Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,185 members, 7,818,599 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:36 PM

How Did Nairaland Scale? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / How Did Nairaland Scale? (428 Views)

Smart Home And Home Automation - How Did You Get Started? / For Developers, How Did You Get Your First Remote Job And What Was The Pay. / Why Did Nairaland Programming Section Died. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Did Nairaland Scale? by africonn: 6:16pm On Jun 10, 2021
Well, you might say nairaland is just a script regardless nairaland serves atleast less than 10k users concurrently at its peak hours, and I believe nairaland will have done some systems design during it's peak growing days, it's still growing but I believe it's not enough to break the systems design that has been done in the past even if it does they just can just pay more money to scale vertically or horizontally, Does nairaland uses cache on the fp, I guess so, how do they walk around the dB bottlenecks, do they run any service, we will never find out thanks to Daddy seun, what is the origin of the anti-spam bot cos it does a terrible job. I built africonn.com with d hope it will be something people can easily switch to, but.there is just alot to building softwares than the MVPs. No regrets though.

Or do they use paid services like AWS lambda or similar.cloud service that does the scaling automatically because just from what I have seen it looks like nl as never had another dev employee.apart from seun and the mods and he has never claimed to do DevOps in his active days, cos I don't see why nairaland shouldn't be incorporated and hire Devs like myself. If Reddit can thrive, I don't see why west African tech giant grin cool -> nairaland can't atleast struggle. Anyways it's still an awesome place
Re: How Did Nairaland Scale? by SchoolGate: 7:34pm On Jun 10, 2021
Dem try small sha wink

But they should scale up. So much work still needs to be done
Re: How Did Nairaland Scale? by stanliwise(m): 10:48am On Jun 11, 2021
@Africonn
Nairaland is using a cloudflare service, this means most content served to you are through CDN(content delivery Network). When content are served in this manner it makes the speed of content super-fast at a very amazing speed which is about 4x faster than actually local server download. Also it even becomes about 20x faster because most asset you use like javascript and stylesheet cache automatically. leaving raw speed to just sql queries and php script execution.

As for mysql, I think nairaland is based on SMF and they did a good work as about database schema and indexes. so nairaland is able to query millions of role is less and 0.2s and retrieve all data needed before the blink of an eye.

Nairaland is hosting on cloud which give virtually limitless elastic capability to always maintain performance and I think that is what make nairaland still maintain speed.

I stand to be corrected on some of my assumptions though

5 Likes

Re: How Did Nairaland Scale? by africonn: 1:18pm On Jun 11, 2021
stanliwise:
@Africonn
Nairaland is using a cloudflare service, this means most content served to you are through CDN(content delivery Network). When content are served in this manner it makes the speed of content superfast a very amazing speed which is about 4x faster than actually local server download. Also it even becomes about 20x faster because most asset you use like javascript and stylesheet cache automatically. leaving raw speed to just sql queries and php script execution.

As for mysql, I think nairaland is based on SMF and they did a good work as about database schema and indexes. so nairaland is able to query millions of role is less and 0.2s and retrieve all data needed before blind of an eye.

Nairaland is hosting on cloud which give virtually limitless elastic capability to always maintain performance and I think that is what make nairaland still maintain speed.

I stand to be corrected on some of my assumptions though

You really try, from researching what you wrote and what seun wrote about the downtime, it seems they use SMF, and a powerful enough dedicated server to handle all the concurrent traffic, and that is placed in front of cloudflare for speed and security. So there isn't much going on behind the hood.

(1) (Reply)

Your Iphone Could Be Hacked!!!! / Freelance Web -developers !!! / Who Has A Kodekloud Subscription?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.