Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,087 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:17 AM

Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified - Jobs/Vacancies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified (46665 Views)

Getting A Job In The Oil Industry With A Third Class: How Possible? / Who Else Received This Email From United Nations SDN? / How To Get A Job In Australia From Nigeria As A Graduate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by hectorswag(m): 2:07pm On May 23, 2021
jabberjawz:

Register as a UNV or check the UN agencies website for more details....

https://www.unv.org/
Nice, thanks. I learnt you have a better shot at landing a good job in the UN if you've done at least 1-2 years of volunteer work with them in the past. Not too sure though but I believe competence still precedes over all.
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by Angelawhite(m): 2:29pm On May 23, 2021
jabberjawz:

UN does not hire teachers, but you can learn any of the official UN languages and work as a translator.

Can I work as a Software Engineer?
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by jabberjawz: 2:35pm On May 23, 2021
Emmzy201:

Please how do I go about this?
Thanks for your prompt response

Always check through the UN agencies career page on their websites, such position are posted on their website or advertised in the dailies for individual consultant/contractor to send in their expression of interest.
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by Isaaciceman367: 2:39pm On May 23, 2021
Please I need it
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by jabberjawz: 2:41pm On May 23, 2021
oseman:
Please, how can I work with UN, I am a Human Resources expert with over 10 years experience. What should I add or subtract from my resume. Thank you in

Always check through the organization website for openings.....UNICEF recently did a massive recruitment of HR professionals globally......a recruitment drive to support it's global HR operations in global shared service center in Budapest...... and also UNICEF HQ did a massive recruitment lately for HR Analytics role.......UNHCR also did the same recently..... when they released thier quarterly job compendium.....

Bottom line, always be on the lookout for such opportunities.

2 Likes

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by Focusmind: 2:42pm On May 23, 2021
You don't get hired by UN easily except if you are lucky to enter through their global talent program which is very competitive. There are international agencies, working in the humanitarian sector in Nigeria, paying more than UN.

Deepen your skills in Data analysis, Monitoring and evaluation, Report writing and graphics, Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), Development and conflict management.

Masters degree is a must as it gives you an edge. The sector is fiercely competitive and you have to show strong competitive advantage over other candidates.

Search for job with the following organisations in Nigeria:
USAID
British Council
Danish refugee council; Norwegian refugee council
Plan international
Palladium
RTI
Ford foundation
Christian aid
Caritas
German development cooperation
European union and ECOWAS
Creative associates
Medicine san frontiers
INTERSOS
Save the children
Family Health International (FHI)
Association for Reproductive Health and Family (ARFH)
Clinton Health Foundation
World Bank
International Finance Corporation
Islamic Development Bank
International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent (IFRC)
Catholic Relief Service (CRS)
Panagora
Development Alternative Initiative (DAI)
Coffey
Society for Family Health (SFH)
MSI

There are many others that I can't remember again. You need to horn your skills with these organisation to make your path to UN easier.

Also note that not all these agencies pays more than UN, but they provide more easy route. UN agencies hardly recruit people without development and humanitarian experiences.

Don't underestimate the importance of being multilingual. Learn foreign languages like french and German. German development cooperation or medicine san frontiers will take someone fluent in German or French, as the the case may be than someone that is monolingual. That's why most francophone countries are more represented in international organisations than anglophone countries. Those from french speaking countries learns English as a second language while those from English speaking countries hardly learns french or any other language.

You have to also be good with the work of UN and it's agencies around the world. Agencies of UN include the following:
UNICEF
FAO
WFP
UNDP
UNESCO
International Organisation for Migration (IOM)
United Nations Organisation for Drugs and Crime
WHO

Getting into these agencies are not easy.

24 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by jabberjawz: 2:46pm On May 23, 2021
Angelawhite:

Can I work as a Software Engineer?

Yes, most software engineers are employed as consultants, most software engineer roles involves building, testing & deployment of software solutions.....which mostly is project based..... lately cloud solutions architect have been in demand... wink

1 Like

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by Emmzy201(m): 2:57pm On May 23, 2021
jabberjawz:

Always check through the UN agencies career page on their websites, such position are posted on their website or advertised in the dailies for individual consider/contractor to send in their expression of interest.
Thanks
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by Angelawhite(m): 3:02pm On May 23, 2021
jabberjawz:

Yes, most software engineers are employed as consultants, most software engineer roles involves building, testing & deployment of software solutions.....which mostly is project based..... lately cloud solutions architect have been in demand... wink

Thanks bro.
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by Richdee1(m): 3:03pm On May 23, 2021
Focusmind:
You don't get hired by UN directly except if you lucky to enter through their global talent program which is very competitive. There are international agencies, working in the humanitarian sector in Nigeria, paying more than UN.

