Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,522 members, 7,816,277 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:40 AM

Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? - Family (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? (50193 Views)

Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? / Which Should Come First Between Career & Marriage In A Family? / Love Or Submission...which Should Come First In Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by adconline(m): 4:24pm On May 07, 2011
What's the big deal? Greater fights are coming. Hope you all have mastered how much a tin of similac is going to cost?

On a lighter note, why do most women favour tradition when it benefits them? Like the issue of the woman changing her last name to her husband's last name was said to be a bad tradition by some women. Nobody said anything about Prince William's name coming first!
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Dsense(m): 5:20pm On May 07, 2011
OP.
The man's name first undecided
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by sweeti14(f): 6:13pm On May 07, 2011
Does it really matter undecided. . . . d main thing is for the IV to reach the invitees abi? #justsaying
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by babyme1(f): 7:49pm On May 07, 2011
Thanks y'all for ur nice and not-so-nice comments. We've agreed to have the card with his name first.

This decision was reached when we couldn't find any good reason why it shouldn't be so apart from the fact that it's a long time tradition. We believe that the reason is not good enough, and as someone said,it's our wedding so we can afford to make the rules. Thanks again for your inputs. More Blessings!
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Bawss1(m): 8:26pm On May 07, 2011
So when are we getting our invites? I certainly don't want to miss out on the jellof rice at the reception.
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by mamagee3(f): 8:42pm On May 07, 2011
The couple's friends and well-wishers. . .

And then names of outsiders. .
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Nobody: 9:08pm On May 07, 2011
d girl family no dey orgainse Jack.Unless she don old well well, and na push b4 the guy go see sense.
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Nobody: 9:19pm On May 07, 2011
adconline:

What's the big deal? Greater fights are coming. Hope you all have mastered how much a tin of similac is going to cost?

On a lighter note, why do most women favour tradition when it benefits them? Like the issue of the woman changing her last name to her husband's last name was said to be a bad tradition by some women. Nobody said anything about Prince William's name coming first! The guy didn't have any ring for himself.

Women have different definitions on things to suit them. They call Dowry, Bride price.Praying to God for answers while they are considering if you cld be the one.A woman wants to be on top: Dr Mrs, Police Officer, Chief but when thieves knock the door, she will tell u to go and welcome them.The man first when there is a danger but them first when there isn't. I remember one joke, a couple was traveling to the East and when accosted by robbers, the robbers asked the man ur money or ur life, he responded my wife.The woman shouted, they asked ur life.
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Uchero(m): 12:19am On May 08, 2011
There is nothing wrong with whose name to come first on wedding card,but don't forget the saying that says "ladies and gentle men"this means that ladies should come first[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Uchero(m): 12:19am On May 08, 2011
There is nothing wrong with whose name to come first on wedding card,but don't forget the saying that says "ladies and gentle men"this means that ladies should come first[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Ndipe(m): 12:48am On May 08, 2011
Uchero:

Chivalry is perhaps behind this reasoning which is common in the west.
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by UncleJJ(m): 12:49pm On May 08, 2011
I have always felt, the mans name should come first. Everyone, keeps saying the woman's should come first; nobody say's why.

The poster husband to be is not a bad person, he just wants everyone to know who is boss and there is nothing wrong with that except ur by one of this "educated the television chicks" who think otherwise.

When i get married my name is coming first on that card, whether she like it or not - Check the first page of this thread, the prince's wedding IV say's it all .

When the man marries the woman, he's name comes first. When the woman marries the man, her name comes first.
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by armyofone(m): 3:26pm On May 08, 2011
OP, anything wey him say, fine o. as long as you love him and he is stinky rich grin wink after marriage eh, come show am say you don come and decision no be only man side e dey wink

most pple who will be getting the card are already aware Nkem is marry Ada and are coming there to wack belle ful. so let it be bo.
cheers.
nowadays guys sef wahala too me eh!
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Busybody2(f): 6:07pm On May 08, 2011
Princek12:

I am not disagreeing with you. My point is that if that same Oyinbo tradition had a practice of putting a man's name first, these women will say you should not follow it. But in Prince Wiliiam and Kate's wedding, Prince William's name came first before Kate's. So I don't even know which Oyinbo tradition you are talking about?

Err, why does everyone keep mentioning Prince Williams as an example undecided Was that not the same wedding those commentators unfailingly reminded us every one minute that the wife-to-be was a commoner undecided So on this basis, is she not lucky she even got her name printed on the same paper as his cheesy

Owitshiwitshi, see them comparing themselves to the future king of England grin
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Bawss1(m): 7:31pm On May 08, 2011
Hasn't this issue been cleared already? undecided
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Busybody2(f): 10:06pm On May 08, 2011
Bawss1:

Hasn't this issue been cleared already? undecided

Well, until we get our invitation letter in the mail to confirm with our own two korokoro eyes whose name came first, how are we supposed to know, duh tongue
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by igbi: 11:48am On May 09, 2011
I had the same question during my wedding plans, its 2 years now i cant remember if it was my name or his that came first!
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by sandokaa: 12:59pm On May 09, 2011
The groom must be an Ibo man! Nna, he is the one marrying the girl now, so why should his name be hidden behind her own? Abeg, na only woman wrapper go gree for that kind nonsense! It is either the man's name come first or no marriage!
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Bawss1(m): 1:14pm On May 09, 2011
^Give it a rest. I am Igbo and I don't share your views, besides this issue has been closed hasn't it.
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by babyme1(f): 2:27pm On May 09, 2011
sandokaa:

The groom must be an Ibo man! Nna, he is the one marrying the girl now, so why should his name be hidden behind her own? Abeg, na only woman wrapper go gree for that kind nonsense! It is either the man's name come first or no marriage!

