Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

Nigeria Cannot Afford Funds To Revive Education, Buhari Says - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria Cannot Afford Funds To Revive Education, Buhari Says (617 Views)

Nigeria’s Future Heavily Dependent On Education —buhari / Felt Bad My Students Said I Am Into Yahoo, Teaching Can't Afford My Lifestyle / Education: Buhari’s Regime Worst Since 1999 – ASUU President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Nigeria Cannot Afford Funds To Revive Education, Buhari Says by socialmediaman: 5:57pm On Jun 13, 2021
Nigeria Cannot Afford Funds to Revive Education, Buhari Says

President Muhammadu Buhari has said the Nigerian government cannot afford the amount of funding needed to revive the country’s educational system. Buhari also said the competition for funds had become keener because of the recent increase in the number of tertiary institutions in Nigeria.

The president spoke on Saturday at the 49th convocation ceremony of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka. He said the financial situation had been worsened by the global economic downturn, which also affected the national revenue.

Buhari, who was represented at the ceremony by the Minister of State for Education, Emeka Nwajiuba, however, said his administration was committed to addressing the needs of tertiary institutions through budgetary allocations to the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFUND).

“I am optimistic that the on-going drive to diversify the national economy will provide the government with additional resources to improve funding for the education system,” he said.

The president said the universities should also leverage other funding sources, such as from alumni, friends, the private sector, institutional linkages, and research grants, to attract additional revenue for infrastructure, research, and development.

“We must also address the problems of poor work ethics and the albatross of prolonged and recurrent industrial actions by staff of universities,” the president stated.

Buhari advised academic institutions across the country to embark on the kind of innovative research that could help boost production and diversify the economy.

“Our universities must continue to emphasise training in entrepreneurship so school leavers and graduates are able to become job creators instead of perennial job seekers,” he said.

On his part, Minister of Transportation, Chibuike Amaechi, said the government should make effort to address the perennial challenge of poverty and inequality in the country or risk losing the youth to crime. Amaechi, who delivered the 49th convocation lecture of the university, stated that the series of protests held across the country of late, such as #ENDSARS, were as a result of increasing poverty and disaffection on the part of the citizens.

“Although, the current administration has introduced a number of programmes to help eradicate poverty, such as Transport Track for individuals who were into the transportation business, several Nigerians are yet to be lifted out of poverty,” the minister said.

He stated that policies should be focused on the rural majority, and targeted at giving the citizens a good life and lifting them out of poverty.

lalasticlala mynd44 Richiez, Fynestboi, olawalebabs

Source: https://www.arise.tv/nigeria-cannot-afford-funds-to-revive-education-buhari-says/
Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Funds To Revive Education, Buhari Says by FBIBOT(m): 5:59pm On Jun 13, 2021
But grazing routes can be opened

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Funds To Revive Education, Buhari Says by socialmediaman: 6:00pm On Jun 13, 2021
The president spoke on Saturday at the 49th convocation ceremony of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka. He said the financial situation had been worsened by the global economic downturn, which also affected the national revenue.

See who just banned Twitter in Nigeriaa and wants to go into a social media war, knowing tax paying Nigerians invested time and money into the platform to grow their fan base and promote their businesses to make money. There's so much wrong with this government.

I posted a previous article about what Nigeria stands to lose with the twitter ban: https://www.nairaland.com/6588967/nigeria-vs-twitter-feud-needs

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Funds To Revive Education, Buhari Says by budaatum: 6:02pm On Jun 13, 2021
The truth is bitter!

budaatum:

Its such a great pity people really do not know that Nigeria is not rich. So, let us educate the. educatables

Anyone who says Nigeria is rich should first state the population of Nigeria, and New York, and UK, then list the budget of New York and the education budget of UK and compare it with the total budget of Nigeria.

Perhaps factual evidence they see with their own eyes will convince them how poor we actually are.

budaatum:
The pictures are really bad. And while the title has a particular state in it, you'd find such dilapidated schools all over Nigeria and even in my own Osun State. So instead of us being ignorant and turning this into another tribe bashing thread, I do hope we will recognise how our dilapidated schools are a tool of oppression and who is oppressing us.

Hint: Schools are mostly run by the state.
Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Funds To Revive Education, Buhari Says by Generalnomercy: 6:03pm On Jun 13, 2021
Honestly I don't see any difference between Buhari and Bokoharam.

Both have same agenda.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Funds To Revive Education, Buhari Says by nero2face: 6:03pm On Jun 13, 2021
I won't comment until I see ur source...then I'll finish that stupid man

Modified....
Now I can confirm that Buhari is a founding father of Boko-Haram.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Funds To Revive Education, Buhari Says by socialmediaman: 6:04pm On Jun 13, 2021
nero2face:
I won't comment until I see ur source...then I'll finish that stupid man

Updated: https://www.arise.tv/nigeria-cannot-afford-funds-to-revive-education-buhari-says/
Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Funds To Revive Education, Buhari Says by nero2face: 6:10pm On Jun 13, 2021
socialmediaman:

Updated: https://www.arise.tv/nigeria-cannot-afford-funds-to-revive-education-buhari-says/
I see....ladies and gentlemen now I can confirm that Buhari is a founding father of Boko-Haram...
Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Funds To Revive Education, Buhari Says by Kandeed: 6:15pm On Jun 13, 2021
May God make this side of the world better, our protest Won't work neither will our vote. Damnn....may Nigeria recover

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Funds To Revive Education, Buhari Says by ifex370(m): 6:16pm On Jun 13, 2021
nero2face:
I see....ladies and gentlemen now I can confirm that Buhari is a founding father of Boko-Haram...

Looooooooooooooool. Take me back to the stone age. grin
Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Funds To Revive Education, Buhari Says by Welovekids1: 6:17pm On Jun 13, 2021
The system has been bastardized.

I pity the future generation. God no go shame us!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Funds To Revive Education, Buhari Says by Yusfunoble(m): 6:18pm On Jun 13, 2021
We can't afford this, we can't afford that.

What can this country afford sef?
Re: Nigeria Cannot Afford Funds To Revive Education, Buhari Says by Mynd44: 7:46pm On Jun 13, 2021

(1)

Job Opportunity For Writers (click For Details) / ASUU Strike:activist Donates 10m Towards Strike,calls Out Presidential Aspirants / IELTS Results; Do I Need To Collect The Original Results Below The Needed Point.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.