Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,755 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Gay American Man Remembers How Gay Fulani Man Tried To Convert Him To Islam - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Gay American Man Remembers How Gay Fulani Man Tried To Convert Him To Islam (918 Views)

Woman Fights Pastor Who Tried To Lay His Hands On Her At A Church Event (Video) / Apostle Suleman Remembers Benson Idahosa 23 Years After Death (photo) / Testimony Of How A Herbalist Who Tried To Kill Me Died Instead Of Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gay American Man Remembers How Gay Fulani Man Tried To Convert Him To Islam by TruthHurts1(m): 12:36pm On May 19, 2021
This story is from a book titled "Yan Daudu" in which a gay American man who lived in Kano in the 1990s, talks about his sexual encounters with a devout Muslim gay Fulani cross dresser called Hajiya Asabe:

Hajiya Asabe had a feminine name and a handsome, mustached face.
In the room he rented in Kano’s infamous Sabon Gari neighbor-
hood, he received a daily stream of visitors: girlfriends stopping by
to gossip, out-of-town relatives seeking financial assistance, flirtatious boyfriends, hopeful suitors.

People knew they could count on
finding Hajiya Asabe in his room because, as a self-described karuwa,
or ‘prostitute,’ he woke up late most mornings and stayed close to
home during the day.
Most evenings he spent at a nearby nightclub where a modestly upscale, male clientele came to listen to live
performances of Hausa and Arab music, to drink beer or a nonalcoholic alternative, and to socialize with the women and ‘yan daudu', feminine men like Hajiya Asabe, who served as the club’s unofficial hosts.

(Regular customers had to pay a door fee; women and 'yan daudu' did not.)

Among the ‘yan daudu who frequented the club, Hajiya Asabe stood out with his stylish dress and a graceful, self-confident demeanor that was both charming and haughty. It was
this demeanor that had made me notice him during my earliest visits to the club, and that made him so alluring to the men who sought his company.

One day late in the dry season in 1994, I went to pay Hajiya Asabe
a visit.
As I entered the cement courtyard, I found him kneeling on a small mat outside his room. Not wanting to disturb him as he performed the late-afternoon la’asar prayer, I took a seat on a nearby bench while the compound’s other residents – most of them non-Muslims from southern Nigeria – went about their regular activities.

Once he finished praying, Hajiya Asabe joined me on the bench and called for Mama Ayo, the middle-aged Yoruba woman who managed the compound, to bring me a cold beer.

Hajiya Asabe did not drink alcohol, but he was unfailingly hospitable towards his guests, and in the early days of our friendship he always offered me
a bottle of Gulder, the most expensive beer on the market, whenever
I came by to visit. Although Hajiya Asabe and I had been casually acquainted for almost a year, we had only recently begun spendingtime together, so we were still getting to know one another.

After the usual exchange of greetings and small talk, he complimented me
on my command of Hausa, the major language of northern Nigeria, and suggested that all that remained for me to become a ‘complete Hausa’ [cikakken Bahaushe] was to embrace Islam. He even offered to slaughter a ram in my honor if I were to convert.

Hajiya Asabe’s religious zeal astonished me. After all, the society in which I
knew him was hardly one that most people would characterize as
Islamically devout.

“But how could I become a Muslim?” I asked him, clutching my bottle of Gulder. “I like this,” I reminded him, pointing to the beer. “And I like harka” – that is, sexual intercourse between men.

“Come now, Sani,” Hajiya Asabe replied, addressing me by my Hausa name. “Muslims do these things too. They do them more than anyone!”

My first interpretation of this surprising exchange was that, for Hajiya Asabe, being a Muslim was less important than being Hausa, and had more to do with the performance of cultural rituals than it did with accepting the moral precepts of Islam.

His irreverent claim that Muslims engaged in forbidden acts like drinking and homosexuality “more than anyone” was clearly puzzling, yet I knew it was
based on his experiences in Nigeria and Saudi Arabia, where he had performed the hajj, the pilgrimage to Mecca, more than once.

