Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:03 AM

NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG - NYSC (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG (14687 Views)

Should NYSC Not Be Scrapped? / We Sent You To Serve Not To Do Evangelism, NYSC DG Warns Corps Members / FG Set To Increase Allowance Of Corpers - NYSC DG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Nobody: 9:01pm On May 26, 2021
Cmanforall:

Your view though.

But if indigenous teachers/doctors are running from their State-owned schools/hospitals, why should young graduates suffer from the State's incompetence.

If employed staff don't want to work in rural areas, then the state should make the salaries of those working there to be higher with more benefits. Or they fi d other means, not using young graduates

Which leads to states increasing taxes....especially as most states have poor IGR. (Nigeria's overall tax to gdp is 6.1%, which is less than Niger who is at 15% and Ghana who is 23%. At state level...most states fall between 1-3 %)

Plus, even then, people don't want to work in rural areas. Rural areas, even in developed countries have less modern facilities. compared to urban areas. Schools are not as good as urban areas, and so on....so with 'high salaries' people might not want to go rural.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Cmanforall: 9:06pm On May 26, 2021
Lazynigerian1:

Which leads to states increasing taxes....especially as most states have poor IGR. (Nigeria's overall tax to gdp is 6.1%, which is less than Niger who is at 15% and Ghana who is 23%. At state level...most states fall between 1-3 %)

Plus, even then, people don't want to work in rural areas. Rural areas, even in developed countries have less modern facilities. compared to urban areas. Schools are not as good as urban areas, and so on....so with 'high salaries' people might not want to go rural.

What do you mean by this?
What makes a school good in your opinion?

With well-qualified teachers, students in rural areas can excel, even more than those in urban cities.
I personally know products of community schools that did excellently well in Uni, some also got scholarships abroad.

So what again do you mean by the bolded?
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by wpadmin: 9:09pm On May 26, 2021
Olatunji1929:
Those of you shouting that it should be banned, if you know how many people that has gotten job through this nysc you won't be typing all these trash,my bro was retained where he went to serve and he has been working there since 2012 getting good salary and living fine and im very sure some of you that want it to be scrapped get your job through this nysc,a lot of people that know nobody or have any connections have gotten job where they were posted to and still working there till today,I know most students that started POS business from their nysc saving and they are managing that pending the time when they will get a good job,some people had their first working experience through nysc though it may need reformation but not total ban because nysc may be useless to you but its not useless to 75% of those undergraduates

How many percentage of people get Jobs through NYSC?

I bet you it’s less than 10%

You also think it’s a nice thing for someone to go to school for about five years, do NYSC for one year only to get money to start a POS business.

Bros. There’s more to this life.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by wpadmin: 9:12pm On May 26, 2021
Cmanforall:

With well-qualified teachers, students in rural areas can excel, even more than those in urban cities.
I personally know products of community schools that did excellently well in Uni, some also got scholarships abroad.

How many well qualified teacher that know their worth will teach in rural areas?

For 18-30k per month?

1 Like

Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Nobody: 9:14pm On May 26, 2021
Cmanforall:

1.School exists to give you a skeleton. What else you put on the skeleton is up to you. That's my attitude to school

2.Let's not pretend. I know products of village schools who have done well too...and I also been in village schools that lack good teachers and good students
(During my NYSC...I also read a syndicated article written by one Kofo Bello-Osagie who used to write for the Nation. Her experiences as an NYSC teacher in a village were very instructive).
Some time ago a governor of a Northern state begged for 16000 teachers...any one.

Modified

Nigerian education is faced with many challenges and among them is the shortfall of academic staff. In a report published by Punch Newspaper in May 2019, 28 states in Nigeria have not employed teachers in primary school since 2015 and some of these states are owing teachers months of unpaid salaries. In the National Policy on Education; for effective learning, the teacher-pupil ratio should be 1:35, it is disheartening to say Nigeria would need at least 250,000 additional teachers to achieve this recommended ratio because in some rural communities there are as low as 3 teachers in a school.

