Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,762 members, 7,820,652 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:51 PM

The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria (8519 Views)

APC Blast PDP:'A Party That Can't Even Spell Its Name Wants 2 Save Nigeria'(pics / Two Ministers That Can Save Nigeria. / Kaduna Refinery To Save Nigeria $5.33 Million Daily (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by chino11(m): 11:47am On May 05, 2011
tyrant11:

look at this bleeping dirty cannibal talking. before the british came to Nigeria what were u what did u accomplish. bleep u and bleep your tribe. yorubas dont need you to survive . Igbos have also stolen a great deal from the national kitty . after all , ojo maduekwe , walter ofonagoro and co were all igbo. and stop worrying about the development in yoruba land . lagos is far more developed than your bleeping villages in the east. most of our development in south west goes to lagos. u worry about building your own land and stop worrying about what is in the south west.

pack your bags and go back east homeless naughty person.

and tell all your poor igbo folks to get out of the south west, they are the ones increasing the poverty rate.

You guys are really despicable and pathetic. Why not osogbo, ibadn, akure and all those crap and rural state capitals in the south west?? Every time they will mention lagos, you guys should be ashamed yourselves. Is lagos your home state of origin? Even though lagos is not liveable, its dirty and harzard all over the place. Lagos was built over 70yrs ago by the FG. What has the SW done to develop other SW states, just like the SE states are doing? Dirty people wey dey shit inside bedroom. lmao
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:38pm On May 05, 2011
Justcash:

^^^^^^^

Your explanation is a true reflection of the problem we are having in Nigeria. You are trying so hard to fake up the reality on ground.

I think that applies more to you than to me.

You said Nigeria was categorised to reflect cultural differences,

Between the north and the south. Why do you twist other people's words?

Why are Igbos still in Rivers state and Delta state that are surpposed to be your so called "South South region?".

What does that have to do with anything that I said? You should direct this question to Ekwueme and the other Igbos who came up with the idea of south south. As I said before, they are still alive. The reality is that the vast majority of the SS is not Igbo and I never said SS was a cultural zone. It's a political zone consisting mainly of minorities.

You seem to miss the fact that Lagos, Ogun etc has nothing to do with the South. They are all completely in the West.

"Fact"?

I've said it before: south is as contrasted with north.

By your reasoning, why should Anambra, Enugu, and Ebonyi be considered "south"? Using your logic, they aren't at the actual southern part of the country (since you claim the Southwestern states are not in the south).

Why should they be called South West.

Because honest people realize that they are in the south of the county (as opposed to the north) both geographically and in terms of culture, lifestyle, etc.  West merely indicates what side of the Niger river they are on.

On another hand, dividing Nigeria to reflect cultural differences indicates that Nigeria is a farce from day one. Why must regions be divided according to ethnic affiliation even when we claim to be one?

It's true that Nigeria, as a country, should never have existed. This is something we can agree on.

Well, your point of view is a complete deviation from the issue at hand. My point in this post is that Northerners and Westerners dominated Nigerian politics for many years, and have achieved nothing. They have brought about no progress. They have failed Nigeria. The little strides that Nigeria has made are the direct handwork of Easterners (As geographically categorized before the war). Easterners must be given more chance to lead and steer Nigeria to greatness, because they seem to have more capability to do so.

That's your opinion. I'm not interested in arguing for or against one man's spurious assertions. I won't engage you further because you seem highly irrational ("East-West"? "West-East"? "West-South"? easily some of the silliest stuff I've seen posted on this forum.)
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by Justcash(m): 11:46pm On May 05, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

That's your opinion. I'm not interested in arguing for or against one man's spurious assertions. I won't engage you further because you seem highly irrational ("East-West"? "West-East"? "West-South"? easily some of the silliest stuff I've seen posted on this forum.)

And at the point you should answer to the main issue, you quit. Is it so difficult for you to accept that your fathers destroyed Nigeria? After fighting so much to retain the unity of Nigeria, they dominated and destroyed it. Is that not pathetic? Why couldn't they emulate their peers in fast  developing countries like China, Brazil, Malaysia etc? Can you clarify what is so spurious about my assertion to make you to dodge answering the question?
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:57pm On May 05, 2011
Justcash:

And at the point you should answer to the main issue, you quit. Is it so difficult for you to accept that your fathers destroyed Nigeria? After fighting so much to retain the unity of Nigeria, they dominated and destroyed it. Is that not pathetic? Why couldn't they emulate their peers in fast  developing countries like China, Brazil, Malaysia etc? Can you clarify what is so spurious about my assertion to make you to dodge answering the question?

1. What are these "little strides that Nigeria has made" that are the "direct handiwork" of "Easterners"?

2. Even going by your silly geographical definitions, I would be neither a Westerner or a Northerner, so this crap about "your fathers" is just more irrationality on your part. Or did the powerless SS ever "dominate" or rule/govern Nigeria?  undecided
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by ektbear: 12:25am On May 06, 2011
chino11:

Is lagos your home state of origin? Even though lagos is not liveable, its dirty and harzard all over the place. Lagos was built over 70yrs ago by the FG.
Which federal government built Lagos 70 years ago? 70 years ago was 1941.

