Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,808 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:52 AM

What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? (18749 Views)

Whats The Worst Experience You've Had At A Job? / Amaiden Energy salary negotiation / 8 Salary Negotiation Mistakes To Avoid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by SonyaSpence: 10:32pm On Jun 17, 2021
Na long story grin
Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by Nobody: 10:35pm On Jun 17, 2021
Robertkenny:
Adepetun Robert Kehinde

Do your homework before you get to the salary negotiation and KNOW your market worth. That being said, some HR personnel will pause for a long time after you state your salary requirement. This is a tactic they employ to make you uncomfortable & doubt your salary requirement and make you blurt out: “well its negotiable”……don’t ever say that!… because then they got you and will undoubtedly offer you less. Stick to your original salary figure no matter how long they pause or try to talk you down. Be business smart.

Shared from Bogger

Kindly share you cleverest salary negotiation.
This bogger wetin e be, na website or platform for people to share Nigeria wahala.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by cleantitleautos: 10:40pm On Jun 17, 2021
Got a job by recommendation from a big uncle and it got to that point where I was asked my day rate expectation. It almost slipped from my mouth to say 50k/ day! Thank God for His Spirit. I just told the interviewer to tell me how much they'll be offering, so we can take it up from there. He then said $100-150/day ( I would have short-changed myself negotiating in Naira). Finally, by God's Grace, I got the uppermost band!

8 Likes

Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by Billionaireboy1: 10:41pm On Jun 17, 2021
just finished with am employer from 20k per month to 15k. though I will only go there thrice every month. just finished with am employer from 20k per month to 15k. though I will only go there thrice every month
Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by ScrillyGOAT: 10:51pm On Jun 17, 2021
SportsHD:
Person just derail the thread with gbajabiamila 2018 matter.
The guy na GOAT grin
SportsHD:
The guy na GOAT

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by Seniorwriter(m): 10:54pm On Jun 17, 2021
teebaxy:
House leader, *Hon Femi Gbajabiamila* who bought a G wagon Mercedes allegedly valued at 100 million Naira, branded with special plate number: *ASSURANCE* for his wife as a present for her 50th birthday came under attack in his Law school WhatsApp group *class of 84*. The tantrums below:

*PART 1*
This is Femi G's response:

My dear “friends” I thank you for all your comments. I ordinarily was going to keep a dignified silence on this whole sordid matter and indeed I have. This is the first comment I am making in all of this. I honestly thought this was a platform of classmates and of lawyers. I thought the legal training was that there were 2 sides to every story and maybe sometimes even a 3rd. Many have said you’re only saying the truth but I don’t know how one gets to the truth by hearing only one side and not giving the benefit of doubt but passing a hurried judgment. I would have expected those who seek the truth to reach out even if privately like Frank did. 3 of our classmates were at this very small private gathering of family and friends namely Candide Johnson, Mike Igbokwe ,and Folabi Martins.
Now What are the issues
1. My wife of 26 years who I love to death turned 50 and I decided to do something special for her. Her 50th did not happen unexpectedly. I knew a couple of years God sparing her life she would turn 50 and I prepared for it. This is a woman who has been with me through thick and thin and stood as a pillar of support and who at one time was the breadwinner. Hell I may even have saved up for it or sold an old car to make up the numbers you guys do not know. I believe the cost of a vehicle pales into insignificance when you consider the sacrifices our wives make on the daily.
2. We are all educated and can look up the cost of the car. Not even half of the 100m in social media.
3. What I wear is non of y’alls business as I’m sure there will be people who’s attire or jewelry or shoes on this platform I may not like but will not deride them for it.
4. I had a tear to plan for this and I did.
5. We had a family gathering and few friends of about 30 in all in my house for thanks giving and prayers. It was a breakfast get together. My wife’s pastor prayed Gave a sermon, praise n worship and guests had breakfast. The whole affair was meant to have ended by 6. Unfortunately some people came after work as it was a weekday.
6. I purchased my wife’s car from the US and unfortunately the car was delayed at the ports for 4 days. She was meant to get her gift at midnight of her birthday in the privacy of our home.
7. I called Mr Folabi Martins the day before her birthday ( he happens to be the lawyer to Maersk the shipping co) and he made frantic efforts to call the md.
8. Man proposes God disposes and there was little I could do the car never came.
9. It came as a surprise to me when the car was driven by the agents into my compound at 7.30 pm with a few guests and my family members still present. There was little I could do.
10. How the above facts can draw such vitriol from this platform shocks me to the marrow but then like they say it is what it is.
11. My “brother” who commented above that I crave publicity or wanted this on social media I’m sorry we may be classmates but you do not know me.
12. Guys I have paid my dues in this country. I did not gift a car to a girlfriend like many do. I gave it to my WIFE!!
13. Now assuming this was a public display which it most certainly wasn’t does it warrant the things I am reading on this platform the extent of venom and crucifixtion from you guys ? Or is there something else here ?
14. I must say a big thank you to Frank and to Afolabi who has called me severally and stood in support. I also thank you Mike Igbokwe for the staunch support you put up on anothe platform of yours.
15. I am surprised that no one here is discerning to see that this is a political hatchet job but I will continue to focus on my work. Enough said
God bless our class of 84

