Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,633 members, 7,958,885 topics. Date: Thursday, 26 September 2024 at 06:38 AM

My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State (1789 Views)

Flight Ticket From Lagos To Abuja Is ₦143k (Picture) / What Happened To Ogun Light Rail Project, 5 Years Later? / World Wrapper Man Embarks On Marathon From Lagos To Benue. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by Nobody: 11:41am On Jun 08, 2021
As I type this, I'm stuck in Refugee Island
- a spit of shrubs and palms in the Ogun State stretch of the Lagos Lagoon.

Twenty heads ( including two children and the captain).
We are here.

Inspired by the rocking boat and the anxious chatters around me, I feel the need to share this experience.

So, let's go.

Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by zeuss: 11:47am On Jun 08, 2021
How long is the trip? Where are the points of departure and arrival?
Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by Nobody: 11:48am On Jun 08, 2021
Firstly , let me take this off my chest.

I have always been a hard man.
Built, muscled , brainy, tough and hardened to the core. But today, I confirmed the existence of something that takes no cognizance of that - Water!

Water?
No mess with am grin

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by Nobody: 11:49am On Jun 08, 2021
Now to the journey:

I had gone on a business trip to Abigi, the headquarters of Ogun Waterside LG some weeks ago.

The journey was very stressful.
A cab from Lekki to Epe.
Another one from Epe to Ijebu Ode.
A keke and a bus after , I was in Abigi.

I was utterly stressed out.
The thought of going back the same way dizzied me out.
I felt there should be a way not to go back to that road.

Na here I understand why all these politicians dey stack billions upon billions they will never use in soakaway pits.
I felt like telephoning Caverton for a swift helicopter pickup.
But na money for Keke drop dey my pocket . grin Keke kuku useless here.

" Ki la fe se bayi ?" I asked my Google assistant

Like that moment between when a police man switches from 'where is your particulars' to 'my man, carry go!', I switched moods and donned my adventure cap.

From Abigi, I took a bike to Waterside.

Like Mungo Park, na so I take discover River River Osa o. grin Haters and Colonialist will say it is Lekki Lagoon. cheesy

A small engine boat captained by smally and his brother ferried me across.

Seamless and open air goodness of 52mins.

I decided I will do it again.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by Nobody: 11:49am On Jun 08, 2021
For those who do not know, the Lekki Lagoon extends down to Ogun State.

And you can practically take a boat from Bony Camp in Lagos to anywhere in Ogun Waterside.

It will cut out stress.
It will save time.
It would ameliorate the traffic congestion on our roads.

I don't know why the government is not looking that way.

As shown in the map and on ground, the communities in both states are intertwined and inter related.

They boat across the water daily .

More should be done to aid their movements.

3 Likes

Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by Nobody: 12:23pm On Jun 08, 2021
I started today's journey from Ajah in Lekki - Epe expressway.

I took a 400naira bus to Eleko junction .

From Eleko junction, there is a park where you can get a vehicle going to anywhere around Eleko, Magbon, Akodo, Lagos free zone , Dangote Refinery, La Campagne and beyond.

The fare to Ilagbo Bus stop is 400naira.
It's a few kilometres shy of La Campagne Resort. It's adjacent Otolu primary school.

At the Bus stop, I took a bike for 200naira to Ilagbo .
Here , an old concrete platform stretches into the water to enable you hop in and out of boats seamlessly.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by Nobody: 12:44pm On Jun 08, 2021
The boats run from Ilagbo to Iwopin .

I've noted two boats.

The small one I cruised on the former week and this one that seem to be made of more and can take more.

A trip costs 500 naira.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jun 08, 2021
On the go.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by Nobody: 4:29pm On Jun 08, 2021
I've always wondered why Refugee Island go by that name.
I found out today kiss
Ten minutes into sailing, the sky suddenly clouded over. A thick cloud - inky like soot from illegal oil refineries - eclipsed the sky.
A strong wind followed.
Noah don enter our boat grin

Omo.

The breeze weigh. shocked

The Boat was fitted with Taupoline screens on both sides.
As it started to rain, the screens were pulled down sheltering us from the rain.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by Nobody: 5:12pm On Jun 08, 2021
E come be like say na there wahala start.

As the curtains were drawn, the wind intensified in its violence.
The Taupoline were fanned around so badly I felt they would be shredded in no distant time.

We started going off course.

Breeze don dey blow us .
We are literally getting 'carried away'. shocked

A cry rang out in the boat.
This time, the situation registered its severeness.

The women enjoined him to berth somewhere but dude was being stubborn.

It was all fun for me.
I was simulating how I'd boat over the Mediterranean if Buhari instruct Immigration to suspend the issuance of new passports.

Seeing the old timers that alarmed roused me from my riverie.
I began to count my teeth with my tongue. grin

There was an island a mile ahead of us.
Refugee Island, says Google.
My prayer was that we get there in one piece.

As we move towards it, omo, I approached the boat guy o.

"You go enter that place, bros. Make we park there fess," I said, scowling widely.

He got the message.
One could easily touch the terror in the air.

He did a sharp maneuver into the patch and we all breathed our relief.

