Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,155 members, 7,821,931 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen (1719 Views)

Police Killed Chigozie Nwaiwu & Labelled Him IPOB Leader To Cover Up - SR / Alarm;nigerian Soldiers Killed Absu Students, And Tagged Them Ugm / Shiites: Police Killed 11 Of Our Members, Injured 30 (Graphic Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by Fweshest3: 12:25am On Jun 10, 2021
Source: How Police Killed Over 100 in Abia Tagged Unknown Gunmen; Relatives Cry for Justice .

Contrary to the claim by Abia State Police Command, the eight boys its men killed were not members of the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and Eastern Security Network (ESN), eyewitnesses, investigations and parents accounts revealed.

After the Saturday (May 29) evening attack by unknown gunmen on SCID, the Abia State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Geoffrey Ogbonna, on Sunday, paraded eight corpses he claimed were bodies of the IPOB/ESN members killed by his men during a gun duel.

He said the attackers stormed the police formation at about 6pm on Saturday, shooting arbitrarily, leading to the death of two inspectors of police.

“Reinforcement from the command headquarters added to the fierce engagement with men on the ground saw eight of the hoodlums neutralised and killed,” the PPRO told newsmen during the press briefing.

However, an investigation by The Realm News and accounts from multiple sources including the parents of some of the victims indicted the police for extrajudicial killing.

“They were boys the military forcefully abducted from their homes and on the streets few hours after the attack on SCID Umuagu, Umuahia, and handed over to the police for proper investigation,” an eye-witness who identified himself as Mr Uche said. He said on the day of the attack on SCID, the boys, numbering 50, wearing all sort of charms and half nude invaded the police formation and chased the officers away.

“On sighting them, the police officers on duty abandoned their duty posts and weapons and fled the police station from all corners.

“They operated freely for about 15 minutes and even encouraged people to snap and video them,” he said.

He added, “they did not take anything from the police station. They only burnt it down and killed one of their members for stealing money from the police front desk. The police never engaged them in any shootout.”

Another eyewitness, a trader at Ubani market, who identified himself as Ogechuhwu, corroborated the account of Mr Uche. He said people wanted to run away when the gunmen started shooting but they (gunmen) encouraged them to remain calm.

“They moved to and fro the road severally and after a while, they stopped a Toyota Hilux pickup van and told the driver where to go and recover his van.

“Except for one of their members they killed for flouting their law, the rest boarded the Hilux van and zoomed off en route Umuahia main town. There was no exchange of gunfire between them and the police,” he said.

Reliving the incident that led to the extrajudicial killing of his son Mr Obinna Ejekwu and his younger sister’s son Mr Onyebuchi Amadi by the police to The Realm News crew who visited his plot 5 Rivers lane Ugwunchara resident, the inconsolable bereaved father Mr Nicholas Ejekwu, 69, said thus:

“I was in front of my compound when we started hearing gunshots. People ran towards our house and stayed here for safety. After the shooting stopped, some soldiers came in the direction of our house. When those taking refuge at the front of the house saw the soldiers, they began running away via our backyard.

“The soldiers asked what I was doing outside and I told them that this is my house. They shouted at me to get up from here. So, I stood up and entered my room. The soldiers later entered my house via the backyard, broke the doors and took my sons and other family members outside and ordered them to lie on the floor.

He said they forced everybody, including women and children, to lie face down on the floor and after subjecting them to several inhumane treatments, took away his two sons.

“They later separated my sons from the rest and took them away. Afterwards, we later heard that they kept them at City Base filling station situated at Ugwunchara road. Around midnight, the army called the police and handed my children and others they picked on the road to them and they took them away,” he said.

The bereaved father said one of the staff of the filling station who watched the scene from his office where he was hiding said the soldiers told the police that they picked his children from their house and the rest on the street.

“The filling station staff told us that he overheard the soldiers tell the police to detain them for proper investigation. But the police ignored this order, killed my children and the others and claimed the next day that they were the unknown gunmen killed in a gun battle,” he said.

He added, “I don’t know why they (soldiers) came to my house. Obinna, one of my sons that they killed, had a wife and three little children. He was a printer and had a shop at Warri street by Niger road in Umuahia. His younger brother Onyebuchi was a tailor. They were not problematic. I don’t know why the police would kill them without investigation.”

The uncles and auntie of the slain boys, Chief Nwabuisi Ejekwu, Paul Ejekwu, Agu Eze Ben Ezeonu and Mrs Ngozi Nwachukwu corroborated the narration of the bereaved father.

