Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:21 AM

Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities (12082 Views)

We Must Address Restructuring Now – Obasanjo / Buhari: 'We Will Destroy Boko Haram, You Can’t Shout Allahu Akbar & Be Killing' / Five Issues Buhari Must Address Now He Is Back - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by November1857(m): 9:17am On Jun 13, 2021
President Muhammadu Buhari has said the Nigerian government cannot afford the amount of funding needed to revive the country’s educational system. Buhari also said the competition for funds had become keener because of the recent increase in the number of tertiary institutions in Nigeria.

The president spoke on Saturday at the 49th convocation ceremony of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka. He said the financial situation had been worsened by the global economic downturn, which also affected the national revenue.

Buhari, who was represented at the ceremony by the Minister of State for Education, Emeka Nwajiuba, however, said his administration was committed to addressing the needs of tertiary institutions through budgetary allocations to the Tertiary Education Trust Fund (TETFUND).

“I am optimistic that the on-going drive to diversify the national economy will provide the government with additional resources to improve funding for the education system,” he said.

The president said the universities should also leverage other funding sources, such as from alumni, friends, the private sector, institutional linkages, and research grants, to attract additional revenue for infrastructure, research, and development.

“We must also address the problems of poor work ethics and the albatross of prolonged and recurrent industrial actions by staff of universities,” the president stated.

Buhari advised academic institutions across the country to embark on the kind of innovative research that could help boost production and diversify the economy.

Our universities must continue to emphasise training in entrepreneurship so school leavers and graduates are able to become job creators instead of perennial job seekers,” he said.

On his part, Minister of Transportation, Chibuike Amaechi, said the government should make effort to address the perennial challenge of poverty and inequality in the country or risk losing the youth to crime. Amaechi, who delivered the 49th convocation lecture of the university, stated that the series of protests held across the country of late, such as #ENDSARS, were as a result of increasing poverty and disaffection on the part of the citizens.

Although, the current administration has introduced a number of programmes to help eradicate poverty, such as Transport Track for individuals who were into the transportation business, several Nigerians are yet to be lifted out of poverty,” the minister said.

He stated that policies should be focused on the rural majority, and targeted at giving the citizens a good life and lifting them out of poverty.

https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2021/06/13/buhari-fg-cannot-afford-funds-to-revive-education/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by November1857(m): 9:17am On Jun 13, 2021
But you can afford fund to build a railway to another country, Niger republic..

Buhari may soon introduce Almajiri system of education to the South grin

65 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by inoki247: 9:20am On Jun 13, 2021
okay good...

our Muslim Brothers should goan enrol in Ile Kewu (Arabic Class) be that...

And our Christian Brothers should goan Enrol for Sunday School Class.....

Me I know you can't give what you don't have person wey neva sure abt him O Level how he go tak send u 2 schl...

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by booblacain(m): 9:23am On Jun 13, 2021
but you had enough funds to build railway for your cousins in Niger.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by Xenry: 9:24am On Jun 13, 2021
To hell with Buhari and the fucking FG! sad

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by colorsofrainbow: 9:28am On Jun 13, 2021
November1857:

Na wetin i been wan talk be this

9 Likes

Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by money121(m): 9:31am On Jun 13, 2021
Noted
Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by rexlims(m): 9:34am On Jun 13, 2021
What do u expect from a NEPA bill holder.

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by Nobody: 9:36am On Jun 13, 2021
Hope una see am say no be only Lagos Bus he didn't have fund for cos of Endsars

The vegetable doesn't have fund for anything except ransom and Boko Haram

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by chatinent: 9:37am On Jun 13, 2021
Please remember that your illiterate senators earn over N13m monthly before you comment.

Man's government has failed.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by kettykin: 9:39am On Jun 13, 2021
Nigeria has not had it this bad, so much funds spent on security and nothing to spend on education. This is the opposite of how things should work

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by Nobody: 9:39am On Jun 13, 2021
inoki247:
okay good...

our Muslim Brothers should goan enrol in Ile Kewu (Arabic Class) be that...

And our Christian Brothers should goan Enrol for Sunday School Class.....

Me I know you can't give what you don't have person wey neva sure abt him O Level how he go tak send u 2 schl...
we know how it ended for Islamabad, Afgahnistan, Iran, Iraq, Syria when they did this

1 Like

Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by Tajbol4splend(m): 9:43am On Jun 13, 2021
Lawmakers are plucking 29.4 Million Naira every fvcking month and people shy away from them, no bills that help the common man, no bills of equity and people think our biggest problem is Buhari

The Governors receive half a billion security vote every month but they can't spend this money on security but instead using it to pay ransom and we are quick to blame Buhari

The Governors have technically abolished the Local Governments, which has indirectly reduced job creation and aided insecurity

Las las Buhari is guilty of his sins, and the sins of both the Lawmakers and Governors lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

4 Likes

Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by FalseProphet1(m): 9:53am On Jun 13, 2021
This man still talks like his campaigning, someone should remind him that he had already won the election 6 years ago. I see Nigerians demanding Buhari's resignation, I see their demands falling on deaf ears, I see buhari being forced out of aso rock, I see Nigeria liberated.

This I have seen.

