Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,632 members, 7,816,607 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:51 PM

Kenya Press Writes - Things Falling Apart In Nigeria & The Centre Cannot Hold - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kenya Press Writes - Things Falling Apart In Nigeria & The Centre Cannot Hold (1202 Views)

At The Centre Of Our Campaign Will Be A Strong Desire To Serve The People - Obi / Lagos Is The Centre Of Good Governance In Nigeria - Peter Obi / Some People's Candidate Cannot Hold Spoon - Sowore (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kenya Press Writes - Things Falling Apart In Nigeria & The Centre Cannot Hold by Nobody: 8:37am On May 22, 2021

A recent BBC report revealed that two-thirds of Nigeria is under some kind of strife.

In the northern states, jihadist attacks have become frequent and blatant. Almost at will, jihadists kidnap school girls to exploit as sex slaves. Beheadings, shootings, car bombings and burning of houses leave displaced and traumatised communities. In the middle states, clashes between Fulani herdsmen and farmers leave tens of dead and injured.

The delta states are agitating for their independence, and their attacks on soldiers and government installations are frequent and deadly. Still in the south, agitation for an independent state of Biafra has been revived. In large cities like Lagos, criminal gangs are rampant, often kidnapping people for ransom. Nigeria is a messy, chaotic, corrupt and, as famed Nigerian writer Okey Ndibe described it, “an ill-formed organism.”

In Things Fall Apart, Chinua Achebe writes about the disintegration of the African traditional society under colonial pressures. The title of the book is borrowed from the poem The Second Coming by WB Yeats. The poem is a frightening vision of a society in the process of disintegration. Yeats writes in part: “Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world, The ceremony of innocence is drowned; The best lack all conviction, while the worst Are full of passionate intensity.”

It is uncanny that Yeats’ vision of a society in apocalyptic throes, which Achebe used as a metaphor for the fragmentation of African traditional society in the late 19th century, would come to describe the current state of Nigeria! With the country engulfed in all of the strife, can the centre hold?

The brightest Nigerians lack conviction that the centre will hold, and take every chance to emigrate. The youth, brought up on the staple of false nationalist rituals like Independence Day ceremonies, singing the anthem, and waving the flag, are drowning in the chaos of corruption and misgovernment that has robbed them of a future. They, too, are looking towards Europe or America for salvation.

And the violent deeds of the worst — the jihadists, the separatists, criminal gangs, the ethnic warriors — get increasingly depraved. Should Nigeria collapse, the tsunami this would cause would ripple across the world. Millions of Nigerian refugees. Instances of genocide.

Skyrocketing oil prices. A humanitarian crisis the world has not seen since the end of World War II. There would also be a heavier insidious cost; the total annihilation of the self-esteem of Africans. If the most intellectually and artistically gifted, and the most industrious African country can fail, what hope do we have for smaller less-endowed African countries that simmer with the same kinds of strife that now threaten to tear Nigeria apart?

This column has warned many times that we Africans must urgently begin a ruthless introspection, and ask: Are we going in the right direction? Otherwise, we will soon find ourselves caught in the widening gyre of apocalyptic chaos while chanting hackneyed pan-African platitudes.

https://www.theeastafrican.co.ke/tea/oped/comment/things-falling-apart-in-nigeria-3399908
Re: Kenya Press Writes - Things Falling Apart In Nigeria & The Centre Cannot Hold by donbachi(m): 8:40am On May 22, 2021
Egg shell is stronger than nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Kenya Press Writes - Things Falling Apart In Nigeria & The Centre Cannot Hold by Nobody: 8:42am On May 22, 2021
Ah well, come 2023, OP will be singing a different tune, and his opposite numbers will be singing a different tune too.

When Nigerians are not a part of the chopping, that's when you hear them sing 'Nigeria is in trobule'.

The sad thing is, it is very difficult to distinguish them from those genuinely concerened about Nigeria.
Re: Kenya Press Writes - Things Falling Apart In Nigeria & The Centre Cannot Hold by Nobody: 8:42am On May 22, 2021
tauceti23:
Ah well, come 2023, OP will be singing a different tune, and his opposite numbers will be singing a different tune too.