What has the SW done to develop other SW states, just like the SE states are doing? Dirty people wey dey poo inside bedroom. lmao
GDP-wise, SW zone minus Lagos is bigger than the SE. Western region was wealthier than the Eastern region in the 50s and early 60s (until it was broken into Western and Midwest.)
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by Justcash(m): 1:18am On May 06, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

1. What are these "little strides that Nigeria has made" that are the "direct handiwork" of "Easterners"?

2. Even going by your silly geographical definitions, I would be neither a Westerner or a Northerner, so this crap about "your fathers" is just more irrationality on your part. Or did the powerless SS ever "dominate" or rule/govern Nigeria?  undecided
[b]
Once again, you dodged my question. As usual, I expected you to deny being from the West or North like you did.
Before I go ahead to answer your question, let me make it clear to you that I am not showing hatred towards those regions. I am only stating the fact that they have failed so badly by not being able to stimulate meaningful development in Nigeria. They may not have been responsible for this if they had not dominated the political sphere of Nigeria. They cannot show any meaningful thing that they came out with after so many years of political dominance. My view can be seen as being "Realistic" and not "Tribalistic".
Now to your question. Before 1999, Nigeria could not boast of any other viable sector apart from the petroleum sector. NNPC monopolised the economy and was so important that it was heavily politicized and influenced by politicians who were mainly from the North and West. It took the elevation of Nigerians from the hitherto marginalised Eastern part of Nigeria to spark up a surge from other sectors of the economy.
For example;
One would think that there was no CBN before Charles Soludo. Even after Charles Soludo, there was another intellectual from the North that took over, Lamido sanusi. Was he not in existence before 1999? Why did it have to take an Easterner to change the industry before intellectuals from the North could be recognised? Under an Easterner, the banking sector grew and added value to Nigeria's economy.
One would also think that we never had Finance ministers before Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala in 1999. Why did it have to take Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, an Easterner to revive the international rating and freedom of Nigeria's economy from enormous external and internal debt? Were there no former finance ministers with such capabilities? why were they not used in the past. for example, was Aganga not in existence before 1999?
One would think that Nigeria was allergic to GSM technology before 1999. Even Ghanaians got the technology before us. As soon as Alex Ndukwe was put in charge of the sector, everything changed. Like they say, the rest is history now. Nigeria's telecommunication sector grew and created lots of jobs. Was there no individual capable of doing what Alex Ndukwe did before 1999? Why is it that it took Alexander Ndukwe, an Easterner to raise the telecom sector?
Look at an agency like NAFDAC. It was dormant before an Easterner took control of it. Why was it dormant? You mean to tell me that there were no Nigerians to make the agency to work?
Why did it have to take an Easterner, GEJ for free and fair elections to be possible. I mean, he was even ready to step down if he had lost the election.
Why is it that it was the entertainment and Sports sectors that were dominated by Easterners before 1999 that grew vibrantly within the years that Nigeria was gradually sliding into an abyss due to retrogressive political leadership from the North and West? Now, Yoruba movies are building on Nollywood. Look at the way our sports slid because the same ethnic based issue cropped up under the leadership of the sports sector by Northerners. For example, Nigeria keeps failing because federal character was introduced in sports.

The issue here is that Northern and Western region's domination of Nigeria's politics was characterized by extreme ethnic politicking. So much that appointments were based on religion and politics. They ignored professionals and fairness in the appointment of individuals into sensitive positions. This was the bane to the development of Nigeria. It took a near death experience by OBJ, under his northern cronies for him to realize that fairness was important for development to be ensured.
This tribalism is enshrined in the cultures of Western and Northern Nigerians. Their Centralized traditional political orientation gives space for the extreme respect of people in authority and tribalism against groups with contrary orientation. When leaders feel supreme in their seats of power, they become corrupt. That is the story of Nigeria. The ability of an Easterner to challenge authority annoys Nigerians from other parts of Nigeria. Look at the Senate presidency in 1999. Several individuals occupied that seat. At the end, Ken Nnamani. a respectable politician got the chance to occupy that seat and stayed there till the end. The Easterners were taunted for this. That is to tell you that Easterners don't support rubbish leadership. Compare that to the leadership of Bankole, where senators go home with a quater of Nigeria's budget. No one talked. The few Easterners that dared to talk were victimized, while other kept quiet.
It is only an Easterner that would look at things against his own ethnic group if need be, for the sake of progress. Why is that so?
If you sincerely feel I am wrong by saying that it is only Easterners that can save Nigeria, please prove me wrong by telling me how the North and West can do so. As for me, the North and West have widely proved that they are incapable of saving Nigeria.
[/b]
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by jason123: 2:11am On May 06, 2011
chino11:

You guys are really despicable and pathetic. Why not osogbo, ibadn, akure and all those crap and rural state capitals in the south west?? Every time they will mention lagos, you guys should be ashamed yourselves. Is lagos your home state of origin? Even though lagos is not liveable, its dirty and harzard all over the place. Lagos was built over 70yrs ago by the FG. What has the SW done to develop other SW states, just like the SE states are doing? Dirty people wey dey poo inside bedroom. lmao

A very reckless statement. Which FG built Lagos Seriously guy, I do not care about your tribal battles and all but please learn to get facts before posting. Btw, Ogun state is better than most SE states as well.
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by jason123: 2:13am On May 06, 2011
@ Justcash
Okay, the next four years, Igbos will run things (hopefully), that is the opportunity to prove your what you are saying. . . .
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by Justcash(m): 2:28am On May 06, 2011
jason123:

@ Justcash
Okay, the next four years, Igbos will run things (hopefully), that is the opportunity to prove your what you are saying. . . .

