Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,742,525 members, 6,505,580 topics. Date: Friday, 24 September 2021 at 02:23 PM

Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims (29338 Views)

Persecuted At Home, Igbo Muslims Troop To North For Succour / Sheikh Dauda Onyeaocha Is Dead! Chief Imam Of Imo State Dies / Igbo Muslims Grumble Over Appointment Of New Imam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by JEWELofHELL: 12:51pm On May 20
Sheikh Haroun Ajah, Vice President General, Nigeria Supreme Council for Islamic Affairs (NSCIA), has said Islam is a religion and Igbo/Hausa are ethnic groups.

In an interview in Abakaliki, Ebonyi State capital, Ajah condemned the persecution of Igbo Muslims in the South-East.

He said Igbo Christians in the SouthEast have refused to understand that Igbo Muslims in the North are not Hausas.

“When they see an Igbo Muslim, they label him Hausa. They refuse to understand that Hausa is a tribe, Igbo is a tribe and Islam is a means of spiritual relationship with the Almighty.

“They refuse to understand that we are Igbos, before becoming Muslims”


He added that Igbo Muslims in the East have been marginalised and denied access to civil and political appointments.

“Muslims don’t have access to the civil service. We don’t have access to political appointments, no access to anything that is being done by the government. If it were possible for us to be denied our daily bread, they would do that.”

Women in hijab mocked in the East.

Muslim women interviewed in Afikpo, Ebonyi, as well as Enugu, Abakaliki, Umuahia, Okigwe and Owerri, are called derogatory names such as ‘masquerades’ and ‘traitors’ when they are seen in hijabs publicly.

Halima Musa Ani in Enugu recalled a public attack she suffered last year when she joined a queue.

She said an attempt was made to remove her hijab.

On many occasions, Muslim women have been referred to as ‘Boko Haram’ and ‘slaves’, as revealed in Afikpo.

“Igbo Muslims are facing many challenges in the south east, even in the streets, especially the women, because we cannot go out without our hijab.

“When you go out, you will be addressed as ‘Hausa.’ Even a small child will call you ‘Hausa, ’and begin to chant ‘Hausas are passing. Hausas are passing.’ It’s just like a song,” she said.

Pressure leading to change of name

Umar Musa Ani said a young Muslim woman in Enugu will prefer to change her name from Aisha to Asisko, or from Maryam to Mary Anne, because of pressure from the society.

In a new twist to Hausa phobia, Igbo Muslims are accused by Igbo Christians of becoming Muslims, because they wish to gain material wealth from Hausa Muslims.

https://dailytrust.com/islam-is-a-religion-igbo-an-ethnic-group-says-sheik-on-persecution-of-muslims

24 Likes

Re: Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by Simplyleo: 1:01pm On May 20
PissfulProtester:
Igbos and intolerance....

If 60% of the Igbos are of same ideology other than the ideology of the remaining 40%,, The remaining 40% will never live in peace


Absolutely correct.

I still can't understand why you are not free to practise your religion in a society claiming to be fighting for freedom.

431 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by Armaggedon: 1:05pm On May 20
Nothing in the article remotely suggest persecution or denial of religious freedom. This looks like a govt sponsored article that is being repeated on front-page.

Igbos freely call themselves names on daily basis. Pentecostals are usually called ndi "uka akuluma aka" meaning a church of 'over clapping' people, sabatharians or Jews are mocked for always offering sacrifices along the road and even lot of nollywood movies show Catholic church in bad light.

The worst hit are traditional Igbos which some people including Northern Muslims call idol worshippers. Infact some people just get up and burn idol regarded as people's place of worship but nobody complains about it.

I have never seen the so called Igbo muslims but If you wear hijab and you're called a masquerade in Igboland, it's normal. Swallow it! You can't bully a society into treating you specially.

Finally, this is a propaganda article. Those interviewed may not have taken it harshly and may be unaware that their reactions are being use for political goals.

145 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by ablejesus26(m): 1:09pm On May 20
All this Igbo muslim ya all are talking about I am yet to see one,just one in reality.
Islam is strange to Igbo Nature,but notwithstanding an Igboman is free to be whatever he chooses as long as he doesn't troubles anyone.

126 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by Asgard73: 1:11pm On May 20
Are we still going to push it to front page for a second time .. because the government want and wish Islam in the East.

They said they were igbos before Muslims.. how come they still call them Hausa ?

Or they don’t have communities Kinsmen relations that know them before they became Muslims

I can’t say am a Yoruba man without having Yoruba relations or people that know me..

Even if I don’t have people.. there must be stories of reason why you don’t have people.. known to people living in the communities

All this stories of Muslim in east is pure sentimental nonsense

No masarachi in igboland...

And you’ve been igbos for decades ... where una been dey worship all this while

Careless journalism

54 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by Armaggedon: 1:28pm On May 20
PissfulProtester:
Igbos and intolerance....

If 60% of the Igbos are of same ideology other than the ideology of the remaining 40%,, The remaining 40% will never live in peace


but Igbos lived with strangers and Fulani until the strangers became the aggressors. There has never been any religious killings in the east the way you have hijab war in the west or shia/ Sunni and general christians and muslim crisis in the north.

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by funkekemi(f): 1:32pm On May 20
No room for Islam , when biafra comes ,I urge biafrans to pass a law prohibiting Islam

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by Masterkernel1: 1:32pm On May 20
PissfulProtester:
Igbos and intolerance....