*PART 2*
HIS CLASSMATES REACTS
Below......

God bless the class of 84 indeed!

My dear brother, your explanation is well taken and understood. If I truly take you as a brother (and I do even if in speaking the truth, it appears otherwise), then I must say it as I feel it. Now, I know this may earn me instant and swift condemnation from those eager to please. But believe me that many here may not fully buy into your explanation but do not want to get involved as it may not be considered politically expedient to do so. And I don't blame them, that is the Nigerian clime. However, I am not a politician. I have never been one and do not ever plan to be one. Nor have I sought or received political patronage. I am a man who says it as I see it and if I cannot freely air my sincere views in a platform of classmates (provided I am not breaching any of our rules) then I have no business being here. I might as well exit. But since I have no such plans, I crave everyone's indulgence to say my piece.

My brother, the point is that ours is an impoverished and depressed economy with the vast majority living below subsistence level. Minimum pay by the FG is N18,000 if I am correct. Many do not even earn that. State governments are owing workers several months arrears in salaries. Many barely eke out a living. Life is short and brutish and hard for most even for young university graduates. I am told that most fresh Lawyers in Abuja earn anything between N50,000 and N150,000 monthly. In our time, we could buy a car (even if it was 3rd hand) after our NYSC. Not for today's graduate except the very few whose parents can assist them. The cost of living is astronomically and unbearably high. People are dying of starvation.

As an *elected public official paid from the public coffers* a certain level of sensitivity to our economic reality is expected. A higher standard is expected. If one was entirely in the private sector, few will bat an eyelid on what one does with his or her resources, no matter how earned. But in a clime where there is so much corruption in the system, where political office is seen as the gateway to a "good" life, it behooves a holder of such office to be very circumspect in his public or private display of wealth. Why? Most don't care to know how one acquired his or her wealth! All they know is that such a person is a political office holder! And we all know what that is interpreted to mean in our country - rightly or wrongly. That one worked hard and earned one's wealth prior to holding office is immaterial to most. Being a politician holding public office puts that person in the eye of the storm. Such persons almost cannot have a private life. In civilized climes, all actions are scrutinized, one's private business as a public office holder becomes everybody's business. Ask Donald Trump and other public office holders in western democracies. That is the truth!

I personally do not think that most of those who expressed themselves on the pf today were being hastily judgemental without hearing the other side as being alleged. More so, as the basic facts as tendered through the video have not really been rebutted. While I may be wrong, I do not want to believe anyone was playing politics either. On the contrary, I believe most on this pf are proud of the achievements of our classmates particularly those considered the shining lights of the class - whether in politics, the judiciary, industry and other spheres of life. I personally feel tall when I tell people my classmate is so and so in my country. But must we act dumb and turn a blind eye when we should speak up and give counsel in truth and love? Methink not so.

I still maintain that *a public officer paid by public funds*, (no matter who it is) in the midst of a poverty stricken economy ought to show utmost restraint, modesty and sensitivity in the display of wealth - whether acquired legitimately or not particularly in the light of our present circumstances as a nation.