It is not about Igbos. It is about EASTERNERS. There is one at the helm of affairs now (Goodluck Ebele Jonathan). Watch him closely, you will understand what I am talking about. After 4 years by God's special grace, I will bring your attention to this our discussion to vindicate my points.
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by jason123: 2:40am On May 06, 2011
Justcash:

It is not about Igbos. It is about EASTERNERS. There is one at the helm of affairs now (Goodluck Ebele Jonathan). Watch him closely, you will understand what I am talking about. After 4 years by God's special grace, I will bring your attention to this our discussion to vindicate my points.
Hopefully. . . .
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 3:09am On May 06, 2011
The North and West failed Nigeria?? ROFLMAO!!!!
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:20am On May 06, 2011
Once again, you dodged my question.

You asserted with no evidence some claim (that this or that region dominated and destroyed Nigeria) and then asked me to respond to a question based on the premise as if it were true. If I don't accept a premise, then there's no reason to respond as if I actually do.

As usual, I expected you to deny being from the West or North like you did.

What reasonable accusation is there to deny? I've already stated that I'm not from those regions on this forum numerous times. It's only someone as ignorant and presumptuous as yourself that constantly harps "your fathers this" "your fathers that" when someone opposes his view, without even knowing anything about the person's "fathers" and where they are from. Anyways, it would make no real difference where I was from.

Before I go ahead to answer your question, let me make it clear to you that I am not showing hatred towards those regions.

This is unlikely, though. Your post history is pretty clear on your feelings with respect to those regions.

I am only stating the fact that they have failed so badly by not being able to stimulate meaningful development in Nigeria. They may not have been responsible for this if they had not dominated the political sphere of Nigeria. They cannot show any meaningful thing that they came out with after so many years of political dominance. My view can be seen as being "Realistic" and not "Tribalistic".
Now to your question. Before 1999, Nigeria could not boast of any other viable sector apart from the petroleum sector. NNPC monopolised the economy and was so important that it was heavily politicized and influenced by politicians who were mainly from the North and West.

When was the West politically dominant? When they were rigged out by Shagari in 1979? When Buhari imprisoned their leaders and placed some under house arrest while sparing northern leaders? When MKO Abiola was denied the presidency and died in prison and they sat on looking, unable to do anyhing? When Abacha was lording over them, imprisoning some of them, and declaring others (like Soyinka, or some members of NADECO) wanted men?

As for this claim that Northern and Western politicians ran the NNPC, do you have any proof?

It took the elevation of Nigerians from the hitherto marginalised Eastern part of Nigeria to spark up a surge from other sectors of the economy.
For example;
One would think that there was no CBN before Charles Soludo. Even after Charles Soludo, there was another intellectual from the North that took over, Lamido sanusi. Was he not in existence before 1999? Why did it have to take an Easterner to change the industry before intellectuals from the North could be recognised? Under an Easterner, the banking sector grew and added value to Nigeria's economy.

Who was Dr. Clement Nyong Isong? Who was Paul Agbai Ogwuma?

Were they not from the East? Or were they from the Moon?

I don't understand this CBN claim. It's as if you actually think the North and West were deliberately keeping Easterners away from the CBN or something prior to Obasanjo.

One would also think that we never had Finance ministers before Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala in 1999. Why did it have to take Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, an Easterner to revive the international rating and freedom of Nigeria's economy from enormous external and internal debt? Were there no former finance ministers with such capabilities?

Did Nigeria have enormous external and internal debt prior to 1999?

Did Ngozi Okonjo Iweala single-handedly free Nigeria from its debt? If she did, what did Mansur Mukhtar do? Please be more informed.

One would think that Nigeria was allergic to GSM technology before 1999. Even Ghanaians got the technology before us. As soon as Alex Ndukwe was put in charge of the sector, everything changed. Like they say, the rest is history now. Nigeria's telecommunication sector grew and created lots of jobs. Was there no individual capable of doing what Alex Ndukwe did before 1999?Why is it that it took Alexander Ndukwe, an Easterner to raise the telecom sector?

You're quite right that Ernest Ndukwe should be commended.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201005021442842

But reading that, I get the impression that the answer to your question lies mainly in Abacha and his corrupt military predecessors. OBJ, as a civilian president, was actually competent enough to try to get foreign investment in that area, and when that failed, to appoint the right technocrat to improve that area.

Look at an agency like NAFDAC. It was dormant before an Easterner took control of it. Why was it dormant? You mean to tell me that there were no Nigerians to make the agency to work?

What major problems did NAFDAC have to deal with until recently? I'm asking out of genuine ignorance. I was under the impression that the problems NAFDAC dealt with recently (fake drugs, for example) were not always major issues.

Also, NAFDAC only came about in 1993, and even then, wasn't it Dr. Olikoye Ransome-Kuti that presided over its creation?

Why did it have to take an Easterner, GEJ for free and fair elections to be possible. I mean, he was even ready to step down if he had lost the election.

I don't even understand this claim. Was GEJ in charge of the elections? Could he somehow not have stepped down if he lost? Does he have that kind of power?  undecided

And Attahiru Jega gets no credit, but Maurice Iwu gets no blame?  undecided

Why is it that it was the entertainment and Sports sectors that were dominated by Easterners before 1999 that grew vibrantly within the years that Nigeria was gradually sliding into an abyss due to retrogressive political leadership from the North and West? Now, Yoruba movies are building on Nollywood. Look at the way our sports slid because the same ethnic based issue cropped up under the leadership of the sports sector by Northerners. For example, Nigeria keeps failing because federal character was introduced in sports.

