Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,710 members, 7,831,221 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:45 PM

Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? (50259 Views)

Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? / Which Should Come First Between Career & Marriage In A Family? / Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by OAM4J: 12:29am On May 07, 2011
^^ol boy, can you stop spamming everywhere with this your add, its becoming ridiculous angry
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by shilling(f): 6:55am On May 07, 2011
I wonder why people care about something as trivial as invites? Seriously gurl, u getting married, who cares about the arrangement of names on the invites when you have the rest of your lives to live together as a couple.

Like chaircover said, keep an eye on that stubborn streak - not a good sign.
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Odunnu: 7:11am On May 07, 2011
Its the bride's name and her family's that come first.
Men sef!
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by searay(m): 7:49am On May 07, 2011
I dey laugh o! I thought someone was going to tell me why women names come first in IVs - but simply a tradition. In my area, traditional marriage n d white wedding use 2 b done on diff days, but someone came up with d idea of doing d two in a day,now it 's turnin 2 b d order of d day now.
Let's diz couple starts n see if others will not join them. I always dream to be an inventor. God bless me.
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by francisj(m): 8:27am On May 07, 2011
I wonder why a guy should be bothering on such issues !
As far as I am concern,my girlie/her people should b bother with that headache,what matter, is what comes
after the whole celebration,when you finally have your girlis[s][/s] wife
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Bawss1(m): 9:39am On May 07, 2011
Odunnu:

Its the bride's name and her family's that come first.
Men sef!

Says who? There is no fast rule that says whose names comes first second or third. This is how we encourage the dominance of trivialities, things that have no real bearing on the importance of the occasion.
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by magarchi: 10:20am On May 07, 2011
Tell ur fiance dat b4 marriage a woman is given more prominence, grin ;Dher name comes 1st on d iv,trad n wedding are done at her locations, she stays @ d right of d man b4 they are joined in church etc etc but immediately after d pronouncement of man nd wife, dat changes. D man is accorded more prominence as her name disappears altogether to become MR & MRS JOHN OKON BULL, nobody cares abt her name MARY, she wl always be on his left,in d car when they are being driven,when walking,some husbands evn insist she sleeps on d left side of d bed, so xplain to him , it shouldnt be a big deal though, he's jus trying to create his own effect tongue
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Busybody2(f): 10:47am On May 07, 2011
Busybody20

I see you have been drinking taba again abi, you wan try me ehn, shey because I did not want to oppress you and Ifyalways that I am posting from my limited edition wireless symbian android Siemenic Kokomobile, the creation of the infamous Dbanj, mscheewww. Please step aside and let people with correct phones like me waka, bet you didn't even know that it comes pre-programmed with one-touch access to the White House, The Waldorf Astoria, Access to any private jet of my choice, any superyatch I desire, Malibu beach houses, etc.

If not that I have too much class to be crass, I woulda been rubbing it in your face that only 20 was made for exclusive exotic posh people like me, ok Jennykadry was given one too, lol.

@ naijababe

Busybody20 and Jennykadry and I triplets, unfortunately. Bet you've heard the saying about how we can't choose our families huh! Well thank God the only similarity is our looks, I don't have none of those madness gene that is coursing through their vein. Thank God for small mercies ehn, lol.
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by denzel2009: 10:53am On May 07, 2011
^^^^Hey my sherikoko, I need you to sashay past me. I want to sing you a song. . . . 17 18 19 baby omode ni e . . .
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Busybody2(f): 10:58am On May 07, 2011
And who is that person with the audacity to say you will be joining the fridge and plasma on the list of your fiance's possession, what arrant nonsense, if I were you i won't stand up for such nonsense from Horny4u, psffft. I would have not minded if she had apportioned you joint access with his car, as that is still a prestigious position to occupy.

