Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,721 members, 7,816,971 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:39 PM

Advice Migrating To The US - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Advice Migrating To The US (3520 Views)

The True Reality About Migrating To Canada!!! / Is Migrating To London Now Better Than Canada? / Migrating To Netherlands From Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice Migrating To The US by Ikea81: 12:06pm On Jun 08, 2021
Hello House,

I know this is not the right time to plan moving to the US due to all the restrictions but its something i have been thinking about lately and will want to consider if the roads are opened.

Truly, i had the opportunity to move to the US some 3-5 years back while still working with NB Plc, all my guys who applied at the time were all granted visa but i just did not see the need for it as we were well paid and i had serious travel phobia. Have left the job for another, still averagely comfortable with a family and 3kids, but right now i turned 40 i started feeling differently and wish to spend some part of my remaining life in a better place, living better, working and planning for my kids future move.

I have family in the US ( cousins) with a good standing who have been there over a decade, though we don't talk much i am planning on asking them for help for my new plan.

I just want guys who have migrated , particular at my current age leaving their family behind least for a few years till i see what its like out there, what their experience was like. Is it advisable ( i am just sick of Nigeria now sha), feel like seeing other places and living before i kpai now ( all i have done is work, work work no fun). Also, i f i decide to speak with my cousins, what kind of support will i be requesting from them.

I will appreciate many views.

Thanks.
Re: Advice Migrating To The US by Nozino: 12:26pm On Jun 08, 2021
I’m not an expert but there’s very little your cousins can do to help. On what visa do you plan on migrating?

1 Like

Re: Advice Migrating To The US by Ikea81: 12:37pm On Jun 08, 2021
Nozino:
I’m not an expert but there’s very little your cousins can do to help. On what visa do you plan on migrating?

Visiting/Tourist, but somehow i plan not to come back sooon o. lol. recently became single again, so its also motivating me to move jor go enjoy my remaining life small too. hahahaha! dont judge me o
Re: Advice Migrating To The US by ednut1(m): 12:42pm On Jun 08, 2021
Ikea81:

Visiting/Tourist, but somehow i plan not to come back sooon o. lol. recently separated from my wife last year before the lockdown and my 3kids now stay with my mother so its also motivating me to move jor go enjoy my remaining life small too. hahahaha! dont judge me o
its 50 50, you may be successful or may get busted and deported
Re: Advice Migrating To The US by Nozino: 12:44pm On Jun 08, 2021
Ikea81:

Visiting/Tourist, but somehow i plan not to come back sooon o. lol. recently separated from my wife last year before the lockdown and my 3kids now stay with my mother so its also motivating me to move jor go enjoy my remaining life small too. hahahaha! dont judge me o

I don’t think this is a good plan sir considering age and other factors. The 2ways to regularise your immigration status will be via Asylum ( which is almost impossible for Nigerians ) and marriage which isn’t really easy and age is a limiting factor.

Personally, I’d advice you consider the Express Entry route into Canada or a Ph.D program in the US or if money isn’t a problem, A M.sc program or a Ph.D program in the UK if you have a master’s degree already.
Re: Advice Migrating To The US by Ikea81: 12:47pm On Jun 08, 2021
ednut1:
its 50 50, you may be successful or may get busted and deported

50/50 is good. thats a positive percentage worth given a shot .

2 Likes

Re: Advice Migrating To The US by Ikea81: 12:50pm On Jun 08, 2021
Nozino:

I don’t think this is a good plan sir considering age and other factors. The 2ways to regularise your immigration status will be via Asylum ( which is almost impossible for Nigerians ) and marriage which isn’t really easy and age is a limiting factor.

Personally, I’d advice you consider the Express Entry route into Canada or a Ph.D program in the US or if money isn’t a problem, A M.sc program or a Ph.D program in the UK if you have a master’s degree already.

Whats the express entry route to canada like? i will do some research on it and also PHD program in US.....not a fan of the UK. no good news from there jare. I have always supported the opinion if you want to eat a frog, chop big one.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice Migrating To The US by ednut1(m): 12:50pm On Jun 08, 2021
Ikea81:

50/50 is good. thats a positive percentage worth given a shot .
i didn't mean it that way o. With the current immigration rules it is very hard. You will have to look for someone to marry. Also heard you cannot convert visiting visa while in usa anymore. You will have to travel to 9ja or some else to re enter.