Was the East really dominating entertainment?

Take music, for example. I was under the impression that there was more of a spread, with West, East and others contributing,

As for this Nollywood thing, I was under the impression that some Westerners were pioneers in that area, rather than "building on" somebody else's foundation. I could be wrong though.

I'm not sure that Nollywood is really a bragging point, anyways. When you think of the Senegalese film industry for example, which could even enter films for competition at prestigious film festivals and get rave reviews from respectable periodicals, you realize Nigerian movies are pretty mediocre, despite all the potential and all the promise Nigeria's never ending drama and its educated populace should provide in that area.

The federal character principle in sports, if it was really adhered to, like many believe (and from my observation, they may be right) is regrettable.

The issue here is that Northern and Western region's domination of Nigeria's politics was characterized by extreme ethnic politicking. So much that appointments were based on religion and politics. They ignored professionals and fairness in the appointment of individuals into sensitive positions.

Is this really so? Do you have any real evidence of this?

This was the bane to the development of Nigeria. It took a near death experience by OBJ, under his northern cronies for him to realize that fairness was important for development to be ensured.

And this is your personal theory? Or did OBJ say or hint at anything like this?

This tribalism is enshrined in the cultures of Western and Northern Nigerians. Their Centralized traditional political orientation gives space for the extreme respect of people in authority and tribalism against groups with contrary orientation. When leaders feel supreme in their seats of power, they become corrupt. That is the story of Nigeria. The ability of an Easterner to challenge authority annoys Nigerians from other parts of Nigeria.

Another theory, but I don't see much of a connection between the cultures and the tribalism you keep complaining about. Also, challenging authority must be done in a civil manner.

What's also ironic about this claim is that the first Nigerian to condemn tribalism, back in the 1800s, was no less than Uthman dan Fodio.

Meanwhile Edward Wilmot Blyden, a scholar of Igbo descent, had mostly negative things to say about the "Akus" (Yorubas) and Samuel Ajayi Crowther, a scholar of Yoruba descent, had some negative things to say about the "Ibos" (Igbos). When I came across their statements, it kind of made me wonder why the Northerners seemed to always be more politically advanced than the southerners on issues of tribalism, to the extent that any Northerner can become the Northern leader, whether that man is an Angas, Gwari, Kanuri, etc.  

Look at the Senate presidency in 1999. Several individuals occupied that seat. At the end, Ken Nnamani. a respectable politician got the chance to occupy that seat and stayed there till the end. The Easterners were taunted for this. That is to tell you that Easterners don't support rubbish leadership.

I really don't understand this. Could you go into more detail? Who was taunting and why? And I was under the impression that most of the senate presidents had always been "Easterners."

Compare that to the leadership of Bankole, where senators go home with a quater of Nigeria's budget. No one talked. The few Easterners that dared to talk were victimized, while other kept quiet.

Could you also go into detail here? I'm really not understanding what you're saying.

I was under the impression that the man who really dared to talk about senators going home with ludicrous paychecks was Sanusi Lamido Sanusi.

It is only an Easterner that would look at things against his own ethnic group if need be, for the sake of progress. Why is that so?

You say this, but is it actually true? What evidence is there for this claim?

If you sincerely feel I am wrong by saying that it is only Easterners that can save Nigeria, please prove me wrong by telling me how the North and West can do so. As for me, the North and West have widely proved that they are incapable of saving Nigeria.

I don't really think I need to. There's no reason for me to resort to simplistic generalizations and assertions in order to defend Northern or Western competence, especially when I don't even care whether those groups really can or cannot "save Nigeria." If they are actually as incapable as you assert, it won't change anything.

[size=5pt][Note: I used the phrase "I was under the impression" a lot above, but what I mean to say by that is "it seems in reality that. . ."][/size]
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by seanet02: 3:38am On May 06, 2011
Justcash time for you to shut the MF up. Seanet02 your MASTER is back.
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by Justcash(m): 4:21am On May 06, 2011
seanet02:

Justcash time for you to shut the MF up. Seanet02 your MASTER is back.

Lol! You wish. You really think everyone is as jobless as you? I will ignore you because I don't want you to derail this topic. Master indeed. LMAO!
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by Justcash(m): 4:39am On May 06, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

You asserted with no evidence some claim (that this or that region dominated and destroyed Nigeria) and then asked me to respond to a question based on the premise as if it were true. If I don't accept a premise, then there's no reason to respond as if I actually do.

What reasonable accusation is there to deny? I've already stated that I'm not from those regions on this forum numerous times. It's only someone as ignorant and presumptuous as yourself that constantly harps "your fathers this" "your fathers that" when someone opposes his view, without even knowing anything about the person's "fathers" and where they are from. Anyways, it would make no real difference where I was from.

This is unlikely, though. Your post history is pretty clear on your feelings with respect to those regions.

When was the West politically dominant? When they were rigged out by Shagari in 1979? When Buhari imprisoned their leaders and placed some under house arrest while sparing northern leaders? When MKO Abiola was denied the presidency and died in prison and they sat on looking, unable to do anyhing? When Abacha was lording over them, imprisoning some of them, and declaring others (like Soyinka, or some members of NADECO) wanted men?

As for this claim that Northern and Western politicians ran the NNPC, do you have any proof?

Who was Dr. Clement Nyong Isong? Who was Paul Agbai Ogwuma?