He isn't Igbo. I don't know why everything must be judged along tribal lines here
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Nobody: 2:40pm On May 09, 2011
Topic

Seriously is this what 2 grownups should be arguing about? you better watch out for that stubborn side of him. . . . . . . .''he is loving''  , ''it's what makes him sexy'' , he allows me voice my opinions'' e.t.c . . . . keep making excuses for him now instead of working on a way to settle that  unnecessarily stubborn side of him. You are busy finding it sexy undecided e go dawn on you . . . . . . to be married, e dey shark like pammy I can live with it ,I find it sexy e.t.c na today undecided

My 2cents.Accept it or leave it
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by babyme1(f): 2:53pm On May 09, 2011
jennykadry:

Topic

Seriously is this what 2 grownups should be arguing about? you better watch out for that stubborn side of him. . . . . . . .''he is loving''  , ''it's what makes him sexy'' , he allows me voice my opinions'' e.t.c . . . . keep making excuses for him now instead of working on a way to settle that  unnecessarily stubborn side of him. You are busy finding it sexy undecided e go dawn on you . . . . . . to be married, e dey shark like pammy I can live with it ,I find it sexy e.t.c na today undecided

My 2cents.Accept it or leave it

Don't worry ma'am. He is a perfect gentleman. Thanks smiley
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by zayhal(f): 5:15pm On May 09, 2011
Though the issue is almost closed, I found something interesting here:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-137669.0.html
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by DJA: 11:22am On May 10, 2011
This is a true reprsentation of the saying "Much ado about nothing". The man marries(takes in) the woman, since he's d one that proposes, while the woman gets married to (accepts) the man. So the grammatical construction determines whose name comes first. Whatever the case be careful of public opinion on marriage issues, as there a lot of subtle home-spoiling counsels, capable of reaping your union apart. Let the Bible,Holy Spirit and true Christian advice be your guide. Marriage is all about necessary compromise, remember no real man cherishes when his authority is questioned, but appreciates when softly and respectfully advised. But because something has been in practise does not always make it right"
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Stepheolu: 11:48am On May 10, 2011
I think man should be the one wedding the woman, this is the high time the old fashion be changed. Mine is on the way and my name is undoubtedly coming first.
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by Dungren1(m): 12:13pm On May 10, 2011
OP,

The man's name comes first 'cos he's the one marrying the lady.

I know churches that don't accept the lady's name coming first, as a result they inspect the I.V before it is printed.

Have a happy married life.
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by babyme1(f): 1:50pm On May 10, 2011
DJA:

This is a true reprsentation of the saying "Much ado about nothing". The man marries(takes in) the woman, since he's d one that proposes, while the woman gets married to (accepts) the man. So the grammatical construction determines whose name comes first. Whatever the case be careful of public opinion on marriage issues, as there a lot of subtle home-spoiling counsels, capable of reaping your union apart. Let the Bible,Holy Spirit and true Christian advice be your guide. Marriage is all about necessary compromise, remember no real man cherishes when his authority is questioned, but appreciates when softly and respectfully advised. But because something has been in practise does not always make it right"
Nice one. Thanks man.

@Stepheolu congrat in advance.

Dungren*:

OP,

The man's name comes first 'cos he's the one marrying the lady.

[b]I know churches that don't accept the lady's name coming first, as a result they inspect the I.V before it is print[/b]ed.

Have a happy married life.

Really? I didn't know churches consider such things.
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by agathamari(f): 8:27pm On May 10, 2011
im sorry but if he is willing to call off the entire wedding over the position of teh names on the invitation there are deeper issues here. this is a time to sit back and think. if your cerimony hinges on his name placement what will be brought up in the future, what other trivial things are going to cause dramatic ultimatums in the future?
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by babyme1(f): 9:05am On May 11, 2011
agathamari:

im sorry but if he is willing to call off the entire wedding over the position of teh names on the invitation there are deeper issues here. this is a time to sit back and think. if your cerimony hinges on his name placement what will be brought up in the future, what other trivial things are going to cause dramatic ultimatums in the future?

Sorry ma'am, where in the my post did you see me state that he wants to call off the wedding? I said that he wants to know the reason why it's the woman first and not the man, and that we may not have a card if he doesn't see a good reason why it should be so. Na wa o!
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by armyofone(m): 1:10pm On May 11, 2011
grin grin grin grin
your post come dey develop him own leg and wings baa grin
dem come add maggi, salt, pepper and ogiri put grin

i no fit laugh grin
baby.me:

Sorry ma'am, where in the my post did you see me state that he wants to call off the wedding? I said that he wants to know the reason why it's the woman first and not the man, and that we may not have a card if he doesn't see a good reason why it should be so. Na wa o!
Re: Whose Name Should Come First On The Wedding Invitations? by princejoh(m): 9:34am On May 16, 2011
@babyme -- de man is damm right  it maybe a mistake to other IV card as he said,  but de truth is de man name shuld come first unless if de woman is sponsoring de wedding den her name can come first. smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Neighbour Punishes His 16-year-old Daughter By Stripping Her Unclad / Nigerian Couple Seeking Divorce Storm Court In Matching Outfit(pic) / Help! My Husband Is Acting Funny!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.