Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,523 members, 7,819,883 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:53 AM

SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria (23885 Views)

NCC To Telecom Operators: All SIMs not linked To NIN Must Be Blocked Today / NCC To Increase Price Of Data To 250MB For N1000 / Telecoms Beg NCC To Block Whatsapp, Skype, IMO And Other OTT Services (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by banty: 1:42am On May 11, 2021
Nothing comes free, especially telecommunication services..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by Scopexchange(m): 1:47am On May 11, 2021
The starlink does not have a data cap, just the $99 monthly subscription
bcomputer101:
We are not interested in all this grammar.

Wetting we wan hear be say, how much you wan charge per MB
Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by meobizy(f): 1:49am On May 11, 2021
Satellite broadband is two steps backward. The future is fibre optics. Although the download speed is fast (as at 2010), the upload speed is pretty slow. I’ll stick to what telecom companies are offering for the time being.

1 Like

Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by generationz(f): 2:08am On May 11, 2021
They will ask for a bribe first. angry
Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by Yankee101: 2:17am On May 11, 2021
Mtn and co go cry

But competition is good for the people

Dangote cement is next
Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by Fiyin007: 2:25am On May 11, 2021
meobizy:
Satellite broadband is two steps backward. The future is fibre optics. Although the download speed is fast (as at 2010), the upload speed is pretty slow. I’ll stick to what telecom companies are offering for the time being.

Just one question which of your telecoms company is offering unlimited data at a minimum speed of 150mbps and latency of 30ms run a speed test and display the results. smiley

4 Likes

Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by Nobody: 2:37am On May 11, 2021
Invest where successful people invest in. While those yeye automobiles moved to Ghana, the ones who own the future of businesses chose Nigeria. The Nigerian market share is huge. Even twitter went to Ghana. The question is that how much of benefit is Twitter to the economic of the nation they are in? Those companies running to Ghana know that bigger companies will kill them in Nigeria. So, they are where they can make their tiny profit. That's all.
Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by Mayflowa(m): 2:45am On May 11, 2021
dbtt:
As other foreign investors are leaving and avoiding Nigeria. Elon musk is coming to Nigeria.

This is what makes him different. I hope he will be the yeast that will spur our digital infrastructure .

I dont know what spacex saw. But we need to take advantage of this.

But, Chief Imam Patanmi is the minister of communication

200Million people! That is a charm. Insecurity finished us

1 Like

Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by Oyiboman69: 2:54am On May 11, 2021
Emmaomotob:
I believe that this is a revolution taking place in our generation. Just as Henry Ford revolutionized the car making industry and Whatsapp brought cheap and unlimited calls (Video and Voice), SpaceX and Facebook are about to do the same for the internet. This would be a make quality education easily available in the poorest countries of the world and therefore speed Africa's entry into civilization.

1 Like

Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by Vaughanlanrewaj: 3:05am On May 11, 2021
dbtt:
As other foreign investors are leaving and avoiding Nigeria. Elon musk is coming to Nigeria.

This is what makes him different. I hope he will be the yeast that will spur our digital infrastructure .

No serious multinational is leaving Nigeria! The land will not bless those who curse it. Don't be naive. Some Nigerians are buying up these assets! An individual bought Shoprite, Tony Elumelu just bought Shell Assets, Olam even bought Dangote Flour and foreign owners of nestle, Heineken, etc have been buying up their company shares since last year further increasing their stake in their branches in Nigeria . The biggest brewer in the world bought up nearly all the right issue by International Breweries just few months ago and you are here lamenting as if the book of lamentation is written for you alone.

You still don't get why Elon is here? O ga o.
To make it simple for you, the total worth of Elon is over $100B but the whole GDP of Ghana is less than $50B while Nigerian GDP is around $500B, do the comparison and you will see why Facebook, Google, Microsoft and now SpaceX called Nigeria home.

