Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,771 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:14 PM

NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG - NYSC (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG (14708 Views)

Should NYSC Not Be Scrapped? / We Sent You To Serve Not To Do Evangelism, NYSC DG Warns Corps Members / FG Set To Increase Allowance Of Corpers - NYSC DG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by hush15: 7:20pm On May 26, 2021
Kwanza:

https://www.thecable.ng/nysc-not-a-waste-of-time-says-dg

What was he suppose to say before? How will he chop? How will he be relevant in the scheme of things...

After valentine's day, the second cause of low numbers of virgin in this country is NYSC. It's an orgy parade for three weeks.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Nobody: 7:20pm On May 26, 2021
Yea.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Lawalemi(m): 7:21pm On May 26, 2021
I throughly enjoyed my NYSC experience.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by NgwaManNaaija4L: 7:21pm On May 26, 2021
Keep kwayet, my wife won't serve.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Nobody: 7:22pm On May 26, 2021
De
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by dola139: 7:23pm On May 26, 2021
Waste of time
Shiiiiit
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Nobody: 7:23pm On May 26, 2021
Lazynigerian1:
Anybody saying NYSC is a waste of time should also find the doctors, nurses, and teachers that would run hospitals and schools in the rural areas....
Because if NYSC goes, there has to be a replacement, because people don't want to live in the village.

normally people are supposed to be living in villages, nigeria is so furcked up and compliated that solving one provlem feels like pouring a droplet of water in ocean. the problems are soo intertwined that fixing one would nean alot of other "unrelated" issues need to be fixed otherwise, the part you fixed up is useless. transportation, security, conducive enviroment, good salary comes to mind.

2 Likes

Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by stanliwise(m): 7:23pm On May 26, 2021
Robisky001:
NYSC is not a waste of time but it should be rebranded to fit in varieties of vocational training that will serve as a springboard at the end of the service year.
In which economy?
My own concern is the poor camp facilities, diluted SAED program and small peanuts they call food, bad clothes for Corp member and poor accommodations. Mismanagement in the NYSC program is too much
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Maj196(m): 7:24pm On May 26, 2021
I enjoyed it shaa. But DG no won lose him job grin
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by hush15: 7:26pm On May 26, 2021
Lazynigerian1:
Anybody saying NYSC is a waste of time should also find the doctors, nurses, and teachers that would run hospitals and schools in the rural areas....
Because if NYSC goes, there has to be a replacement, because people don't want to live in the village.

I beg to differ. Before NYSC, doctors and nurses existed in those rural areas. I even see it as an entrepreneurial opportunity or giving back to your area if you are the philanthropy type
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by hush15: 7:28pm On May 26, 2021
BF69BF:
Actually it's not, a lot of sh!t goes down during service. If you know your way, you'll enjoy the benefits of NYSC during and even years after service.

I earned my first money through investment during NYSC, had a swell of service. If not for the stup!d ignoramuses we've for leaders, NYSC would have been upgraded to better the lives of those who pass through the program.

That's the point. It doesn't live to its purpose.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Map1(m): 7:32pm On May 26, 2021
Either you accept it as a waste of time or not let me open your blindness to this the more we continue with it the more there will be high rate of unemployment because those companies the likes of school, Bankings, local government and so on will depend on corper on every 4months and there wouldn't be any reason for them to employ.so is better if the government have a serious plan let them scrap it, give those who studied science and engineering automatic job and give grant to those who studied management course and be direct to Agriculture with proper monitoring and see how level of unemployment rate and crime rate will reduce.kikikiiiiiii

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by tunize(m): 7:34pm On May 26, 2021
Simplyleo:
I disagree with the DG.

The damn NYSC should be scrapped and the money be invested in other useful things.

Na the useless NYSC dey carry some people go another state and on completion, refuse to go back to their useless states.

Lagos, Ogun, Kano and Kaduna are dominated by people from other places and in their own states they come from, you pay for even the air you breath and therefore, nobody stays back there. 

You will be seeing prospective Corp members from places like Lagos, Ogun, Kano and Kaduna attempting to work out ways of serving in their states but same cannot be said of some backward villages. 

If the scheme should continue, it should modified such that corp members will be serving in their states. Enough of these migrations. undecided
If Corp members are to serve in their states, then there would be no need for the scheme to continue. Cos the relevance of the scheme is now irrelevant the issue should be the country should be safe for everyone to co-exist guess this is one of the shortcomings of the scheme insecurity
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Nobody: 7:35pm On May 26, 2021
hush15:

I beg to differ. Before NYSC, doctors and nurses existed in those rural areas. I even see it as an entrepreneurial opportunity or giving back to your area if you are the philanthropy type

They did not, and you know it.

