Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,747 members, 7,809,849 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:58 PM

Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified - Jobs/Vacancies (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified (46571 Views)

Getting A Job In The Oil Industry With A Third Class: How Possible? / Who Else Received This Email From United Nations SDN? / How To Get A Job In Australia From Nigeria As A Graduate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 4:30pm On May 23, 2021
Fraiser:
Excellent... Is there any opportunity for quality control/assurance guys in UN?

Yes please, quality control/assurance with respect to food, commodities, goods or services? Please be specific to enable a more helpful response.
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 4:32pm On May 23, 2021
Structuralman:

Is the link below really helpful?

inspira.un.org

Yes it is. However, getting a job in the UN is a journey itself that requires a lot of "google" researches. Hence, do not limit yourself to that link.

Best of luck!

2 Likes

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by FLYFIRE(m): 4:33pm On May 23, 2021
IderadeAratumi:

This depends on the specific agency, but generally recruitment of an intern is not location-specific. As a potential intern, do not restrict yourself to your resident country as you have equal opportunity of internship with anyone, anywhere in the world if you meet the basic requirements. This is the good thing about the UN. Recruitment is highly competitive, albeit merit based and not based on connections or man-know-man parlance.

Start your internship journey here: https://www.un.org/en/academic-impact/page/internships

I wish you all the best!
You have now CHANGED to your other moniker because I called you out. Why NOT say you want to share what you have read & could help others than saying you work with the UN. FRAUDSTER.
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by GogetterMD(m): 4:33pm On May 23, 2021
tito44:

Mister don't say what u don't know. Call ur peers, msf pays that as perdiem. Now come back and correct urself here when u re thru with ur call
OK dear smiley
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by ModestGal(f): 4:34pm On May 23, 2021
I know many people working with UN, they all know someone that knows someone that have vital information for recruiting them. Stop wasting your time applying for UN jobs in Nigeria, connection is still needed
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 4:44pm On May 23, 2021
illicit:
Can I teach with the UN?

Yes, you may, depending on the agency and specific donor funded projects being executed per time.

You increase your chances of being hired by adding value to yourself through creative activities that stands you out from other crowd of teachers. This includes, but not limited to having an intermediate knowldege of a second "UN" language such as French, Chinese, Arabic, etc.
Infact, being versed in a UN language other than English goes a long way in setting you apart from the crowd.

Action Point: google search " United Nations agencies recruiting teachers or language instructors"

Best of Luck!
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by Downey(f): 4:50pm On May 23, 2021
IderadeAratumi:
I am a Female Nigerian in my early thirties and have been working @ the UN for several years.

This thread has been created to answer specific questions you may have about working in the UN.

I have been working from home since the beginning of the pandemic and my days are always extremely busy ; juggling official duties with domestic responsibilities as a wife and mother cry. Notwithstanding, I will try my best to select serious questions and provide comprehensive feedback that will help you kick start your journey in this regard.

As the thread progresses, I shall be posting vacancies from several UN/international organisations in Nigeria, and also provide support with helping you to brand your CV for international organisations like the UN, but not limited to the UN.

Please note that this thread is for serious minded peeps only and comments irrelevant to the purpose of this (life changing) thread will be overlooked.

Kind Regards,
Iderade Aratumi
Sister, please may l have your what's app number?
I leave in Lagos.
And how would l apply?
I have Bsc in Statistics 2:1
I have N D in Electrical/ Electronics engineering
Upper credit.
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 4:53pm On May 23, 2021
BABYharder:
Good morning Ma, can a graduate with low grade (2.2) be recruited? If yes pls how feasible is it?

UN intervies are competency based and the decision of hiring you is dependent on how well you perform during the interview, not based on your class of degree. Having said that, your class of degree may come into play in determining if you will be part of the first stage of recruitment which is the Test. If you do not want a 2-2 degree to outrightly disqualify you from being invited for test, ask yourself, what value have you added to yourself that will make recruiters overlook the class of degree and be eager to invite you on board?

The UN is more concerned about the VALUE you bring on board which transcends your class of degree. This is why all UN interviews anywhere in the world have a competency-based format being utilized by recruiters.

In the UN, vacancy announcements specify either First degree or advanced university degree. Class of degree is not usually stated. But to increase your chances, what value have you added to yourself that will set you apart from the crowd in this highly competitive recruitment process?