1 Like

Re: Advice Migrating To The US by Nozino: 12:58pm On Jun 08, 2021
Ikea81:

Whats the express entry route to canada like? i will do some research on it and also PHD program in US.....not a fan of the UK. no good news from there jare. I have always supported the opinion if you want to eat a frog, chop big one.

Start from nairaland, the express entry thread is very active. The good think is you get PR before you leave and become a citizen in 5years time plus if at the time of getting citizenship your kids are less than 18years old, they become Canadians too.

Ph.D in the US won’t be an issue if you (I) Did well in your bachelors degree and have proven industrial experience plus good test scores (ii) if you already have a masters degree with good grade.

I only suggested the UK considering age and ease of getting Visa. Nevertheless, the UK is a viable option.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice Migrating To The US by Ikea81: 12:59pm On Jun 08, 2021
ednut1:
i didn't mean it that way o. With the current immigration rules it is very hard. You will have to look for someone to marry. Also heard you cannot convert visiting visa while in usa anymore. You will have to travel to 9ja or some else to re enter.

Thanks for this information. think you are right , a former colleague did same. got there and married a citizen and now has his stay and working. Though he made about 3 trips back and forth before finally resigning to join someone he met on the trip. To be honest he is one of my motivating factors too, telling me with discipline in 4years he have been able to save up more than what we both worked 10years for.....and believe me thats something.
Re: Advice Migrating To The US by cinammon(f): 4:30pm On Jun 08, 2021
Ikea81:

Thanks for this information. think you are right , a former colleague did same. got there and married a citizen and now has his stay and working. Though he made about 3 trips back and forth before finally resigning to join someone he met on the trip. To be honest he is one of my motivating factors too, telling me with discipline in 4years he have been able to save up more than what we both worked 10years for.....and believe me thats something.

This is a huge decision you are about to make so i will advise that you really do proper research and assessment before you take a step. That friend who is saving 10 years worth of work in 4 years may be exxagerating. The life is good outside but the cost of living is very high as well. Your friend's 4years savings might be much in Naira but may not so much over there. Your annual rent in Nigeria is likely to be about one month rent over there. This is not to say that life is not rosy abroad o, its to say that it is definitely not all too easy especially since you have kids here to cater for.

After considering all the factors involved, please opt for a LEGAL migration route. I'm not sure that with the current immigration laws you can file for spousal visa in the US and that takes some time to even process. You will also not be able to do any reputable job without a legal status. So this your plan of going on a visitor's visa (without even considering the fact that it is illegal) will most definitely rob you of your peace of mind. Overstaying your visa will affect your future visa applicaitions, it also means that you may not see your family in a very very long time because coming back home means you cant return to the states.

There are a number of countries welcoming immigrants legally, do your research and go for one that suits your goals and plans. You dont want to be dealing with immigration issues at a time when you should be living your best life.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice Migrating To The US by ednut1(m): 7:41pm On Jun 08, 2021
Ikea81:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-07/supreme-court-curbs-green-card-bids-from-temporary-residents
Re: Advice Migrating To The US by kassano22(m): 2:22am On Jun 09, 2021
Well my advice, if you can book a trip or vacation to the usa, Canada or any European country. Then do it. That experience in itself is something no oneone can take from you. You might meet a fellow vacationer and something might lead to another thing especially if you are sociable and can mingle well. There is always a possibility. Sometimes we just need to step outside our comfort zone.