The major problem of the shortage of teachers in primary school, especially public ones, is that of dissatisfied working conditions. For example, some teachers are owed several months of salaries despite being paid as low as N12,000 – N15,000 monthly, i.e. less than $50. Often times the Nigerian Union of Teachers (NUT) goes on strike because they have not to be paid salaries for doing such a demanding job. Most of them are made to handle numerous subjects and non-academic activities than their counterparts in private schools. Many public primary schools, both in rural communities and urban centres, are depending on the funds by Parent-Teacher Associations (PTAs), Councils, and Community-based Organizations to pay their teachers. When the welfare of teachers is not put into consideration they cannot give their best.

See the problem...and it is that gap NYSC helps fill.

Scrap it, and a bad problem becomes worse.

SAUCE OF ABOVE QUOTE
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by sapientia(m): 9:15pm On May 26, 2021
Imagine an appointed clown
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Mozhac(m): 9:18pm On May 26, 2021
I still say that NYSC is a waste of time and most time some people lost their lives in the process. And immediately one year service is gone government is completely done with you. That is when you understand that there is suffer in this country.

In my opinion NYSC should be converted to one year skill acquisition programme for graduates. That way you can have time to learn something that can help you secure better jobs. You can't make everyone teachers some are born teachers with so much passion for it while some are not. Government should scrap it, if they can't modify it. Things are evolving this is 21st century.

Kwanza:

https://www.thecable.ng/nysc-not-a-waste-of-time-says-dg

1 Like

Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Abiodunspectre(m): 9:19pm On May 26, 2021
The scheme is actually not a waste of time.
I enjoyed every bit of NYSC memories.
I remember how my Oraimo 20,000 Powerbank can take me 4 days without having to pay those guys at the Mami market to recharge it.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Ghast12: 9:19pm On May 26, 2021
Really
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by emeijeh(m): 10:05pm On May 26, 2021
BruncleZuma:
Baba if somebody is not paying and somebody is not cashing out, e go don scrap since.

You remember when the state coordinator come yan say dem dey feed us with 15k per person?
You still even remember.
Those things don commot for my head o.
I only remember say M.I. Tsigha disgraced the state coordinator when the former came to Umunya.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by emeijeh(m): 10:06pm On May 26, 2021
Abiodunspectre:
The scheme is actually not a waste of time.
I enjoyed every bit of NYSC memories.
I remember how my Oraimo 20,000 Powerbank can take me 4 days without having to pay those guys at the Mami market to recharge it.
And on the fifth day nko?
Na 21 days be orientation o grin
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by tundeport(m): 10:24pm On May 26, 2021
That's the camp they disflower my girlfriend I wanted to marry,i have to leave the girls...pls scrap it pls
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by hush15: 10:25pm On May 26, 2021
BF69BF:

You make no sense, read again.

I don't see any reason for the insult.... it's obvious you lack the decorum for a decent and civil discussion.

Bye
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by armadeo(m): 10:26pm On May 26, 2021
Farotimi72:
The baba Loves his Job �

And the juices that flow with it.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by armadeo(m): 10:31pm On May 26, 2021
Lazynigerian1:

Good, then don;t complain if your relation in the village falls sick and there is no doctor, or the child in the village cannot get good education because there aren't enough teachers

Besides, I have spent a large part of my working life working in the rural areas, so what's the grumbling about.

Life isn't always about what you want.

I disagree. Life should be about what you want and not what you get. IMO.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by armadeo(m): 10:35pm On May 26, 2021
Lazynigerian1:

Guy if the money is good people will go. They do week in weekend out kind of life.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by armadeo(m): 10:36pm On May 26, 2021
wpadmin:

How many percentage of people get Jobs through NYSC?

I bet you it’s less than 10%

You also think it’s a nice thing for someone to go to school for about five years, do NYSC for one year only to get money to start a POS business.

Bros. There’s more to this life.