10 Likes

Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by Icarus99(f): 9:53am On Jun 13, 2021
The problem is they designed the system in such a way that it would favor only the politicians, I mean you people owe workers salaries but you never default on the senators allowances basically paying them for doing absolutely nothing
Maybe we can take it from there, how can we have funds when half of the money goes to them senators and house of reps to fund their stupid life style
Is it not hypocrisy that some governors said they can’t pay the minimum wage which is not even up to $100
But the salaries of them REPS AND SENATORS dey enter on a reg

6 Likes

Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by cbrezy(m): 9:53am On Jun 13, 2021
smiley
Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by Egalitarian1: 9:54am On Jun 13, 2021
Na make talkingson be doingson na eim be my own.
Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by TimmyTen(m): 9:54am On Jun 13, 2021
Another unprecedented statement of a failed leader.
What’s hindering diversification of the economy?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by hakym619(m): 9:54am On Jun 13, 2021
Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by Seniorwriter(m): 9:55am On Jun 13, 2021
All talks but no feasible action.
Very clueless Mofos.
Icarus99:
The problem is they designed the system in such a way that it would favor only the politicians, I mean you people owe workers salaries but you never default on the senators allowances basically paying them for doing absolutely nothing
Maybe we can take it from there, how can we have funds when half of the money goes to them senators and house of reps to fund their stupid life style
Is it not hypocrisy that some governors said they can’t pay the minimum wage which is not even up to $100
But the salaries of them REPS AND SENATORS dey enter on a reg
Tajbol4splend:
Lawmakers are plucking 29.4 Million Naira every fvcking month and people shy away from them, no bills that help the common man, no bills of equity and people think our biggest problem is Buhari

The Governors receive half a billion security vote every month but they can't spend this money on security but instead using it to pay ransom and we are quick to blame Buhari

The Governors have technically abolished the Local Governments, which has indirectly reduced job creation and aided insecurity

Las las Buhari is guilty of his sins, and the sins of both the Lawmakers and Governors lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

We need young visionary leaders!!!

hakym619:

I need scholarship.

Are you brilliant or you have outstanding performance in your certificate or GP.?
hakym619:

I have a Diploma in occupational therapy (medical rehabilitation).
I intend to advance however no money to further my studies.

The course is not available as BSC in Nigeria.
Though you didn't answer my question ;Have you been offered admission in the institution(s) of the countries that have the course available since it's non available in Nigeria.?

@Seniorwriter
Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by JamParkMe: 9:55am On Jun 13, 2021
Its quite painful. My secondary school classmate Emeka Okafor from SS1 Alpha finished university 6yrs before me. Emeka used to come last 5 those days in school. He never cared about his studies, he only cared about being the best striker in our football squad. Every term, Emeka will magically dodge being asked to repeat a class; we suspect his father was greasing the palms of some very important people in the school.

Anyway, in SS1, luck ran out for Emeka and he was asked to repeat. I can remember Emeka crying like a hopeless chicken, his eyes was bloodshot red and he really thought his life was over. I stood by him in school that day he found out he will be repeating SS1 because I genuinely felt like he will commit suicide. You see Emeka wasn't a bully, but he loved to use seniority to have junior students run errands for him, he was panicking they will avenge his evil deeds

To cut a long story short, the following year, we heard Emeka had moved to the U.S with his family. He enrolled in one of the public schools there and he told me he was actually learning and doing very well in school. Somehow, Emeka was able to graduate highschool with honors, he then enrolled into a prestigious university with full scholarship. The last time I heard from him, he said he had finished medical school and was in his 2nd year of residency. He plans on becoming a brain surgeon some day. This guy finished university 6yrs before me, although he's still furthering his studies, he's light years ahead of me academically simply because he migrated to the U.S.

Now tell me, why should I recite the national anthem or wave my Nigerian flag? What have I benefited from this country to come out in public and say i'm proud of being Nigerian?

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by richmond500: 9:55am On Jun 13, 2021
This one that PMB has started talking, thank God o
Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by itoldu: 9:56am On Jun 13, 2021
Lol, Baba's Shai never ready this morning.

Entrepreneur open farm, na Cow and herdsmen finish am.
Student go Uni, na kidnappers and Terrorist take him life/worth.
Business dey run, na govt policy go just change overnight to feed greed.

Please where is the maishai na, make e hurry up.

1 Like

Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by TimmyTen(m): 9:56am On Jun 13, 2021
You are joking right?
ThisIsOurLand:
Education its not what we need now what we need it's for the cattle rearing business to be taking seriuosly by every citizen of Nigeria.
Every body should engage in cattle rearing cattle rearing is better
Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by oloyedewaris(m): 9:56am On Jun 13, 2021
All Christians are hypocrite, finished

On the other thread where that tribal mark model is complaining about religious assignment

See the way Christians are now changing story

If it had been islamic assignment, all they will be chanting is islamization

Bunch of alabosi
Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by TimmyTen(m): 9:56am On Jun 13, 2021
November1857:

Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by Rodwave: 9:58am On Jun 13, 2021
Good. Illiteracy should be promulgated in our new decree by emperor bamboohari.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: We Must Address Prolonged And Recurrent Strikes In Universities by Lanre4uonly(m): 9:58am On Jun 13, 2021
It is well.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Will Petrol Sell For N200/Litre In 2018? / Obiano Shows Off His Dancing Skills (Video, Photos) / Tinubu To Attend AU Mid-year Meeting In Kenya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.