Deepen your skills in Data analysis, Monitoring and evaluation, Report writing and graphics, Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), Development and conflict management.

Masters degree is a must as it gives you an edge. The sector is fiercely competitive and you have to show strong competitive advantage over other candidates.

USAID
British Council
Plan international
Palladium
RTI
Ford foundation
Christian aid
Caritas
Creative associates
Medicine san frontiers
INTERSOS
Save the children

There are many others that I can't remember again. You need to horn your skills with these organisation to make your path to UN easier.

Thanks a lot bro, been looking for agencies under the UN on Google, but could not get it
Thanks for this!
If you have more pls drop
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by GogetterMD(m): 3:05pm On May 23, 2021
jabberjawz:

Taaaa......Boss no repeat am for public o grin
Comparing what cadres? MSF pays better for mid-tier cadres, because most of the staff are posted out of station. Reason I do not want to work with MSF is because of the fact that you barely do 2 years in one station before having to move to another. That's not good for a stable life
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by GogetterMD(m): 3:06pm On May 23, 2021
Focusmind:
You don't get hired by UN directly except if you lucky to enter through their global talent program which is very competitive. There are international agencies, working in the humanitarian sector in Nigeria, paying more than UN.

USAID
British Council
Plan international
Palladium
RTI
Ford foundation
Christian aid
Caritas
Creative associates
Medicine san frontiers
INTERSOS
Save the children

There are some local non-profits that are not on this list that rival the payment of the iNGOs
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by ItzNas(m): 3:11pm On May 23, 2021
Not entirely true. I just recently resigned from one of the iNGOs you listed here. I handled budgeting and we frequently worked as a consortium with the donors and I know for sure that very few top donors match what UN pays eg USAID, DfID. I have more than a few friends working with WFP and UNICEF in Maiduguri also.
You can get UN job on merit but knowing someone there makes you stand a better chance. You would still have to ace the tests and interviews but it greatly boosts your chance.
The points about getting in through the talent program and having to hold a Master's degree are also incorrect.
Focusmind:

USAID
British Council
Plan international
Palladium
RTI
Ford foundation
Christian aid
Caritas
Creative associates
Medicine san frontiers
INTERSOS
Save the children

7 Likes

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by ItzNas(m): 3:13pm On May 23, 2021
E go hard o. Maybe SFH and WEWE sha.
GogetterMD:

There are some local non-profits that are not on this list that rival the payment of the iNGOs

1 Like

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by jabberjawz: 3:13pm On May 23, 2021
For folks interested in communication & advocacy.... please check the link below & apply...

https://jobs.unicef.org/en-us/job/540658/national-ureport-and-rapidpro-individual-contractor-abuja-nigeria-115-months

2 Likes

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by Richdee1(m): 3:14pm On May 23, 2021
GogetterMD:

Like??. Can you list them??
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by GogetterMD(m): 3:16pm On May 23, 2021
Richdee1:

Like??. Can you list them??
Those doing HIV and tuberculosis programming - IHVN, APIN, FHI360, Damien Foundation.
International NGOs like CHAI and BMGF also pay excellently
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by GogetterMD(m): 3:17pm On May 23, 2021
ItzNas:
E go hard o. Maybe SFH and WEWE sha.
SFH ke? How now? Not even close. SFH lives on old glory
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by jabberjawz: 3:19pm On May 23, 2021
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by jabberjawz: 3:23pm On May 23, 2021
GogetterMD:

Comparing what cadres? MSF pays better for mid-tier cadres, because most of the staff are posted out of station. Reason I do not want to work with MSF is because of the fact that you barely do 2 years in one station before having to move to another. That's not good for a stable life

Boss, Msf is not a match in anyway to UN.... compensation wise....both for national & international posting.....
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by Richdee1(m): 3:25pm On May 23, 2021
GogetterMD:

Those doing HIV and tuberculosis programming - IHVN, APIN, FHI360, Damien Foundation.
International NGOs like CHAI and BMGF also pay excellently

Thanks
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IvyGRush: 3:26pm On May 23, 2021
Reasonwithme2:

I have a skill acquisition/youth development scheme in form of business idea, UN and other international organizations as well as NGOs can adopt and help youths and make money as well..