Were they not from the East? Or were they from the Moon?

I don't understand this CBN claim. It's as if you actually think the North and West were deliberately keeping Easterners away from the CBN or something prior to Obasanjo.

Did Nigeria have enormous external and internal debt prior to 1999?

Did Ngozi Okonjo Iweala single-handedly free Nigeria from its debt? If she did, what did Mansur Mukhtar do? Please be more informed.

You're quite right that Ernest Ndukwe should be commended.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201005021442842

But reading that, I get the impression that the answer to your question lies mainly in Abacha and his corrupt military predecessors. OBJ, as a civilian president, was actually competent enough to try to get foreign investment in that area, and when that failed, to appoint the right technocrat to improve that area.

What major problems did NAFDAC have to deal with until recently? I'm asking out of genuine ignorance. I was under the impression that the problems NAFDAC dealt with recently (fake drugs, for example) were not always major issues.

Also, NAFDAC only came about in 1993, and even then, wasn't it Dr. Olikoye Ransome-Kuti that presided over its creation?

I don't even understand this claim. Was GEJ in charge of the elections? Could he somehow not have stepped down if he lost? Does he have that kind of power?  undecided

And Attahiru Jega gets no credit, but Maurice Iwu gets no blame?  undecided

Was the East really dominating entertainment?

Take music, for example. I was under the impression that there was more of a spread, with West, East and others contributing,

As for this Nollywood thing, I was under the impression that some Westerners were pioneers in that area, rather than "building on" somebody else's foundation. I could be wrong though.

I'm not sure that Nollywood is really a bragging point, anyways. When you think of the Senegalese film industry for example, which could even enter films for competition at prestigious film festivals and get rave reviews from respectable periodicals, you realize Nigerian movies are pretty mediocre, despite all the potential and all the promise Nigeria's never ending drama and its educated populace should provide in that area.

The federal character principle in sports, if it was really adhered to, like many believe (and from my observation, they may be right) is regrettable.

Is this really so? Do you have any real evidence of this?

And this is your personal theory? Or did OBJ say or hint at anything like this?

Another theory, but I don't see much of a connection between the cultures and the tribalism you keep complaining about. Also, challenging authority must be done in a civil manner.

What's also ironic about this claim is that the first Nigerian to condemn tribalism, back in the 1800s, was no less than Uthman dan Fodio.

Meanwhile Edward Wilmot Blyden, a scholar of Igbo descent, had mostly negative things to say about the "Akus" (Yorubas) and Samuel Ajayi Crowther, a scholar of Yoruba descent, had some negative things to say about the "Ibos" (Igbos). When I came across their statements, it kind of made me wonder why the Northerners seemed to always be more politically advanced than the southerners on issues of tribalism, to the extent that any Northerner can become the Northern leader, whether that man is an Angas, Gwari, Kanuri, etc.  

I really don't understand this. Could you go into more detail? Who was taunting and why? And I was under the impression that most of the senate presidents had always been "Easterners."

Could you also go into detail here? I'm really not understanding what you're saying.

I was under the impression that the man who really dared to talk about senators going home with ludicrous paychecks was Sanusi Lamido Sanusi.

You say this, but is it actually true? What evidence is there for this claim?

I don't really think I need to. There's no reason for me to resort to simplistic generalizations and assertions in order to defend Northern or Western competence, especially when I don't even care whether those groups really can or cannot "save Nigeria." If they are actually as incapable as you assert, it won't change anything.

[size=5pt][Note: I used the phrase "I was under the impression" a lot above, but what I mean to say by that is "it seems in reality that. . ."][/size]

[b]You need evidence to know that your ethnic group dominated politics with the Northerners after the civil war?
You need evidence to show that Akunyili actually made a Dormant NAFDAC active?
You need evidence to show that Soludo caused a positive turn around in the Nigerian banking sector?
You need evidence to know that Okonjo Iweala ensured the freedom of Nigeria from the debt burden that was an impediment to our growth?
You need evidence to know that Nollywood and Nigerian entertainment scene was made and dominated by Easterners?
You need evidence to know that the Nigerian sporting scene was dominated by the Easterners?
Do you truly need evidence to know that Alex ndukwe was behind the rise of the telecom sector?
You also need evidence to show that all corrupt Nigerian leaders that permitted Nigeria to be swindled and destroyed are from the North and West?

Haa! You should have told me that you wanted me to give you the history of Nigeria. You sound naive about issues concerning Nigerian politics with all the questions you raised. Why don't you just carry out a personal research to find out by yourself.
There is no need denying facts here. Can you name a Northerner or Westerner whose leadership have led to a meaningful impact on a core sector in Nigeria? Name them from after the civil war till1999? Was it not Abiola that was given the same task that Ndukwe was given? Who in a right state of mind would give such a sensitive sector to a non-professional to run? We know how it all ended.
Economy, IT, Health sector, Security, Financial sector, Education etc were left in very messed up states, all because your Northern and Western fathers had no clue about how to lead Nigeria. If not that OBJ decided to retaliate against the Mafia, Nigeria would have been in the same state till today. I am very sure. [/b]
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by PhysicsMHD(m): 4:55am On May 06, 2011
You couldn't answer even a single question I posed and you shamelessly resorted to twisting and distorting my questions. The evasion is dumbfounding. No sane person could think the West dominated politics after the civil war. Is that why they were being imprisoned and killed for nothing? Nobody could assert that NAFDAC needed to do anything significant until recent times. Heck, they didn't even need to create it until the 90s. Nobody could claim that  Easterners were kept out of the banking sector until OBJ. Nobody could claim that only Okonjo-Iweala was responsible for freeing Nigeria from its debt. I honestly don't see what's commendable about Nollywood. Perhaps you could enlighten me there. I already answered the statement about Ernest Ndukwe, but you completely twisted my statement. And for the last time your Eastern "fathers" have always had more of a role in running this country than my own, from 1956 to this very day, so your statements about my "fathers" are absurd. Your bizarre adoration for the grandmaster of political thuggery - OBJ, one of these Western "fathers" and the only Western politician to actually govern Nigeria - while simultaneously condemning Western politicians for allegedly screwing up the country is mind-bogglingly silly.
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by seanet02: 5:11am On May 06, 2011
Justcash see your pathetic life. Physics asked you simple questions, instead of you to answer you were turning like a barber's chair. Physics, this guy gotta no brain. It is crystal clear. He is a mor0n.
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by Justcash(m): 8:04am On May 06, 2011
PhysicsMHD:

[b]You couldn't answer even a single question [/b]I posed and you shamelessly resorted to twisting and distorting my questions. The evasion is dumbfounding. No sane person could think the West dominated politics after the civil war. Is that why they were being imprisoned and killed for nothing? Nobody could assert that NAFDAC needed to do anything significant until recent times. Heck, they didn't even need to create it until the 90s. Nobody could claim that  Easterners were kept out of the banking sector until OBJ. Nobody could claim that only Okonjo-Iweala was responsible for freeing Nigeria from its debt. I honestly don't see what's commendable about Nollywood. Perhaps you could enlighten me there. I already answered the statement about Ernest Ndukwe, but you completely twisted my statement. And for the last time your Eastern "fathers" have always had more of a role in running this country than my own, from 1956 to this very day, so your statements about my "fathers" are absurd. Your bizarre adoration for the grandmaster of political thuggery - OBJ, one of these Western "fathers" and the only Western politician to actually govern Nigeria - while simultaneously condemning Western politicians for allegedly screwing up the country is mind-bogglingly silly.

What question did you ask that a primary school pupil in Nigeria would not be able to answer. You think I have the time to start educating you on your history when you are very well online to seek out the answers by yourself?

Sir Lord Frederick Lugard
Colonial
1914 - 1919
Governor General

Sir Bernard Bourdillon
Colonial
1635 - 1943
Governor General

Sir John Macpherson
Colonial
1948 - 1955
Governor General

Sir James Roberson
Colonial
1955 - 1960
Governor General

Benjamin Nnamdi Azikiwe
Civilian
1 Oct 1960 - 16 Jan 1963
President of the Republic

Alhaji Abubakar Tafawa Balewa
Civilian
30 Aug 1960 - 15 Jan 1966
Prime Minister

Johnson Thomas Umurakwe Aguiyi-Ironsi
Military
16 Jan 1966 - 29 Jul 1966
Heads of the Military Government
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
[b]
From this point, Nigeria started getting destroyed. Look at the regions of the leaders that destroyed Nigeria.

Yakubu Gowon (North)
Military
1 Aug 1966 - 29 Jul 1975

Murtala Ramat Muhammed (North)
Military
29 Jul 1975 - 13 Feb 1976

Olusegun Obasanjo (West)
Military
14 Feb 1976 - 1 Oct 1979

Alhaji Shehu Usman Aliyu Shagari (North)
Civilian
1 Oct 1979 - 31 Dec 1983

Muhammadu Buhari (North)
Military
31 Dec 1983 - 27 Aug 1985
Head of the Federal Military Government

Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida (North)
Military
27 Aug 1985 - 4 Jan 1993
Chairman of the Armed Forces Ruling Council

Chairman of the National Defence and Security Council

Ernest Adekunle Oladeinde Shonekan (West)
Civilian
26 Aug 1993 - 17 Nov 1993
Head of the Interim National Government

Sani Abacha (North)
Military
17 Nov 1993 - 8 Jun 1998
Chairman of the Provisional Ruling Council

Abdulsalam Abubakar (North)
Military
9 Jun 1998 - 29 May 1999
Chairman of the Provisional Ruling Council[/b]
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Olusegun Obasanjo (West)Things changed here with the less marginalization of the Eastern region.
Civilian
29 May 1999 -
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by KnowAll(m): 8:29am On May 06, 2011
Mr Poster when you write an article try not to make it bold. You can make your replies to correspondents bold but not your opening post, also try to put them in paragraphs. I can't read that peice as it is. undecided
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by Justcash(m): 8:33am On May 06, 2011
KnowAll:

Mr Poster when you write an article try not to make it bold. You can make your replies to correspondents bold but not your opening post, also try to put them in paragraphs. I can't read that peice as it is. undecided
Okay. Noted.
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by ektbear: 8:39am On May 06, 2011
What do you mean by "at that point Nigeria started getting destroyed"?

Like, for example, here is a plot of Nigeria's GDP since 1960:

So from 1967-1980, the country sucked? I wasn't alive during that time, so wouldn't know.
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by Justcash(m): 8:47am On May 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

What do you mean by "at that point Nigeria started getting destroyed"?

Like, for example, here is a plot of Nigeria's GDP since 1960:

So from 1967-1980, the country sucked? I wasn't alive during that time, so wouldn't know.