When Nigerians are not a part of the chopping, that's when you hear them sing 'Nigeria is in trobule'.

The sad thing is, it is very difficult to distinguish them from those genuinely concerened about Nigeria.

The article is from the Kenya Press not the Nigerian Press. Did you even look at the headline ?

1 Like

Re: Kenya Press Writes - Things Falling Apart In Nigeria & The Centre Cannot Hold by FreeIgbos: 8:43am On May 22, 2021
When are we having the referendum so we can put an end to all these nonsense?!

Nigeria is a contraption and a massive hellhole, we don't deserve all these sufferings and deaths on a large scale.

3 Likes

Re: Kenya Press Writes - Things Falling Apart In Nigeria & The Centre Cannot Hold by Nobody: 8:45am On May 22, 2021
PeaceforNigeria:

The article is from the Kenya Press not the Nigerian Press. Did you even look at the headline ?

And you are positing it because it serves your agenda.

Just as your opposite numbers will post articles on how Nigeria is ok, and doing fine because it serves their agenda.

Come 2023....we know you will be under the rain protection mechanism.....just as some will be lining up behind the anti-dirt mechanism....

As for me....Nigerians need to wake up.

MODIFIED

Just for the record, I am tired of those who say Nigeria is on the verge of destruction, and at the same time tired of those who say Nigeria is on the verge of prosperity. Both have an agenda....and it isn't development.
Re: Kenya Press Writes - Things Falling Apart In Nigeria & The Centre Cannot Hold by Nobody: 8:47am On May 22, 2021
tauceti23:

Just as your opposite numbers will post articles on how Nigeria is ok, and doing fine because it serves their agenda.

Come 2023....we know you will be under the rain protection mechanism.....just as some will be lining up behind the anti-dirt mechanism....

No, I posted it because it is 1000& TRUE.

I care not for one party over the other. Nigeria needs reformation not election. No justice = no peace.
Re: Kenya Press Writes - Things Falling Apart In Nigeria & The Centre Cannot Hold by Nobody: 8:50am On May 22, 2021
PeaceforNigeria:

No, I posted it because it is 1000& TRUE.

I care not for one party over the other. Nigeria needs reformation not election. No justice = no peace.

No, Nigeria needs people to stop voting for bad leaders, to stop looking for division because they think it means they will get more money to chop, to stop thinking that there is a national cake, and start looking for industrial development, and to stop setting up businesses depenent on importing stuff, and so on.
Re: Kenya Press Writes - Things Falling Apart In Nigeria & The Centre Cannot Hold by Koryc: 8:58am On May 22, 2021
The centre has caved in.
Re: Kenya Press Writes - Things Falling Apart In Nigeria & The Centre Cannot Hold by GodHatesBigots(m): 9:05am On May 22, 2021
tauceti23:

MODIFIED

Just for the record, I am tired of those who say Nigeria is on the verge of destruction, and at the same time tired of those who say Nigeria is on the verge of prosperity. Both have an agenda....and it isn't development.

The only agenda in Nigeria is the agenda of the Cabal and their looting partners.

We are just ordinary people who want a change in Nigeria, so we post and speak the Harsh unbuttered truth.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Press Writes - Things Falling Apart In Nigeria & The Centre Cannot Hold by Nobody: 9:07am On May 22, 2021
GodHatesBigots:

The only agenda in Nigeria is the agenda of the Cabal and their looting partners.

We are just ordinary people who want a change in Nigeria, so we post and speak the Harsh unbuttered truth.

Well, time we left our armchairs and became the change we want...and no moaning about violence is not the way forward.
Re: Kenya Press Writes - Things Falling Apart In Nigeria & The Centre Cannot Hold by Nobody: 9:12am On May 22, 2021
tauceti23:

No, Nigeria needs people to stop voting for bad leaders, to stop looking for division because they think it means they will get more money to chop, to stop thinking that there is a national cake, and start looking for industrial development, and to stop setting up businesses depenent on importing stuff, and so on.

