Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,271 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:34 PM

We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters - Crime (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters (26711 Views)

Baba Ijesha: Iyabo Ojo, Princess, Others In Court As Sitting Resumes / Video Of Baba Ijesha Begging After Being Caught Molesting Minor / You Don't Have Right To Protest High Electricity Tarriff - Police Tell Youths (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters by Wallade(m): 10:29am On May 13, 2021
9jaRealist:

That determination is made RETROSPECTIVELY...
If there’s a court available to “pronounce” it, it would not be required in cases like these.

We have to confine this discourse to the PARTICULAR case at hand...
There are DIFFERENT cases where courts are available, but the police would ask for more time to charge.

Let’s stick to the peculiar facts of THIS case!
>

So is the highlighted proper in view of the Constitution and right of the accused in any case. Where police ask for more time, beyond 48hrs, without the court approval, is it legal?

3 Likes

Re: We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters by 9jaRealist: 10:38am On May 13, 2021
Wallade:
So, who should determine the circumstances to be reasonable to deny bail. The police, you, lawyer, government or the court?

That is the question you need to address.
Wallade:
So is the highlighted proper in view of the Constitution and right of the accused in any case. Where police as for more time, beyond 48hrs, without the court approval, is it legal?
Wallade:
So if the case is not before the court. Do the police have the right to deny an accused bail beyond 48hrs with approval from the court?

The courts are NOT sitting, so that’s a moot issue...

There’s NOTHING in the Constitution that mandates that the determination of “reasonableness” should be made prospectively. Courts make RETROSPECTIVE determinations all of the time. This is actually not a novel concept.
>
Re: We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters by Wallade(m): 10:38am On May 13, 2021
9jaRealist:

Section 34(5)(b) of the Constitution allows the Police to DETAIN a suspect who has not been charged or arraigned before a court of law BEYOND the otherwise mandated 24 or 48 hours WITHOUT CHARGE in circumstances that would be deemed “reasonable” given the circumstances of the case. The NON-FUNCTIONING of courts due to the JUSUN strike would IMHO be one such circumstance.
>

So, who should determine the circumstances to be reasonable to deny bail. The police, you, lawyer, government or the court?

That is the question you need to address.

3 Likes

Re: We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters by 9jaRealist: 10:43am On May 13, 2021
LightUpWithKemi:
You better be calming down. I have my reasons for writing lessons to all men.
Kindly, do more research.

My bad, forgot I have to ask for your permission before I could comment on something on a PUBLIC DISCUSSION forum...smh

Eid Mubarak (or not)!
>
Re: We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters by Wallade(m): 10:46am On May 13, 2021
9jaRealist:

The courts are NOT sitting, so that’s a moot issue...

There’s NOTHING in the Constitution that mandates that the determination of “reasonableness” should be made prospectively. Courts make RETROSPECTIVE determinations all of the time. This is actually not a novel concept.
>

Oga lawyer or Judge, answer the question:

So if the case is not before the court. Do the police have the right to deny an accused bail beyond 48hrs with approval from the court?

Answer these question directly. Stop making retrospective or prospective excuses. There is a simple and straight forward answer to these questions.

1 Like

Re: We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters by omoiyalayi(m): 11:02am On May 13, 2021
Which kind wahala be dis ?

Re: We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters by UDUJ(m): 11:58am On May 13, 2021
9jaRealist:
>
Spot on to the police....
It’s the point I made on Nairaland a few days ago: https://www.nairaland.com/6545279/yomi-fabiyi-protest-baba-ijesha/6#101538624

Section 34(5)(b) of the Constitution allows the Police to detain a suspect who has not been charged or arraigned before a court of law BEYOND the otherwise mandated 24 or 48 hours in (exceptional) circumstances that would be deemed “reasonable” given the particular factual circumstances. The NON-FUNCTIONING of courts due to the JUSUN strike is exactly one such circumstances.

>

You make your arguments with facts to back it up. I admire that. This is something lacking in this forum these days. I presume you are a lawyer as well?
Re: We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters by kennyamusan(m): 12:33pm On May 13, 2021
ExpertEDITOR:

You have to be tried before you hang. Who is trying Baba ijesha? Or has he be tried?

