Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,253 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:33 AM

Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? - Investment (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? (36945 Views)

Looking For A Company That Will Fetch You Good Source Of Income, This Is For You / Investors Lose $190m As Owner Of Cryptocurrency Company Dies With Passwords / MMM Shuts Down Operations And Site After The Death Of The Owner, Sergey Mavrodi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by Trottle: 8:34pm On Jun 06, 2021
The board can fire the owner of a company if he's naive to corporate world politics and the dog-eat-dog system inherent.

To avoid being fired, you can adopt two systems. Either you have the majority shares or create a 2-tiered shares system. E. G Create Class A shares with 1 single vote power and Class B with 5x the voting power of Class A shares. Then allot more of Class B shares to yourself and Class A shares to shareholders.

That way, you might not have the largest shares, but you have the highest voting power. Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook), Larry Page and Sergey Brin (Google) comes to mind.

None of them especially Zuckerberg can be fired easily, almost impossible. Facebook will rather be burnt to the ground than for him to leave.

My humble opinion.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by LOVEGINO(m): 8:34pm On Jun 06, 2021
emmanuelewumi:

Dangote has 80% of Dangote Cement

75% of Dangote Sugar
...the company still stand.
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by kayphyzee(m): 8:35pm On Jun 06, 2021
I still see a lot of people mixing up these terms.

The legal status of a Company in law is that the Company has a separate legal personality from its promoters. Unless you register your business as a sole proprietorship/business name, the Company is different from the founder/promoter.

If the founder/promoter is a shareholder in the company, the Board cannot make the founder leave as a shareholder unless he/she divests or transfer his/her shareholding to other people. Just so this is clear, ownership equates being a shareholder.

On the other hand, If and only if the promoter/founder performs executive functions in the Company can the Board remove him/her. If the promoter/founder is a Non-Executive Director, only the shareholders or regulator can exercise the power of removal.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by bet9ja(m): 8:35pm On Jun 06, 2021
It is possible if you own 49.9% of the company shares. However, sometimes, you may loose more shares due to the tension or zeal to attract infectors during the first round seeding stage.

For instance, imagine a group of people offering your company a million dollars for a share of 50% due to the company potentials. Meanwhile, you have already sold 30% to a friend for N500,000 at the early stage of the company. Now you are left with 70%.

This mean, you own 70%, your friend own 30% before the angel investors came in, hence the angel investors will own 35% while you also own 35% after the million dollar. When it is time for decision making, the investors and your friend can cooperate to unseat you. Hence, it's not a matter of owning a company and making the decision, it's a matter of accountability and responsibility.

Do you know that Jack -The owner of Alibaba currently own less than 5% of alibaba share which is valued in billion dollars.

5 Likes

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by phazotron(m): 8:37pm On Jun 06, 2021
Fanuchi007:
You will be fired but your shares will be intact. You no get d comp6but company go still de pay you

How will you not be the owner when you get majority shares there
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by Rick9(m): 8:37pm On Jun 06, 2021
I can never make the silly mistake of taking my company public. Lie lie. Before some group of people in the name of shareholders come and start telling me how to run my company.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by Oracleforce: 8:37pm On Jun 06, 2021
Premiumwriter2:
I'll personally draft and create a contract and get the very first investors to sign that at all times I'll own 60% of the shares.

All share sales and dilution will come from the remaining 40%. Can't come and form a company and then some modaf*ckers will push me out.

I can sense the domineering spirit in you....
I can never partner with your type of person because you will restrict the growth of the business to your control alone....selfish people everywhere
Steve job was sacked from the company he co-founded...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by Rick9(m): 8:38pm On Jun 06, 2021
Premiumwriter2:
I'll personally draft and create a contract and get the very first investors to sign that at all times I'll own 60% of the shares.

All share sales and dilution will come from the remaining 40%. Can't come and form a company and then some modaf*ckers will push me out.

Exactly I hate that thing.
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by phazotron(m): 8:39pm On Jun 06, 2021
bet9ja:
It is possible if you own 49.9% of the company shares. However, sometimes, you may loose more shares due to the tension or zeal to attract infectors during the first round seeding stage.