Lol
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by yemex04(m): 10:36pm On May 26, 2021
DrFunmisticGlow:
No it isn't.

It's sheer exploitation and the brain washing starts from orientation camp.

I can tell you categorically that my NYSC period was one of the most memorable times of my life! Trust me on this bro. It obviously set for me the foundation for a highly progressive future.. I met people of influence both among the corps members & within the community.. I am doing well right now Nysc launched me into greatness..

But like I said, You can make NYSC period whatever it is you want it for you, as for me, I chose to make the best use of that time, impacting the community and also got myself opened up to new discoveries!! NYSC provided the platform for me to discover new things about myself.. Honestly those that wasted that time won't understand.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Dagenius53: 10:41pm On May 26, 2021
I wish people know how NYSC really helped my life, they wouldn't have been supporting it to be scrapped.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by olaayodele(m): 10:53pm On May 26, 2021
temitope27:
Oga na waste of time

Haba! I no blame the DG o. I NYSC is scrapped, his source of income will be scrapped.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Cmanforall: 11:12pm On May 26, 2021
wpadmin:

How many well qualified teacher that know their worth will teach in rural areas?

For 18-30k per month?
That was why I suggested increasing the benefits of rural teachers.
For ex, a rural teacher earning as high as a University lecturer (I suppose the pay is higher).
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by careidon: 11:30pm On May 26, 2021
Prophetdoctor:
A lot of people have benefited from this scheme. Although, I have ugly stories I would tell about about people that I know who have suffered or lost their destinies through this scheme, but it's mostly their fault.

NYSC is not a waste of time. Many have met their destiny helpers at their PPA. My sister is happily married to a Yoruba man she met at Ogun State during her NYSC days. The husband is now working as a Lab. scientist at UI, Ibadan. My father through the help of God did his NYSC at CBN. He played his cards well. He was retained after his program. He worked and retired there as a Executive. Our last born is currently doing his NYSC at MINT. We are hoping they will retain him next year.

The advantages outweigh the disadvantages. NYSC should not be scrapped.

@bolded.
Pls don't use such words against the unlucky others.
1. I'd ask the rep/senator in favour, how many of the dead corpers' family he personally has visited & what was done for/to them (I rem those slaughtered during elections riot especially)
2. From your "knowing how to play games" narrative; how many of these reps/senators allow their wards/children go to where posted without "influencing" postings or changes?
3. What's being done to stop corruption & contract racquet in the service scheme?
4. If we are not scrapping, what do we infuse as a nation into scheme?
5. What real data do we have of this scheme taking so much funds = kits, feeding, transport, allawee, staff salary, their pensions, office maintenance etc? How many got jobs or are retained? How many got married thru it?
Can we not do skills acquisition and give 500k to each to go start up without looking for jobs (with incentive to partner with others to start up biz)

Can this same rep/senator travel unguarded to any part of this country like he expects others children?

We need to go back to a Nigeria where you don't have to influence anything and there's equal, fair and just opportunities, where ALL respects the postings; where there's security; where host communities truly welcome as in the past; where employers of labour are not just taking advantage of available cheap labour... else there's truly weak arguments for continuing this program.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by morinto: 11:53pm On May 26, 2021
Simplyleo:
I disagree with the DG.

The damn NYSC should be scrapped and the money be invested in other useful things.

Na the useless NYSC dey carry some people go another state and on completion, refuse to go back to their useless states.

Lagos, Ogun, Kano and Kaduna are dominated by people from other places and in their own states they come from, you pay for even the air you breath and therefore, nobody stays back there. 

You will be seeing prospective Corp members from places like Lagos, Ogun, Kano and Kaduna attempting to work out ways of serving in their states but same cannot be said of some backward villages. 

If the scheme should continue, it should modified such that corp members will be serving in their states. Enough of these migrations. undecided
Mr man first ask your self what was the main reason of the NYSC
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by calcal: 12:02am On May 27, 2021
The NYSC is a bad agenda. discriminating against a large percentage of your population.