1 Like

Re: Kenya Press Writes - Things Falling Apart In Nigeria & The Centre Cannot Hold by Nobody: 9:14am On May 22, 2021
PeaceforNigeria:

Hmm, so you think I am hiding my head in the sand.

Well, this your image confirms my suspcions, your posting this article is to promote your agenda.

Stop looking for a national cake. There is no cake.
Re: Kenya Press Writes - Things Falling Apart In Nigeria & The Centre Cannot Hold by Nobody: 9:19am On May 22, 2021
tauceti23:

Hmm, so you think I am hiding my head in the sand.

Well, this your image confirms my suspcions, your posting this article is to promote your agenda.

Stop looking for a national cake. There is no cake.

I have my own cake, the cake I built, and I eat it with my family – it is a big nice cake and it will last us for years.

Most Nigerians don’t want the National cake, they want the environment, freedom, and tools to make their own cake.
The leaders of the nation unfortunately are more interested in the national cake and a Fulani led Jihad.

Again :

1 Like

Re: Kenya Press Writes - Things Falling Apart In Nigeria & The Centre Cannot Hold by Nobody: 9:20am On May 22, 2021
PeaceforNigeria:

I have my own cake, the cake I built, and I eat it with my family – it is a big nice cake and it will last us for years.

Most Nigerians don’t want the National cake, they want the environment, freedom, and tools to make their own cake.
The leaders of the nation unfortunately are more interested in the national cake and a Fulani led Jihad.

Again :

PDP man, your mask is slipping.

Plus that image is so you, not me.

Again, stop looking for a national cake, you and your hausa, yoruba, fulani, etc, friends. Go and join a party, and be the change you want to be.

And stop supporting secession...because you feel left out of the chopping.(yes, you have posted pro-Biafra threads here, despite your monicker, so don't deny it)
Re: Kenya Press Writes - Things Falling Apart In Nigeria & The Centre Cannot Hold by owobokiri(m): 9:41am On May 22, 2021
The country is gone.. Beyond mekwantansi..
Any little hope of it's revival has been dashed by the rampaging janja-weed party..
It's just a matter of time.

The article spent a lot of time talking about the historical imports of the caption "Things Fall Apart" on Nigeria.., yet the most prophetically ominous term given to Nigerians by Chinua Achebe was the very last one as he left the shores of this Evil contraption: "There Was a Country"..

That term was/is the perfect epitaph that should be emblazoned on the tomb of this iniquitous amalgam.

2 Likes

Re: Kenya Press Writes - Things Falling Apart In Nigeria & The Centre Cannot Hold by Mabizeka: 9:47am On May 22, 2021
Buhari has destroyed Nigeria beyond redemption

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kenya Press Writes - Things Falling Apart In Nigeria & The Centre Cannot Hold by ZorGBUooeh: 9:54am On May 22, 2021
Kenya and Ghana is be the highest gainers is Nigeria break up
Re: Kenya Press Writes - Things Falling Apart In Nigeria & The Centre Cannot Hold by helinues: 9:56am On May 22, 2021
If na fall it still good,things don scatter apart

1 Like

Re: Kenya Press Writes - Things Falling Apart In Nigeria & The Centre Cannot Hold by Nobody: 10:01am On May 22, 2021
tauceti23:

PDP man, your mask is slipping.

Plus that image is so you, not me.

Again, stop looking for a national cake, you and your hausa, yoruba, fulani, etc, friends. Go and join a party, and be the change you want to be.

And stop supporting secession...because you feel left out of the chopping.(yes, you have posted pro-Biafra threads here, despite your monicker, so don't deny it)

A wife would not seek for divorce if a husband created the conditions for her to flourish. Think about it.

The husband should be reconciled to his 'wife' and make her free to flourish, otherwise divorce is inevitable.

(1) (Reply)

Who Has Been The Best Governor In Nigeria Since 1999, Serving Or Past! / Here's The List Of Consular Assistance The UK Can Offer Nnamdi Kanu In Detention / IPOB Terrorist Storm Kenya Embassy Questions Kanu Extradition VIDEO

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.