Don't allow her get away with such okay, and let me know if you need me to help you sit on her whilst you deal with her okay, her type needs to be taught a lesson, its the least I can do, lol.
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by shadrach77: 11:18am On May 07, 2011
i think like somebody rightly pointed out on this thread, there is no point in following a tradition just for the sake of doing so. At the end of the day it is your wedding and as such, whatever will make the two of you happy, you go ahead and do it cheesy cheesy cool
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Busybody2(f): 11:34am On May 07, 2011
Denzel2009

Abeg vamoose make I see front joo, I am slyly trying to get myself invited to this wedding, without making it too obvious of course because I have my posh high class babe reputation to maintain, that's why you love me innit. Please babe you see we are discussing serious wedding matter here, mehn we are talking 20 to 30 groomsmen plus the Bestman and this nor include the dashing delectable Brothers of the Bride and Groom yet oh, which means I am gping to be spoilt for choice of suitors, I would not be greedy this time, just 7 of the men would do me, one boyfriend for everyday of the week, oh the joy.
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Nobody: 11:36am On May 07, 2011
angry BB Wetin? wen I dey my own,you must join my name for ya convo. ki lo de? angry

pls  I am not using dat fone dbanj was constructing with the help of omo alaba's as he was ontop genny. OAM4JENNY got me a 64gb iphone the same day apple dude launch am. Dayo got me a second hand BB because I no gree am smell my brassiere embarassed saga got me HTC. so pls no degrade me, that ya dbanj fone wey the music sound dey sound like a remix version of princess njideka and prince okeke ''Akanchawa'' musik grin.
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Ojumiii(m): 11:49am On May 07, 2011
Let your man have his way in my own opinion, it doest matter though whose name come first anyway but i have always wounder y that arrangement anyway.

let me share this little story with the house. i know a couple with this same point of contention b4 there wedding, the man want his name to come first on the wedding IV but lady insisted on the ground that it tradition for her name to come first and everyone agreed with her and i can tell u that was the beginning of there problems.

today almost 4 years after there wedding, the man still treat her like his GF, no child, keep late night and have another visible stable GF, if the wife complain he will bluntly said that "common you have married me but i have not marry you yet and i am not ready now" adding that i he want his own wedding first but wife insisted on her having hers first so, let her wait for me to be ready.

so, let every wedding be handled as the two couple pleases, most important thing is joy at the end of the day.

Thanks
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Busybody2(f): 11:53am On May 07, 2011
Ha ha ha, Jenny, nor talk about my kokophone like that na, okay the music aspect could do with a bit of finetuning, but can any of those phones those serekode's with their tontirin sokotos, bought for you, be pointed to a takeaway menu and in an instant have piping hot Chinese food delivered to your doorsteps ehn or can you just whisper haoirdresser or masseuse and have them knock on your door within minutes, ehn mschewwww, oh okay I forgot twas the dummy prototype they gave you seeing as you nor be current and happening BIG babe like me, lol.

And talking of that Sagamite, he has been ignoring my phonecalls, email, BBpings, YIMs, and even my Kokopings sef, but I only said I would take only 65% as divorce settlements na, from where I am standing, surely that is a reasonable figure though, besides everyone knows that women's things costs more than men's so even if it is his money, my needs are still higher than his, well we can't please everybody, o ga o.
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by busybody20: 12:05pm On May 07, 2011
@post

At this rate, your man will complain of every petty thing after una marry e.g disposing old kitchen utensils, plates, cutlery etc

@B_B,

y u dey follow yasef talk na as Jenny lol grin I b think say u b d same persin sef lol cheesy grin

****zooms out of thread****
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Nobody: 12:11pm On May 07, 2011
PLEASE I am not BB. BB cannot stand my beauty and intelligence.INTEL has it that the reason why she's flocking around me is to tap from my wisdom.

We might be room mates but definitely not on the same drugs. BB IS ON DRUGS USED TO TAME WILD ANIMALS LIKE:LION TIGER etc. I am on drugs used to attract TOO-HARD-TO-GET-MEN. Big difference I say.
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by tennyinfo: 12:13pm On May 07, 2011
Hmm, marriage requires diligency. What I knw dat has bn is dat marriage is primarily been celebrated by d wifes family nt d grooms, which is why d wifes family name and brides name comes first.
Moreso theres evry tendncy dat in d past it has bn agreed dat d wifes name should always cme 1st jst to reduce d predominance of mens world as they use d word "she" for countrys and oda things
Anyway congrats
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Busybody2(f): 12:13pm On May 07, 2011
Jennykadri and BB20

This is your last warning, the fact that we are triplets does not mean we have to date the same people or share men, na me say make dem slap you two with the ugly stick at birth, mschewwww.
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Amjustme: 12:23pm On May 07, 2011
My dear, its not a big deal whose name comes first, if its a christain marriage you have to start learning the submission thingy from now, always discuss issues with your husband but when you have prayed and talked and he still feels,it should be done his way, you have to submit. This is just one of such moments, if you start talking with other family members about this, ur inviting third parties into future decisions in ur home, be prayerful and cautious even to the advices you receive on this thread. May GOD bless your union.
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by busybody20: 12:25pm On May 07, 2011
tennyinfo:

Hmm, marriage requires diligency. What I knw dat has bn is dat [size=15pt]marriage is primarily been celebrated by d wifes family nt d grooms[/size], which is why d wifes family name and brides name comes first.
Moreso theres evry tendncy dat in d past it has bn agreed dat d wifes name should always cme 1st jst to reduce d predominance of mens world as they use d word "she" for countrys and oda things
Anyway congrats

Are you kidding me? Tell me something else  undecided
Am just me:

My dear, its not a big deal whose name comes first, if its a christain marriage you have to start learning the submission thingy from now, always discuss issues with your husband but when you have prayed and talked and he still feels,it should be done his way, you have to submit. This is just one of such moments, if you start talking with other family members about this, your inviting third parties into future decisions in your home,[size=15pt] be prayerful and cautious even to the advices you receive on this thread[/size]. May GOD bless your union.

grin   grin   grin

[s]una don start again. If you catch your hubby on top your friend LIVE, even if he beat u like say u b criminal and landed in d hospital  just kneel down and pray about it
[/s]
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Princek12(m): 12:53pm On May 07, 2011
As usual, a substantial majority of women will advocate in favor of following a long-standing practice when it suits or benefits them. Many women here are saying that the woman's name should come first because of its long-standing practice, not because of any other logical reason.

However, when these same women are confronted with another scenario in which men advocate for the continuance of a behavior because of its long-standing practice, these same women will revolt and say that such practice should change if such practice does not benefit them. This is feminist mentality to say the least, always cherry-picking when you want to be treated like a lady--obviously when it benefits women.

I don't think I have personally noticed a pattern of whose name comes first on the invitation, probably because I am not cognizant of such things, but I think whatever the long-standing practice is should control here. Presumably, it had been done that way for good reasons, not for malicious or invidiously discriminatory reasons.
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Bawss1(m): 1:02pm On May 07, 2011
Well said Princek12. Good post
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by elikiba(m): 1:23pm On May 07, 2011
My dear this is africa and in africa it is the man that pays the bride price so his name should come first just like they do in England where the groom's name comes first because he is the one paying the bride price. we copied this whole shit from Yankee and India where it is the woman that pay the dowry and not the man that is why in their cards the ladies family comes first.

For me this is africa the man paying the dowry name should come first and all of you saying the lady is because you are use to such thing that was copied from abroad.

Why i dey even comment for this kind topic self oh girl if you no want your man name to come first call off the wedding make you see who go lose. for your information na you oh. the man go continue from where him stop call the other girl in his life for and use the things when him buy for una wedding just marry another person highest them go use tippest clean your name write another girl name, then you go they house till menopause come because you want your name to come first just remember men no dey see menopause so at any age them go still marry and start a family.

Enjoy your self and forget people opinion on a matter when be say na you go still dey the guy house 20 years from now no body from naira land go dey there with you.

Peace am out of here i need some KK so life my spirit.
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Busybody2(f): 1:27pm On May 07, 2011
Bawss

What is good about his mundane post? Does everything have to be a war between the 2 sexes? All everyone here is saying is if you are gonna follow the oyinbo tradition of having a white wedding, they might as well toe the line of the same tradition and put the ladies name first then.

Na wetin be the biggie about whose name should take precedence, dem dey take am collect money from the bank or what, mscheewww, these men sef, and small time dem go dey talk say women are petty, taking offence solely cos women are saying let tradition win the day, na wa oh, Nigerian women don suffer sha.

@BB20

Trying to be sleek ehn and pretending you are giving advise abi, advise wey you no remember say you wan give before abi, shior, I know your game, you are still hanging around on this thread because of those groomsmen abi, you are getting none, barawo, potential husband snatcher oshi, lol.
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by OAM4J: 1:54pm On May 07, 2011
Busy_body:

@BB20

Trying to be sleek ehn and pretending you are giving advise abi, advise wey you no remember say you wan give before abi, shior, I know your game, you are still hanging around on this thread because of those groomsmen abi, you are getting none, barawo, potential husband snatcher oshi, lol.