There is no way you guys can explain this absurdities.
that's why he is still in detention
Re: We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters by pacespot(m): 12:42pm On May 13, 2021
The ministry of justice that is full of many crook lawyers. Is it not the same ministry of justice in the department of administration general and public trustee that defrauded me of some money paid by pension board. The only reason why they are keeping that man baba ijebu behind bar is the media trial on social media. Everything regarding that ministry of justice is based on sentiments.
Re: We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters by ExpertEDITOR: 12:48pm On May 13, 2021
kennyamusan:
that's why he is still in detention
It is wrong and you know it. Just that your emotions won't allow you to say what is right.
Re: We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters by ExpertEDITOR: 12:50pm On May 13, 2021
UDUJ:

You make your arguments with facts to back it up. I admire that. This is something lacking in this forum these days. I presume you are a lawyer as well?
Except you guys share same sentiments, there is nothing factual about what he posted. He can't even explain how the quoted applies to this topic. Anyone can comfortably quote the constitution, that doesn't mean he/she is right or making sense.
Re: We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters by kennyamusan(m): 1:06pm On May 13, 2021
ExpertEDITOR:

It is wrong and you know it. Just that your emotions won't allow you to say what is right.
what is wrong ?hahahaha ... Princess and iyabo have no hand anymore .its him vs DPP -if you ever know the meaning
Re: We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters by candygist: 1:17pm On May 13, 2021
princemillla:

Who cares about wat judgement comes to him. If them like feed him to the dogs.
Wat we r saying is police already defined his case bailable one why then make u turn. Somethings not right at some point

What is not right here is for a grown up adult to be fucking a 14 year old girl. A well known celebrity for that matter, a role model to many youths. That's not right
Re: We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters by ExpertEDITOR: 2:35pm On May 13, 2021
kennyamusan:
what is wrong ?hahahaha ... Princess and iyabo have no hand anymore .its him vs DPP -if you ever know the meaning
K
Re: We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters by DONFASZY(m): 3:11pm On May 13, 2021
As far as na nig
Court go adjourn dis simple case stil 2023 election
Watch it
No b nig
Re: We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters by sevenhundred(m): 3:11pm On May 13, 2021
Calitoscassius:
If they believe that he will run they can detain him, people have been detained for no reason for years in nigerian prisons, what is the difference between them an this guy? Because he is so called actor? undecided
we are only interested in good society where the law and human rights are guaranteed, ask yourself if detaining people without trial is good.
Re: We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters by Calitoscassius(m): 5:31pm On May 13, 2021
sevenhundred:
we are only interested in good society where the law and human rights are guaranteed, ask yourself if detaining people without trial is good.
well...I agree it isn't lawful detaining people without trials. But nigeria is also a country where influential people get away with their crimes because they can.
Re: We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters by sevenhundred(m): 5:37pm On May 13, 2021
Calitoscassius:
well...I agree it isn't lawful detaining people without trials. But nigeria is also a country where influential people get away with their crimes because they can.
that's what we're fighting against, if people don't follow a laid down rules and regulations there will be anarchy and crisis like what we're experiencing now.
Re: We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters by Kkc3030(m): 6:01pm On May 13, 2021
Buffalo2:
See as this guy mess himself upper
I dey tell you
Well sha, dis na lesson to others

1 Like

Re: We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters by Reptyle(m): 6:58pm On May 13, 2021
Omihanifa:

https://punchng.com/well-keep-baba-ijesha-until-jusun-resumes-police-tell-protesters/

With this elongated detention without trial, the police may be deliberately sabotaging its own case and frankly, it is a shame we are all reacting in a sentimental manner.

The Law is blind and blunt. If it is a bailable offence, let him go since rhe courts aren't sitting. The DPP cannot order anyone's remand in custody - only a judge can do that.

We almost burnt this country down protesting police brutality last year. But here we are supporting illegal detention because we don't like the person involved.

The law should be seen to be fair to all. It is Baba Ijesha today; it could be someone you love tomorrow. On this count, Yomi Fabiyi is right - release Baba Ijesha on bail until the courts resume and he can be arraigned.
Re: We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters by Martinola(m): 8:08am On May 14, 2021
RPG2020:

Na lack of job make you taya abi na the topic be specific
Bros, I no dey carry my personal palava com online
Re: We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters by Nobody: 12:26pm On May 14, 2021
berbs:
Awon yeyenatu. This case thing is politically motivated.
You are the only one reasoning along the same line with me. Some years back baba ijesa featured in ologundudu album where they name almost all the big politician 'ole', maybe this is a way to get back at him. Comedian no suppose join activist.

1 Like

Re: We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters by berbs: 7:57pm On May 14, 2021
preciousademc3:

You are the only one reasoning along the same line with me. Some years back baba ijesa featured in ologundudu album where they name almost all the big politician 'ole', maybe this is a way to get back at him. Comedian no suppose join activist.

The whole set up thing is a cover up for a bigger set up of which the players all know what they're doing. Let's see how it goes.

1 Like

Re: We Will Keep Baba Ijesha Until JUSUN Resumes, Police Tell Protesters by Buffalo2(m): 8:41pm On May 16, 2021
Kkc3030:

I dey tell you
Well sha, dis na lesson to others
Yes, big lesson

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

57 Suspected Homosexuals Arrested In Lagos By Police / Man Caught On CCTV Burgling A Pharmacy Store In Oyo, Declared Wanted. Photos / Thieves Caught Stealing Trailer Tyres In Aba Stripped Unclad(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.