You can force people to love each other via NYSC, we are not ONE.

For those thinking they save money during NYSC, that's rubbish. wake up, read what about other countries, stop limiting yourself to the zoo.

A child born in America receives $2000/year until 17 years.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Masterchef(m): 2:22am On May 27, 2021
The DG should first send his children and family members on NYSC in places like Yobe, Borno, Zamfara and Niger etc.
What a lazy soldier crying over NYSC while real Generals are dying over the problems caused by the retrogressive 'North East'.

At this time, corp members from non-Almajairi-breeding regions, for instance, will be safer in their states of origin under a skill acquisition scheme devoid of anything to do with the military.

By the way, since the military is short of personnel, there's no better time for them to get their hands off the NYSC scheme.

It's Buhari's work to unify Nigerians behind a national ambition, not Corp members'. He can sack all the ethno-religous bigots / hypocrites in his government and spend the next 2 years leading so we catch up on the almost 60 years of growth lost since that first military coup that destroyed Nigeria.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Olibboy: 3:24am On May 27, 2021
Robisky001:
NYSC is not a waste of time but it should be rebranded to fit in varieties of vocational training that will serve as a springboard at the end of the service year.
right point
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by showafrica(m): 4:55am On May 27, 2021
Simplyleo:
I disagree with the DG.

The damn NYSC should be scrapped and the money be invested in other useful things.

Na the useless NYSC dey carry some people go another state and on completion, refuse to go back to their useless states.

Lagos, Ogun, Kano and Kaduna are dominated by people from other places and in their own states they come from, you pay for even the air you breath and therefore, nobody stays back there. 

You will be seeing prospective Corp members from places like Lagos, Ogun, Kano and Kaduna attempting to work out ways of serving in their states but same cannot be said of some backward villages. 

If the scheme should continue, it should modified such that corp members will be serving in their states. Enough of these migrations. undecided

Supported... Serve in your state and develop it not the other way round. Unity can go to hell, let everyone be responsible in his state of origin.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Nobody: 5:00am On May 27, 2021
Lazynigerian1:

So scrapping NYSC would fix all those problems?

Okay.

Many of you guys calling for the scrap of NYSC...won't go back to your village to fill the professions gap left.

why dont you go to your village to fill your profession post abi na from heaven you yake drop?
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by blazesam(m): 5:24am On May 27, 2021
It not a waste of time, who has ever been to Benue before? The best yoghurt in Benue is own by someone who served here in Benue long time ago, started in sachets and later advanced to where he is today. Tito yoghurt remains one among the best yoghurt in Nigeria
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by DrFunmisticGlow: 6:36am On May 27, 2021
yemex04:

I can tell you categorically that my NYSC period was one of the most memorable times of my life! Trust me on this bro. It obviously set for me the foundation for a highly progressive future.. I met people of influence both among the corps members & within the community.. I am doing well right now Nysc launched me into greatness..

But like I said, You can make NYSC period whatever it is you want it for you, as for me, I chose to make the best use of that time, impacting the community and also got myself opened up to new discoveries!! NYSC provided the platform for me to discover new things about myself.. Honestly those that wasted that time won't understand.
well it may have benefitted you, but you are the exception, not the rule.

NYSC should be scrapped
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by adekool2015: 12:25pm On May 27, 2021
He has to defend his pot of soup, that's who we are. Assuming he is not benefiting from it he will be among the people who will condemn it as a time wasting scheme.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by cosinb: 1:22pm On May 27, 2021
There are hundreds of TV models on the scene today, but when choosing the best one, you are faced with many factors. It involves the design, functionality, features, and more. Several stores offer smart TV products, which can be compared in terms of features but not necessarily brand recognition. Let us know about the best smart TV available in India in 2021.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

9 Corps Member Drown During Picnic In Taraba / Unvaccinated Corps Members Barred From NYSC Camps / NYSC FLASHBACK( Those Days)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.