Best of Luck!

2 Likes

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 4:56pm On May 23, 2021
Ikegift4real:
What are the jibs available?
Where do one apply.
What's the CV format like.
What is the working experience.

https://www.un.org/en/academic-impact/page/internships
inspira.un.org

1 Like

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 4:59pm On May 23, 2021
tito44:
UN mostly poach staffers from top iNGOs, Red Cross and MSF especially

Not always true. Depends on the particular agency and projects being executed
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 5:02pm On May 23, 2021
AirBay:
@IdreadeAratumi

Let me get my popcorn grin

I have always wondered how people get Jobs at UN, UNESCO, WHO et al.

You must have big connections to start working with UN @ your 20s.

When you have connections, believe me, your chances of getting hired are significantly reduced. I knew no one. Likewise the few colleagues I relate with. During my interview, the some staff came calling for some names they had "worked" to be included in the interview list. None of the names made it to the interview.
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 5:06pm On May 23, 2021
JONSYN7154:
I disagree with you Sir. There are people who work in an international agencies and want to help but nairaland badmouthed people will make them to stop.

If one say he/she work in such organization the first thing to do is to investigate that person.

Thanks. I've been on NL since 2011. However, I created this alternate monicker for such a time as this to maintain my anonymousity. My main monicker has a lot of info about me, even my phone number. I am extremely busy and do not have the time to convince anyone of my intentions. Anyone can chose what/what not to believe. I am too busy to care.

5 Likes

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by Olayinka997(m): 5:07pm On May 23, 2021
Am a graduate of surveying and geo Informatics do I stand a chance working with U.N and where do I fit in ?thanks
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 5:08pm On May 23, 2021
ekoyo:
can i actually get a job as an economist

The good thing about the UN is that Yes, this is possible. And so many other possibilities exist if you are tenacious in researching for related jobs. Best of luck!
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by Gfskw: 5:12pm On May 23, 2021
Connection
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 5:12pm On May 23, 2021
adaperry25:
ordinary job seekers don't have hope

I was an ordinary job seeker, being out of job for over a year. The UN gave me hope and have given hope to several other "ordinary" job seekers. However, the question is always: what value have you added to yourself because your "joblessness" does not define you. Being valueless is more of a tragedy than being jobless and the UN understans this, which is why there is no discrimination in the recruitment process.

1 Like

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 5:14pm On May 23, 2021
lebete3000:

Please what does it take to work as a Medical Officer Doctor with the United Nations, or do I tour the WHO route?

UN is also a stakeholder in WHO. You may try the UNICEF route as well. Sometime soon, I will list all the UN agencies on this thread, to help you and others find your niche(s).

Best of luck!

2 Likes

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by olisaEze(m): 5:17pm On May 23, 2021
Mama I don show! grin
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 5:18pm On May 23, 2021
oluyeyelanre:
Is there any opportunity for Geologist in the UN. Thanks

There is always an opportunity for all, depending on how much value you have added to yourself and other things which stands you out of the crowd. Are you genuinely interested in serving humanity? If you are, you will engage in personal activities and knowledge seeking which will stand you out from the crowd when recruiters view your CV.

Best of luck!
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 5:19pm On May 23, 2021
yahmohy27:

Yes that Idera might not be her real name nah

It isn't ofcourse. wink
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 5:20pm On May 23, 2021
peacettw:
Why isn't she answering?

Because I went to church kiss
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 5:23pm On May 23, 2021
Reasonwithme2:

I have a skill acquisition/youth development scheme in form of business idea, UN and other international organizations as well as NGOs can adopt and help youths and make money as well..

Applaudable. The kind of value I was insinuating. Do not share your idea with anyone. Instead, package it into a captivating, irresistible proposal and share with relevant UN agencies home and abroad. Nothing is guaranteed but it is a good place to start.

Best of Luck!
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 5:24pm On May 23, 2021
pimper24:

I was called for an interview in 2016 after passing the written test and asked to fill and submit the p11 Form. Was emailed later that it was put on hold.
Till date no information. Calls not picked, messages not replied.
Could you help demystify this for me?

