Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,254 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:47 AM

Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta - Crime (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta (24384 Views)

Two Die In Edo Over Money Ritual Practice / Two Die In Lagos Pipeline Explosion (Graphic Photos From The Scene) / Rival Lovers Fight Over 16-year-old Salesgirl In Delta, Three Injured (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by jboycrb(m): 8:40pm On May 18, 2021
solochris:
And somebody will intentionally manufacture a fake cylinder and push into the market just because of money, not minding the resultant effect afterwards. Some humans are really wicked and without conscience

Might not be fake but expired cylinder

1 Like

Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by Tinax(f): 8:40pm On May 18, 2021
Too bad.... cylinder should be kept far from kitchen
Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by Gbagura: 8:52pm On May 18, 2021
jboycrb:

Might not be fake but expired cylinder
How long does a cylinder last?
Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by Nanoport(m): 8:52pm On May 18, 2021
Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by BonPatrick(m): 8:58pm On May 18, 2021
Lol what a shameful death
Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by Ezedon(m): 8:58pm On May 18, 2021
Unemployment
Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by chiedozie198100: 8:59pm On May 18, 2021
Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by tunwumi: 9:03pm On May 18, 2021
I completely disagree with this assertion. It is quite surprising that the man with the great title of an engineer can be of little knowledge that not only fake cylinder can explode. Most time fake cylinder will explode in the process of filling not in use (discharge).

For the avoidance of doubt both SON and NNPC have been educating people about expiry date of cylinders with estimate of more than 50% of cooking cylinder that are expired in circulation. But when it comes to industrial cylinder bottles, caution is always thrown to the wind until disaster struck like this.

The cylinder is definitely an expired one with defected welded joint. The bad news here is that the technician is well aware and they always form it doesn't matter.

Please always stay at safe distance when someone is welding. Too many careless people around.

OmoOgunOriginal:

https://thenationonlineng.net/two-die-three-injured-as-gas-explosion-rocks-ogun-ex-govs-hotel/

1 Like

Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by damiloladuke: 9:05pm On May 18, 2021
Omo
Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by Segzy19: 9:09pm On May 18, 2021
This is pure rubbish talk from the hotel facility manager. On what basis did he conclude that it was due to fake gas cylinder?

Has accident investigation been conducted by the appropriate authorities yet? In the absence of concrete accident investigation to determine the immediate and remote cause then the hotel facility manager has no authority to issue such statement.

When people take health and safety for granted, that's what happens. Was any risk assessment done before carrying out the welding operation?

In a proper clime, the hotel will pay heavy fines to the authorities, and also pay huge compensations to the injured and families of the deceased (running into millions). This could have been prevented if they made provisions for health and safety....

1 Like

Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by jboycrb(m): 9:19pm On May 18, 2021
Gbagura:
How long does a cylinder last?

The life span of a cylinder is 15 years but our countrymen imported used ones and repaints to sell as new.

1 Like

Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by poiZon: 9:31pm On May 18, 2021
SageX1444:
The worst method to leave earth is to be burnt to death. But I hope the victims have insurance in place though.
Bros u no lie, cos u dey shout enter hell...
Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by tamzy123(m): 9:48pm On May 18, 2021
This is not a case of fake gas cylinder. There was no flashback arrestor installed on the cylinder. The flames reversed through the hose back to the cylinder and it exploded. A flashback arrestor should have prevented the explosion.
Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by Donpenny(m): 9:48pm On May 18, 2021
When you tell them to bring their cylinder for hydrostatic test , you see them giving endless excuse . Nigerian don't value safety at all levels. How could a nation be so reskless abt leaving. Too many refurbished cylinder out there being use for domestic cooking unfortunately these are potential explosive. May God help out dear country. RIP to the dead
Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by kabanayol9(m): 9:58pm On May 18, 2021
Burdened:
May God Almighty always protect us and our loved ones...
Amen in JESUS name.
Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by Missambitious(f): 11:30pm On May 18, 2021
We are all reacting based on what we Were told. The truth of the matter is that, the acclaimed technician is also a staff of the hotel. The cylinder belongs to the hotel maintenance unit too.

Two staffs died while four are in the hospital receiving treatment. It's shameful that the hotel would denied its staff and referred to them as technicians, just to save face. I once worked with them and after reading this news, i called a lot of my friends there who confirmed the incident and told me how it happened.

