Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,338 members, 7,811,980 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:20 AM

Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture (2727 Views)

Esu Chikun, Danjuma Barde Is Dead / Benins Are The Owners Of Ogboni Confraternity and olokun worship / Ilu Aje (The Land Of The Wizard) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by TheMomentumTv(m): 1:56pm On May 26, 2021
I will be sharing three interesting things I got to know about Yoruba culture among thousand I'm yet to have a clue of (smiles). I'm not proud of that though. As a real Yoruba man, I should know as much as possible about my culture. Discussing one doesn't mean I won't share the remaining two, maybe not just immediately, but shortly.

Out of these three, one or two may look like 'religion', but permit me to expand the concept of culture more wider and not only limited to norms.

Let's start with what we all think we know. I know some know more than I do, FACT! But at least, let's share this for others to know what we know.

IFA, Aje Olokun. I'm sure you will agree with me that it's common. Some will even update a white calabash on their social media status every Monday morning in a way of inviting the goddess of money (Aje Olokun). I was curious to know better, and this took me to an expert in Osogbo, Oyasogo Abiodun.

In the meeting, we discussed about;
1. The origin of Aje Olokun.
2. It's benefits.
3. The relationship between female gender and the goddess of wealth.
4. How Orunmila met Aje.

All these can be found in an article that discusses the facts about Aje Olokun.

But, for the sake of those who cannot check the full details out, let's have a summary.

The interviewed revealed to me that;
1. we have at least 401 gods in Yoruba land, and goddess of wealth (Aje Olokun) is one of the most cherished one. (Na which god people go love if not that of money, I wonder o).
2. Aje is the daughter of Olokun but before anyone can get anything from Olokun, Aje must be duly praised.
3. four primary foods of Aje mentioned to me include; banana, beans, honey and ekuru (The 'butter' version of this generation may not know ekuru, and me the 'paki' version don't know the English for that either, smiles).
4. Aje doesn't bless a lazy man.
5. a lady having Aje spirit does not mean she is possessed.
6. the story of how Orunmila met Aje shows that Aje will reveal itself to whosoever is not too desperate to have her wealth.

I hope this few tips will help you have a better understanding about Aje Olokun.

In my next post, if well followed, we should look into Esu Odara. Yes, I mean the same Esu that we Christians and Muslims call (Devil and Iblees or Shaitaan respectively). Smiles.
Kindly drop your comment if you think this is helpful.
Cheers!
You can check out more about world culture, believe and tourism at large on Tour and Culture

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by MightySparrow: 2:06pm On May 26, 2021
Untill Aje drops 1billion dollars on my bed, it doesn't exist.

2 Likes

Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by TheMomentumTv(m): 2:16pm On May 26, 2021
Hahahah. Make we work hard... Smiles
Thanks for sharing on take in this.
MightySparrow:
Untill Aje drops 1billion dollars on my bed, it doesn't exist.
Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by gregyboy(m): 6:18pm On May 26, 2021
Olokun and orunmila is an edo worship borrowed by Yorubas

So stop forming some yoruba myth in it

1 Like

Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by TheMomentumTv(m): 6:45pm On May 26, 2021
Thanks for sharing this thought. What do I know too? We are learning here. Can you please give further details if we can all know more about it. Thanks
gregyboy:

Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by Olu317(m): 8:17pm On May 26, 2021
Shoot. I am waiting to learn more cool.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by Balogunodua(m): 8:47pm On May 26, 2021
gregyboy:

So you have not recovered from your delusion..... grin

1 Like

Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by Balogunodua(m): 8:48pm On May 26, 2021
TheMomentumTv:
Thanks for sharing this thought. What do I know too? We are learning here. Can you please give further details if we can all know more about it. Thanks
He knows nothing... cheesy he is an Edo miscreant grin

1 Like

Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by TA4TA4: 8:53pm On May 26, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEtAQTFx0cs

Above is the mmanwu culture.... It is of the igbo extraction

1 Like

Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by gregyboy(m): 9:11pm On May 26, 2021
TheMomentumTv:

There is no myth to olokun worship, it is a just mere worship of the spirit of the sea

Olokun in benin mean

Olo (centre).... Okun(sea)

The centre of the sea..

