Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,360 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:29 PM

Bank A Or Bank B ??? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Bank A Or Bank B ??? (21595 Views)

State Government Work Or Bank Job / Is The US Bank A Good Place To Do Business? / Is Kuda Bank A Scam (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by harley88(m): 3:08pm On Jun 15, 2021
medropoly:
The devil you know is better than the angels you don't know. Oboi if I see work of #200k per month, I no mind the department oh. Even if na department to dey smoke Igbo. I know mind. Guy stay where you dey. Two things no dey do person oh grin

Money is very important oh, but so is peace of mind and career growth
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by shawn55ng: 3:09pm On Jun 15, 2021
Kriss216:
Please don't choose Ecobank.
grin I suspect you an x staff of ecobank.
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by bravehost4u(m): 3:12pm On Jun 15, 2021
Bank B = Access Bank from the description
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by harley88(m): 3:12pm On Jun 15, 2021
AuroraBrls:
Remain in Zenith/First Bank/GTB

Save up to 2million-5million

Quit everything Banking

Start a business

Don't join Access Bank/UBA

Don't join any other Bank

Lmao, the two banks you listed not to join are the two involved

1 Like

Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by oluwaahmed: 3:16pm On Jun 15, 2021
Springboot:

It depends on whs Bank B has to offer, I'm speaking from experience, Zenith bank can keep you in that department for 8 years with no salary increment or change of department, same boring thing everyday.

I won't advice a friend to leave 2 years work experience for unconfirmed ET. Its never a win. Fùck outa zenith when u have 2 years complete experience. Fellow tier 1s like Access, GTB, FBN and Stanbic will give you next level. Enter any branches of those banks, meet the RM or ops head so when they recruiting experienced hire dey inform you.

1 Like

Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by harley88(m): 3:17pm On Jun 15, 2021
being:
Of course you said it yourself how are you sure when you get to the new bank, you won't be sent to the branch which you know is worse. And you should know in access bank, your stress levels is much higher than in other banks. The car incentive you are talking about is a liability trap.
In access bank, you can easily drop from TS due to various flimsy reasons. You would also need to look for millions worth of deposit before you have an offer.
Just know you don't want to go to access esp not to go and start over in a branch (sic) . STAY PUT in your UBA & look for opportunities to other banks at higher level or other departments. Common don't be foolish and be wicked to yourself.

You must be a UBA staff to know Bank A is UBA. Thanks, I’d most likely be staying with Bank A

4 Likes

Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by donpeluchi(m): 3:17pm On Jun 15, 2021
What is your current department and what department do you want to switch to?
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by harley88(m): 3:18pm On Jun 15, 2021
famopompy:
Hello, I am a banker. The fact is, irrespective of the department you are, just relax and grow. 20 months experience is too valid to just throw away when you use another 6 - 8 months and get ABO in another bank. Bro, don't accept it. I know the bank that comes with the Car is Access and the truth is the banking School is so tough. Don't jeopardize your job to start as entry level again.

Thanks, Bank A it Is
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by harley88(m): 3:19pm On Jun 15, 2021
OSCARTM:

Key rules in Nigeria banking industry.........

Never do a parallel grade movement between banks, always take at least a grade higher at the next bank with significant pay rise;

Never stay more than 3yrs in a bank except promotion/notches is guaranteed like Stanbic IBTC & Providus Bank currently, where you get promoted at least once in 3yrs, if your performance is good;

If you are not in Treasury/E-Business/IT related roles, keep moving to other banks to rise through the ladder(that ladder is now like civil service);

Don't be afraid to take up opportunities in "small banks" due to perceived job security in "Big Banks", I'm sure Diamond Bank has taught a lot of bankers a good lesson;

Operations Staff both at branches and HQ are the most vulnerable, don't be comfortable in such unit.

My Advice...........

Stay in bank A; identify, write professional exams & learn skills that are relevant in banking (especially in the units I mentioned above) if you desire to continue your career in banking industry. Banking is sweet if you are in roles that are in high demand, you can easily rise to a managerial position in few years.