Good Day @Reasonwithme2
Can you kindly Share this please
springvilleng@gmail.com
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by FLYFIRE(m): 3:27pm On May 23, 2021
Everyone be CAREFUL. The UN agencies DOES NOT recruit interns. Interns could only be kept by an agency, & very rare too, for the perid of a few months & WITHOUT PAY. Everything the UN want made public can be seen & copied online. That is probably where our "UN STAFF " @Iderade Aratumi & @Jabberjawz WHO IS SAME PERSON copied all he is spewing out here. He is the person that probably made the inciting post yesterday for this rubbish today. If you want to know about the UN, go to un.org & you will find EVERYTHING so these FRAUDS wont dupe you. On un.org all the agencies have their links there. Find the individual agency website & look through & you wll find what you are looking for. A UN staff wont have time for this nonsense...ENOUGH SAID

2 Likes

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by GogetterMD(m): 3:32pm On May 23, 2021
jabberjawz:

Boss, Msf is not a match in anyway to UN.... compensation wise....both for national & international posting.....
If you say so...
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by jabberjawz: 3:34pm On May 23, 2021
FLYFIRE:
Everyone be CAREFUL. The UN agencies DOES NOT recruit interns. Interns could only be kept by an agency, & very rare too, for the perid of a few months & WITHOUT PAY. Everything the UN want made public can be seen & copied online. That is probably where our "UN STAFF " @Iderade Aratumi & @Jabberjawz WHO IS SAME PERSON copied all he is spewing out here. He is the person that probably made the inciting post yesterday for this rubbish today. If you want to know about the UN, go to un.org & you will find EVERYTHING so these FRAUDS wont dupe you. On un.org all the agencies have their links there. A UN staff wont hhave time for this nonsense...ENOUGH SAID

That's why the country is messed up cos we have foolish & senseless people like you.... , People who always think every "NIGERIAN" is a fraudster, people who never see positives in others efforts..... don't even bother to quote me cos this is my last response to you...... ANIMAL....angry

4 Likes

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by GogetterMD(m): 3:35pm On May 23, 2021
tito44:

Lol... In MSF, a log supervisor is in grade 6, the take home is around 260k+, in UN, a log assistant takes 700k+. Msf don't even pay anything compared to UN, iFRC, ICRC etc

Perdiem for msf is a misery 3k per night. UN is like times 15 of that for a night.

Summary: a manager in MSF does not earn anything close to an assistant in UN agencies
Don't mislead people with this stats you quoting. I work in the industry, and I have peers that work across most of those agencies. Even local NGOs won't pay you 3k per night for per diem or DSA

3 Likes

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by FLYFIRE(m): 3:35pm On May 23, 2021
jabberjawz:

That's why the country is messed up cos we have foolish & senseless people like you.... , People who always think everyone is a fraudster, people who never see positives in others efforts..... don't even bother too quote me cos this is my last response to you...... ANIMAL....angry
YOU ARE A FRAUD
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by dammie4j(m): 3:45pm On May 23, 2021
AirBay:
@IdreadeAratumi

Let me get my popcorn grin

I have always wondered how people get Jobs at UN, UNESCO, WHO et al.

You must have big connections to start working with UN @ your 20s.

You do not need connections to get a job with the INGOs. You need to have a global perspective with your activities focused on international development. Sometimes a volunteering experience can be the icing.
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by tito44: 4:04pm On May 23, 2021
GogetterMD:

Don't mislead people with this stats you quoting. I work in the industry, and I have peers that work across most of those agencies. Even local NGOs won't pay you 3k per night for per diem or DSA

Mister don't say what u don't know. Call ur peers, msf pays that as perdiem. Now come back and correct urself here when u re thru with ur call
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by ModestGal(f): 4:15pm On May 23, 2021
I wish to work for the United Nations, but I do not have any hope getting one in Nigeria, but when I finally move to my destination,I could try it. That's why I'm pursuing a second masters degree in international development at Humber college, Canada
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 4:27pm On May 23, 2021
DareyFortified:

Great... How can one get an internship at UN?

This depends on the specific agency, but generally recruitment of an intern is not location-specific. As a potential intern, do not restrict yourself to your resident country as you have equal opportunity of internship with anyone, anywhere in the world if you meet the basic requirements. This is the good thing about the UN. Recruitment is highly competitive, albeit merit based and not based on connections or man-know-man parlance.

Start your internship journey here: https://www.un.org/en/academic-impact/page/internships

I wish you all the best!
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by Nobody: 4:29pm On May 23, 2021
What about someone that studied Nutrition and dietetics (A registered dietitian), how can she get a job with any of the NGOs

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

18 Common Interview Questions, Tips And Answers / Job Offer: Stanbic IBTC Bank 2021 Graduate Trainee Program / Qi Group Of Companies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.