Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,095 members, 7,818,283 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG (14711 Views)

Should NYSC Not Be Scrapped? / We Sent You To Serve Not To Do Evangelism, NYSC DG Warns Corps Members / FG Set To Increase Allowance Of Corpers - NYSC DG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Nobody: 7:52pm On May 26, 2021
Gat a lot to type but, damn!!

I'll rather they be put in action than just be listened to.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by LikeAking: 7:52pm On May 26, 2021
Lazynigerian1:

That's the problem...we don't have enough experienced medics.(I work in healthcare, remember?)..and most of our few experienced medics prefer to work in the urban areas...not rural areas.

And NYSC is not the reason why we have high unempolyment...the fact that we import biscuits that we can make at home instead of making them and exporting them is why we have high unemployment...in addition to the fact that most people prefer to be importers rather than exporters of manufactured goods.

I said one of the reasons.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Princedapace(m): 7:52pm On May 26, 2021
Kandeed:
NYSC is really not a waste of time, there have been recount of how the program has made some folks save and by the end they got some amount(tho not much) to start smtin probably a petty business and on the long run has established lotta people, so many met their destiny helpers thr this program, so many discovered their self, some the love of their lives, some made a tremendious connection for life thr this same program.

I hate Lagos with my life. I can't spend two nights there. So, get dey fvck out of here.

To me scrapping it shows a level of foolishness among these law makers. The only reason they want to scrap it is cuz they're paying corpers and want to cut it short nothing more. Useless people sad
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by cosse(m): 7:53pm On May 26, 2021
vikgreen01:

Chai bro u touched all the points
The stupid nysc differed the opportunity I saw Nd the certificate is required for me to tender now I’m stucked waiting to shoot my shot again
just imagine
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Princedapace(m): 7:58pm On May 26, 2021
Simplyleo:
I disagree with the DG.

The damn NYSC should be scrapped and the money be invested in other useful things.

Na the useless NYSC dey carry some people go another state and on completion, refuse to go back to their useless states.

Lagos, Ogun, Kano and Kaduna are dominated by people from other places and in their own states they come from, you pay for even the air you breath and therefore, nobody stays back there. 

You will be seeing prospective Corp members from places like Lagos, Ogun, Kano and Kaduna attempting to work out ways of serving in their states but same cannot be said of some backward villages. 

If the scheme should continue, it should modified such that corp members will be serving in their states. Enough of these migrations. undecided

These people you have your mind to say this rubbish, majority of them want out of Nigeria. So, if I were you, u will join protest demanding for them to leave Nigeria as they so wish instead of celebrating whje Nigerian soldiers shoot them for desiring to leave.

They are also calling for restructuring so that they do not need to travel to Lagos or Abuja before they can book meeting with embassies to travel to other countries or import their goods.

U run a system of govt that centralized everything to Lagos and Abuja and u blame people for running to those places? My brother, practice true federalism or regional govt and see people desert Lagos.

I sincerely think you people should hasten the need to run a regional system of govt so that regions can have their own international Airport without waiting for FG to approve it. U really think that many people are happy in Lagos? They don't have a choice becus most of the stuff they want to do are based in Lagos.

Join our voices as we demand for a restructured Nigeria, and u will have ur Lagos to ur selves alone.

2 Likes

Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Nobody: 7:59pm On May 26, 2021
LikeAking:

I said one of the reasons.

NYSC has nothing to do with unemployment...and infact is a source of employment, and since skills training was introduced ..may even act as employment generator.

Anyway, if you scrap NYSC, it would cause more problems than it solves.

Again, Nigeria since independence has run an economy based on exporting raw materials, sharing the money, and using the money to import stuff. THis stifles local industries, and employment by extension.

Also, power, petroleum are subject to price controls...which suppresses potential profits, and job creation in both sectors.

NYSC has nothing to do with unemployment. There was unemployment before NYSC, and there will be after.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by DrFunmisticGlow: 7:59pm On May 26, 2021
Lazynigerian1:

That's the problem...we don't have enough experienced medics.(I work in healthcare, remember?)..and most of our few experienced medics prefer to work in the urban areas...not rural areas.

And NYSC is not the reason why we have high unempolyment...the fact that we import biscuits that we can make at home instead of making them and exporting them is why we have high unemployment...in addition to the fact that most people prefer to be importers rather than exporters of manufactured goods.
uncle, go and be a medic and serve in a rural village.

We no want.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Prophetdoctor(m): 8:01pm On May 26, 2021
A lot of people have benefited from this scheme. Although, I have ugly stories I would tell about about people that I know who have suffered or lost their destinies through this scheme, but it's mostly their fault.

NYSC is not a waste of time. Many have met their destiny helpers at their PPA. My sister is happily married to a Yoruba man she met at Ogun State during her NYSC days. The husband is now working as a Lab. scientist at UI, Ibadan. My father through the help of God did his NYSC at CBN. He played his cards well. He was retained after his program. He worked and retired there as a Executive. Our last born is currently doing his NYSC at MINT. We are hoping they will retain him next year.