The image below shows an edo woman drawing the symbols of olokun,

So you making a myth on a worship foreign to the yorubas threatens all other myth you write up there

The worship of olokun and orunmila are of edo origin which was brought to the yorubas by benin military expansion

1 Like

Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by gregyboy(m): 9:15pm On May 26, 2021
Balogunodua:

It is believed that the olokun was the king of the sea and the oba was the king of the land
Until the oba defeated the trespassing olokun who was interfering on the affairs of the land and totally relegated him to the sea

the the oba emerged greater than the olokun

Thats why the oba is called the king of the sea and the king of the land

1 Like

Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by Balogunodua(m): 9:19pm On May 26, 2021
gregyboy:

It is believed that the olokun was the king of the sea and the oba was the king of the land
Until the oba defeated the trespassing olokun who was interfering on the affairs of the land and totally relegated him to the sea

And the the oba emerged greater than the olokun

Thats why the oba is called the king of the sea
What is the name of the MOVIE.... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by Balogunodua(m): 9:21pm On May 26, 2021
gregyboy:

There is no myth to olokun worship, it is a just mere worship of the spirit of the sea

Olokun in benin mean

The centre of the sea..

So you making a myth on a worship foreign to the yorubas threatens all other myth you write up there

The worship of olokun and orunmila are of edo origin which was brought to the yorubas by benin military expansion

Stop spreading lies before you get disgraced again... cheesy

1 Like

Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by TheMomentumTv(m): 6:13am On May 27, 2021
We never can tell, he may have a prove to present.
Balogunodua:

Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by TheMomentumTv(m): 6:16am On May 27, 2021
Wow.... Thanks for sharing your thought on this.

gregyboy:

the the oba emerged greater than the olokun

Thats why the oba is called the king of the sea and the king of the land
Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by TheMomentumTv(m): 6:19am On May 27, 2021
I sincerely appreciate your effort in taking steps ahead to shed more light...
I can see the image now, the question is... Did the Edo people believe there is any benefit 'Olokun'/Aje(his said daughter) can offer the people of Edo?
gregyboy:

Olokun in benin mean

The centre of the sea..

Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by gregyboy(m): 7:52am On May 27, 2021
TheMomentumTv:
I sincerely appreciate your effort in taking steps ahead to shed more light...
I can see the image now, the question is... Did the Edo people believe there is any benefit 'Olokun'/Aje(his said daughter) can offer the people of Edo?

The olokun like the benins believes is the king of the sea he had his mystical powers, despite the truce he had with the king of the land the oba of benin, he was constantly sort after by the people from land, and they worshiped him inreturn to grant their wish

Mostly from women who seek children olokun was known to be sending his children to land through women who needed children

This made the children after being born on land to start worshiping their father, the oba couldn't stop this encourachment

An oba of benin once sort the olokun secretly for a male child when the child was born he began being posssed by the olokun spirit which was prince ewakpe... And at then there was still much disparities between olokun and the oba of benin, it was a taboo for an oba who is known to be heavenly Supreme to be possessed by a defeated king of the sea, which made the benins revolt against ewakpe being a king as they saw him as devinely weak this led to the benin civil war of 1500
Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by Olu317(m): 8:38am On May 27, 2021
TheMomentumTv, with genuine interest, do Iposit tat you do not need to be pushed towards tearing this purpose of this thread. Concentrate, else this thread will become olokun thread or gregyboy "gallivanting " over irrelevance on egocentrism and supremacy .

Cheers
Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by gregyboy(m): 8:58am On May 27, 2021
Olu317:
TheMomentumTv, with genuine interest, do Iposit tat you do not need to be pushed towards tearing this purpose of this thread. Concentrate, else this thread will become olokun thread or gregyboy "gallivanting " over irrelevance on egocentrism and supremacy .

