications. So, what is behind your assertion that many pharmacists are into the business of producing generic medications in Nigeria?

You asked me to take a look into the numbers for community pharmacy (wholesale and retail). Why should I? Is that the point of our discussion? Did I tell you pharmacists are not into the business of SELLING medicine (whether wholesale or retail)?

My point remains this: Very infinitesimal number of pharmacists own companies that produce medicine in Nigeria. Many drug producing companies in Nigeria are not owned by pharmacists, majority only work in such companies while a fraction are partners because of their license"

You are wrong. First, the 56.2 (don't know where you got 58%) of pharmacists that are into community pharmacy and sell medications (retail and wholesale) sell majorly IMPORTED MEDICATIONS. This is not hard to fathom. 70% of medicines in Nigeria are imported. Most medications sold by pharmacists in Nigeria are not labelled produced by XYZ for ABC. They are labelled "produced in India" "Produced in China" Produced in UK" "Produced in US" etc

Secondly, I stand to be corrected, but when a medicine packet reads produced for XYZ by ABC, it simply means the company (ABC) produces the medicine, let's say in India, sends to a wholesale Company in Nigeria (XYZ) which makes the wholesale Company the Major distributor of that product in Nigeria.

I admit my error in using the word Producing lossly. That is where the confusion lies. Remember I was having this conservative with Keke riders so I had room to throw in those words without strict definition.
Now producing in that context meant sourcing. Whether it is through actual production, produced and packed for, produced overseas and import etc.

You keep taking about the 70% of medication in Nigeria being imported as if that figure really matters.
This is just like someone telling me that my AC uses 70% of my electricity consumption. What does it matter in the whole picture? Is my TV, radio fridge , fan and other appliances not working alongside efficiently?
I only care about the 30% medication left and who is cashing out from it?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Lagos To Set Up Medical Park On Awolowo Road, Ikoyi / Can Whisky Terminate Pregnancy? / Tips For Nursing Mothers On How To Increase Bosom Milk Supply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.