3 Likes

Re: Advice Migrating To The US by Jus4c: 3:19am On Jun 09, 2021
Hello @IKea81,

Based on your profile, I would suggest you consider Canada via the student route. Considering you age, it might be a bit difficult to get an Invitation To Apply (ITA) in Express Entry except through the Provincial Nomination Program (PNP). If you have got the skill sets needed in some provinces , you can try the Express Entry, if not, you might go for a Master's program, and from there immigrate through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). As a 'family man', who wants to maintain the sanctity of marriage, not wanting anything to cause any unforeseen long separation between spouse and children, the USA might not be a better option. You may want to try the USA via the academic route but the uncertainty of getting H-1B and eventually an EB visa after the end of the academic program is the main issue here. An individual (international student ) who is still single might find it much easier to have a PR in the USA because of the more available options, but married individuals do not enjoy similar luxury. It even becomes more complicated when kids are involved.
Peace of mind is very important, and having a legal stay abroad makes life easier. I wish you well in you endeavours.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice Migrating To The US by Drenana007: 10:14pm On Jun 11, 2021
Good evening admin and everyone,
Please how can i and family enter into Canada with Canadian Express entry, i am 36 years, a teacher, had bsc. In Personnel Mgt. presently rapping up my PGDE, cos i have been teaching for quite awhile now as to professionalized and get certificated. I also intends to continue teaching. I am father two.
Please kindly counsel me on how to go about it please.

Jus4c:
Hello @IKea81,

Based on your profile, I would suggest you consider Canada via the student route. Considering you age, it might be a bit difficult to get an Invitation To Apply (ITA) in Express Entry except through the Provincial Nomination Program (PNP). If you have got the skill sets needed in some provinces , you can try the Express Entry, if not, you might go for a Master's program, and from there immigrate through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). As a 'family man', who wants to maintain the sanctity of marriage, not wanting anything to cause any unforeseen long separation between spouse and children, the USA might not be a better option. You may want to try the USA via the academic route but the uncertainty of getting H-1B and eventually an EB visa after the end of the academic program is the main issue here. An individual (international student ) who is still single might find it much easier to have a PR in the USA because of the more available options, but married individuals do not enjoy similar luxury. It even becomes more complicated when kids are involved.
Peace of mind is very important, and having a legal stay abroad makes life easier. I wish you well in you endeavours.
Re: Advice Migrating To The US by Ikea81: 4:31pm On Jun 14, 2021
Jus4c:
Hello @IKea81,

Thank you bro., very informative.
Re: Advice Migrating To The US by Ikea81: 4:36pm On Jun 14, 2021
kassano22:
Well my advice, if you can book a trip or vacation to the usa, Canada or any European country. Then do it. That experience in itself is something no oneone can take from you. You might meet a fellow vacationer and something might lead to another thing especially if you are sociable and can mingle well. There is always a possibility. Sometimes we just need to step outside our comfort zone.

This was my first intention. if for nothing least see another side of the world before i relocate to heaven. lol. Also i think i need some breather after 40 years hustle. Thats why i want to know what countries are easier to visit or rather get a visa. What will a 30 -120 day trip cost? Though i would prefer the US cos if i like the place it will be much easier to stay.

Thanks.
Re: Advice Migrating To The US by Ikea81: 4:37pm On Jun 14, 2021
cinammon:

This is a huge decision you are about to make so i will advise that you really do proper research and assessment before you take a step. That friend who is saving 10 years worth of work in 4 years may be exxagerating. The life is good outside but the cost of living is very high as well. Your friend's 4years savings might be much in Naira but may not so much over there. Your annual rent in Nigeria is likely to be about one month rent over there. This is not to say that life is not rosy abroad o, its to say that it is definitely not all too easy especially since you have kids here to cater for.

After considering all the factors involved, please opt for a LEGAL migration route. I'm not sure that with the current immigration laws you can file for spousal visa in the US and that takes some time to even process. You will also not be able to do any reputable job without a legal status. So this your plan of going on a visitor's visa (without even considering the fact that it is illegal) will most definitely rob you of your peace of mind. Overstaying your visa will affect your future visa applicaitions, it also means that you may not see your family in a very very long time because coming back home means you cant return to the states.