I sent a string of messages to Kid bro make he know where im broda dey, incase grin

Now I'm sitted here on the return leg ready to do this again.

We are Nigerians grin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by ugsams(m): 7:40pm On Jun 08, 2021
Nice experience, I'll be happy to do this.
Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jun 08, 2021
zeuss:
How long is the trip? Where are the points of departure and arrival?

1hr on the average.

Departure : Ilagbo, Lekki LCDA

Arrival: Iwopin , Ogun Waterside
Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by zeuss: 11:04pm On Jun 08, 2021
blizard44:

1hr on the average.

Departure : Ilagbo, Lekki LCDA

Arrival: Iwopin , Ogun Waterside

At least no fear of armed robber an kidnappers.....how much is the fare pls

1 Like

Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by samuel19222(m): 12:21pm On Jun 09, 2021
nice one op, you get mind sha, omo strong man no Dey for water ooo, no life jacket shocked Alaye i hail you ooo, one day me sef go try out the adventure
Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jun 09, 2021
samuel19222:
nice one op, you get mind sha, omo strong man no Dey for water ooo, no life jacket shocked Alaye i hail you ooo, one day me sef go try out the adventure

Here na another world.

I no sure say dem don ever see Life Jacket before.

When I mentioned the absence of it -- they be like: What's that?

Wetin dem take am dey do?

grin

1 Like

Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jun 09, 2021
zeuss:

At least no fear of armed robber an kidnappers.....how much is the fare pls

Walahi.

The fare is 500 .

To and fro na 1k.
Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by Emmyk(m): 12:43pm On Jun 09, 2021
I enjoyed reading your experience. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by SKhanmi: 10:48pm On Jun 11, 2021
The fear of water ehn. Was even thinking he would show some old but at least modern crafts. Op get mind.
Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by Plut01: 12:29pm On Jun 12, 2021

Any idea how much they sell plot of Land around that place?
How populated is the refugee island?
Nice Adventure BTW......

Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by Nobody: 1:21pm On Jun 12, 2021
Plut01:

Any idea how much they sell plot of Land around that place?

How populated is the refugee island?

Nice Adventure BTW......

Absolutely no idea.

But I'll look up some real estate company in that area and furnish you their info.

There is no human activity on refugee island.

It's a vast unnoccupied jungle of palm , shrubs and marsh.
Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by wunmi590(m): 4:14pm On Jun 12, 2021
cool
Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by Tochex101(m): 6:48pm On Jun 12, 2021
blizard44:

Absolutely no idea.

But I'll look up some real estate company in that area and furnish you their info.

There is no human activity on refugee island.

It's a vast unnoccupied jungle of palm , shrubs and marsh.
Pictures my borda....... refreshing thread.
Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jun 12, 2021
I made more videos than photographs.

Wish it were possible to upload videos here.

You will understand what happened on the road to Nineveh. cheesy

Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by Nobody: 9:53pm On Jun 12, 2021
On landing in Lagos, I crossed over to the other side to take in sights of the sea.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by bastardson: 11:26pm On Jun 12, 2021
Wow… God forbid I try this
Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by otokx(m): 11:41pm On Jun 12, 2021
We have so much tourist opportunities in Nigeria.
Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by Nobody: 12:55pm On Jun 13, 2021
bastardson:
Wow… God forbid I try this

cheesy grin
Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by Nobody: 1:16pm On Jun 13, 2021
otokx:
We have so much tourist opportunities in Nigeria.

Innumerable, I must say.

Rural Lagos is in itself a beauty to behold.

My house is flanked by the lagoon to the left and a palm jungle to the right.

Every morning, as early as eight, you see monkeys dashing between palms and hopping from treetops to treetops.

Colourful snakes -- some perfectly green , some a compendium of neon , brown , matte-black and banana-yellow -- dots the landscape.

Water lizards, rock-eyed crabs, crocs and snails occasionally make their appearance.

All my mind be say : If I get money ehn, I go buy small space knack small thing here. A perfect hermitage. But developers don dey chook hole for that plan.

Estates don almost buy this Lagos Amazon finish.
Dem don plough down half of my backyard. embarassed cry

2 Likes

Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jun 13, 2021
Emmyk:
I enjoyed reading your experience. cheesy

Thanks, bro.

You will even enjoy it more if you do the trip.
Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by Emmyk(m): 5:53pm On Jun 13, 2021
blizard44:

Thanks, bro.

You will even enjoy it more if you do the trip.

Lol. My heart will be in my mouth, for the whole time onboard.
Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by Sheisenough01: 7:43pm On Jun 13, 2021
Nice one OP.

You can upload videos through YouTube.

Developers destroying the Amazon by that you mean all those Ibeju Lekki Estates?
Re: My Experience Boating From Lagos To Ogun State by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jun 13, 2021
Sheisenough01:
Nice one OP.

You can upload videos through YouTube.

Developers destroying the Amazon by that you mean all those Ibeju Lekki Estates?

Walahi.

They have levelled everywhere.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Which Is Better To Live In - USA Or UK? / Beautiful Pictures Of Yenagoa the Bayelsa Capital. / How Is Murtala Mohammed Airport Like, Anything New

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.