Cheers

Lol Tao11 has beaten you to submittion you're are now using her slangs cheers

I have nothing against this thread only that he included olokun orunmila as a yoruba deity which i had to quickly correct otherwise

I have gone length to prove this two deities are of edo origin and have their life stories in benin

1 Like

Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by Olu317(m): 9:59am On May 27, 2021
gregyboy:

I have nothing against this thread only that he included olokun orunmila as a yoruba deity which i had to quickly correct otherwise

I have gone length to prove this two deities are of edo origin and have their life stories in benin
Oh I see grin.For this concerned information , thanks, but Just dont derail this thread.
Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by TAO11(f): 10:47am On May 27, 2021
gregyboy:
Okay! cool

I have nothing against this thread only that he included olokun, [and] orunmila as a yoruba deity which i had to quickly correct otherwise

LMAO! cheesy

(1) So, you’re saying that the identity “Abdullahi” may perhaps also have originated from the Edos (aka. Binis) despite the word being meaningless in Edo (aka. Bini) language?? undecided Isn’t God wonderful? grin

(2) Anyways, the two attachments below contain (as highlighted) the confession of the authoritative Bini-English lexicon, viz. “A Concise Dictionary of the Bini Language of Southern Nigeria,” on the origin of these deities.

These attachments show clearly that these two deities (Olokun and Orunmila) were loaned into the ‘Edo (aka. Bini) pantheon’ from the Yoruba pantheon.

Refer particularly to the notation “cf. Yor.” as has been underlined in the attachments below.

Cheers!

Cc: nisai, rhektor babtoundey, gomojam, ideadoctor, Balogunodua, macof.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by gregyboy(m): 10:51am On May 27, 2021
TAO11:
Wonderful! cool

LMAO! cheesy

(1) So, you’re saying that “Abdullahi” too may perhaps be an Edo (aka. Bini) name despite being meaningless in Edo (aka Bini) language?? undecided Isn’t God wonderful? grin

(2) Anyways, the attachments below shows contains the testimony of the authoritative Bini-English lexicon, viz. “A Concise Dictionary of the Bini Language of Southern Nigeria”.

This attachment shows clearly that the deities Olokun and Orunmila both found their way into the religious life of Edos (aka. Binis) from their Yoruba masters.

Cheers!

Cc: nisai, rhektor babtoundey, Balogunodua, gomojam, ideadoctor

You make me laugh if i see something worthy to reply i would you made no sense there

Youre becoming boring this days
Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by TAO11(f): 11:04am On May 27, 2021
gregyboy:
[s]You make me laugh if i see something worthy to reply i would you made no sense there
Youre becoming boring this days[/s]
Okay! cheesy

Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by TheMomentumTv(m): 1:41pm On May 27, 2021
If I may say, I'm probably the real learner here... cheesy I will still be sharing the second info I got about Esuodara (known as 'devil' to Christian or Muslims ), and I hope this 'creature' won't be claimed by any tribe. (Just what I think, lol)
TAO11:
Okay! cool

LMAO! cheesy

(1) So, you’re saying that the identity “Abdullahi” may perhaps also have originated from the Edos (aka. Binis) despite the word being meaningless in Edo (aka. Bini) language?? undecided Isn’t God wonderful? grin

(2) Anyways, the two attachments below contain (as highlighted) the testimony of the authoritative Bini-English lexicon, viz. “A Concise Dictionary of the Bini Language of Southern Nigeria,” on the origin of these deities.

These attachments show clearly that these two deities (Olokun and Orunmila) were loaned into the ‘Edo (aka. Bini) pantheon’ from the Yoruba pantheon.

Cheers!

Cc: nisai, rhektor babtoundey, gomojam, ideadoctor, Balogunodua, macof.
Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by TAO11(f): 4:30pm On May 27, 2021
TheMomentumTv:
If I may say, I'm probably the real learner here... cheesy I will still be sharing the second info I got about Esuodara (known as 'devil' to Christian or Muslims ), and I hope this 'creature' won't be claimed by any tribe. (Just what I think, lol)
The hijackers probably won’t claim it.

But, who knows? One can’t be too sure nowadays.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by babtoundey(m): 9:27pm On May 27, 2021
Aje - centre
okun -sea. Then, Olokun equals the centre of the sea. Abunu omo! If olokun isthe centre of the sea,what is the edge of the sea called.

His Edo dictionary gives the exact Yoruba meaning while the idiot was telling useless story.