There are a number of countries welcoming immigrants legally, do your research and go for one that suits your goals and plans. You dont want to be dealing with immigration issues at a time when you should be living your best life.

well put. Thanks too
Re: Advice Migrating To The US by Originalsly: 11:24pm On Jun 14, 2021
My advice is to first visit. You have cousins .... they will roll out the red carpet for you... if you come to visit and return on schedule. The open door culture in Nigeria does not apply in the US .... regardless if your relative spent two years squatting in your home in Nigeria... he wouldn't allow you to squat with him for two months in the US... it's just the way it is. You need to travel and have first hand experience of life in the US before deciding to migrate permanently.... and illegally. Bear in mind.... the US is a vast country..... and there are vast differences depending on your location. Many places are very rural..... village like.... and everything to urban. Where do you intend to relocate? Visit maybe twice a year .... each time to a different region.... but the first should be New York City. For now... hold on to your job and family... after all.... family is everything.

1 Like

Re: Advice Migrating To The US by drmikeadams(m): 9:41am On Jun 15, 2021
grin grin grin nobody is going no where....let's support our country grin grin una wan japa leave us... grin

1 Like

Re: Advice Migrating To The US by kassano22(m): 5:36am On Jun 17, 2021
Very true, I will check out sites like trip advisor or Expedia. Countries in the carrebian would be your best bet in terms of getting visa once you have your hotel reservation and itinerary.
Thanks
Ikea81:

This was my first intention. if for nothing least see another side of the world before i relocate to heaven. lol. Also i think i need some breather after 40 years hustle. Thats why i want to know what countries are easier to visit or rather get a visa. What will a 30 -120 day trip cost? Though i would prefer the US cos if i like the place it will be much easier to stay.

Thanks.
Re: Advice Migrating To The US by lanrekelvin(m): 10:02am On Jun 17, 2021
Good day house,
Am kelvin
Am 16
I'm going for my usa visa interview nxt week, for my undergraduate degree,what advice do u have for me..
Pls I need help.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advice Migrating To The US by Goddyss(m): 5:04pm On Jun 17, 2021
I'll be travelling to UK through student visa. It's the easiest. After study, I will relocate to either Canada or US having made some money cuz of the 2 post graduate permit to stay.

I would advise you make UK first point of call and from there, migrate to any part of the world you so desire. The acculturation in UK will also help you adjust easily when you migrate elsewhere

1 Like

Re: Advice Migrating To The US by Yikes12: 11:45am On Jul 04, 2021
[quote author=lanrekelvin post=102808815]Good day house,
Am kelvin
Am 16
I'm going for my usa visa interview nxt week, for my undergraduate degree,what advice do u have for me..

How was your interview ?
Re: Advice Migrating To The US by tunapawizzy: 3:24pm On Jul 04, 2021
That is a good decision u intend to take. But I for say make u avoid overstaying ur visa in the US.
If you have funds, I think you should go for a 2 years masters program in Canada. This qualifies you for 3 years postgraduate work visa. That's 5 years in Canada already, u would be a permanent resident at least, before that 5 years.
Someone advised u to go for PHD in the US, be careful with PHD, it can be rigorous and if you are not interested in research, if you are not patient, if u r not passionate about it, please avoid it. What u need at this age is peace, happiness, soft life, doing what you like. If it is academics/RESEARCH THEN FINE. otherwise just do masters n move
Re: Advice Migrating To The US by Begin(m): 10:59am On Jul 06, 2021
tunapawizzy:
That is a good decision u intend to take. But I for say make u avoid overstaying ur visa in the US.
If you have funds, I think you should go for a 2 years masters program in Canada. This qualifies you for 3 years postgraduate work visa. That's 5 years in Canada already, u would be a permanent resident at least, before that 5 years.
Someone advised u to go for PHD in the US, be careful with PHD, it can be rigorous and if you are not interested in research, if you are not patient, if u r not passionate about it, please avoid it. What u need at this age is peace, happiness, soft life, doing what you like. If it is academics/RESEARCH THEN FINE. otherwise just do masters n move.
Please I want to know like how much will be required for this and will it be possible with someone that graduated with a third class degree in Economics from a Nigeria university. Thanks

(1) (Reply)

Beware Of Cannibalism Before Traveling For Greener Pasture: Find Attached / Why My US Visa Was Denied / Do I Need A Visa To Travel To Nigeria From Ghana By Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.