Bank B will make you sign a bond of at least 3yrs for that car(most likely a new Kia Rio), you will have to pay the prorated balance whenever you are leaving before the end of the bond period. If you have to move to Bank B, it should be as an experience hire.

Now is the time to acquire skills that can easily get you to SBO before 30yrs of age. Invest in yourself now & you'll be glad you did in few years to come.

Cheers.

Thanks a lot, I guess with some certifications, I’d get a better experience hire role
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by xavuv: 3:22pm On Jun 15, 2021
Stay put. Don't move an inch
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by Realestatevixen: 3:29pm On Jun 15, 2021
Please don't resign and go to Access bank training school. I am speaking from personal experience. My younger sister left UBA(After one month of resumption though) and went to Access bank. One month before their graduation, she was asked to withdraw because she had written up to 5 resits.

My younger sister almost went into depression because she missed KPMG interview and other better offers due to the stress of their so called school of banking excellence.

She is in another bank now though, and doing very well to the glory of God.

I repeat, dont go to Access bank training school. You are not guaranteed employment o. It might end up being a waste of 4 months of your life. Stay where you are please, and keep pushing for a change of unit.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by SmartyPants(m): 3:31pm On Jun 15, 2021
harley88:
Hi guys,

Pls I need the advice of the public here.
I have been an ET with bank A for about 20 months now at the bank’s head office in a department I don’t like and that doesn’t have a career path. So I’d basically be doing the same thing for years to come. The pay is basically 200k which is quite comfortable monthly. I have tried changing departments within the bank all to no avail. I want to leave the Dept asap so I don’t get stuck there due to age. I’d be 25 later this year.

I started the Entry level recruitment for Bank B a month ago, maybe to start again as an ET probably in a better department with a better career outlook. Right now, I am almost into Bank B’s training school. Bank B pays lower than Bank A, but comes with better perks such as a car. But I’m worried about having to start again and lose 20 months of work experience. The issue is I’d have to be in Training school for some months and collect about 25% of my current salary monthly until TS is over. Also, I don’t know what Dept I’d be posted to assuming I take the Bank B job offer.

What advise can you give me pls?? Also note both banks are in the top four banks in the country.

Should i remain in Bank A and keep trying a change of department or a change of Bank as an experienced hire which is a very slim chance

Or

I take the ET job and start all over from Training school in bank B

Stay in A and move after some years as an experienced hire.
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by oluwaahmed: 3:32pm On Jun 15, 2021
DUNKA:
from ET to SBO in 5 years (he is now 25 years)? Not possible now. Let us reason ET,ABO,BO then SBO. That is assuming there is not another step between ET and ABO. Except his papa na the MD he can never make SBO in 5 years grin

You can't even see SBO in 10 years now if you in 1 bank no matter the qualification. If any1 can grow like that he would have left banking. Eg. The owner of flutterwave worked in access for 2 years before starting flutterwave. He's the type of guy that can rise quickly under 5 years because he pioneered payment by scanning barcode in the industry under access before guys like payattitude entered the system.

1 Like

Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by belovez(m): 3:34pm On Jun 15, 2021
DUNKA:
Banking sector Whether Bank A or Bank B just keep it in mind that you never get job yet and keep on searching for another sector. May God keep you safe from vampires in fancy suits grin

Bros. You are wicked grin grin grin
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by belovez(m): 3:36pm On Jun 15, 2021
harley88:
Hi guys,

I have been an ET with bank A for about 20 months now at the bank’s head office in a department I don’t like and that doesn’t have a career path. So I’d basically be doing the same thing for years to come. The pay is basically 200k which is quite comfortable monthly. I have tried changing departments within the bank all to no avail. I want to leave the Dept asap so I don’t get stuck there due to age. I’d be 25 later this year.

I started the Entry level recruitment for Bank B a month ago, maybe to start again as an ET probably in a better department with a better career outlook. Right now, I am almost into Bank B’s training school. Bank B pays lower than Bank A, but comes with better perks such as a car. But I’m worried about having to start again and lose 20 months of work experience. The issue is I’d have to be in Training school for some months and collect about 25% of my current salary monthly until TS is over. Also, I don’t know what Dept I’d be posted to assuming I take the Bank B job offer.