I am not talking in terms of Gross domestic product.
Put in simple words, GDP measures the health of a country's economy. There was an oil boom within that period that you saw an up trend of the economy. So it is natural that the economy would be translated as being healthy. The question is, How did it help real human and physical development of Nigeria?
Economy was growing, things were getting worse for the masses. in the 60s life was better for the masses than when oil was discovered.
By "Nigeria was destroyed", I meant Per-capita income, Infrastructures, educational system, standard of living etc experienced a downtrend.
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by ektbear: 8:51am On May 06, 2011
Like, if you want to say that, "the country started going bad due to military rule and coups", then shouldn't you include Ironsi?

And if you want to say, "the country started getting mismanaged at this point", then why is Ironsi your cutoff point? It seemed to do OK in the 70s. So then the cutoff should be probably 1980-81 or so.

I don't think "the West" can be blamed much for the 80s and 90s. Awolowo was rigged out for Shagari. We didn't execute the coups in the 80s and 90s.

Surely you'll concede that if West had been running the country rather than the North, probably the 80s and 90s would have been pretty decent. . .

Justcash:

I am not talking in terms of Gross domestic product.
Put in simple words, GDP measures the health of a country's economy. There was an oil boom within that period that you see an up trend. So it is natural that the economy will be seen as healthy. But, how did it help real development?
Economy was growing, things were getting worse for the masses. in the 60s life was better for the masses than when oil was discovered.
By "Nigeria was destroyed", I meant Per-capita income, Infrastructures, educational system, standard of living etc experienced a downtrend.

Hold on a second here. Nigeria's GDP increased from 6.63 billion in 1969, to 47 billion in 1979. . . 7X increase. So you are telling me that the country was better off in the 60s than the 70s?  undecided

Like I said, I wasn't alive during that time. But the way older folk tell me, the country started to spoil mostly in the 80s.
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by ektbear: 8:53am On May 06, 2011
What was the unemployment rate in the 60s versus that in the 70s? Poverty rates? Etc, etc?

If you want to argue that Nigeria was worse off in the 70s than in the 60s, then let us see those secondary statistics to justify your argument.
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by ektbear: 9:04am On May 06, 2011
Also, why do the Shagari, Buhari, IBB, Abacha eras count as "the West" running things?

Wasn't Shagari a guy the Igbos supported in large #s? Ya'll sure as hell didn't vote for Awolowo. A guy who would have done a helluva better job navigating through the 80s than Shagari would have (Western Region again was the wealthiest in Nigeria before it was split into West and Midwest, or so I believe from what I've read on JSTOR.) So as far as pure leadership, administrative skills go, you guys choose the wrong leader.

So doesn't "the East" get the blame for that era?
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by Justcash(m): 9:07am On May 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

Like, if you want to say that, "the country started going bad due to military rule and coups", then shouldn't you include Ironsi?

And if you want to say, "the country started getting mismanaged at this point", then why is Ironsi your cutoff point? It seemed to do OK in the 70s. So then the cutoff should be probably 1980-81 or so.

I don't think "the West" can be blamed much for the 80s and 90s. Awolowo was rigged out for Shagari. We didn't execute the coups in the 80s and 90s.

Surely you'll concede that if West had been running the country rather than the North, probably the 80s and 90s would have been pretty decent. . .
Hold on a second here. Nigeria's GDP increased from 6.63 billion in 1969, to 47 billion in 1979. . . 7X increase. So you are telling me that the country was better off in the 60s than the 70s?  undecided

Like I said, I wasn't alive during that time. But the way older folk tell me, the country started to spoil mostly in the 80s.

[b]Coup d'tats and military (despotic) leadership does not necessarily reflect the mismanagement of an economy. Aguiyi Ironsi managed the economy well. Mismanagement of the economy started with Gowon. Gowon was a young man that had no clue of what he was doing as a head of state. He was a product of a war plot by the north to make the mid-belt to feel among.
He managed the oil boom wrongly, and Nigeria felt the bite when the boom ended. After him, the nation never got it right again. Everything crumbled. Nepa, roads, security, schools etc
I expect you to know what GDP means. It does not necessarily reflect infrastructural growth, human development index, per capita income etc. An economy may be growing, but the growth is not reflected in development of the country. In the 1960s there were good schools, security, employment, efficient infrastructures, roads etc. These things were supposed to be updated with the growth in GDP. They were abandoned, and life became difficult for Nigerians irrespective of GDP growth.
One would expect that a country whose GDP grew 7x  in ten years should be developed. Question is, why are we not developed? Mismanagement of the free money that Nigeria got from the generosity of nature.
MIND YOU, THAT GDP GROWTH WAS NOT CAUSED BY EFFORTS MADE TO ENSURE IGR. IT WAS CAUSED BY OIL AND OIL ALONE.

My grouse is, why is it that despite successive regimes that came and went, none of them were good enough to change the trend? Was Jerry Rawlings not a product of a coup d'tat? He helped to change the same trend in Ghana. Why did the same political class in Nigeria dominated by the North and West fail? [/b]
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by ektbear: 9:13am On May 06, 2011
Justcash:

Aguiyi Ironsi managed the economy well. Mismanagement of the economy started with Gowon.
What concretely did Ironsi do in his 7 months or so or leadership that demonstrate that the economy was managed well? Better than Gowon, for example?