I repeat, the cylinder belongs to the hotel maintenance unit. They are more to this story than what they told you. One of my friends is seriously wounded and he's receiving treatment in the hospital. I pray for his healing...

1 Like

Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by rapwizzy(m): 11:31pm On May 18, 2021
Moferere:
They have sacrificed them. May we never be unfortunate
wiseman
Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by berrystunn(m): 11:47pm On May 18, 2021
Moferere:

Africa man
Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by Xclusivedaniel6(m): 11:59pm On May 18, 2021
Moferere:

sacrifice bitibawo

Wetin dey occur with Nigerians like this
For you to come online it means you're educated but sorry to say, your comment doesnt reflect you're educated

1 Like

Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by Omoluabi16(m): 12:38am On May 19, 2021
Ceenachi:
Nigerians are very careless with everything. I have seen people using gas cylinders the wrong ways. The most annoying part is that they see nothing wrong with the dangerous way they handle these cylinders.

I have seen people cooking inside their small bedroom with curtains and clothes scattered everywhere. I have also seen a student who left his pot of soup on a burning gas cylinder to gist with a girl in another street.
Some go to bed as soon as they place their pot on a burning stove. Nna eehh, the list plenty.

I have never heard of any gas explosion in Dubai, yet they use cooking gas over there like you use electricity here.
I don't think they were careless in this situation. The explosion occurred because of the use of a fake gas cylinder. But it's true we're careless with handling gas.
Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by Engrjamjam: 2:00am On May 19, 2021
@Tranquility2345 may thunder from hell visit your Ashawo mama. You're a very Useless animal.
Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by iykmon: 2:42am On May 19, 2021
One thing that is very possible is the flame flash back from the nozzle to the Acetylene cylinder. That is very common when a flame Arrestor is not installed on the hose or it is defective. Acetylene gas is very unstable gas and can explored once it receive heat from any heat source due to its high flammability properties. The possibility of cylinder explosion is possible if it is not properly stored.
Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by clothingonline(m): 7:28am On May 19, 2021
It will bring bad image for the hotel

Check signature men clothing clearance price payment on delivery within Lagos and nationwide dispatch
Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by idealsico(m): 9:20am On May 19, 2021
See how the hotel management quickly rushed to a conclusion that the gas cylinder was fake.
They don't want to take responsibility for their negligence. They failed to tell us the complete story. What actually happened? What are the immediate and root causes? Only a proper investigation would reveal these.

Proper planning including risk assessment, were likely not done. For such hazardous activity to be carried out safely, hazards needed to be identified and control measures put in place. Most people who use this equipment fail to adhere to strict safe work procedures advised.

Blaming it on fake gas cylinder is to discard an opportunity to learn from the incident as ensure it does not reoccur.

solochris:
And somebody will intentionally manufacture a fake cylinder and push into the market just because of money, not minding the resultant effect afterwards. Some humans are really wicked and without conscience
Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by 9jaRealist: 4:27pm On May 19, 2021
Moferere:

SUPERSTITIOUS Nigerians...smh

That’s why things rarely (if ever) improves in Nigeria...
Instead of ascertaining what really occurred (and find ways to resolve it), it’s ascribed to “god” or “sacrifice”.

>
Re: Two Die, Three Injured As Gas Explosion Rocks Conference Hotel, Abeokuta by 9jaRealist: 4:34pm On May 19, 2021
Missambitious:
We are all reacting based on what we Were told. The truth of the matter is that, the acclaimed technician is also a staff of the hotel. The cylinder belongs to the hotel maintenance unit too.

Two staffs died while four are in the hospital receiving treatment. It's shameful that the hotel would denied its staff and referred to them as technicians, just to save face. I once worked with them and after reading this news, i called a lot of my friends there who confirmed the incident and told me how it happened.

I repeat, the cylinder belongs to the hotel maintenance unit. They are more to this story than what they told you. One of my friends is seriously wounded and he's receiving treatment in the hospital. I pray for his healing...

The concept of Res Ipsa Loquitur applies here...
The fact of the explosion proves the existence of negligence.

Because explosions do not occur without negligent fault...
Only issue is where the negligence occurred - by staff or hotel.
>

(1) (2) (Reply)

Stanley Tookie Williams (Repentant Co-founder of Gang Crisp) / EFCC Arraigns Two Access Bank Staff For £100,000 Fraud / Lagos Government Declares A Woman Who Beat A Baby With Rod Wanted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.