Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,317 members, 7,867,844 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 04:41 AM

Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse (1202 Views)

Susan: Davido Insists On Suing Ladies Who accused him of Impregnating / Paul Okoye Reacts To Peter Okoye's threat of suing promoter / MURIC Backs Down From Suing Falz Over 'This Is Nigeria' Video (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse by TMKsouth: 7:47pm On Jun 07, 2021
Another high-profile death over the weekend is leaving some South African families feeling hopeless.

Nigerian televangelist TB Joshua died on Saturday at the age of 57.

He ran the Nigerian church that suffered a catastrophic partial collapse seven years ago and killed 100 people, 80 of whom were South African.

Joshua’s death spells a setback for their families who lost loved ones in the 2014 church collapse in Lagos.

A Johannesburg woman, who doesn’t want her name disclosed, said she lost her 23-year-old daughter in the collapse.

“She was my princess. If he had told us the real story, we would've had closure. I know all the families want closure.”

She said it was painful seeing so many reports praising Joshua because, in her view, he never took accountability for the tragedy or even disclosed what really happened that day.

She and other families filed a civil suit in 2019, which is still before the courts. She said when Joshua received word of this, he offered the claimants R50,000 (N1,5 million).

“I refused and he said 'I will give you double the money,' I still refused. You know, he was so furious to the extent that he started threatening me that he will deal with me and that I will lose all my family members.”

With Joshua gone, she’s now pinning her hopes for closure and justice on Nigerian authorities.

Re: Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse by Psalms27: 7:54pm On Jun 07, 2021
Ok
Re: Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse by Eazi1(m): 7:55pm On Jun 07, 2021
Why is it that, after a d man die, there're always stories coming up? Btw, Rip to the man 'n the other party..

He's dead now woman, you're happy?

No matter how nice someone is, he would still offend some, and as he had cause other trouble, he had helped many too
Re: Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse by Authoreety: 7:56pm On Jun 07, 2021
You guys should just rest na
Re: Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse by Righteousness2(m): 8:00pm On Jun 07, 2021
The Prophet is gone to render his account to GOD.
Let Everyone sort out Himself/ Herself Genuinely with JESUS Christ.
What Matters in Eternity is not what people say about you.
What Matters is what GOD knows about you.
Re: Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse by TMKsouth: 8:05pm On Jun 07, 2021
Eazi1:
Why is it that, after a d man die, there're always stories coming up? Btw, Rip to the man 'n the other party..

He's dead now woman, you're happy?

No matter how nice someone is, he would still offend some, and as he had cause other trouble, he had helped many too

But the fact is that his building collapsed on people and killed over 160.
Re: Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse by Omihanifa: 8:06pm On Jun 07, 2021
They should just forget and move on after all even the TB Joshua himself too is dead
Re: Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse by TMKsouth: 8:08pm On Jun 07, 2021
Psalms27:
That's what they're after

Some people lost their breadwinners because of what they believe was neglience. So yes, they should be financially compensated because they no longer have income and incurred funeral expenses.
Re: Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse by TMKsouth: 8:09pm On Jun 07, 2021
Omihanifa:
They should just forget and move on after all even the TB Joshua himself too is dead

His estate remains and should pay up if found that it needs to.
Re: Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse by Eazi1(m): 8:11pm On Jun 07, 2021
TMKsouth:

But the fact is that his building collapsed on people and killed over 160.
So? Buildings had been collapsing and killing since ages, the contractor should be held responsible also
Re: Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse by TMKsouth: 8:16pm On Jun 07, 2021
Eazi1:
So? Buildings had been collapsing and killing since ages, the contractor should be held responsible also

But who hired the inept contractor? These people were there at the invitation of TBJ into his building. They were not in the contractor's building.

BTW, in sane countries people are held accountable for collapsing buildings - you don't just accept it as fate.
Re: Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse by Eazi1(m): 8:26pm On Jun 07, 2021
TMKsouth:

But who hired the inept contractor? These people were there at the invitation of TBJ into his building. They were not in the contractor's building.