And na untop wetin you wan get 7 of the groom's men? after how many divorces and after how many children? You don check yourself for mirror lately? Make you no let all those 'ko-stay' wey saga bought you dey deceive u o

Abeg carry your kokomycin 3310 fone commot road jor make young girls take see we the fine groom's men. cool grin
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Princek12(m): 1:59pm On May 07, 2011
Busy_body:

Bawss

What is good about his mundane post? Does everything have to be a war between the 2 sexes? All everyone here is saying is if you are gonna follow the oyinbo tradition of having a white wedding, they might as well toe the line of the same tradition and put the ladies name first then.

Na wetin be the biggie about whose name should take precedence, dem dey take am collect money from the bank or what, mscheewww, these men sef, and small time dem go dey talk say women are petty, taking offence solely cos women are saying let tradition win the day, na wa oh, Nigerian women don suffer sha.

@BB20

I am not disagreeing with you. My point is that if that same Oyinbo tradition had a practice of putting a man's name first, these women will say you should not follow it. But in Prince Wiliiam and Kate's wedding, Prince William's name came first before Kate's. So I don't even know which Oyinbo tradition you are talking about?
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Bawss1(m): 2:00pm On May 07, 2011
Firstly I think that the person's name that comes first or second is completely inconsequential. Nothing could be more trivial than that. Secondly there is no social rule that dictates this occurrence. I don't even think westerners have a set way of doing this (see the picture of the wedding IV I posted earlier). However many female posters here say that the lady's name should come first  because its a long standing practice and not because of any other logical reason - an observation by Princek12 which I agree with. The ladies want their names to come first? Fine let it be so. To fuss over this is completely unnecessary.

Highlighted below are Princek12 lines that I think are excellently said.

Princek12:

As usual, a substantial majority of women will advocate in favor of following a long-standing practice when it suits or benefits them. Many women here are saying that the woman's name should come first because of its long-standing practice, not because of any other logical reason.

However, when these same women are confronted with another scenario in which men advocate for the continuance of a behavior because of its long-standing practice, these same women will revolt and say that such practice should change if such practice does not benefit them. [/b]This is feminist mentality to say the least, always cherry-picking when you want to be treated like a lady--obviously when it benefits women.

I don't think I have personally noticed a pattern of whose name comes first on the invitation, probably because I am not cognizant of such things, but I think whatever the long-standing practice is should control here. [b]Presumably, it had been done that way for good reasons, not for malicious or invidiously discriminatory reasons.

Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by tennyinfo: 2:02pm On May 07, 2011
busybody20:

Are you kidding me? Tell me something else  undecided
grin   grin   grin

U knw se na sent forth now. lol. so they are the one hosting.
Anyway, I think it is high time we define our own standards in Nigeria as this whole copy cat thing is really causing confusions.
We dont even know if we speak american or Uk english self. At least make we have Nigerian standard ways of doing things abeg
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by elikiba(m): 2:03pm On May 07, 2011
Why i dey even comment for this kind topic self oh girl if you no want your man name to come first call off the wedding make you see who go lose. for your information na you oh. the man go continue from where him stop call the other girl in his life for and use the things when him buy for una wedding just marry another person highest them go use tippest clean your name write another girl name, then you go they house till menopause come because you want your name to come first just remember men no dey see menopause so at any age them go still marry and start a family.

Enjoy your self and forget people opinion on a matter when be say na you go still dey the guy house 20 years from now no body from naira land go dey there with you.

Babe If i be you becos him no put my name first i go say i no go marry am that he is oppressing me as a woman then i go come wait to see who go lose me the woman or him when be man. Oloshi no go marry they find which name come first
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by nkonyema: 2:29pm On May 07, 2011
well i think its cos d man ASKS d woman to marry him and the woman AGREES to do so. so technically d woman is wedding the man.
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by ypad: 3:19pm On May 07, 2011
I have to be honest to you my dear, your man is perfectly correct. It is the man that wed's the woman and not the other way round. He brings you into his home, you also bear his name. the origin of female name coming first in the IV before the man started during the campaign for gender equality.
God has designed it that man is the head, we can not change it. For the fact that your man's name comes first does not make you insignificant in his sight but it shows the virtue of humility which every men cherish. Be wise and do not care about what your friends may say, follow your man, he got it. you can get more infor here. www.greatwomanwithlove..com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Wedding Estimate 4 Years Ago / My Son's Girlfriend Comes To Our House To Sleep Everyday / Help! My Husband Is Acting Funny!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.