For instance, imagine a group of people offering your company a million dollars for a share of 50% due to the company potentials. Meanwhile, you have already sold 30% to a friend for N500,000 at the early stage of the company. Now you are left with 70%.

This mean, you own 70%, your friend own 30% before the angel investors came in, hence the angel investors will own 35% while you also own 35% after the million dollar. When it is time for decision making, the investors and your friend can cooperate to unseat you. Hence, it's not a matter of owning a company and making the decision, it's a matter of accountability and responsibility.

Do you know that Jack -The owner of Alibaba currently own less than 5% of alibaba share which is valued in billion dollars.

Best strategy na to buy back the shares from the investors

Buy them out of the company or buy most of their shares back

1 Like

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by kayphyzee(m): 8:39pm On Jun 06, 2021
Kzinne:
SEC is in charge of the NSE so no news

SEC is a regulatory body for the capital market and public companies. It also does oversight functions for M&A transactions.

NSE (now NGX Group) is a now capital market operator registered as a profit-oriented company.

3 Likes

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by Rick9(m): 8:40pm On Jun 06, 2021
Mandesz:
It's not possible. The owner of the company appoints director of be the cost. He can also fire them as well. He's likely to appoint relative or somebody loyal to him.

It's possible if it's a public company and the founder has less shares than the shareholders and investors
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by Kzinne: 8:41pm On Jun 06, 2021
kayphyzee:

SEC is a regulatory body for the capital market and public companies. It also does oversight functions for M&A transactions.

NSE (now NGX Group) is a now capital market operator registered as a profit-oriented company.

Get educated from Wikipedia-
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) is the main regulatory institution of the Nigerian capital market. It is supervised by the Federal Ministry of Finance.

The NSE is regulated by the Nigerian Securities and Exchange Commission.[7]

1 Like

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by Rick9(m): 8:41pm On Jun 06, 2021
Lanretoye:
I think it depends on the kind of company...ie can dangote group of companies fire dangote?,and there is this bank that the CBN asked a chairman to restore the CEO.
Public corporation is different from private corporation...I stand to be more enlightened.
This usually happens in a public company because only public companies are permitted to sell their stocks on the floor of the stock exchange

So if the founder has less shares they can be booted out of the company.
Most times via hostile takeover
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by Rick9(m): 8:42pm On Jun 06, 2021
Born2winnx:
Me am giving just 30% shares out to investors.
Wisdom. Me would only give out 10% if at all I want to go public.

1 Like

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by adexpa(m): 8:43pm On Jun 06, 2021
It happens where the founder or the idea career only brings the idea with no fund/less fund, his share will probably be less with idea alone and the other guys with cash can push him or her out, but he will continue to receive return accordingly to his/her contribution. Many idea career are not a good directors or managers, they are mostly aggressive and restless. Really idea career/ entrepreneur mostly found companies and move away to generate another.

1 Like

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by tosan245(m): 8:47pm On Jun 06, 2021
The CEO can be fired. Bill Gates a Co-Founder of Microsoft had to resign after the Board of Directors carried out an Investigation on some of his affairs.
This happens a lot.
Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) is another intersting case in the regards where the Founder was displaced.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2021/05/bill-gates-microsoft-board-for-inappropriate-relationship-jeffrey-epstein-melinda-gates-1234758254/amp/

Casper21:
The question “Can the board of directors fire the owner?” is becoming increasingly contentious. CEOs and founders of companies often find themselves out of a job after being fired by means of a vote undertaken by the board of the company. If the person in question is not the owner of a controlling share in the company, there is not much they can do to avoid being fired.

Sharing the ownership of a company leads to loss of total control over it. As external investors are brought in, owners' shares get diluted, and the founder of a company can often find that he or she owns less than half of the shares in that company. This leaves him or her at risk of being fired.

If a CEO has a contract in place, he or she may get fired at the end of that contract period, if the company has new owners or is moving in a new direction.

The CEO, despite being the person who incorporated the company, often gets fired in times when the company is experiencing a slump in financial performance. This is because internal company politics and differing leadership styles render people vulnerable.

If a founder gets fired, then the company's investors have obviously lost confidence in that founder's ability to establish profitability. Or, in the case of a company that is already turning a profit, they do not consider the founder capable of helping the company grow and evolving to meet the needs of a changing market.