BTW, in sane countries people are held accountable for collapsing buildings - you don't just accept it as fate.
Well, I didn't tag it fate, and it thus had been happening and woun't seize to happen, do you know some can die for buhari while u critisize him?

You would never please everyone and never make peace with everyone, that what I called fate
Re: Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse by TMKsouth: 9:11pm On Jun 07, 2021
Eazi1:
Well, I didn't tag it fate, and it thus had been happening and woun't seize to happen, do you know some can die for buhari while u critisize him?

You would never please everyone and never make peace with everyone, that what I called fate

Lesson to all other churches is that they should take out property and life insurance.

Your boss pays you out when you get injured at work coz he's taken out insurance, so I don't know why TBJ shouldn't compensate families who lost their loved ones inside his church. Especially because he advertised it, therefore willingly luring them to danger.
Re: Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse by Onyi22(f): 10:02pm On Jun 07, 2021
Na wa ooo, is it now that she will bring this up
Re: Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse by TMKsouth: 11:06pm On Jun 07, 2021
Onyi22:
Na wa ooo, is it now that she will bring this up

I'm certain the media called her and not the other way round.
Re: Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse by Eazi1(m): 5:52am On Jun 08, 2021
TMKsouth:

Lesson to all other churches is that they should take out property and life insurance.

Your boss pays you out when you get injured at work coz he's taken out insurance, so I don't know why TBJ shouldn't compensate families who lost their loved ones inside his church. Especially because he advertised it, therefore willingly luring them to danger.
He gave them 1.5M but she rejected, some where in the readings. he even said he would double it, but rejected again, the woman
Re: Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse by TMKsouth: 6:57am On Jun 08, 2021
Eazi1:
He gave them 1.5M but she rejected, some where in the readings. he even said he would double it, but rejected again, the woman

That's not enough in South Africa, the cost of living is much higher. TBJ probably spent N1.5m on himself in just one week in SA.

1 Like

Re: Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse by Eazi1(m): 7:12am On Jun 08, 2021
TMKsouth:

That's not enough in South Africa, the cost of living is much higher. TBJ probably spent N1.5m on himself in just one week in SA.
Well, she could have sad, add more
Re: Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse by TMKsouth: 7:49am On Jun 08, 2021
Eazi1:
Well, she could have sad, add more

Some families are suing for as much as N540 million each, so his offer fell way short of their expectations.

Now that he's gone they'll go for his estate.

Re: Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse by Eazi1(m): 7:54am On Jun 08, 2021
TMKsouth:

Now that he's gone they'll go for his estate.
Really?
Re: Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse by TMKsouth: 7:57am On Jun 08, 2021
Eazi1:
Really?

Yeah, his money is still around isn't it. The church will also probably be taken over by his family, so they'll have to pay.
Re: Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse by Eazi1(m): 8:12am On Jun 08, 2021
TMKsouth:

Yeah, his money is still around isn't it. The church will also probably be taken over by his family, so they'll have to pay.
None of this would happen, depends 'n the court, in the first place, what court sues him, in Nig. or SA? S.A gov and cour can't come down here and just seize an estate? nah, and I belive Nig. woun't do that either, and besides, what were the doing while he was alive? the court proceedings and hearings I meant, now he's dead,..
Re: Devastation for South Africans Suing TB Joshua Over 2014 Church Collapse by TMKsouth: 9:02am On Jun 08, 2021
Eazi1:
None of this would happen, depends 'n the court, in the first place, what court sues him, in Nig. or SA? S.A gov and cour can't come down here and just seize an estate? nah, and I belive Nig. woun't do that either, and besides, what were the doing while he was alive? the court proceedings and hearings I meant, now he's dead,..

They are depending on international law and diplomacy - that's why it's taking long. The process began in 2016.

(1) (Reply)

Comedian Sydney Talker Signs Out From UNIBEN / Bbnaija 2021: Its Killing Me, I Can’t Take It Anymore – Maria Complain To Biggie / Ooni Still Loves Queen Naomi. Packaging A Special Gift For Her - Palace

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.