(I work in healthcare...and have been in rural and urban areas. Rural areas lack medics severely, and scrapping NYSC would make things worse)
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by chaloskyx: 7:36pm On May 26, 2021
OGA ITS A WASTE OF TIME THE DG ONLY SUPPORT ITS EXISTENCE JUST LIKE OUR POLITICIANS SUPPORT THE 1999 CONSTITUTION AND ITS STATUS QUO BECAUSE IT SUITS THEM TO LOOT AND FILL THEIR POCKETS
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Nobody: 7:36pm On May 26, 2021
djsjxjfjdisjdjb:

normally people are supposed to be living in villages, nigeria is so furcked up and compliated that solving one provlem feels like pouring a droplet of water in ocean. the problems are soo intertwined that fixing one would nean alot of other "unrelated" issues need to be fixed otherwise, the part you fixed up is useless. transportation, security, conducive enviroment, good salary comes to mind.

So scrapping NYSC would fix all those problems?

Okay.

Many of you guys calling for the scrap of NYSC...won't go back to your village to fill the professions gap left.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by khadaffi(m): 7:37pm On May 26, 2021
Kandeed:
NYSC is really not a waste of time, there have been recount of how the program has made some folks save and by the end they got some amount(tho not much) to start smtin probably a petty business and on the long run has established lotta people, so many met their destiny helpers thr this program, so many discovered their self, some the love of their lives, some made a tremendious connection for life thr this same program.

To me scrapping it shows a level of foolishness among these law makers. The only reason they want to scrap it is cuz they're paying corpers and want to cut it short nothing more. Useless people sad

I'm surprised people don't know the bolded is the reason they want it scrapped. Any other reason they're giving is just to give the dog a bad name.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by leefino(m): 7:40pm On May 26, 2021
They better keep quite o, let me go for my service before them spoil things for we[color=#000099][/color]
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by LikeAking: 7:41pm On May 26, 2021
Na wate of time.

3 week of orientation by illitrate Army men.

They teach corpers usless stuffs like - how to wear condom - Imagine.

Na 100% waste.

Either they reduce the number of months or abolish it.

Or make it non mandatory.

Rubissshhhhhhhhhhhh.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by khadaffi(m): 7:41pm On May 26, 2021
AtikuIsSure:
DG's daily bread

Says who? The DG is already rich, NYSC or no NYSC. The guy is a Brigadier general in the army. He has nothing to loose, if they scrap NYSC today, the man will be posted to another organisation or sector that might even be more profitable than where he currently is.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Charmingpet: 7:42pm On May 26, 2021
Kandeed:
NYSC is really not a waste of time, there have been recount of how the program has made some folks save and by the end they got some amount(tho not much) to start smtin probably a petty business and on the long run has established lotta people, so many met their destiny helpers thr this program, so many discovered their self, some the love of their lives, some made a tremendious connection for life thr this same program. Some of the lawmakers passed through the scheme too. I wonder y they still want to scrap it

To me scrapping it shows a level of foolishness among these law makers. The only reason they want to scrap it is cuz they're paying corpers and want to cut it short nothing more. Useless people sad
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Akanaz(m): 7:44pm On May 26, 2021
[quote author=Simplyleo post=102089142]

If you believe this whole hullabaloo about scrapping NYSC is because Nigeria is broke, you've been deceived!

If that is the case, why can't this same national Assembly channel same energy into cutting the cost of governance, starting from reduction in their own salary?

Nysc is the only benefit we all enjoy from the government as citizens. Don't let anyone deceive you, nysc shouldn't be scrapped!
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by LikeAking: 7:44pm On May 26, 2021
Lazynigerian1:

They did not, and you know it.

(I work in healthcare...and have been in rural and urban areas. Rural areas lack medics severely, and scrapping NYSC would make things worse)

Nysc guys are inexperined, govt should used exp medics for this job.

Nysc is also one of the reason why we have very higH unemployment rate. - FYI

Companies prefer employing corpers cos they are cheap.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Nobody: 7:44pm On May 26, 2021
kenzysmith:
Doing my NYSc I Bleep lots of women for ife has I dem see me with my uniform dem dey postrate for me. I dey bang diffrent pussies on a daily basis na them dey give food steady the day I leave ice non of them no promise all marriage
Mmmmmmmm
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Charmingpet: 7:45pm On May 26, 2021
Maj196:
I enjoyed it shaa. But DG no won lose him job grin
how he go lose job, they will post to elsewhere. The place might be better
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Lekison(m): 7:47pm On May 26, 2021
It's a fucking waste of time.....very useless system.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by freeman67: 7:47pm On May 26, 2021
Yes there is need to restructure some things to suit the present situation of the country. That said, I am in agreement that the scheme shouldn't be scrapped for so many reasons. Before I proceed, I will say that is easier for those that did not experience it or a few that did but didn't have a favourable experience while at it to call for it scrap. However, they should not do that without looking at the gains over the years. It may not have have eradicated disunity as envisaged, that I will is due not other external factor beyond the schemes control.

Many rural communities in Nigeria either in the North, East or South; have the NYSC as their major source of recruiting teachers
both for public or private schools. They have few permanent teachers that most time are exhausted with work load and as such are not able to go round the classes. Guess what would be the fate of those student if there were no "Corpers".