...Strategies for Avoiding Dismissal....

Tech Crunch advises executives to always remain defensive, working with key players and building personal relationships with board members and shareholders. These, according to Tech Crunch, are the most important strategies in defending oneself from being attacked by the board of one's own company.

Founders and CEOs need to focus on more than the fact that they are indispensable – they also need to recognize the areas in which they are vulnerable. They can do this in a number of ways:

Knowing whether or not a board vote is enough to fire them.

Being aware of whether or not alleged wrongdoings need to have taken place in order for them to be dismissed.

Keeping one's ears open to listen for complaints and expressions of discontent, and
Being careful of the contracts that they sign.
An important step that CEOs can take to protect their position is to get all promises in writing. A CEO should never trust anybody who claims to always have his or her back.
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by kayphyzee(m): 8:47pm On Jun 06, 2021
Rick9:
I can never make the silly mistake of taking my company public. Lie lie. Before some group of people in the name of shareholders come and start telling me how to run my company.

Think big Bro, think big. Going public gives the Company unlimited room for growth. After a while, you start thinking about sustainability. Building an entity that will outlive you.

NSE will require that at least 20% of the shareholding should be offered to the public. The big bank boys (Ovia, Elumelu, Late Aderinokun etc) still hold substantial shareholding in the banks (directly and indirectly) even though they no longer perform executive roles.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by darichlife: 8:48pm On Jun 06, 2021
Shegzy8:
Please I'm having issues with the payment of my rent, I'm about been rendered homeless. I'm in need of anyone to lend me #15,000 to complete my rent and I'll pay back by month end. Please, I'm ready to do anything to verify my identity and show commitment towards paying back.

You can quote me if you're willing to help.

What can you do with 5odds
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by tosan245(m): 8:48pm On Jun 06, 2021
The CEO can be fired. Steve Jobs the Founder of Apple we all know was once Sacked and replaced, Bill Gates a Co-Founder of Microsoft had to resign after the Board of Directors carried out an Investigation on some of his affairs.
This happens a lot.
Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC) is another intersting case in this regards where the Founder was displaced.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadline.com/2021/05/bill-gates-microsoft-board-for-inappropriate-relationship-jeffrey-epstein-melinda-gates-1234758254/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/steve-jobs-apple-fired-returned-2017-7%3famp

Casper21:
The question “Can the board of directors fire the owner?” is becoming increasingly contentious. CEOs and founders of companies often find themselves out of a job after being fired by means of a vote undertaken by the board of the company. If the person in question is not the owner of a controlling share in the company, there is not much they can do to avoid being fired.

Sharing the ownership of a company leads to loss of total control over it. As external investors are brought in, owners' shares get diluted, and the founder of a company can often find that he or she owns less than half of the shares in that company. This leaves him or her at risk of being fired.

If a CEO has a contract in place, he or she may get fired at the end of that contract period, if the company has new owners or is moving in a new direction.

The CEO, despite being the person who incorporated the company, often gets fired in times when the company is experiencing a slump in financial performance. This is because internal company politics and differing leadership styles render people vulnerable.

If a founder gets fired, then the company's investors have obviously lost confidence in that founder's ability to establish profitability. Or, in the case of a company that is already turning a profit, they do not consider the founder capable of helping the company grow and evolving to meet the needs of a changing market.

...Strategies for Avoiding Dismissal....

Tech Crunch advises executives to always remain defensive, working with key players and building personal relationships with board members and shareholders. These, according to Tech Crunch, are the most important strategies in defending oneself from being attacked by the board of one's own company.

Founders and CEOs need to focus on more than the fact that they are indispensable – they also need to recognize the areas in which they are vulnerable. They can do this in a number of ways:

Knowing whether or not a board vote is enough to fire them.

Being aware of whether or not alleged wrongdoings need to have taken place in order for them to be dismissed.

Keeping one's ears open to listen for complaints and expressions of discontent, and
Being careful of the contracts that they sign.
An important step that CEOs can take to protect their position is to get all promises in writing. A CEO should never trust anybody who claims to always have his or her back.
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by kayphyzee(m): 8:49pm On Jun 06, 2021
Rick9:

Wisdom. Me would only give out 10% if at all I want to go public.