According to them, the soldiers kicked down the doors with their legs and forced everyone outside.

“They brought us all out and made us lie on the ground in front of our house. After a few minutes, they picked my nephews who just came back from work and one man that was also coming back home and left,” teary Mrs Nwachukwu said.

She said Onyebuchi was her younger sister’s son while Obinna’s father is her eldest brother. According to her, all efforts to locate them proved abortive until Sunday when they saw their corpses with others paraded by the police as the unknown gunmen.

“My sister and Obinna’s wife went to CPS early on Sunday morning, but the police didn’t allow them to enter. They even flogged them for trying to enquire about the whereabouts of her son.

“Obinna wore a wine-coloured long sleeves flowered shirt and blue jean trousers because he just came back from work while Onyebuchi, because he was in the house resting when the soldiers broke into his room, wore white knickers.

“We were surprised when we saw their lifeless bodies. They had changed Onyebuchi’s white knickers to black with charcoal robbed all over his body. Obinna’s blue jeans had also turned to black. I believe the police did that to make them look like the so-called unknown gunmen.”

The uncle of the slain boys, Chief Nwabuisi Ejekwu, said when he heard about the incident on Saturday night, he called Obinna at about 10:56pm and he picked but sounded distressed.

“He told me that they were at City Base filling station with soldiers. I called him again by 11pm to ask what was happening but his phone was switched off.

“We began looking for them on Sunday because people that watched what happened from their living rooms told us that by midnight, the army called the police and handed the arrested individuals to them. That was why we started going from one police station to another.

“On Monday morning, between 10 and 11am, we saw our nephews on the internet. They had killed them. We rushed to the Federal Medical Centre (FMC), Umuahia and saw where they dumped their corpses in front of the mortuary.

“We even found the keys to Mr Obinna’s shop inside his jeans trousers. The mortuary attendant told us to write the government for approval before we can claim their bodies.

When The Realm News crews visited, Mr Obinna’s printing shop at 39, Warri street by Niger road, his dumbfounded neighbours were seen laying curses on the police for killing a young industrious father and tagging him one of the unknown gunmen.

“We all attended the wedding of one of us and later came back to the shop. It was not quite long after we left to our various homes that the pandemonium broke out. We were surprised when we saw his lifeless body on the internet.

“At first, we thought he was killed by a stray bullet. It was very embarrassing for the police to kill Obinna and tag him an unknown gunmen.

“Obinna was a quiet young man. He didn’t deserve such a cruel death from the police that ought to protect him,” one of his neighbours said.

Repeated calls put across to the state PPRO proved abortive.

Multiple sources told The Realm News that the police have killed over 100 young men in Abia state in the past few weeks, tagging them unknown gunmen.

Similar killings triggered EndSARS protests in 2020 and led to the dissolution of the infamous Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) but there is nothing to indicate that the police have abandoned their old ways.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by Armaggedon: 12:37am On Jun 10, 2021
Damn!
Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by goatgoat093: 12:40am On Jun 10, 2021
However, an investigation by The Realm News and accounts from multiple sources including the parents of some of the victims indicted the police for extrajudicial killing.

They were boys the military forcefully abducted from their homes and on the streets few hours after the attack on SCID Umuagu, Umuahia, and handed over to the police for proper investigation,” an eye-witness who identified himself as Mr Uche said. He said on the day of the attack on SCID, the boys, numbering 50, wearing all sort of charms and half nude invaded the police formation and chased the officers away.

On sighting them, the police officers on duty abandoned their duty posts and weapons and fled the police station from all corners.

“They operated freely for about 15 minutes and even encouraged people to snap and video them,” he said.

He added, “they did not take anything from the police station. They only burnt it down and killed one of their members for stealing money from the police front desk. The police never engaged them in any shootout.

This detailed report goes to confirm that majority of the "UGM" that the cowards in uniform have paraded in their photo ops are actually defenceless youths picked up randomly and brutally executed... it's easy to decipher this disturbing fact from the way they arrange the dead bodies of the "slain UGM"... The bodies all typically have their trousers pulled down and some makeshift "charms" and amulets put on their body, on several occasions we've seen the bodies of very well dressed men paraded as UGM... the UGM we've seen on several videos definitely don't dress up like they are going to church. More facts are now been revealed on what those bastards are doing to young men in the East instead of facing their fellow armed opponents.

11 Likes

Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by Nobody: 12:49am On Jun 10, 2021
Whatever is happening is well deserved.

Thought lots were clapping for UGM/IPOB?

This was much expected and not shocking.