The NYSC as a scheme has not only helped some young minds in some of those communities to dream but also helped them with the determination of achieving those dreams of becoming a "Corper" becoming whatever they desire as they saw in their "Corper". Many children in some of these rural communities developed some ambitions or even get serious with their studies because they want to be like Corper A or because they want to put on that NYSC Uniform.

Lots of graduates from Nigeria universities come out very empty and half baked. If you doubt this, a trip to the orientation camp "where Corpers in the camp who are believed to be graduates begs soldiers that are believed to be Secondary Sch Leavers to help them write application for pass" will open your eyes. NYSC has helped to shape up some of them, with teachings on the go and corrections from real life experiences before their search for Jobs.

So many Nigerian youths/students apart from those whose parents are in the Military, Security and Federal Government agencies have not/do not travel far from their vicinities. Hence it is very easy for people that have not even gotten any experience about other parts of the country or those with hidden agendas to bamboozle them with concocted lies and negative personal opinions opinions sometimes. NYSC with its mandatory status have corrected lots of these misconceptions and negativities peddled around by opening the eyes of these youths as they go out to serve.

Federal Government Institutions (colleges, monotecnics, polytechnics and universities) are created for similar purpose, uniting Nigerians but the major avenue that Nigerians of all tribes, from all parts; states, schools; state schools, federal schools and even Nigerians that studied abroad, rich or poor e.t.c gather together in the name of Nigeria is through the NYSC scheme.

Also, the NYSC monthly "allowee" as it is called may seem meagre. However, a lot of people that hitherto would not have had what to survive on after school, do not only survive on it but also garner savings of which after service is either used as capital to begin business with or funds to sustain themselves in the labour market before landing a job.

In Nigeria today, both public and private job openings require experiences and recommendations /reference of which applicants may not have had any opportunity or chance at. NYSC has not only opened the capabilities of many graduates/intending applicants to referees and employers but have in some cases offered them the required experience to kick start the job.

There are enough more to good things to say about the NYSC like opening a "Corpers" eyes to certain businesses or ways of doing such businesses that may not have existed the his/or previous environment and all that. And provision of nationalist ad-hoc staff for national duties like conducting of elections e.t.c

It is my belief therefore that, the NYSC is still very practicable and will continue to be for a very long time if allowed and restructured. However, the general insecurity in the country has not helped matters when it concerns the NYSC and all other aspect of the society in general. This has caused fear in the minds of many parents and intended Corpers alike. It is thus very pertinent to restructure the scheme to suit the present security situation of the country.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by vikgreen01(m): 7:47pm On May 26, 2021
cosse:
BULLSHIT.NYSC IS A COMPLETE WASTE OF ONE YEAR.WE SHOULD HIT THE GROUND RUNNING AFTER GRADUATION..NOT MAKE A FOOL OF OURSELVES ,TEACHING IN A RETROGRESSIVE NOTHERN SCHOOL ON THE ALTAR OF A PALTRY 30K...EVEN THE DG KNOWS BUT WETIN UNA EXPECT MAKE E TALK..THE OLD MAN CANNOT CAMPAIGN AGAINST HIS STOMACH OF COURSE................BUT DEEP DOWN IN HIS MIND, E KNOWS THE SCHEME IS A USELESS CONTRAPTION THAT HAS LOST ITS INITIAL PURPOSE.....

A SENSIBLE GOVERNMENT WOULD AV AT LEAST SUSPENDED IT FOR NOW IN LIGHT OF THE SECURITY ISSUES IN NOTHERN NIGERIA.......BUT ALAS!!!!!...DG MUST CHOP NA......NYSC UNIFORM CONTRACTORS, AS WELL AS SAEED CHARLATTANS MUST ENJOY 2021 NATIONAL CAKE...

Abeg dose that commented above me...which network una dey use...as in am shocked at una speed ...indeed joblessness in a menace

Chai bro u touched all the points
The stupid nysc differed the opportunity I saw Nd the certificate is required for me to tender now I’m stucked waiting to shoot my shot again

1 Like

Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Nobody: 7:47pm On May 26, 2021
LikeAking:

Nysc guys are inexperined, govt should used exp medics for this job.

Nysc is also one of the reason why we have very higH unemployment rate. - FYI

Companies prefer employing corpers cos they are cheap.

That's the problem...we don't have enough experienced medics.(I work in healthcare, remember?)..and most of our few experienced medics prefer to work in the urban areas...not rural areas.

And NYSC is not the reason why we have high unempolyment...the fact that we import biscuits that we can make at home instead of making them and exporting them is why we have high unemployment...in addition to the fact that most people prefer to be importers rather than exporters of manufactured goods.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by NextBuhari: 7:51pm On May 26, 2021
Establish Mega Farms in each state where Corps members will be posted to during the service year.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Trustedpronet: 7:51pm On May 26, 2021
It is not NYSC that is the problem, the problem is amount of fund allotted to it that is the problem. The second problem is funlani herdsmen, kidnappers and secessionists in the country.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Unvaccinated Corps Members Barred From NYSC Camps / NYSC FLASHBACK( Those Days) / NYSC Bans Unauthorized Journeys By Corps Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.