Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,932 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:28 AM

Did Christ Preached Works For Salvation? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did Christ Preached Works For Salvation? (134 Views)

Is Baptism Necessary For Salvation? / Why Did Christ Teachings Emphasize Works Of Righteousness And Not Grace? / Are There Countries, Places In The World Where The Gospel Has Not Been Preached? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did Christ Preached Works For Salvation? by livingchrist: 9:42pm On May 28, 2021
Many today claimed that Christ preached that man is required to do work before they can be saved, but is this true?

First let's consider some verses of the bible that seems to say man needs to do works for salvation.

Mark 10:17-22 And when he was gone forth into the way, there came one running, and kneeled to him, and asked him, Good Master, what shall I do that I may inherit eternal life?

And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God.
Thou knowest the commandments, Do not commit adultery, Do not kill, Do not steal, Do not bear false witness, Defraud not, Honour thy father and mother.

And he answered and said unto him, Master, all these have I observed from my youth.

Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me.

And he was sad at that saying, and went away grieved: for he had great possessions.

Here is the story of a young ruler who came to Jesus, asking him what he should do to gain eternal life.

But remember Jesus is wise and majority of the times he does not answer a question directly, Jesus answers and questions were always met to prove men's heart.

Jesus answer to that man is the same even till today.

Jesus said if you want to see life, keep the commandments, well many folks would rejoice on hearing this. this man quickly answered Jesus that he has being keeping the commanment from his childhood, Jesus loved him for his honesty at trying is best, but the sad news was that his best was not enough, he needed to sell all his property and give it to the poor, then come and follow Jesus.
Jesus literarily explained what it means to keep the law, not only are you to keep the law from childhood, you are also expected to sell all your belongings and give them to the poor, and still come and follow Jesus, hahaha, most people skip this part, the forgot that the law and prophet is all about Jesus, meaning even in keeping the law to its perfection you are still required to follow Jesus, the question is why?
That is because Jesus is the only way not the prophet and the law, that is why the transfiguration took place, the voice came from heaven singling out Jesus between moses and Elijah, moses represent the law while Elijah represent the prophet, you know what? It was only Jesus that was picked.
So if you follow the law and the prophets they will lead you straight to Jesus.

Man can get eternal life by keeping the law, yes, but the law must be kept in all its entirety and in its detail.

The young ruler taught he was keeping the law but nope, there is more to the law, meaning sell all your property and finally come and follow Jesus.

But do you know that those who followed Jesus came to know the truth, remember Jesus is the truth, it is this truth that set a man free, Jesus reveals the truth about man and about God, The truth that man is corrupt and evil in nature and that they cannot meet the requirement of the law, Jesus reveals to his fellows that he is the only way to be saved not the law and the prophets, so those who follow Jesus would realise that their righteousness were filthy rag when they see the excellency of christ.
Paul was one of such example, paul was obey the law sincerely, he literally served God from his youth and he taught he was holy and righteous till he met the glorified Jesus! Then he realised his works were poo!

The young ruler went away sorrowful because of his riches! Jesus had just exposed who the ruler really is! He is a selfish, materialistic person, who preferred wealth than the need of others and following Jesus, but unfortunately instead of turning to Jesus he turned away!

Jesus knew who this man is, that is why Jesus said call no man good except God, meaning not even this man is good, why then was Jesus expecting good from this man?

Matthew 7:17
Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

Jesus convicted the man.The law convicts sinners and send them to Christ that is what Jesus just did.

Galatians 3:24
Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

1 Like

Re: Did Christ Preached Works For Salvation? by livingchrist: 9:53pm On May 28, 2021
Another verse, being used is this,

Matthew 25:31-46 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:
I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

First of all There are actually two Judgments here, The judgment for the sheep ( Christians) and the judgment for the goats unbeliever.

Now a Christian is a transformed person created to do good works,
Ephesians 2:10
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

Jesus is using their good works to distinguish them, Note the sheep did not even know when they did it, interesting!
Same thing for the goats, they didnt know they did not do good works, but wait a minute is there anybody alive that lives his or her life and never did any single good work?

What type of good works?
The good works that God recognises is that of his people.
The sheep were already saved before the judgment, hence the judgment was just to distinguish them from the goats who were not saved,
The goats may have done good works according to human standard but their good works was just payment of unending debt and hence never recognise

Romans 4:4
Now to him that worketh is the reward not reckoned of grace, but of debt.

So, the works Jesus mentioned were simply the fruit of salvation which only those saves by through faith in him eventually produces.

A Ferrari car is fast because it was built to be fast so also a Christian does good because he or she was built to be so.

1 Like

Re: Did Christ Preached Works For Salvation? by livingchrist: 5:15pm On Jun 11, 2021
Amen
Re: Did Christ Preached Works For Salvation? by petra1(m): 8:56pm On Jun 11, 2021
livingchrist:
Many today claimed that Christ preached that man is required to do work before they can be saved, but is this true?

they are ignorant of the doctrine of righteousnes

[/color]Romans 10:3
3 For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

(1) (Reply)

Failure Is Not The End Of Life / Light House Cleaning Services / Lord, I Thank You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.