Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,698 members, 7,823,959 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:16 PM

June 12 Dark Chapter In Nigeria’s History – Atiku - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / June 12 Dark Chapter In Nigeria’s History – Atiku (384 Views)

Bola Tinubu With Officials Of APC UK Chapter In London (Photos) / Buhari, A Poor Student Of History Atiku Fired / ‘it’s Impossible To Revise History’ — Atiku Campaign Replies Osinbajo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

June 12 Dark Chapter In Nigeria’s History – Atiku by oshozondii: 7:18pm On Jun 11, 2021
Former Vice President Atiku Abubakar has described the historic annulled June 12 election of 1993 as a dark chapter in Nigeria’s chequered political history.

He, however, said that Nigerians should n’t lose the lessons as “we build our democracy to greater heights.”

Atiku, in a statement on the occasion of 2021 Democracy Day said, “I’m proud to join Nigerians in the celebration of this important day in our recent political history not only because I was part of those challenging moments, but also because of my unshaken belief in democracy.

“Although the annulment of MKO Abiola’s election was a major setback, my consolation is that it made Nigerians more united to resist dictatorship and entrench democracy.

“The illegal cancellation of the results of the 1993 presidential election was not a personal loss to Abiola, but a loss to Nigeria and its democracy.

“Abiola, whom I stepped down for in the 1993 primary of the Social Democratic Party (SDP) in Jos, was a good man, and his only primary reason for joining the race was to offer selfless service to the ordinary Nigerians. I was deeply pained by the circumstances in which he was arrested and eventually died in government’s custody. Such gross injustice was unspeakably cruel.

“Sadly, the opportunism of some Nigerian politicians had contributed to the destruction of democracy, most of those who aided and abetted General Abacha’s self-succession agenda were politicians.

“The most important lesson on June 12 is that we should be united in the defence of democracy and resist the divide and rule tactics of the enemies of democracy.”
https://independent.ng/june-12-dark-chapter-in-nigerias-history-atiku/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Mynd44
Lalasticlala
Re: June 12 Dark Chapter In Nigeria’s History – Atiku by Simplyleo: 7:21pm On Jun 11, 2021
Yet, you were in the corridors of power for 8 years but refused to recognize the date only for a Sudanese to now immortalize it.

1 Like

Re: June 12 Dark Chapter In Nigeria’s History – Atiku by IgweOfNnewi: 7:23pm On Jun 11, 2021
Still a thief
Re: June 12 Dark Chapter In Nigeria’s History – Atiku by Nobody: 7:26pm On Jun 11, 2021
All the Nigerian GOVERNMENT are criminals....
Re: June 12 Dark Chapter In Nigeria’s History – Atiku by Maxymilliano(m): 7:29pm On Jun 11, 2021
Another setback in the country's chequered political history is the 1983 military putsch led by Buhari and his band of felonies where a democratically elected President was illegally overthrown.
Re: June 12 Dark Chapter In Nigeria’s History – Atiku by beglorified: 7:32pm On Jun 11, 2021
Ok
Re: June 12 Dark Chapter In Nigeria’s History – Atiku by Simplyleo: 7:42pm On Jun 11, 2021
Maxymilliano:
Another setback in the country's chequered political history is the 1983 military putsch led by Buhari and his band of felonies where a democratically elected President was illegally overthrown.
You are very correct.

Fulani Buhari's hatred for us dates from 1983 when he overthrew Chukudi Shehu Ebuka Shagari. undecided
Re: June 12 Dark Chapter In Nigeria’s History – Atiku by Chatflick(m): 8:24pm On Jun 11, 2021
June 12
Re: June 12 Dark Chapter In Nigeria’s History – Atiku by slivertongue: 8:30pm On Jun 11, 2021
Nigerian leaders can romance the past to gain relevance but fail to deliver progress in the present

1 Like

Re: June 12 Dark Chapter In Nigeria’s History – Atiku by Cammo: 8:34pm On Jun 11, 2021
Everybody wan use June 12 shine. All for 2023.
Re: June 12 Dark Chapter In Nigeria’s History – Atiku by Dspsalvate: 8:45pm On Jun 11, 2021
GIDEON OKAH IN MY MINE -A FAIL OPPORTUNITY
Re: June 12 Dark Chapter In Nigeria’s History – Atiku by Tinubuadvocate: 8:47pm On Jun 11, 2021
Tell your boys to stop disturbing the peace of this country. Call them to order.
Re: June 12 Dark Chapter In Nigeria’s History – Atiku by Monogamy: 8:52pm On Jun 11, 2021
Atiku should go and sit down somewhere.. Why didn't Pdp recognize June 12 as democracy day..

Hypocrisy stinks more than rotten eggs
Re: June 12 Dark Chapter In Nigeria’s History – Atiku by binsanni(m): 8:55pm On Jun 11, 2021
Pot calling kettle black

God will punish all of u
Re: June 12 Dark Chapter In Nigeria’s History – Atiku by Powersurge: 9:32pm On Jun 11, 2021
Make this Atiku rest with hin fake concerns. All these useless politicians.
Re: June 12 Dark Chapter In Nigeria’s History – Atiku by FarahAideed: 11:31pm On Jun 11, 2021
Buhari a darker chapter ..#Godfearingfact

(1) (Reply)

June 12 Protest / Nigeria May Not Celebrate Another Democracy Day Says Soyinka / Be Assured Of A Greater Tomorrow Under A PDP Government: Happy Fathers Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.