If 60% of the Igbos are of same ideology other than the ideology of the remaining 40%,, The remaining 40% will never live in peace




You're too blind with these impaired eyes of yours. Kindly upload... Three URL links of news of Igbos killing Igbo Muslims, it's a common knowledge on almost all dailies in Nigeria, that religious intolerance in the North with daily killings of Christians.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by Acidiously: 1:34pm On May 20
This IGBO MUSLIM brouhaha is becoming stale. We never pursue real Muslims na him we go pursue our brothers because say them be Muslims? Na my head go slam for ground ABI na my forehead go turn black? If you like worship Satan I choptas not. Nobody is chasing anybody. If you are hiding your identity as an Igbo Muslim that means your mind is pricking you, telling you that that which you are doing is alien to your people. Hold your conscience responsible and not your brothers

49 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by Ojiofor: 1:37pm On May 20
Must they dress in a particular manner because they are muslims?

4 Likes

Re: Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by Armaggedon: 1:45pm On May 20
Ojiofor:
Must they dress in a particular manner because they are muslims?
that is the argument. Any 'religion' that tells you how to dress, what to eat, what language to speak and who to associate with is not a just a religion but a culture. And should be treated as one.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by Ojiofor: 2:07pm On May 20
Armaggedon:
that is the argument. Any 'religion' that tells you how to dress, what to eat, what language to speak and who to associate with is not a just a religion but a culture. And should be treated as one.

Becoming a muslim shouldn't stop them from being Igbo but if they choose to stop being Igbo and become a SomalianArab in Igboland that is a big problem.

15 Likes

Re: Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by JooEeL(m): 2:21pm On May 20
,
Re: Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by LegendHero(m): 2:22pm On May 20
Igbo Muslims don suffer from their intolerant Ibo Christians.

Any Igbo Muslim that is facing marginalization in SE should come to Oduduwa land to seek asylum and we will grant it once because Odualand will be a sanctuary state where people co-exist in peace irrespective of religious divide.

We will make sure to build a big wall like those of Trump to seal out any troublesome Ibo Christian that want to migrate to Odua land. The tolerant among the Ibo Christians will be admitted.

grin grin

88 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by ogbuefi677(m): 2:22pm On May 20
Daily trust is now a 4×4 northern muslim propaganda outfit.
Haruna Aja is from my state,where muslims are 0.000001%.
So,they should just give you appointments because you're muslims even when you don't participate on the political process?
Have you children ever been denied admission b/c they're muslims?

30 Likes

Re: Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by IamFINESSE: 2:24pm On May 20
Islam gbuo unu dia grin



Una want bring Terrorism to our peaceful Alaigbo

Relocate to sokoto or kanu to practice una Islamabad

14 Likes

Re: Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by stunnert(m): 2:24pm On May 20
Ethnicity and Religion are the two main problems of Nigerians.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by Ayomide811(m): 2:25pm On May 20
Ibos lack tolerance

9 Likes

Re: Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by Mccullum: 2:25pm On May 20
Upon all these persecutions, Islam will still prevail...

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by JooEeL(m): 2:26pm On May 20
As much as religious tolerance is adviced, I will say the Biafrans, especially the Igbos, have a kind of foresight that you just can't fault.

No matter how we try to hide it, there is a way terrorism tends to move along with Islam. I don't know why.

I know some may be angry but as much as I respect my Yoruba muslims for being reasonable with their religion, consider what happened in Ilorin a few weeks ago when Muslims where throwing stones at Christians... beating them with sticks etc. In Yoruba land o. Something almost unheard of before!

I can never fault the Ndi Igbos for this. It is not discrimination. They simply dread terrorism.

Note: Igbos should never fall for the trick that they are intolerant. Never ever! The cursed Edomites from the Sahel just burnt a church in Kaduna yesterday. They killed over 300,000 in the North before the Civil war. They killed thousands of southerners in the Jos Riot of 1945. Yet the bastards will call you intolerant. If they call you 'intolerant', they are trying to guilt-trip you. Igbos you are smart. Never for a million years fall for their mind games.

52 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by Khd95(m): 2:28pm On May 20
igbos hate to realize that the religion they hate so much, their folks are embracing it en-mass tongue

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by Belial06: 2:28pm On May 20
PissfulProtester:
Igbos and intolerance....

If 60% of the Igbos are of same ideology other than the ideology of the remaining 40%,, The remaining 40% will never live in peace




Even though I am not ibo it's clear you re talking nonsense

Keep silent Next time if you have noting intelligent to say

18 Likes

Re: Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by oluwaseyi0: 2:29pm On May 20
Islam always divisive irrespective of tribe, academic background, or wealth

No one has time to be thinking of anybody in the east or west

Islam terrorist almost bringing North to its kneel, Islam causing commotion in primary and secondary schools in the west, east seems to be the only region with no religion issue whatsoever, now minority Muslim is already looking for problem for them

Whether they are minority, majority or of equal population, Muslims must always have problem with everybody else

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by Pk01(m): 2:29pm On May 20
Zionmdde:

Ogbeni sharrap there
Have u heard any Igbo was killed because he was a Muslim. Or don't u have a tangible job dan to go around being a nuisance.
If my brother becomes a Muslim today I will disown him and have nothing to ever do with him, yes it'd my right, so if we decide to disown any efulefu without harming him in anyway or denying him any of his rights how is dat ur freaking business.

Worst of it all is dat a headslammer who doesn't allow non headslammers drink beer in his state will open his mouth and be taking rubbish

Igbo Muslims kee all of u there
are you christian

2 Likes

Re: Sheikh Ajah On Persecution Of Igbo Muslims: We Are Igbos Before Becoming Muslims by Hotshisha: 2:30pm On May 20
grin

Why are Ibos Christian extremist so worried by Ibos choosing Islam


.

12 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ramadan To Occur Twice In Year 2030 / How Do You Handle Sexual Dreams ? / Why Do Muslim Men Wear Long Beards?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2021 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 165
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.