The count is even small. Just 100

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by KRSWon: 12:50am On Jun 10, 2021
Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by IGBOSON1: 12:55am On Jun 10, 2021
I keep on saying it....it's our useless governors that is giving Buhari the temerity to carry on with all these extra-judicial murder of Igbo youth! Abia has a governor, yet he's saying nothing! Only IPOB and Mazi Kanu is speaking up for us...the murderous Buhari gov't knows this, and this is why they have tried to silence their voice on all gov't media in the country so it's only the Fulani gov't of Buhari that gets to churn out all sorts of lies and pass them off as 'factual news'!

Two days ago, i noticed Mr Aniagolu say on his programme THE INTERVIEW on Arise TV, that they were going to hear the IPOB side of the story (this was to be at the second half of the show). You know what happened? I suspect someone from Lie Mohammeds' office contacted and threatened them because in the second half, Mr Aniagolu suddenly dissappeared and instead they showed a repeat of the interview they had with the Lagos state governor earlier in the morning!

Only Igbo hating fools, that have sacrificed their good conscience for ethno-religious reasons would swallow all these lies being churned out from the Lie Mohammed/DSS/army propaganda mill!

5 Likes

Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by Kokadomfreedom(m): 12:56am On Jun 10, 2021
SARSCoV2:
receive sense abeg. waka

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by Nigeriadondie: 4:11am On Jun 10, 2021
SARSCoV2:

Heartless animals with undeserved access to the internet.

2 Likes

Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by immortal2: 4:29am On Jun 10, 2021
The people should be defend themselves from the ongoing genocide. The governors should be held responsible and made to pay for all these.

1 Like

Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by MadamExcellency: 4:46am On Jun 10, 2021

He added, “they did not take anything from the police station. They only burnt it down and killed one of their members for stealing money from the police front desk. The police never engaged them in any shootout.”

The above is the common denominator.

Instead of investigations and working with the locals, police is resorting to genocide as a form of retribution.

Shame on then.
Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by Ckonnet: 6:14am On Jun 10, 2021
Police is so useless, that's why they keep alienating them. Imagine the other siblings taking up arms to avenge the death of their brothers.

1 Like

Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by Monogamy: 6:17am On Jun 10, 2021
Over 100 and nobody is shouting massacre.

Indeed, hypocrisy stinks more than rotten eggs

1 Like

Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by IgweOfNnewi: 6:27am On Jun 10, 2021
ok
Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by gidgiddy: 6:37am On Jun 10, 2021
Many of those paraded as unknown gunmen were random civilians that were arrested and extra-judicially killed by either the police or Army.

Next thing security forces do is to get weapons they have recovered from criminals in past operations, place it on the body, and tell the whole world it is unknown gunmen

2 Likes

Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by Nobody: 6:38am On Jun 10, 2021
SARSCoV2:

Your family especially the one you depend on to survive will be a victim of police brutality and I pray they don’t make it out alive.

3 Likes

Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by Princesaha: 7:07am On Jun 10, 2021
Those of us in Abia said this and even shouted to high heavens but some BMCs here shouted us down. Let me say this again here, 98 percent of the so-called Unknown Gunmen killed by the Police are innocent Civilians. At least by now, you should have known that many innocent people have been deliberately killed by the police just to appear strong to the public. In most of the Gunmen attacks, the police and even the military hardly engage them in a shootout. They operate freely and go only for us to start seeing dead bodies later. That was they went and killed innocent persons and claimed that they were those that killed Gulak just to impress the Public no knowing that someone saw them. Tomorrow some people will start asking why we have UGM. Mind you, they have been doing this rubbish all these years secretly in Igboland which led to the formation of UGM. But at the end, they will regret this.

5 Likes

Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by RZArecta(m): 7:18am On Jun 10, 2021
SARSCoV2:

you're celebrating the deaths of innocent people, most likely you've never been anywhere near the SE of which I can tell you most Igbos just want to live their lives and take care of their families without Nnamdi Kanu or FG's wahala. For this your insensitivity, may extrajudicial killings be the portion of your family and may you be a victim also in Jesus name amen.

3 Likes

Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by Brimstone77: 7:20am On Jun 10, 2021
SARSCoV2:

it well deserve abi??

Ok na...no come cry foul when it befalls you.
Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by Asquare84(m): 7:28am On Jun 10, 2021
Collateral damages
Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by Monogamy: 7:31am On Jun 10, 2021
RZArecta:
you're celebrating the deaths of innocent people, most likely you've never been anywhere near the SE of which I can tell you most Igbos just want to live their lives and take care of their families without Nnamdi Kanu or FG's wahala. For this your insensitivity, may extrajudicial killings be the portion of your family and may you be a victim also in Jesus name amen.

