Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,770 members, 7,955,928 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 06:54 PM

UNN Best Graduating Students To Share N1.5k, N1k Cash Prizes - Pictures - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNN Best Graduating Students To Share N1.5k, N1k Cash Prizes - Pictures (40196 Views)

Chinelo Okafor Jennifer Receives 26000 As UNN Best Graduating Student In Faculty / Chinelo Okafor, UNN Best Graduating Student (Faculty Of Health Science) / UNILORIN Worst & Best Graduating Students Get Scholarship To Study In Oxford, UK (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNN Best Graduating Students To Share N1.5k, N1k Cash Prizes - Pictures by Reference(m): 11:08pm On Jun 16, 2021
9jaRealist:

Btw, just for the record….
I do NOT personally watch BBN, but have absolutely nothing against it.

Nonetheless, please explain to the rest of us what exactly is “base” about a value system that basically rewarded PRIVATE enterprise that created a LEGAL product that was apparently enjoyed by MILLIONS of people (who were actually willing to pay for it) both inside and outside Nigeria? Is it the JOBS created for the wide range of Nigerians involved - content creators, producers, architects, builders, designers, marketers, advertisers, suppliers, artisans, technicians, security, administrative personnel, etc.? Is it the livelihoods sustained by these jobs or is it the tax revenue that accrued to the government from income and corporate taxes and other charges and/or licenses?

A great thing about the human experience is VARIETY and diversity. Not everyone is going to be lawyer, engineer, doctor, healthcare or other professional or a scientist or teacher or (increasingly in Nigeria) a bible-thumping pastor. LET A MILLION FLOWERS BLOOM!!
>

Oh, that is simple. Resources go to where interests lie. If little or nothing goes to rewarding educational dexterity and enterprise it clearly speaks volumes.

That is why we may excel in entertainment and the arts but cannot solve simple national challenges that affect all things and all people.

Societies that have even greater degrees of success in the things we boast about still find it in themselves to value education and celebrate performances there.
Re: UNN Best Graduating Students To Share N1.5k, N1k Cash Prizes - Pictures by 9jaRealist: 11:27pm On Jun 16, 2021
Reference:
Oh, that is simple. Resources go to where interests lie. If little or nothing goes to rewarding educational dexterity and enterprise it clearly speaks volumes.

That is why we may excel in entertainment and the arts but cannot solve simple national challenges that affect all things and all people.

Societies that have even greater degrees of success in the things we boast about still find it in themselves to value education and celebrate performances there.

So how does that differ in SUBSTANCE from my initial point (admittedly made tongue-in-cheek) that perhaps folks like them spent millions of Naira watching/voting on UNN exams, the students will get BBN-type rewards/recognition?

PRIVATE “resources” in those societies that have “even greater degrees of success” in practically EVERYTHING (including education) go to investments where it can derive a return - just as BBN did (and most PRIVATE Nigerian schools and universities are doing). Meanwhile, Nigeria excels in entertainment, arts and the creative industries primarily because these are about the only areas in Nigeria NOT driven, dominated or more precisely contaminated by the government and/or governmental involvement. These areas are almost entirely PRIVATELY-driven in Nigeria, and that alone should be a succinct lesson of the efficacy and utility of PRIVATE enterprise.

Nonetheless, your response betrays the real underlying issue that you folks have with BBN. When you use (or misuse) phrases like “values” what you (and I suspect the rest) are actually referring to is morality (more precisely, your own PERSONAL senses of morality, which apparently you desire to impose on the rest of society). That’s why instead of focusing on the VALUES of private enterprise creating content and generating JOBS and tax revenues (which of course the government can channel into education), you are instead deriding and denigrating “entertainment”, even though it probably ranks as one of the biggest employers of Nigerian youth!
>
Re: UNN Best Graduating Students To Share N1.5k, N1k Cash Prizes - Pictures by EvenBlogger: 11:46pm On Jun 16, 2021
yrret:
My child; be a Daughter or Son will first learn how to repair cars, generators or refrigerators atleast have something doing before gaining admission.

Today's schooling get as e be.

Never let your child go into school without a good WhatsApp Groups 2021 practical skill.

He/she must have received or earn money from that skill before I buy jamb form for such child.

Real jobs are are not available anymore while contract jobs na super connection.

Be your skill!

Re: UNN Best Graduating Students To Share N1.5k, N1k Cash Prizes - Pictures by 9jaRealist: 11:58pm On Jun 16, 2021
Reference:

Btw, Nigerians actually channel massive amounts of “resources” to education…

Apart from the myriad PRIVATE Nigerians and Nigerian organizations that have set up scores of educational institutions, tens of thousands of Nigerians channel hard-earned “resources” to schools and universities every year. Unfortunately, most of it is wasted on PUBLIC institutions and universities that are largely CRAP - and while funding is part of the problem of public institutions, it is hardly the greatest problem. Rather issues like mediocrity, federal character, quota system, corruption, sex-for-grades, grades-for-printouts, incompetence, intermittent strikes, etc., all play significant roles. It’s no coincidence that PRIVATE institutions in Nigeria at every level are easily some of the very BEST. PRIVATE enterprise recognizes one reality - deliver or die. PUBLIC institutions are simply glued to the Treasury’s tit!
>
Re: UNN Best Graduating Students To Share N1.5k, N1k Cash Prizes - Pictures by generalwo(m): 1:24am On Jun 17, 2021
viviangist:

Source; https://www.instagram.com/p/CQK68fyLQnX/
.. ND THE ONE THAT GAVE A BJ ON LIVE TV IS FLYING UPADAN GETTING ENDORSEMENT DEALS HIA AND DIA..... BELIEVE IT OR NOT, NOTHING GOOD PAYS IN NIGERIA MORE THAN EVIL.... AND THAT EXPLAINS WHY KIDNAPPERS ARE RICHER THAN SECURITY PERSONNEL, ILLITERATES ARE RICHER THAN EDUCATED PEOPLE, PEOPLE ARE PUSH HARD DRUGS ARE RICHER THAN CONFORMED MEDICAL DOCTORS AND SO ON AND SO 4RT
Re: UNN Best Graduating Students To Share N1.5k, N1k Cash Prizes - Pictures by 9jaRealist: 1:43am On Jun 17, 2021
generalwo:
.. ND THE ONE THAT GAVE A BJ ON LIVE TV IS FLYING UPADAN GETTING ENDORSEMENT DEALS HIA AND DIA..... BELIEVE IT OR NOT, NOTHING GOOD PAYS IN NIGERIA MORE THAN EVIL.... AND THAT EXPLAINS WHY KIDNAPPERS ARE RICHER THAN SECURITY PERSONNEL, ILLITERATES ARE RICHER THAN EDUCATED PEOPLE, PEOPLE ARE PUSH HARD DRUGS ARE RICHER THAN CONFORMED MEDICAL DOCTORS AND SO ON AND SO 4RT

First, money is apparently the highest value in life to you…
And you apparently equate worth (and probably your self-worth) with money.

Nonetheless, why shouldn’t an “illiterate” like Razak Okoya, the son of a poor tailor who worked his tail off and pulled himself up by his bootstraps be richer than “educated” lazy professors always on strikes and engaging in sex-for-grade harassment of students young enough to be their daughters? Why shouldn’t a poor “illiterate” elementary school dropout and orphan like Cosmas Maduka (Coscharis) who worked against all odds to become a billionaire (and eventually go do an EMP at Harvard) not be richer than some self-entitled “educated” Nairalander who spends all of his time wailing instead of working? Sadly, it’s this mentality that underlies the certificate-chasing culture (which btw is distinct from education, because education is not confined to classrooms and certifications) of Nigerians.
>
Re: UNN Best Graduating Students To Share N1.5k, N1k Cash Prizes - Pictures by Jdbrasco2: 9:40am On Jun 17, 2021
kelechiodo:

It's not an error. The awards were actually instituted in early 80s when naira has value. Unfortunately, the boards of trustees of those entities have not increased the value of the award to reflect the present inflation realities.
This is the only rational post. I wonder how most people on NL didn't get that. I believe more resasonable sponsorship for such awards will motivate students to aim higher.
Re: UNN Best Graduating Students To Share N1.5k, N1k Cash Prizes - Pictures by generalwo(m): 10:50am On Jun 17, 2021
9jaRealist:

First, money is apparently the highest value in life to you…
And you apparently equate worth (and probably your self-worth) with money.

Nonetheless, why shouldn’t an “illiterate” like Razak Okoya, the son of a poor tailor who worked his tail off and pulled himself up by his bootstraps be richer than “educated” lazy professors always on strikes and engaging in sex-for-grade harassment of students young enough to be their daughters? Why shouldn’t a poor “illiterate” elementary school dropout and orphan like Cosmas Maduka (Coscharis) who worked against all odds to become a billionaire (and eventually go do an EMP at Harvard) not be richer than some self-entitled “educated” Nairalander who spends all of his time wailing instead of working? Sadly, it’s this mentality that underlies the certificate-chasing culture (which btw is distinct from education, because education is not confined to classrooms and certifications) of Nigerians.
>
...... And what does Tony kabaka of Edo state and Mc oluomo of Lagos do that justifies them being richer than 80 percent of first degree holders in Nigeria?
Re: UNN Best Graduating Students To Share N1.5k, N1k Cash Prizes - Pictures by Kayjoshy: 1:10pm On Jun 18, 2021
I am not even gobsmacked at all. I had an opportunity to be the BGS in my department then- 2019, but all i received was an audio money, unfulfilled promised of an automatic employment and audio prizes announced on the convocation day.
Education in NIGERIA has 99% lost its keys to bringing someone to limelight. It is well. I strongly believe someday, God will answer my prayer. I will never quit- i am still gonna secure a good job by His Grace.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Oreoluwa Emerges Unilorin’s Best With 4.92 Cgpa / Jamb Registration Turns Bloody In Makurdi As 1 Person Said To Be Shot By Police / People With Incredible Bodies Featured In The Guinness World Records

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.