Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,502 members, 7,958,516 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 04:18 PM

Have You Ever Looked Directly At The Sun During A Solar Eclipse? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Have You Ever Looked Directly At The Sun During A Solar Eclipse? (350 Views)

Student Loans Will Be Disbursed Directly To Institutions – FG / Did Anyone Observe The Lunar Eclipse Last Night? / UNN Nursing Students Stand To Write Test Under The Sun (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Have You Ever Looked Directly At The Sun During A Solar Eclipse? by RubiesBanking: 7:22am On Jun 09, 2021
I have read articles talking about how looking at the sun especially during a solar eclipse can cause a permanent eye damage or a hole in your retina.

Even watched a video by a guy named Mark Thompson, who did an experiment to see what will happen to a pig eye if it viewed the sun directly. I have already attached the video of the experiment below.

WARNING...THIS IS GRAPHIC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9cMXCemoJI

I also managed to get a few comments from people who made the mistake of viewing the beauty of nature during a solar eclipse with 0% protection and how it regretted that mistake.

Sometime in the early 80's, 82 or 3 I think, there was a solar eclipse. We were TOLD, no idea who, but the rumor was that it was safe to look at it through exposed x-ray film.

So, we lined up outside Lexington hospital ER with our exposed x-ray films in hand and stared at the solar eclipse that afternoon.

It was an amazing thing to see. And when it was fully covered it got dark and very cold from the noon heat that we're used to. I remember a very very bright searing light and a flash sort of then it went away. The lights came back on and the afternoon heated back up and everything returned to normal.

Life happens and you move on. I started using readers many years ago, but no big deal. That's just part of aging.

About 10 years ago while driving I had a big brown perfectly round spot appear in my right eye. Wouldn't blink out, or go away. The left eye was ok. Pretty much freaked me out.

The next day, the optometrist examined it and the first thing he asked was am I right handed, I said I was.

The next question was 'have I ever looked at a solar eclipse?' I said yes, but that was in the early 80's. And "they" said it was safe if we used x-ray film.

He said they were wrong. Then he said you have a burn on your right retina that's perfectly round and consistent with a burn from looking at a solar eclipse. Sometimes the damage takes years to show up, in which it did in my case. Stress and aging can cause it to swell and become visible.

I was working in the cath lab and had a particularly long day and was hurrying and rushing to Lexington for a ceremony to honor Leeburn Ray Harris at the band room when it occurred.

There is nothing that can be done for it, it's irreparable. It's sort of like macular degeneration.

Over the years, the brown spot has gone away unless I get really tired, which I try to avoid because, well..I love sleep.

But my vision in my right eye is severely impacted from a rumor of what was safe. I was young and would try most anything at least once. I can still see out of it, but I only see really big letters. My left eye has accommodated to help it out.

I didn't write this from the victim standpoint because the world needs less whiny victims.

I wrote this to let everyone know to take this upcoming solar eclipse seriously; it's not play.

I have no intention of looking at it again. Don't have but one good eye so I can't lose it.

Be sure to check with an eye doctor about the safest way, if there is one, to look at this phenomenon coming up.

Just a tip.

Don't risk it.

Be safe.

Not me, but 3 friends of mine lost a bet a while back. They each had to stare at the sun for a couple of seconds. One came out okay, but the other two got some form of color blindness. It was a shame because one of the two was a successful graphic designer, but it worked out. He now asks his SO whenever he creating something if the colors are okay, and he goes on as normal

Despite all these stories on the effect of looking at the sun especially during a solar eclipse, some guys feel it's a hoax by scientists (won't blame them since they're used to hearing how eating beans and plantain is bad for your health).

An annular solar eclipse will occur on June 10, 2021, when the Moon will pass between Earth and the Sun, thereby partly obscuring the image of the Sun for a viewer on Earth

Now, my question is anyone here is suffering from an eye damage caused by looking at a solar eclipse or know someone that made the same mistake?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ceum8FGL_PQ
Re: Have You Ever Looked Directly At The Sun During A Solar Eclipse? by illicit(m): 7:58am On Jun 09, 2021
I once did

Around 2006 or so

(1) (Reply)

Unilorin Releases Graduating List / These Nigerian Universities Produced The Most Startup Founders / Here Are Some Student Job Opportunities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.