You people should stop this emotional blackmailing as it's no longer working. When people were warning about the activities of UGM, they were called different names including sane Igbos that are against UGM cos they knew the aftermath of the madness won't be good.

Save that your prayers to sheepishs
Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by mrvitalis(m): 7:32am On Jun 10, 2021
SARSCoV2:

E go reach your family last last just chill

1 Like

Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by RZArecta(m): 7:34am On Jun 10, 2021
Monogamy:

[s]You people should stop this emotional blackmailing as it's no longer working. When people were warning about the activities of UGM, they were called different names including sane Igbos that are against UGM cos they knew the aftermath of the madness won't be good.

Save that your prayers to sheepishs[/s]

1 Like

Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by Nobody: 7:36am On Jun 10, 2021
Blame Nnamdi kanu and leave police. He said every igbo must die for him to get biafra.,......so other people he included in that map are special people that doeesn't deserve to die..
Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by mrvitalis(m): 7:37am On Jun 10, 2021
Monogamy:

You people should stop this emotional blackmailing as it's no longer working. When people were warning about the activities of UGM, they were called different names including sane Igbos that are against UGM cos they knew the aftermath of the madness won't be good.

Save that your prayers to sheepishs
Igbos support unknown gunmen for reasons like this

Soon you go see woman way police killed her only son and would poison a whole police or army unit

2 Likes

Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by Monogamy: 7:39am On Jun 10, 2021
mrvitalis:

Soon you go see woman way police killed her only son and would poison a whole police or army unit

And those Police officers don't have relatives right?

Imagine reckless talk
Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by ThatFairGuy: 7:41am On Jun 10, 2021
This is what senseless Nnamdi Kanu has brought to his people.
Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by Monogamy: 7:46am On Jun 10, 2021
ThatFairGuy:
This is what senseless Nnamdi Kanu has brought to his people.

You people should stop blaming Kanu... If those people have also been making use of their free gifted senses, they wouldn't have allowed Kanu to brain wash them to this extent.

To Kanu, he thinks he can use the killing to blackmail FG but Igbos already shot themselves on the foot with the attacks on security operatives, reason why the UK asylum grant is currently being reviewed if not suspended self
Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by mrvitalis(m): 7:46am On Jun 10, 2021
Monogamy:

Imagine reckless talk
Who started the Killing ? ....since u want to be smart

People revenged for evil done to them u decided to do more evil

Why don't police just kill anyone in north since northerners kill police n army too
Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by eastOFwest(m): 7:50am On Jun 10, 2021
Monogamy:

Imagine reckless talk

Absolute rubbish. Why are the police and military not going to towns and villages in the North East to pick up and kill innocent civilians?

This is the reason why Nigeria is going down, because of people who reason like you. So it's a valid security tactic to kill innocent civilians "because they supported criminals". The more the criminals operate, the more you kill innocent civilians? And what is the intention here? That the criminals will feel guilty about the innocent killed and stop? Or that the civilians will be pressured into yielding the criminals up to the security forces? Where in the world has this worked? If its such and effective tool then why not use it in the North against Bandits and Boko Haram?

1 Like

Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by Monogamy: 7:50am On Jun 10, 2021
mrvitalis:

Who started the Killing ? ....since u want to be smart

People revenged for evil done to them u decided to do more evil

Why don't police just kill anyone in north since northerners kill police n army too

Who started the killing? Did police just wake up and started killing people? Who started the attacking? Police or Ipob?

Even though I am not justifying the killing, but Ipob can do all in the name of freedom of speech, freedom to protest and create anarchy state.
Re: How Police Killed Over 100 In Abia, Tagged Them Unknown Gunmen by mrvitalis(m): 7:53am On Jun 10, 2021
Monogamy:

Who started the killing? Did police just wake up and started killing people? Who started the attacking? Police or Ipob?

Even though I am not justifying the killing, but Ipob can do all in the name of freedom of speech, freedom to protest and create anarchy state.

This killing started around 2015 ipob were protesting ... people here were happy saying use them for shooting practice n so on

U want to claim u don't remember ? Yes police just woke up n started killing

(1) (2) (Reply)

IPOB sit at Home flops in Enugu, every shop is open (pictures and videos) / There’s Sit-at-home On Thursday To Honour Nnamdi Kanu’s Court Trial – IPOB / BREAKING!!! 2023: PDP National Secretary, NWC Members Visit Orji Kalu (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.