I expect you to know what GDP means. It does not necessarily reflect infrastructural growth, human development index, per capita income etc. An economy may be growing, but the growth is not reflected in development of the country. In the 1960s there were good schools, security, employment, efficient infrastructures, roads etc. These things were supposed to be updated with the growth in GDP. They were abandoned, and life became difficult for Nigerians irrespective of GDP growth.
Right, I know what GDP means. But I find it hard to believe a story in which GDP increases by a factor of 7, population increases by max 4-5% per year (EDIT), and the country gets worse. I dunno if this has ever happened in history before. . .

Can you provide ANY evidence to support that the country deteriorated despite what was on paper a much higher GDP? HDI data? Employment data? # of people enterting university? # of universities? You are saying all of this got worse in the 70s  Please provide some evidence for this, it directly contradicts what people who lived during that time have told me.

Anyway, like I said. . . then the East gets the blame for Shagari's mismanagement, since they supported his bumbling ways over Awolowo. And notice that when Shagari came into power  (79) was when the economy started to fall apart (80s and 90s).
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by Justcash(m): 9:14am On May 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

What was the unemployment rate in the 60s versus that in the 70s? Poverty rates? Etc, etc?

If you want to argue that Nigeria was worse off in the 70s than in the 60s, then let us see those secondary statistics to justify your argument.

If you doubt this Wikipedia source, go and search from other sources, I have little time for that.

1970s-1980s

[b]A major feature of Nigeria's economy in the 1980s, as in the 1970s, was its dependence on petroleum, which accounted for 87 percent of export receipts and 77 percent of the federal government's current revenue in 1988. Falling oil output and prices contributed to another noteworthy aspect of the economy in the 1980s—the decline in per capita real gross national product, which persisted until oil prices began to rise in 1990. Indeed, GNP per capita per year decreased 4.8 percent from 1980 to 1987, which led in 1989 to Nigeria's classification by the World Bank as a low-income country (based on 1987 data) for the first time since the annual World Development Report was instituted in 1978. In 1989 the World Bank also declared Nigeria poor enough to be eligible (along with countries such as Bangladesh, Ethiopia, Chad, and Mali) for concessional aid from an affiliate, the International Development Association (IDA).
Another relevant feature of the Nigerian economy was a series of abrupt changes in the government's share of expenditures. As a percentage of gross domestic product, national government expenditures rose from 9 percent in 1962 to 44 percent in 1979, but fell to 17 percent in 1988. In the aftermath of the 1967-70 civil war, Nigeria's government became more centralized. The oil boom of the 1970s provided the tax revenue to strengthen the central government further. Expansion of the government's share of the economy did little to enhance its political and administrative capacity, but did increase incomes and the number of jobs that the governing elites could distribute to their clients.
The economic collapse in the late 1970s and early 1980s contributed to substantial discontent and conflict between ethnic communities and nationalities, adding to the political pressure to expel more than 2 million illegal workers (mostly from Ghana, Niger, Cameroon, and Chad) in early 1983 and May 1985.
The lower spending of the 1980s was partly the result of the structural adjustment program (SAP) in effect from 1986 to 1990, first mooted by the International Monetary Fund and carried out under the auspices of the World Bank, which emphasized privatization, market prices, and reduced government expenditures. This program was based on the principle that, as GDP per capita falls, people demand relatively fewer social goods (produced in the government sector) and relatively more private goods, which tend to be essential items such as food, clothing, and shelter.
[/b]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_history_of_Nigeria
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by ektbear: 9:17am On May 06, 2011
^-- Right, so from what you post, the 70s were better than the 80s. But nothing there says they were worse than the 60s. . .
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by Justcash(m): 9:19am On May 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

Also, why do the Shagari, Buhari, IBB, Abacha eras count as "the West" running things?

Wasn't Shagari a guy the Igbos supported in large #s? Ya'll sure as hell didn't vote for Awolowo. A guy who would have done a helluva better job navigating through the 80s than Shagari would have (Western Region again was the wealthiest in Nigeria before it was split into West and Midwest, or so I believe from what I've read on JSTOR.) So as far as pure leadership, administrative skills go, you guys choose the wrong leader.

So doesn't "the East" get the blame for that era?

The North and West were fully in control of the political system in Nigeria. Obasanjo had the chance to change Nigeria during his military rule. What did he do, he continued to dance to the script of his cronies. Handed over to a Northerner who carried on the ruining spree. The head of state got more power to effect changes than any deputy or minors. Atiku and Obasanjo's case vindicates my assertion. Thank God that OBJ did not allow himself to be used the second time. If they had chosen another Western, We'd have been on the same cycle.
The North and West gets the blame fully.
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by seanet02: 9:29am On May 06, 2011
Ibo man and their open and shameful lies. Bernard Bourdillion was here between 1943 to 1948. Wherd did justcash see 1635 to 1945? Ndigbo historian and their lies. Thunder strike your isi ewu arse. Anuofia
Re: The North And West Failed Nigeria: Only Eastern Nigeria Can Save Nigeria by Justcash(m): 9:30am On May 06, 2011
ekt_bear:

^-- Right, so from what you post, the 70s were better than the 80s. But nothing there says they were worse than the 60s. . .

Seriously, you wish to sit back and wait for me to provide an evidence of how good the 1960s were for Nigerians? No worry, siddon dey wait. You go old. Sebi you no sabi type for google? SMH

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

(aljazeera) Inside Story - Will Nigeria Violence Spiral Out Of Control? / BREAKING: Amid Raid On Judges, Buhari Appoints New Supreme Court Justices / Goodluck Ebele Jonathan:the Most Foolish Politician In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 179
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.