This is a motley of the smartest people in the world and they chose Nigeria because they know the real deal.
While most of you were wasting time demarketing Nigeria online thinking you are doing Buhari, these guys have hired smart guys to do their market feasibility and they see huge opportunities for their wealth to grow only in Nigeria.
Nigeria is the place to be in Africa. It will do most of you like filmtrick when the next generation of billionaires will be the children of todays farmers let alone those already finding the value chain of these multibillion dollar investments coming to Nigeria.visit www.freestuffsng.com for latest freestuffs in Nigeria. God bless Nigeria.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by Oyiboman69: 3:08am On May 11, 2021
dbtt:

it will still establish its headquarter and even starts it another African country than Nigeria. Who on his right frame of mind will establish his business on an unstable environment where terrorism kidnapping and banditry shielded by an incompetent government is on it's peak; have you forgot that the American government declared Nigeria a no safe place for their citizens?. Sorry to burst your bubble my dear...this one will also slip into the hands of another African country;the chance is hundred percent sure....

2 Likes

Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by RingRoadMafia: 3:23am On May 11, 2021
nextstep:

He's about ushering the future: fully electric cars, human missions to mars, commercial missions to the moon, solar homes, etc.

Once you have launch capability, might as well diversify your business: have people pay for satellites in space to provide internet, which in turn funds your mars missions...

What African countries are yet to realize is that we can benefit from providing an enabling environment. Elon won't have been able to accomplish much if he had remained in South Africa.

Watch how people like that useless righteousness2 who abhor scientific advancement will soon cook up fake stories about how he's the anti-christ. To them, anybody doing it big in the world stage wants to give them mark of the beast cheesy

3 Likes

Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by Oyiboman69: 3:27am On May 11, 2021
Vaughanlanrewaj:

No serious multinational is leaving Nigeria! The land will not bless those who curse it. Don't be naive. Some Nigerians are buying up these assets! An individual bought Shoprite, Tony Elumelu just bought Shell Assets, Olam even bought Dangote Flour and foreign owners of nestle, Heineken, etc have been buying up their company shares since last year further increasing their stake in their branches in Nigeria . The biggest brewer in the world bought up nearly all the right issue by International Breweries just few months ago and you are here lamenting as if the book of lamentation is written for you alone.

To make it simple for you, the total worth of Elon is over $100B but the whole GDP of Ghana is less than $50B while Nigerian GDP is around $500B, do the comparison and you will see why Facebook, Google, Microsoft and now SpaceX called Nigeria home.

This is a motley of the smartest people in the world and they chose Nigeria because they know the real deal.
While most of you were wasting time demarketing Nigeria online thinking you are doing Buhari, these guys have hired smart guys to do their market feasibility and they see huge opportunities for their wealth to grow only in Nigeria.
Nigeria is the place to be in Africa. It will do most of you like filmtrick when the next generation of billionaires will be the children of todays farmers let alone those already finding the value chain of these multibillion dollar investments coming to Nigeria.visit www.freestuffsng.com for latest freestuffs in Nigeria. God bless Nigeria.
they called Nigeria home but site their headquarters in Ghana...Nigeria under this administration is long gone;the better you realized this...the better for your sanity. You'll fully understand this when this deal will also go south....

1 Like

Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by Aboguede(m): 3:31am On May 11, 2021
Them go soon gather una like ants grin
Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by BruncleZuma: 3:32am On May 11, 2021
grin grin grin grin,

Elon Musk and preorder dey like Nollywood and Juju

1 Like

Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by Oyiboman69: 3:56am On May 11, 2021
Vaughanlanrewaj:

Can you please just read up before expressing your wrong opinion on things you are not familiar with sir?

I personally know when Microsoft came to Nigeria and sited their office on Ahmadu Bello way here in Lagos. Don't allow your hatred for PMB sink you lower sir.

This is not a thread for fake news, it is to look deeply at how successful people think so you can learn since success always leaves a trail. They chose Nigeria, Nigeria didn't choose them and I just told you that even Elon can buy most African countries except Nigeria and SA. The fact that all you see is negative should tell you that you are focused on the negative sir.
I have many dishonorable qualities my friend... petty sentiment is not one of them....
There's is a fine line between dreaming and pretending, and if all you can deduced from my opinion is a perceived hatred for the President on your own perception,then, I do not want to continue this conversation....
Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by ogwumgbe: 3:56am On May 11, 2021
Evolution1x:
This is great news

But I have a feeling that ncc under Osama bin pantami and this useless administration will fraustrate SpaceX after collecting money from the useless big 4 communication companies.

Then you hit the street, must you always suffer and smile?

1 Like

Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by MemoriesAndMe: 4:02am On May 11, 2021
If anyone has taken their time to research on NIGCOMSAT, he or she should be able to confirm that Nigeria has a big problem centered around wastages or unnecessary spendings. The poor maintenance culture adds to the problems.