For someone in public office, there are many ways to show deep appreciation to loved ones without attracting undue attention to oneself. Truth is that in an age ruled by social media, there is hardly anything we do that involves more than two people that does not have the potential of going viral particularly when done by someone *in the eye of the public.* Having come this far in life, we have all certainly paid our dues. And no one should begrudge us some of the luxuries of life. However, when it comes to a *holder of an office paid for by tax payers*, the way and manner of expressing oneself becomes very pertinent. I repeat, there is a higher standard of modesty required of such a person. We pontificate on this pf about the ills in our society. We try to proffer solutions, ways forward, we condemn the condemnable and praise the praiseworthy, etc.

My brothers and sisters, we are no longer kids, obviously we are adults - senior citizens! We should be able to tell ourselves the honest truth - in love - and without fear or favor otherwise our avowed oneness is fake and superficial. As Gramps Uye will always remind us ... the man died who kept silent ... when he should speak up.

I have spoken up as I feel - with absolutely no ill will towards any. So, if I have hurt anyone's feelings in expressing mine, accept my deep apologies. For me, this is done. Now, I go sidon look and I know that inspite of my appeal, the bullets will come flying so, let them come �� *Never Alone!* God bless NLS class of 1984!

*PART 3*

Toh .... �

FOOL!!
That’s why he dressed like a clown and his wife like a bird on Sesame Street or village masquerade and then wrote assurance on the number plate
How berating and debasing!!!
Assurance of what? Or what’s he sorry for What Lubricity and moral turpitude!!!!!

How stupid does he think Nigerians are? or rather he himself must be on some idiotic drug, well he has to have overdosed on the pill of stupidity and irresponsibility.

REMIND ME, *WHAT DOES HE DO AGAIN? - public officer? Accountable to who? slowpoke!!*
His best friend my foot, who also is a coke head and has been his support through his egregious life stealing clients money in Atlanta and even at, that still being made a government official with responsibility to his people. A leopard cannot change his spots!!
The debauchery is sickening and his outright display of decadence and venality is an insult to the Nigerian populace.
He should be stripped of his his political apparatus and be made an example for all to see and maybe, just maybe things might start to change.
And the stupid Alcoholic anonymous ladies in the video that were cheering him on also are depraved and deprived, when we stop singing the praises of corrupt and immoral public officers who use the money that belong to all Nigerians for their own personal and selfish aggrandizement and we start stoning them, then we can start talking about rebuilding this Nation! The ladies in the stupid and clownish looking head gears too should be ashamed , it’s because of people like them that the poor suffer in Nigeria-
It is enough, nobody cares bout his stupid Mea culpa.
He should have thought his actions through if the people he is supposed to serve meant anything to him.

We need to take our country back from these Ragamuffins!!!

Every action has a reaction and he is accountable and responsible for every action he takes that violates the trust and funds placed in his hands as a public servant!!!

Insightful.
I must say there is a new awakening by citizens but the political class think it's a joke.
SMH @how they'll soon be shocked and whisked by the new paradigm shift waiting to happen.
SportsHD:

Every mallam with him kettle.....lolz

azraeljaheel:

And you had to quote everything na wa oo

We using Nokia 3310 we go scroll die cry
Good to know the present gadgets made it easier reason we shouldn't be recycling leaders but get to vote young bloods in leadership roles so that we won't have to scroll like Nokia 3310 tire. smiley wink

We need young visionary leaders that can exhibit some level of human empathy!

@Seniorwriter
Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by MadamExcellency: 10:56pm On Jun 17, 2021
At Honeywell Oil and Gas in 2003.

When asked how much are you expecting. I suggested that the Directors use a befitting minimum livable daily income to calculate for the basic salary.

One of the Directors called a figure and I suggested he multiply it by 30 days.

It was a rigged negotiation where the actual expectation was 20% of what was offered.
Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jun 17, 2021
Seniorwriter:

Insightful.
I must say there is a new awakening by citizens but the political class think it's a joke.
SMH @how they'll soon be shocked and whisked by the new paradigm shift waiting to happen.

We need young visionary leaders that can exhibit some level of human empathy!