Like many other poor pilgrims, Hajiya Asabe had overstayed his visa to Saudi Arabia on several occasions in order to live and work illegally in the port city
of Jeddah. While most undocumented Nigerians in Saudi Arabia take on menial jobs that are Islamically legal, Hajiya Asabe supported himself through
what he called karuwanci [‘prostitution’], providing social and sexual companionship to Saudi men, some of whom might also enjoy the com-
pany of female prostitutes as well as marijuana, cocaine, or even
alcohol. His most recent sojourn had ended over a year earlier, when
he was arrested, deported and forced to leave behind most of the wealth he had accumulated. The circumstances of Hajiya Asabe’s expulsion from Saudi Arabia weighed heavily on him, yet his day-to-day practices signaled a decidedly positive attitude towards the country.

He dressed in Saudi men’s fashions, listened to cassette tapes of Arab
music, and peppered his speech with expressions from Arabic.
Though he was unable to read in any language, he kept Arabic-language magazines prominently displayed in his room, along with perfume bottles and other mementos. He also performed the five daily prayers more consistently, and more visibly, than most other
‘yan daudu I knew.

(TO BE CONTINUED)
Re: Gay American Man Remembers How Gay Fulani Man Tried To Convert Him To Islam by Lcf69(m): 12:40pm On May 19, 2021
Smiles at the paroles of nature's dissents...... PINNED.
Re: Gay American Man Remembers How Gay Fulani Man Tried To Convert Him To Islam by TruthHurts1(m): 12:42pm On May 19, 2021
Dedicated to NL's favourite Yan Daudas

JEWELofHELL, Saifullah01, NoSentiment, Empiree, AntiChristian and Northurmate
Re: Gay American Man Remembers How Gay Fulani Man Tried To Convert Him To Islam by SportsHD: 1:12pm On May 19, 2021
Hang dem buttfuckers
Re: Gay American Man Remembers How Gay Fulani Man Tried To Convert Him To Islam by AntiChristian: 1:26pm On May 19, 2021
TruthHurts1:
Dedicated to NL's favourite Yan Daudas

JEWELofHELL, Saifullah01, NoSentiment, Empiree, AntiChristian and Northurmate

Should we Crucify all Christians too because some Catholics too do same?

It's foolish for anyone to generalize this way.

Hisbah has been destroying alcohols.....you Christians rant!

The position of Islam on Alcohol, Homosexualism and fornication/Adultery is clear. They are great sins! These are established from the Qur'an and Sunnah.

Bring Bible verses where Jesus says Homosexualism is sin or Alcohol is.
Leave the Alcohol part as Jesus himself drank wine and did wine miracle as his first miracle.
Re: Gay American Man Remembers How Gay Fulani Man Tried To Convert Him To Islam by Theboy21: 1:31pm On May 19, 2021
cheesy
Re: Gay American Man Remembers How Gay Fulani Man Tried To Convert Him To Islam by orisa37: 1:45pm On May 19, 2021
HASN'T THE FULANI GAY MAN TAUGHT YOU HOW TO BLEEP COWS
Re: Gay American Man Remembers How Gay Fulani Man Tried To Convert Him To Islam by TruthHurts1(m): 2:46pm On May 19, 2021
[img]https://images./5OxiqSoppAU00teKgfApjm.jpg[/img] [img]https://images./3fkjBgU3iSUE1YVLnVNQUB.jpg[/img] [img]https://images./55VEdNghnjL3Kp4QROyM6b.jpg[/img]

AntiChristian:

Should we Crucify all Christians too because some Catholics too do same?

It's foolish for anyone to generalize this way.

Hisbah has been destroying alcohols.....you Christians rant!

The position of Islam on Alcohol, Homosexualism and fornication/Adultery is clear. They are great sins! These are established from the Qur'an and Sunnah.

Bring Bible verses where Jesus says Homosexualism is sin or Alcohol is.
Leave the Alcohol part as Jesus himself drank wine and did wine miracle as his first miracle.

(1) (Reply)

CAC Worldwide Unified Bible Study Manual Now Available For Purchase / What Fell The Men Who Came To Arrest Jesus? / WINNER:Temitope Remmy If God Paid You An Unexpected Visit, Would He Reward You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.