Nigeria has a satellite in the orbits called NIGCOMSAT-1. Im sure not many know Nigeria is one of the few countries in the world privileged to achieve that feat. It was sent into space in 2006 and its not being used for anything as of yet. It was just sent there and forgotten about.

Its capabilities include what SpaceX is trying to sell to us now because they maintain and utilize their satellites while we sent ours there for prowess and its still there in space gathering dust.

Thats a potential means of employment for many and source of revenue for the government. This falls under the ministry of communications.

I guess this ministry doesn't know Nigeria already invested billions in this project already and doesn't know how to translate the investment into revenue.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NIGCOMSAT

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by Vaughanlanrewaj: 4:20am On May 11, 2021
Oyiboman69:
I have many dishonorable qualities my friend... petty sentiment is not one of them....
There's is a fine line between dreaming and pretending, and if all you can deduced from my opinion is a perceived hatred for the President on your own perception,then, I do not want to continue this conversation....
I am sorry that my allusion misjudged your initial interest. Please pardon me. I respect your decision though. Thanks.
Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by dontbothermuch: 4:39am On May 11, 2021
sad
Review for healthy competition?
Since it's cheaper than others, what is there to review again. If others can't reduce their prices, they should go.
Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by iampeterben(m): 4:47am On May 11, 2021
That would be great and welcome development to our darling nation.
Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by Biodun556(m): 5:03am On May 11, 2021
dbtt:

If you know what MTN saw you should know what space x saw. Even those that set up company in Ghana will still target Nigerian market
Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by etrange: 5:09am On May 11, 2021
falcon01:
Elon seems like a guy who would give free Internet.

He doesn't even have free internet himself.
Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by femi4: 5:09am On May 11, 2021
PercyDesk:
Work on a six months contract writing articles from home.

Remuneration : 500,000 Naira.

If this opportunity interests you, signify your interest by sending a message on WhatsApp on

0 8 0 8 6 3 7 3 0 1 2

Thank you
Too small, increase it to N1.2M
Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by olaboy33(m): 5:15am On May 11, 2021
meobizy:
Fiyin007:

Just one question which of your telecoms company is offering unlimited data at a minimum speed of 150mbps and latency of 30ms run a speed test and display the results. smiley

My major concern is what will be the business fate of the various licensed ISP's in Nigeria who have invested so much in fiber optic and cable transmissions..

I also seem to have so many reservations about satellite internet, latency and maybe weather conditions would pose serious problem.

Also VPN's might not be easily compatible with the technology.

1 Like

Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by Stormyharper(m): 5:23am On May 11, 2021
With all my heart i pray this workout in Nigeria. I remember when Richard Branson came to naija to invest, but yardua government chase him out cuz they wanted their share ( bribe).

I know how frustrating having poor Internet is because my broadband is 102mbps download speed while upload speed is more than 60mbps.

I will believe it when i see it. God bless my beloved country

1 Like

Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by Keemsleek005(m): 5:24am On May 11, 2021
Vaughanlanrewaj:

Beautiful analysis, 5 stars for you. Brilliant future mind.

1 Like

Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by Stormyharper(m): 5:24am On May 11, 2021
olaboy33:

My major concern is what will be the business fate of the various licensed ISP's in Nigeria who have invested so much in fiber optic transmissions..

Fibre optic in naija
Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by Nobody: 5:28am On May 11, 2021
Emmaomotob:
I believe that this is a revolution taking place in our generation. Just as Henry Ford revolutionized the car making industry and Whatsapp brought cheap and unlimited calls (Video and Voice), SpaceX and Facebook are about to do the same for the internet. This would be a make quality education easily available in the poorest countries of the world and therefore speed Africa's entry into civilization.
civilazation? can you explain please?
Re: SpaceX In Talks With NCC To Bring Satellite-Based Broadband Internet To Nigeria by Nobody: 5:29am On May 11, 2021
dbtt:

him dey like say him no dey. he doesnt need to setup anything major here. na Glo and mtn them go kill themselves over the guy besides its satellite, he can reach endusers directly.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Things To Avoid While Buying A Smartphone / Gloeverydaybonanza: Pictures Showing Olamide With The First Car Winner / 9mobile Free Youtube Streaming Looks Scammy, Is It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.