What advise can you give me pls?? Also note both banks are in the top four banks in the country.

Should i remain in Bank A and keep trying a change of department or a change of Bank as an experienced hire which is a very slim chance

Or

Stay in bank A, save money and find your way to Canada next year.
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by deucelaw: 3:45pm On Jun 15, 2021
1) Look for a trust worthy experienced superior in both banks to advise you.

2) Do independent research on long term career progression, Career development, welfare and ambition for both banks

3) use information from A and B above to make your decision.
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by Sechee(f): 3:52pm On Jun 15, 2021
Basicend:
The guy is in GT bank and wants to switch to Access Bank.

Contend me if am wrong. It's obvious.

Lol, Bank A is UBA while bank B is Access Bank

1 Like

Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by Sechee(f): 3:54pm On Jun 15, 2021
Realestatevixen:
Please don't resign and go to Access bank training school. I am speaking from personal experience. My younger sister left UBA(After one month of resumption though) and went to Access bank. One month before their graduation, she was asked to withdraw because she had written up to 5 resits.

My younger sister almost went into depression because she missed KPMG interview and other better offers due to the stress of their so called school of banking excellence.

She is in another bank now though, and doing very well to the glory of God.

I repeat, dont go to Access bank training school. You are not guaranteed employment o. It might end up being a waste of 4 months of your life. Stay where you are please, and keep pushing for a change of unit.

So apt
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by ennyj01(m): 3:54pm On Jun 15, 2021
OP I won't really advise you to leave Bank A (UBA)

Same mistake I did November 2019, I left UBA (full time role at the head office) just after two months for an investment bank..

Along the line I lost the investment bank job because I could not meet up with the cutoff mark of the investment bank training school.

Assuming I made my post public the way you just did, maybe by now I will still be a staff of UBA because I would have gotten advise from people with more experience in the industry.

Then I was swayed by the offer letter, I could not imagine myself at 25 earning 3 million plus per annum.. I gave just a day notice because I was like anything that wanna happen let it happen.

Also I want you to know the facilitators who handles Access bank training school are the same facilitators that handles the investment bank I went to and they kept mentioning during the training school that access bank is the hardest of them all.

Please remain in bank A, if not for anything but because of my own experience I just shared. THANK YOU.

8 Likes

Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by Sechee(f): 3:58pm On Jun 15, 2021
famopompy:
Hello, I am a banker. The fact is, irrespective of the department you are, just relax and grow. 20 months experience is too valid to just throw away when you use another 6 - 8 months and get ABO in another bank. Bro, don't accept it. I know the bank that comes with the Car is Access and the truth is the banking School is so tough. Don't jeopardize your job to start as entry level again.

You're on point
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by michaelo2(m): 4:00pm On Jun 15, 2021
harley88:
Hi guys,

Or

I know bank B is access bank, oga run, u see the perks of car, it comes with its own T and C
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by AuroraBrls: 4:04pm On Jun 15, 2021
harley88:

Lmao, the two banks you listed not to join are the two involved

Banking work doesn't get better than FBN, ZENITH, UBA benefitwise...others na catch-up

Nigerian Banking work is often a waste of your precise time and future, especially as an operations person, especially if you don't have Strong Godfather in the system where you can grow quickly.

It's the only sector of the economy where the workers are squeezed out 100%. If all the Zenith and GTB staff are suddenly made to run NNPC and NPA, efficiency will be 100% top notch. Those bank workers soak pressure faster than a mopping stick soaks water, esp the operators. Fast paced, highly regimented, with very high pressure threshold especially in sales. The sales people see the operations people as inferiors, dog eat dog atmosphere, gang ups, cliques, set ups yakpa.

Leave banking on time and seek career path in humane futuristic places like Nigerian Breweries, Oil&Gas, NPA, NNPC, NCC, etc.