Gregboy, the fight oba and olokun fought, was it a kind of mortal combat, Jetli or Jackie Chan version?

1 Like

Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by TheMomentumTv(m): 12:17pm On May 28, 2021
Esu Odara

To see the full details on this, you can read more about who Esu Odara is in Yoruba culture For those who cannot open the link, I will highlight the point as broad as I can to still give detailed information.

Let's start with what was a shock... "Esu Odara is not devil, it's in fact an intermediary between man and God." Abiodun, the same source of the last discussion on history and importance of Aje Olokun. That was shocking to me because I saw Esu, (the devil) playing opposite side with God, but this man told me he's a great negotiator with God, on behalf of men.

In details now;
1. Esu in the Bible and Quran is not the same esu that the traditional worshipers pray to, or consult for anything.
2. All traditional worshipers worship esu. This is against the general knowledge that only the men and women in black worship esu.
3. Every traditional worshiper who do rituals to communicate the Eledumare (God), make all requests through esu, because that's the fastest and most reliable channel.
4. Esu is not the bad guy people think he is. In fact, he's the closest to God among all angels.
5. His favorite is Orunmila. Writing in point won't make it flow well... So, below is a copy and paste of the example of how Esu and Orunmila became so closed.
A good example of how esu is known to be good from ifa's perspective can be found in the consultation made by Orunmila for him to know what to do for things to work out well for him without evil coming his ways, he was told to worship and do the necessary for esu. Odu ifa-“ogundakete”

Ogundakete o duro loju popo,
O sowo ajada are are, adifa fun Orunmila
Baba fi esu odara, o fi so ibode”

This quote describes how Orunmila used Esu to guide his gate for goods only to come into him and not any form of disaster by giving him amounts of money. He gave Esu 40 coins to send away all evils, and 120 coins to allow all blessings in. Esu did this by blocking entrance for death, poverty and failure, while he opened door for all blessings to Orunmila.
Orunmila was surprised and said to esu “Osa to’tori ogoji ti o ba onan je, ti owa to’ri ogofa tun onan se” (a deity who because of 40 coins destroyed the road, and for 120 coins make the road a pleasant one). That is one good of esu.

6. The second example was how Orunmila pretended dead, only esu among others stood by him.

At this point, I took a pause and asked him how come most people see esu as the cause of all 'evils'... He gave an example I will also paste for the sake of those who cannot open the link on full gist about Esu odara as the intermediary between Man and God.

Below is one good side of Esu. Odu-Ifa "ogbefun"

“Oro tere eyinkule aguwa,
Lodifa fun aguwa abufu amin”

Interpretation; Agunwa and Amin are friends who were in abject poverty, they went for ifa consultation. They were told to go and worship Esu by going to him with 10 rats. They turned it down as they considered it too easy to solve their level of extreme poverty.

One of them thought about it and went to the other that they should go and try it. His friend turned him down as he still can’t believe how 10 rats would liberate him. He went to the herbalist alone to get the instruction and do the needful.

Instruction on how to worship esu was to go to esu for 10 days. A day with a rat to tell esu whatever he is in need of. He was warned never to give esu more than one rat in a day. He did this for 10 days and he got so rich.

Amin heard about his riches and was disappointed that Agunwa did not carry him along. He told him it’s the same process he denied. Hearing this, he was so moved and went to get the 10 rats without going to the herbalist at all. He got to esu and gave him 10 rats in a day; esu gave him money truly as money was falling upon him till he was dead. “Now, how is esu wicked?”

This actually looks like drama, but that is one thing with Ifa, they also have their stories as Christians (in the Bible) and Muslims (in the Quran) have theirs.

I think over my third gist, and I think it may not be necessary as it seems to be a common fact people know. I only dig a little further to see if I can know more. But if anyone still cares to know, you can check out Tour and Culture website, for Alarina in Yoruba Culture

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by Olu317(m): 5:05pm On May 28, 2021
TheMomentumTv:
Esu Odara

To see the full details on this, you can read more about who Esu Odara is in Yoruba culture For those who cannot open the link, I will highlight the point as broad as I can to still give detailed information.

