Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,430 members, 7,830,153 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:02 PM

Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea (41508 Views)

Forget De Bruyne; These Fernandes' Stats Prove Pep Guardiola Was Wrong / Guardiola Was Seen Coaching Raheem Sterling After Man City Have Won The FA Cup / Why Super Eagles Lost To England - Rohr (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by Ghast12: 5:51pm On May 30, 2021
Really
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by Bossman25(m): 5:52pm On May 30, 2021
U dey mind them...panadol for another person matter...Lol

Xixtie:
Every sport on planet Earth has one loosing and the other winning. Doing "Ajayi'' work in the name of analysis over something that was a 50-50 win for both teams is a very stupid and needless stress. E koshi lo.
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by uunwanaobong3: 5:55pm On May 30, 2021
PEP LOST THIS GAME BECAUSE OF THREE THINGS:

1) CHANCE OF TACTICAL FORMATION: unlike the normal flat 4 3 3 he normaly play, he choses to go in diamond shape 4-3-3 by play two false nine, taking debruyne out of his creative role and playing him at false nine and with about 5 attacking players.

2) NO DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER; it is important to point out here that no team can win ANY trophy with a defensive midfielder and center back, talk more of a champions league

3) INCLUSION OF STERLING;
both in and out of form, any manager that seriously think of winning any finals should not start with sterling no matter what happen. He render mancity handicap... It was like playing 10 against 11 men.
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by HomorBj(m): 5:57pm On May 30, 2021
You're smart jare,so much for Nairalamd Pundits.....
Over the course of 3meetings,Guardiola adopted three different formations to counter Chelsea fluids plan,the 1-0 defeat was understandable,the FA Cup loss,he played strikers upfront,yet he loss.The CL final,he wanted to adopt a more radical aggressive approach,the truth is Tuchel knows What Guardiola football is all about and he prepared the lads for it,it's so obvious City doesn't have the answers to many questions posed by Chelsea's rampaging team,in the three legs, different formations,them still chop am

1 Like

Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by Bossman25(m): 6:03pm On May 30, 2021
Prophet ChiChi...
Oya! What will happen next season.

Chinny024:
Pep will carry another champions league. Case closed..
I said it here even when lampard was Chelsea's coach during the early season
,that Chelsea will carry champions league. Many attacked and quoted me with harsh words on top..So,how market?...
Congratulations Chelsea!!!
Arsenal will rise again.
Man U might fall like a bird...
Liverpool will come runner up.
This I have seen. Save it for future purposes..
Nairaland have many underrated prophets!!!
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by Angelfrost(m): 6:03pm On May 30, 2021
Fiscus105:

but ur Fernandinho was in starting 11 when they faced Chelsea in semi- final and you were defeated.

in life not only football, you win some you loose some.

The semi-final was also lacking...

Yes, you win some and lose some... But, I expected a better line up and formation last night.
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by Angelfrost(m): 6:04pm On May 30, 2021
Laurene:
your post reeks of ignorance.

Thank you... Anything else?!! Are you done?!! tongue
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by Rolexjerry(m): 6:07pm On May 30, 2021
Ifybwoy7:
any reasonable coach will play without a striker against chelsea because of how Chelsea defence line is set up. how do you think Aguero would have hurt chelsea when Chelsea doesn't give you the Chance to penetrate through the middle even. suarez and benzima no get chance to do that one if nor that set piece goal. chelsea is a dangerous team to play period
The game would have been different had he utilised a holding midfielder. There was no City player capable of breaking up play or winning back the ball.
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by Bossman25(m): 6:15pm On May 30, 2021
Like mourinho at Tottenham abii?
Them sack am, come dey beg Pochetino to come back.....Lol!
If it was you, will u like to coach reading and Aston villa if an opportunity rises to coach Man U...?

Alexbrandy28:
Pep is a good manager but has he ever managed a small team with average players?,He has always been fortunate to manage big teams with players of high quality,He inherited an already made team from Frank Rikjard at Barcelona,same with Bayern Munich and Manchester city. Until he turns an average team with average players to a winning team like other coaches before he can be regarded as the best tactician.
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by princeade86(m): 6:18pm On May 30, 2021
Oghenerobo2002:

Don't be rude to make your point. Did they not score and missed a penalty when they played 2 strikers against Chelsea in EPL? Have you read the news headline? "over thinking, guardiola's problem continues "
pep is stupid for playing Chelsea that had kante without defending midfielder. Who does that. U now used silver to midfield, use folden and mayrez at the same time. Come spoiled everything, go start useless sterling.
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by Reference(m): 6:22pm On May 30, 2021
Rolexjerry:

The game would have been different had he utilised a holding midfielder. There was no City player capable of breaking up play or winning back the ball.