The advantages outweigh the disadvantages. NYSC should not be scrapped.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Maj196(m): 8:01pm On May 26, 2021
Charmingpet:
how he go lose job, they will post to elsewhere. The place might be better
Yea, but I think there's more prestige to being the NYSC DG
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Nobody: 8:01pm On May 26, 2021
DrFunmisticGlow:
thunder fire you.

You will prosper in life

See your mouth waaaa like doctors and teachers

Your children will bless you as well as your grandchildren. And you will have all your needs met instantly.

NYSC is a scheme that needs to be scrapped and erased from our memories.

Yes, you have a right to think that....but the problem is, who is going to supply people like teachers, doctors and nurses to the rural areas.

Your abusing me does not solve that problem.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by DrFunmisticGlow: 8:03pm On May 26, 2021
NextBuhari:
Establish Mega Farms in each state where Corps members will be posted to during the service year.
will you farm there?
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Nobody: 8:03pm On May 26, 2021
DrFunmisticGlow:
uncle, go and be a medic and serve in a rural village.

We no want.

Good, then don;t complain if your relation in the village falls sick and there is no doctor, or the child in the village cannot get good education because there aren't enough teachers

Besides, I have spent a large part of my working life working in the rural areas, so what's the grumbling about.

Life isn't always about what you want.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by DrFunmisticGlow: 8:05pm On May 26, 2021
Lazynigerian1:

You will prosper in life

Your children will bless you as well as your grandchildren. And you will have all your needs met instantly.

Yes, you have a right to think that....but the problem is, who is going to supply people like teachers, doctors and nurses to the rural areas.

Your abusing me does not solve that problem.
they should be paid well for their services like everyone else.

Not forcing people to go to serve in a backwards village.

1 Like

Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by NaijaOlosho(f): 8:06pm On May 26, 2021
Kandeed:
NYSC is really not a waste of time, there have been recount of how the program has made some folks save and by the end they got some amount(tho not much) to start smtin probably a petty business and on the long run has established lotta people, so many met their destiny helpers thr this program, so many discovered their self, some the love of their lives, some made a tremendious connection for life thr this same program.

To me scrapping it shows a level of foolishness among these law makers. The only reason they want to scrap it is cuz they're paying corpers and want to cut it short nothing more. Useless people sad

Is this how you sugar coat things

You did not add the fact that most people were killed, vital organs mutilated.

Some kidnapped, some die anyhow because of NYSC

1 Like

Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Nobody: 8:07pm On May 26, 2021
DrFunmisticGlow:
they should be paid well for their services like everyone else.

Not forcing people to go to serve in a backwards village.

Good, I suggest you run for office so that you can implement the changes to our economy needed to improve things for everyone

Good evening. Earlier on you abused me and insulted me. While I am not that offended, even then what you did was wrong and rude .

I wish you well.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by DrFunmisticGlow: 8:11pm On May 26, 2021
Lazynigerian1:

Good, then don;t complain if your relation in the village falls sick and there is no doctor, or the child in the village cannot get good education because there aren't enough teachers

Besides, I have spent a large part of my working life working in the rural areas, so what's the grumbling about.

Life isn't always about what you want.
first @ Lazynigerian1 NONE of my relatives are in the village. They are all in cities where there is access to infrastructure.

Second, life is about what I want. I am the narrator, the main character and the star of my ongoing story. I have worked hard to get what i want.
So if a village wants good teachers and doctors, they should do all in their power and get them. Not wait for someone else's child whose parent has put in the effort into make a life for that child.

The only thing i gained from NYSC, was a near death experience in my line of duty, which severely affected my health to this day, a mental breakdown, i nearly lost passion for my chosen course and career which I am still struggling with. Last but not least, loss of hope and patriotism for this country called Nigeria.

NYSC deserves to burn.
If i want to serve. Let me do it willingly. I willingly volunteered my services (without pay) as a medical officer in yabaleft for 3 months before NYSC. That is a phase of my life I will never regret.

But after NYSC, I will never volunteer for anything in this country again.
Pay me bitch!?
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by BF69BF: 8:12pm On May 26, 2021
hush15:

That's the point. It doesn't live to its purpose.

You make no sense, read again.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by DrFunmisticGlow: 8:13pm On May 26, 2021
Lazynigerian1:

Good, I suggest you run for office so that you can implement the changes to our economy needed to improve things for everyone

Good evening. Earlier on you abused me and insulted me. While I am not that offended, even then what you did was wrong and rude .

I wish you well.
while everyone is entitled to their opinion. Foolish sentences must be called out for the BS that they are.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by yemex04(m): 8:14pm On May 26, 2021
The period for NYSC is what one makes of it, is to individuals that have participated in it.Some people wasted the whole one year while made the best of that time..I belong to the latter.

To the retrospectives,please go for NYSC and the best use of that time,It is highly fulfilling.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Franking: 8:15pm On May 26, 2021
Complete waste of time and resources.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by DrFunmisticGlow: 8:22pm On May 26, 2021
yemex04:
The period for NYSC is what one makes of it, is to individuals that have participated in it.Some people wasted the whole one year while made the best of that time..I belong to the latter.