Let's start with what was a shock... "Esu Odara is not devil, it's in fact an intermediary between man and God." Abiodun, the same source of the last discussion on history and importance of Aje Olokun. That was shocking to me because I saw Esu, (the devil) playing opposite side with God, but this man told me he's a great negotiator with God, on behalf of men.

In details now;
1. Esu in the Bible and Quran is not the same esu that the traditional worshipers pray to, or consult for anything.
2. All traditional worshipers worship esu. This is against the general knowledge that only the men and women in black worship esu.
3. Every traditional worshiper who do rituals to communicate the Eledumare (God), make all requests through esu, because that's the fastest and most reliable channel.
4. Esu is not the bad guy people think he is. In fact, he's the closest to God among all angels.
5. His favorite is Orunmila. Writing in point won't make it flow well... So, below is a copy and paste of the example of how Esu and Orunmila became so closed.
A good example of how esu is known to be good from ifa's perspective can be found in the consultation made by Orunmila for him to know what to do for things to work out well for him without evil coming his ways, he was told to worship and do the necessary for esu. Odu ifa-“ogundakete”

Ogundakete o duro loju popo,
O sowo ajada are are, adifa fun Orunmila
Baba fi esu odara, o fi so ibode”

This quote describes how Orunmila used Esu to guide his gate for goods only to come into him and not any form of disaster by giving him amounts of money. He gave Esu 40 coins to send away all evils, and 120 coins to allow all blessings in. Esu did this by blocking entrance for death, poverty and failure, while he opened door for all blessings to Orunmila.
Orunmila was surprised and said to esu “Osa to’tori ogoji ti o ba onan je, ti owa to’ri ogofa tun onan se” (a deity who because of 40 coins destroyed the road, and for 120 coins make the road a pleasant one). That is one good of esu.

6. The second example was how Orunmila pretended dead, only esu among others stood by him.

At this point, I took a pause and asked him how come most people see esu as the cause of all 'evils'... He gave an example I will also paste for the sake of those who cannot open the link on full gist about Esu odara as the intermediary between Man and God.

Below is one good side of Esu. Odu-Ifa "ogbefun"

“Oro tere eyinkule aguwa,
Lodifa fun aguwa abufu amin”

Interpretation; Agunwa and Amin are friends who were in abject poverty, they went for ifa consultation. They were told to go and worship Esu by going to him with 10 rats. They turned it down as they considered it too easy to solve their level of extreme poverty.

One of them thought about it and went to the other that they should go and try it. His friend turned him down as he still can’t believe how 10 rats would liberate him. He went to the herbalist alone to get the instruction and do the needful.

Instruction on how to worship esu was to go to esu for 10 days. A day with a rat to tell esu whatever he is in need of. He was warned never to give esu more than one rat in a day. He did this for 10 days and he got so rich.

Amin heard about his riches and was disappointed that Agunwa did not carry him along. He told him it’s the same process he denied. Hearing this, he was so moved and went to get the 10 rats without going to the herbalist at all. He got to esu and gave him 10 rats in a day; esu gave him money truly as money was falling upon him till he was dead. “Now, how is esu wicked?”

This actually looks like drama, but that is one thing with Ifa, they also have their stories as Christians (in the Bible) and Muslims (in the Quran) have theirs.

I think over my third gist, and I think it may not be necessary as it seems to be a common fact people know. I only dig a little further to see if I can know more. But if anyone still cares to know, I will share. And that is about "Alarina in Yoruba land"

Thank you.
Is Esu Obara or Esu Odara ? Nothing less nothing more. Just asking for people learning. Thanks
Re: Interesting Benefits of Aje Olokun and Esu Odara in Yoruba Culture by TheMomentumTv(m): 6:44pm On May 28, 2021
It's Esu Odara. As far as I know...
Olu317:
Is Esu Obara or Esu Odara ? Nothing less nothing more. Just asking for people learning. Thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

Laarin Ooni Ife Ati Alaafin Oyo, Ija Sese Bere Ni O / 5 Reasons Why Racism Will Never Stop / No Benin Oba Was Buried In Lle-ife – Esogban Of Benin, Edebiri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.