Set up a biz and grow your own firm if you have the cash

3 Likes

Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by NonsoNna(m): 4:05pm On Jun 15, 2021
Well,i hate bank jobs.had to quit my job with UBA earlier this year because of stress and no time for yourself,accumulation of work.mehn it aren't easy. Thank God i gat a job in a big engineering firm. So my advice for u is, stick with bank A and forget about bank B. but dont feel comfortable with the banking job,develop urself further and look for other better and exciting jobs abroad. That's just the path i followed.

2 Likes

Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by tranxo(m): 4:12pm On Jun 15, 2021
harley88:

Hmm, don’t think I want to start any business in Nigeria of today. maybe until situation of things improve
Car perk for an ET? Official car abi car loan?
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by olamoses75(m): 4:19pm On Jun 15, 2021
harley88:
Hi guys,

Or

25, and already earning 200k monthly. God when?�
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by waleski(m): 4:28pm On Jun 15, 2021
You are in a privileged position and you don't even know it. U are not working in a branch where there is madness, You're at the HQ where even though the work is much, you can at least plan your life. Everyone here has given you the best advice. Speak to an older person in the bank, Find a career path for yourself. When you pile yourself with the needed certifications, you will make a compelling case for movement in departments. My fellow training school banking mate in UBA then resumed as the PA for one of the UBA Africa CEOs. He knew it wasn't the path for him so he put his head down, targeted IT risk and security dept, did the relevant certifications, moved to IT risk and in two years he left UBA to a better place as an ABO and then left the country. The point is: Make your own career trajectory and don't ever get comfortable taking bathroom selfies and elevator selfies in suit.
Ex UBA staff in Fintech.

5 Likes

Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by DenreleDave(m): 4:32pm On Jun 15, 2021
harley88:

Thanks a lot, I guess with some certifications, I’d get a better experience hire role

Bro pls kindly check your mail
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jun 15, 2021
byteem:
Say no more Bank b is access ..if u know whats good for u better run.. the car is a trap.. bloody car rio that has no second-hand value which u pay for five years

Is that why there are hundreds of rios outside their headoffice shocked shocked
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by Jokkarm2: 4:44pm On Jun 15, 2021
Bro stay where you are, save up and plan and disappear to obodo ndi ocha
Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by adebwalex(m): 4:57pm On Jun 15, 2021
harley88:
Hi guys,

Or

Bros I know say na ACCESS BANK be the bank B. Because na them they employ young people like you with a small KIA CAR given along as their ET. Working with access bank means you have to devote all your life to the bank. No break. Meeting upon meetings. You may be lucky if you work diligently to earn quick promotion after 3years... If you are to chose Access Bank just have it at the back of your mind that you will work like Workaholic. grin grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by Tnoni: 5:05pm On Jun 15, 2021
Bank B is Access Bank. Lol. I know. The issue here is this, in Access bank I don’t know about now, but at least 4 or 5 years ago, if you are asked to bring 300m with the promises of getting promoted, immediately you are moving the money from wherever it is, you would be asked to go to HR to collect your promotion letter. Meaning promotion could be rapid, in my time there there are a lot of young boys and girls that made manager,sm and agm, all by meeting their targets. But take note that the department you claim you don’t like or don’t have carrier part is your thinking... I worked on the head office and was later transferred to a branch, even though I am still a head office staff, I was the branch staff, the branch was housing me, I can tell you, it’s different. A lot of things to learn and if you start as an ET from the head office, your colleagues in branches don’t know half of the things you already know, in fact there are some things that they don’t know it’s possible to do and you know it’s doable. Head office allowes you to show your smartness, and you don’t even need to be street smart. Don’t loose the experience bro! If in another 6 months you havnt been promoted, move to another bank, or if in 6 months you get promoted, still move to another bank, by that time you must have taken 2 steps forward

2 Likes

Re: Bank A Or Bank B ??? by Swimcsh: 5:06pm On Jun 15, 2021
Bank A: zenith bank B: Access bank.

If you know you know

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Skye Bank Sacks 175 / How Much Do Entry Level Lab Technologist In Fed Unis Earn? / Why Do Narcissist Get Angry When You Decide To Resign From Their Company

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.