@Seniorwriter

And you had to quote everything na wa oo

We using Nokia 3310 we go scroll die cry
Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by imagrg(m): 11:00pm On Jun 17, 2021
Following
Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by FrankBass281(m): 11:07pm On Jun 17, 2021
Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by gly(m): 11:15pm On Jun 17, 2021
teebaxy:
House leader, *Hon Femi Gbajabiamila* who bought a G wagon Mercedes allegedly valued at 100 million Naira, branded with special plate number: *ASSURANCE* for his wife as a present for her 50th birthday came under attack in his Law school WhatsApp group *class of 84*. The tantrums below:

*PART 1*

My dear “friends” I thank you for all your comments. I ordinarily was going to keep a dignified silence on this whole sordid matter and indeed I have. This is the first comment I am making in all of this. I honestly thought this was a platform of classmates and of lawyers. I thought the legal training was that there were 2 sides to every story and maybe sometimes even a 3rd. Many have said you’re only saying the truth but I don’t know how one gets to the truth by hearing only one side and not giving the benefit of doubt but passing a hurried judgment. I would have expected those who seek the truth to reach out even if privately like Frank did. 3 of our classmates were at this very small private gathering of family and friends namely Candide Johnson, Mike Igbokwe ,and Folabi Martins.
Now What are the issues
1. My wife of 26 years who I love to death turned 50 and I decided to do something special for her. Her 50th did not happen unexpectedly. I knew a couple of years God sparing her life she would turn 50 and I prepared for it. This is a woman who has been with me through thick and thin and stood as a pillar of support and who at one time was the breadwinner. Hell I may even have saved up for it or sold an old car to make up the numbers you guys do not know. I believe the cost of a vehicle pales into insignificance when you consider the sacrifices our wives make on the daily.
2. We are all educated and can look up the cost of the car. Not even half of the 100m in social media.
3. What I wear is non of y’alls business as I’m sure there will be people who’s attire or jewelry or shoes on this platform I may not like but will not deride them for it.
5. We had a family gathering and few friends of about 30 in all in my house for thanks giving and prayers. It was a breakfast get together. My wife’s pastor prayed Gave a sermon, praise n worship and guests had breakfast. The whole affair was meant to have ended by 6. Unfortunately some people came after work as it was a weekday.
6. I purchased my wife’s car from the US and unfortunately the car was delayed at the ports for 4 days. She was meant to get her gift at midnight of her birthday in the privacy of our home.
7. I called Mr Folabi Martins the day before her birthday ( he happens to be the lawyer to Maersk the shipping co) and he made frantic efforts to call the md.
8. Man proposes God disposes and there was little I could do the car never came.
9. It came as a surprise to me when the car was driven by the agents into my compound at 7.30 pm with a few guests and my family members still present. There was little I could do.
10. How the above facts can draw such vitriol from this platform shocks me to the marrow but then like they say it is what it is.
11. My “brother” who commented above that I crave publicity or wanted this on social media I’m sorry we may be classmates but you do not know me.
12. Guys I have paid my dues in this country. I did not gift a car to a girlfriend like many do. I gave it to my WIFE!!
13. Now assuming this was a public display which it most certainly wasn’t does it warrant the things I am reading on this platform the extent of venom and crucifixtion from you guys ? Or is there something else here ?
14. I must say a big thank you to Frank and to Afolabi who has called me severally and stood in support. I also thank you Mike Igbokwe for the staunch support you put up on anothe platform of yours.
15. I am surprised that no one here is discerning to see that this is a political hatchet job but I will continue to focus on my work. Enough said

*PART 2*
HIS CLASSMATES REACTS
Below......

My dear brother, your explanation is well taken and understood. If I truly take you as a brother (and I do even if in speaking the truth, it appears otherwise), then I must say it as I feel it. Now, I know this may earn me instant and swift condemnation from those eager to please. But believe me that many here may not fully buy into your explanation but do not want to get involved as it may not be considered politically expedient to do so. And I don't blame them, that is the Nigerian clime. However, I am not a politician. I have never been one and do not ever plan to be one. Nor have I sought or received political patronage. I am a man who says it as I see it and if I cannot freely air my sincere views in a platform of classmates (provided I am not breaching any of our rules) then I have no business being here. I might as well exit. But since I have no such plans, I crave everyone's indulgence to say my piece.

My brother, the point is that ours is an impoverished and depressed economy with the vast majority living below subsistence level. Minimum pay by the FG is N18,000 if I am correct. Many do not even earn that. State governments are owing workers several months arrears in salaries. Many barely eke out a living. Life is short and brutish and hard for most even for young university graduates. I am told that most fresh Lawyers in Abuja earn anything between N50,000 and N150,000 monthly. In our time, we could buy a car (even if it was 3rd hand) after our NYSC. Not for today's graduate except the very few whose parents can assist them. The cost of living is astronomically and unbearably high. People are dying of starvation.