What agency? I know what that means in my agency.
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by olisaEze(m): 5:26pm On May 23, 2021
jabberjawz:

Rightly said, there's been a lot of misconstrued information out there about getting a job or working with the UN, it's a good thing you created the thread to sensitize job seekers on how to identify potential paths of joining the UN/Development world, I also have had a stint with the UN & I will be willing to share my experiences as well for the benefit of the job seeking community.....I will let the @op take the the questions already posted, I can come in to complement... smiley

NB: I wouldn't respond to DMs for personal reasons, but you can ask your questions in the thread for the benefit of others & I will try my best to support @OP in responding to your questions in the thread.

Thanks for volunteering to compliment the Op in helping out others in this community.

Are there vacancies for graduates older than 25 years in the UN, and how can one apply?

How many times in a year does the United Nations recruit?
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 5:26pm On May 23, 2021
Guzel:
It’s unfortunate that Nigerians don’t believe that someone can help. I have friends working at UN agencies and almost all of them were recruited through LinkedIn or help from persons like this. I’m not vouching for the person of the Op, if you are interested set up a LinkedIn account, subscribe to these UN agencies, follow Op’s Steps but if she demands for cash.... just ignore her. Write papers and recommendations to issues around you. Everyone wants to work with the UN; however, many cannot profer solutions to issues around them. The UN does not employ liabilities but folks with solutions with issues.
Well done Op

Awwn, Thank you
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 5:30pm On May 23, 2021
Ahasco:
How old can one be to get employed in the service? I mean is there any age limit to recruitment?

Depends on the requirements of the job. Generally, age is not a barrier. The position I was recruited to, also has people 25 years older than I on thesame level. The question is what value sets you apart?
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 5:31pm On May 23, 2021
jabberjawz:

Yes you are right, they recruit people with feild or hands-on experience either from local NGO's or international NGO's and in some cases candidates with hands-on or field academic research experience.

I did not have an NGO/INGO/ international work experience. The UN is looking for irresistible value

1 Like

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 5:32pm On May 23, 2021
femi4:
Una don pursue Idẹra with your bad mouth

Thanks. I am extremely busy. Just committed to try my best on the thread despite my schedule

1 Like

Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 5:36pm On May 23, 2021
Sewgon79:

My name is Segun Ifedayo, Male from Ogun state, Nigeria. I have privileged to know someone that work with UN at Oyinkan Abayomi Drive, Ikoyi sometimes around 2004. It was fascinating though i was very young then. I lost the person contact.

Since then, i have been looking for a way to work with UN but all proof to no avail. I don't know if i still have the privilege to work with any of UN offices.

I am computer software engineer with 3 Microsoft Certified Professional certificates.

Please can you guide me or help on how to get recommended for job[b] internal vacancies.[/b] I learnt through the woman i know then that someone can applied for job and get recommended by internal staffs. That it will make the person 'a person of interest'.

Please i need your guidance on how to get job in information technology department in any of the office in Nigeria.

Find attached my CV

Does not guarantee getting the job. In my agency, all vacancies are posed internally and externally. Hence, I have no idea about "internal only" vacancies
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by jabberjawz: 5:36pm On May 23, 2021
IderadeAratumi:

I did not have an NGO/INGO/ international work experience. The UN is looking for irresistible value

Lucky you, well, from my experience working as an IP, experience is one of the key ingredients to getting shortlisted for IP/National roles... smiley
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 5:37pm On May 23, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:

The name is fake. It neither exists on Facebook nor LinkedIn.
Also, this particular thread was also opened on another obscure webpage.
Either a scammer or a bot but definitely not real.

Thank you. Much appreciated. You will reduce the load of work for me on this thread. Thanks
Re: Getting A Job In The United Nations Demystified by IderadeAratumi: 5:39pm On May 23, 2021
chymes0359:
One don't even know what to believe again.

I have been looking for opportunity in logistics and procurement operation in most of these top iNGO's for couple of years but non till now.

I have the certification and what it takes ..

What am i not getting right..

Am on Linkedin too following most the officials..

Having worked with NRC and DRC as field enúmerator and other small NGOs in Adamawa state..
Please what am i not getting right..

Logistics and procurement is hot cake in my agency. I will personally see to this one. Just let me finish responding to questions and we'll take it up on this thread because I do not respond to DMs.

Best of luck!

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply)

Man Going For Interview Speaks Rudely To Prospective Employer Inside KEKE NAPEP / Nigerian Employers Really Need To Stop This [picture] / Recruitment Into The Nigeria Police Force As Cadet ASP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.