Listing requirements of the the NGX - at least 20% must be offered to the public. Your Company must have a market capitalization of at least N4billion.

1 Like

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by kayphyzee(m): 8:53pm On Jun 06, 2021
Kzinne:

Get educated from Wikipedia-
The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) is the main regulatory institution of the Nigerian capital market. It is supervised by the Federal Ministry of Finance.

The NSE is regulated by the Nigerian Securities and Exchange Commission.[7]

I don't understand you. Did the source you quoted contradict what I wrote. I even went further to state that we don't have NSE again, the entity is now called NGX Group. This is my field of practice, and I need no Wikipedia to reference.

2 Likes

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by justmondris: 8:54pm On Jun 06, 2021
Premiumwriter2:

Such contract might deprive you from getting more serious investors. Always go for voting shares and retain as much as possible. This is the only reason why mark Zuckerberg has not been kicked out like job

4 Likes

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by justmondris: 8:57pm On Jun 06, 2021
Lanretoye:
I think it depends on the kind of company...ie can dangote group of companies fire dangote?,and there is this bank that the CBN asked a chairman to restore the CEO.
Public corporation is different from private corporation...I stand to be more It
I don’t think it depends on the company
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by justmondris: 9:00pm On Jun 06, 2021
Born2winnx:
Me am giving just 30% shares out to investors.

Then your company needs to be very profitable so that you will have enough money to run it without depending on investors’ money like oxygen.

I heard there is one man that owns 100% share of his company and grow it to over 100Million USD in valuation

1 Like

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by mufadem2012: 9:05pm On Jun 06, 2021
The best way to remain perpetual is to be a board chair with your establishment and put MD under control.
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by tutudesz: 9:05pm On Jun 06, 2021
henryobinna:
wow! I never knew this.
Does this apply only to Nigerian stock exchange or all over the world
It's should be a global rule O! Google 20% ownership rule.
But most owners use 3rd parties to buy shares in their company to remain in control

1 Like

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by Shegzy8(m): 9:05pm On Jun 06, 2021
Skyfornia:

Why not give the landlord the ones you have and promise to pay the remaining 15k by month since you are sure you can get it

The payment has been due for quite some time. He has threatened to give me an eviction letter this week and once he does that I'll have to vacate after sometime which I don't want. I want to quickly make the payment before he comes.
Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by tutudesz: 9:07pm On Jun 06, 2021
justmondris:

Then your company needs to be very profitable so that you will have enough money to run it without depending on investors’ money like oxygen.

I heard there is one man that owns 100% share of his company and grow it to over 100Million USD in valuation
Adenuga is a prefect example, baba no gree put Glo for stock exchange

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by tutudesz: 9:09pm On Jun 06, 2021
sandra50:
Didn't think of this before registering my company then..now I'm thinking of using my brother but but I think it's not wise..I will get married some day and have kids and when I do I would like to make some of them my directors so I better leave it for now and when I want to change it I do that once and for all
You can change your company directors anytime

1 Like

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by Ibime(m): 9:10pm On Jun 06, 2021
The founder of a company is not necessarily the owner. Any founder with less than 50% shares can be removed if all the other shareholders agree. Simple.

1 Like

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by DonroxyII: 9:11pm On Jun 06, 2021
Lanretoye:
Public corporation is different from private corporation...I stand to be more enlightened.
Dangote Group can be taken away from Dangote by the Government but Dangote wouldn't be stupid to lose less than 51% ownership in the shares of Dangote Group ...

Infact, he will have proxies shareholders among the 49% .... You must protect your companies ... His banks can also buy from the 49% ... in total Dangote can own up to 75% and nothing can shake him ...

4 Likes

Re: Can The Board Of Directors Fire The Owner Of A Company? by KHRIZ565(m): 9:13pm On Jun 06, 2021
Fire me say wetin happen? I'll just sack all of una, or better still, close my company. It's my own.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

10 Categories Of People That Will React To The Death Of Sergei Mavrodi / MMM Guilders In Osun State Celebrates Democracy / How To Borrow Money Without Collateral Online In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.