To the retrospectives,please go for NYSC and the best use of that time,It is highly fulfilling.
No it isn't.

It's sheer exploitation and the brain washing starts from orientation camp.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by vikgreen01(m): 8:23pm On May 26, 2021
They should just give them that allowance altogether it will be of good in that manner...
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Kandeed: 8:25pm On May 26, 2021
NaijaOlosho:

Is this how you sugar coat things

You did not add the fact that most people were killed, vital organs mutilated.

Some kidnapped, some die anyhow because of NYSC

People move from one street to another and get kidnapped or either killed, people ain't safe in their homes atm but you can decide to dwell on the Negative part of NYSC that's solely ur business really
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by LikeAking: 8:26pm On May 26, 2021
Lazynigerian1:

NYSC has nothing to do with unemployment...and infact is a source of employment, and since skills training was introduced ..may even act as employment generator.

Anyway, if you scrap NYSC, it would cause more problems than it solves.

Again, Nigeria since independence has run an economy based on exporting raw materials, sharing the money, and using the money to import stuff. THis stifles local industries, and employment by extension.

Also, power, petroleum are subject to price controls...which suppresses potential profits, and job creation in both sectors.

NYSC has nothing to do with unemployment. There was unemployment before NYSC, and there will be after.

This is a real fact- Ask other people.

Many companies are relying on cheap NYSC labour.

Please check very well.

Most of the young guys you see in banks and many offices are corpers who will be dumped and replaced after service.

Check well.

NYSC- Cheap labour.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by BruncleZuma: 8:27pm On May 26, 2021
emeijeh:
Stupid NYSC
Brunclezuma, nothing has really changed since our time.
Baba if somebody is not paying and somebody is not cashing out, e go don scrap since.

You remember when the state coordinator come yan say dem dey feed us with 15k per person?
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by EM123: 8:35pm On May 26, 2021
Kandeed:

you always rush out to call people useless. You didn't see the once that died during election, endsars protest , some died during boko harm attack, some died through accident. etc . They have their reasons for ending nysc, before you spell nosense you must spell sense.
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by DBestower126(m): 8:44pm On May 26, 2021
[One of the nice comments Ihave red so far.
Those of you shouting that it should be banned, if you know how many people that has gotten job through this nysc you won't be typing all these trash,my bro was retained where he went to serve and he has been working there since 2012 getting good salary and living fine and im very sure some of you that want it to be scrapped get your job through this nysc,a lot of people that know nobody or have any connections have gotten job where they were posted to and still working there till today,I know most students that started POS business from their nysc saving and they are managing that pending the time when they will get a good job,some people had their first working experience through nysc though it may need reformation but not total ban because nysc may be useless to you but its not useless to 75% of those undergraduates[/quote]
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Nobleou(m): 8:46pm On May 26, 2021
Kwanza:

https://www.thecable.ng/nysc-not-a-waste-of-time-says-dg
He is only defending for d money he is enjoying in d scheme.
NYSC na scam. why do rich ppl only serve in Abj and Lagos and ar posted to nice PPA? hw many poor corp members have d same opportunity...
Bleep Nigeria
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by NaijaOlosho(f): 8:54pm On May 26, 2021
Kandeed:

People move from one street to another and get kidnapped or either killed, people ain't safe in their homes atm but you can decide to dwell on the Negative part of NYSC that's solely ur business really

A typical Nigerian undecided
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by Cmanforall: 8:55pm On May 26, 2021
Lazynigerian1:
Anybody saying NYSC is a waste of time should also find the doctors, nurses, and teachers that would run hospitals and schools in the rural areas....
Because if NYSC goes, there has to be a replacement, because people don't want to live in the village.

Modifed...Especially doctors and teachers. An NYSC doctor can be the only doc for miles around. Remove her or him...and people will sometimes have to carry their critically ill patient to the nearest hospital for miles.

As for teachers...I once read the writeup of one NYSC corper teacher. The school she was assigned to...all the teachers posted there immediately got themselves posted to the cities...leaving the school in the hands of NYSC corpers and a few die hard teachers. And this was a school in the South.

If we scrap NYSC...either we replace it with a system where doctors and teachers do one year rural service (countries like Nepal do that)...or we suffer serious crisis in our health and education sectors.
Your view though.

But if indigenous teachers/doctors are running from their State-owned schools/hospitals, why should young graduates suffer from the State's incompetence.

If employed staff don't want to work in rural areas, then the state should make the salaries of those working there to be higher with more benefits. Or they find other means, not using young graduates.

And please, do not compare Nigeria with Nepal. Has the country gotten to that stage?
Re: NYSC Not A Waste Of Time, Says DG by DBestower126(m): 8:56pm On May 26, 2021
Most of the people that are supporting scraping of nysc are those that have done it or have no hope of doing it. The stipend have helped and would help graduates in getting capital for startup and if scrapped I dont think the government will willingly give out such amount, Nigerians are wicked this is how they stopped scholarships after gainfully enjoying it. [/quote]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Unvaccinated Corps Members Barred From NYSC Camps / NYSC FLASHBACK( Those Days) / NYSC Bans Unauthorized Journeys By Corps Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.