Then what happens when you win the ball back. City had superior possession once again like against most teams but the strike rate was poor. Passing the ball around the eighteen will beat most teams but NOT ALL teams. City under Guardiola remains a one trick pony and it showed yesterday against a quality coach. City is a fantastic pony but tiki-taka has its limitations.

Guardiola did admit it post match that they were undone time and again by the ball over the top. Chelsea attacked them in many sort of ways while they on the other hand were predictable. They lacked SHOTS ON GOAL and that is not a DM's business, but a simple instruction from the coach because there were players there who could do it in Mahrez and Kevin and those who SHOULD DO IT in Sergio and Jesus.

The summary is simple. They conceded and were continuously threatened because their midfield was light but they did not score because they simply did not strike. Pep should ditch this his false 9 system. It will not work at the highest levels.
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by Fiscus105(m): 6:31pm On May 30, 2021
Angelfrost:

The semi-final was also lacking...

Yes, you win some and lose some... But, I expected a better line up and formation last night.

believing that man city must win Chelsea at all cost, say alot about ur mentality in football world and issue of life in generally.

2 Likes

Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by Angelfrost(m): 6:33pm On May 30, 2021
Fiscus105:

believing that man city must win Chelsea say alot about ur mentality in football and issue of life in general

Really not my fault if your comprehensive skills are below pedestrian... I honestly can't help you.
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by Emmypure: 6:43pm On May 30, 2021
I am a Chelsea fan o, but had it been Chelsea lost, it will be why did tuchel start Werner instead of giroud, or why did he bench pulisic or ziyech, it soccer someone must loose.
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by niyidenrele: 6:44pm On May 30, 2021
ABANGWABOI:

Go and check the year answer won an European trophy.. Then called Cup winners cup before it name was changed.. even the Uefa cup..
Google is your friend.. for your mind arsenal never won an European continental trophy..

You are poor students of history
So for your mind
Chelsea too never won European cup before the name was changed
Well
All na story
Can you pls repeat
The year Arsenal last won any European trophy �?
Am sure not you or some of your older generation were born as at then
Case closed
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by jacoik(m): 6:45pm On May 30, 2021
Amotolongbo:
Has Guardiola won the champions league without Xavi and Iniesta?

Just asking cos someone said on Twitter that Guardiola without Messi, Xavi and Iniesta, even with over £2billion is just an upgraded Mikael Arteta.
lolxxxxx hahahaha guy why u no add wickedness join ur name na. U say na upgraded Mikael who?
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by Nobody: 6:48pm On May 30, 2021
paulolee:

lolz...another joke....show d way out because he lost d ucl even after dominating English football for years abi??
but united didnt sack Almighty fergie after he lost 2 UCL finals against d same team n same coach abi?? well done bro..
pep signed a new 4yr deal this season n he would stay longer to continue his dominance against all of u so try to get used to it..
pep is a master tactician n just a bad day in office doesn't means failure for a born winner like pep..
a man with massive 30+ trophies losing jus 2 finals isn't a joke...
jus cut him some slack n gv him more respect pls..

After over £1 billion spent?

He lost agains a man that was only given the job to use what he met at Chelsea.

Guardiola no be tactician na lucky bastard ���
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by jacoik(m): 6:49pm On May 30, 2021
Amotolongbo:
If losing by a lone goal is the slimmest margin, what about losing out on the sudden death of a penalty shootout?
lolxxxxx hahahaha I swear guy u Wicked sha. See as u counter him
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by TOPCRUISE(m): 6:50pm On May 30, 2021
Agbegbaorogboye:

I'm sure you're joking. Bench de bruyne because of kante. Just like saying bench Messi because of Pepe
Not even debruyne I expected to be benched, sterling inclusive. Their last 2 matches was a loss. There are lessons they ought to have learnt from that. Using almost same players shows against Chelsea shows nothing learnt
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by Fiscus105(m): 6:50pm On May 30, 2021
Angelfrost:

Really not my fault if your comprehensive skills are below pedestrian... I honestly can't help you.

ur mentality is at fault, when you grow older you will understand philosophy of life, winning a race is not always for mighty
Fernandinho or Messi, if it's day of Chelsea to win, they will win.

if man city won yesterday, I imagine what myopic minded person like you would have been saying by now

.bye
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by adenigga(m): 6:52pm On May 30, 2021
paulolee:

yes I said it...losing trophy takes nothing away from him because he won ur epl god fergie twice in this same UCL final n u guys in EPL are still rating Ferguson ahead of others in EPL...
pep lost n av learnt just like tuchel n klopp once lost a UCL final too before they won It..
pep is still d best currently n he would surely bounce bk or do u want to name any manager in d last 10 years dt have more wins, more goals n more trophies than pep??
any manager currently in europe dt av more trophies than pep??
m waiting bcoz ur tuchel jus got started n gat jus 10 trophies...so put some respect on pep's name bro....u dig??

I beg, move.....

Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by BENEAMATA: 6:59pm On May 30, 2021
medolab90:

It is all easy to analyze on paper,but can't be subjected in reality.

I also think history has a part to play yesterday, cos no team has made it into the final has a debutant and won it before. Same with PSG of last year too.
borrussia dortmund . 1997 . won their first final appearance .long time latest new winner before chelsea 2012 .
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by Jazzman01: 7:01pm On May 30, 2021
kingjooo:
My guy you know how to analyze football,immediately sterling was removed i told my guys that the game is over,kudos to james i never knew he's that good.

James is good but let's not forget that sterling is no longer in form. When sterling was on fire, not even azpilicueta nor rudiger could stop him.

1 Like

Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by lexy2014: 7:29pm On May 30, 2021
Ifybwoy7:
pep is good no doubts but enough with the overhype. geez i couldn't even hear anything before the match, even man shoe fans that knows nothing was just yaping and saying do i believe pep would lose this final to Chelsea?
they also said pep does not lose final. well you know what? pep won those champions league finals because of the wonderful players like messi, Xavi, iniesta, etc period.

After he left, why didn't d coach that replaced him win d UCL with Messi, Xavi, Iniesta etc?

1 Like

Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by lexy2014: 7:31pm On May 30, 2021
medolab90:

It is all easy to analyze on paper,but can't be subjected in reality.

I also think history has a part to play yesterday, cos no team has made it into the final has a debutant and won it before. Same with PSG of last year too.

Which one did Dortmund and Chelsea do?
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by lexy2014: 7:33pm On May 30, 2021
Oghenerobo2002:
Guardiola is solely to blame for the defeat. He chose to play without a striker even when Jesus and Aguero were fully fit, using debruyne as false 9 which really backfired as he was ineffective. Starting without a holding midfielder despite having rodri and fernandinho fit was another gamble, his defense was exposed so many times, thank God for wasteful Werner; it would have been a different scoreline

On d two occasions Tuchel beat guardiola, which of d above u mentioned was lacking?
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by lexy2014: 7:36pm On May 30, 2021
obembet:

Source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9633303/Pep-Guardiola-smart-good-Manchester-City-lost-Chelsea.html

Grammar grammar everywhere. Guardiola has used two formations against Chelsea with defensive midfielders on two previous meetings and still lost. What's all d fuss?
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by justli: 7:39pm On May 30, 2021
BENEAMATA:

borrussia dortmund . 1997 . won their first final appearance .long time latest new winner before chelsea 2012 .

2012 wasn't Chelsea's first final oga.
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by BABZIENE(m): 7:41pm On May 30, 2021
Xixtie:
Every sport on planet Earth has one loosing and the other winning. Doing "Ajayi'' work in the name of analysis over something that was a 50-50 win for both teams is a very stupid and needless stress. E koshi lo.

God will kuku bless you. Truth is, if City had won yesterday's match no one would be analysing the many mistakes of Guardiola.
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by Lekan239(m): 7:47pm On May 30, 2021
SkengRay:
That nigga tactics backfired. Playing with no Central Forward. And Starting three Attacking Midfielders in Mid-field. His plan was to play Possessive football. But Chelsea outsmarted them on the counter. angry
but pep has been playing with no striker this season, so why this fuss, he even used the so called striker last match against Chelsea and they still loss, if almighty saurez, Benzema and that huge Porto striker cant penetrate Chelsea defense, is it the out of form aguero and inexperience Jesus dat will.

are you telling me ATM,PORTO AND REAL MADRID coaches also got their tactics wrong which is why they lose to Chelsea, pls stop all this and give credit onto whom deserve it

1 Like

Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by Oghenerobo2002(m): 7:55pm On May 30, 2021
princeade86:
pep is stupid for playing Chelsea that had kante without defending midfielder. Who does that. U now used silver to midfield, use folden and mayrez at the same time. Come spoiled everything, go start useless sterling.
Exactly
Re: Guardiola Was Too Smart For His Own Good As Man City Lost To Chelsea by fujirice: 8:09pm On May 30, 2021
Ifybwoy7:
any reasonable coach will play without a striker against chelsea because of how Chelsea defence line is set up. how do you think Aguero would have hurt chelsea when Chelsea doesn't give you the Chance to penetrate through the middle even. suarez and benzima no get chance to do that one if nor that set piece goal. chelsea is a dangerous team to play period
Don’t mind them.
Anything to take away the shine and the tactical brilliance of Tuchel. Everyone is just talking about Pep because they gave Chelsea no chance. Forgetting that this same Chelsea had beaten City even in their backyard!
When will these people give us the accolade that we deserve?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Super Eagles Brazil 2014 New Jeysey / Andy Ruiz Jr Demands ₦15.3 Billion To Rematch Anthony Joshua (video) / Top Privately Owned Football Clubs In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.