As an *elected public official paid from the public coffers* a certain level of sensitivity to our economic reality is expected. A higher standard is expected. If one was entirely in the private sector, few will bat an eyelid on what one does with his or her resources, no matter how earned. But in a clime where there is so much corruption in the system, where political office is seen as the gateway to a "good" life, it behooves a holder of such office to be very circumspect in his public or private display of wealth. Why? Most don't care to know how one acquired his or her wealth! All they know is that such a person is a political office holder! And we all know what that is interpreted to mean in our country - rightly or wrongly. That one worked hard and earned one's wealth prior to holding office is immaterial to most. Being a politician holding public office puts that person in the eye of the storm. Such persons almost cannot have a private life. In civilized climes, all actions are scrutinized, one's private business as a public office holder becomes everybody's business. Ask Donald Trump and other public office holders in western democracies. That is the truth!

I personally do not think that most of those who expressed themselves on the pf today were being hastily judgemental without hearing the other side as being alleged. More so, as the basic facts as tendered through the video have not really been rebutted. While I may be wrong, I do not want to believe anyone was playing politics either. On the contrary, I believe most on this pf are proud of the achievements of our classmates particularly those considered the shining lights of the class - whether in politics, the judiciary, industry and other spheres of life. I personally feel tall when I tell people my classmate is so and so in my country. But must we act dumb and turn a blind eye when we should speak up and give counsel in truth and love? Methink not so.

I still maintain that *a public officer paid by public funds*, (no matter who it is) in the midst of a poverty stricken economy ought to show utmost restraint, modesty and sensitivity in the display of wealth - whether acquired legitimately or not particularly in the light of our present circumstances as a nation.

For someone in public office, there are many ways to show deep appreciation to loved ones without attracting undue attention to oneself. Truth is that in an age ruled by social media, there is hardly anything we do that involves more than two people that does not have the potential of going viral particularly when done by someone *in the eye of the public.* Having come this far in life, we have all certainly paid our dues. And no one should begrudge us some of the luxuries of life. However, when it comes to a *holder of an office paid for by tax payers*, the way and manner of expressing oneself becomes very pertinent. I repeat, there is a higher standard of modesty required of such a person. We pontificate on this pf about the ills in our society. We try to proffer solutions, ways forward, we condemn the condemnable and praise the praiseworthy, etc.

My brothers and sisters, we are no longer kids, obviously we are adults - senior citizens! We should be able to tell ourselves the honest truth - in love - and without fear or favor otherwise our avowed oneness is fake and superficial. As Gramps Uye will always remind us ... the man died who kept silent ... when he should speak up.

I have spoken up as I feel - with absolutely no ill will towards any. So, if I have hurt anyone's feelings in expressing mine, accept my deep apologies. For me, this is done. Now, I go sidon look and I know that inspite of my appeal, the bullets will come flying so, let them come �� *Never Alone!* God bless NLS class of 1984!

*PART 3*

Toh .... �

FOOL!!
That’s why he dressed like a clown and his wife like a bird on Sesame Street or village masquerade and then wrote assurance on the number plate
Assurance of what? Or what’s he sorry for What Lubricity and moral turpitude!!!!!

How stupid does he think Nigerians are? or rather he himself must be on some idiotic drug, well he has to have overdosed on the pill of stupidity and irresponsibility.

REMIND ME, *WHAT DOES HE DO AGAIN? - public officer? Accountable to who? slowpoke!!*
His best friend my foot, who also is a coke head and has been his support through his egregious life stealing clients money in Atlanta and even at, that still being made a government official with responsibility to his people. A leopard cannot change his spots!!
The debauchery is sickening and his outright display of decadence and venality is an insult to the Nigerian populace.
He should be stripped of his his political apparatus and be made an example for all to see and maybe, just maybe things might start to change.
And the stupid Alcoholic anonymous ladies in the video that were cheering him on also are depraved and deprived, when we stop singing the praises of corrupt and immoral public officers who use the money that belong to all Nigerians for their own personal and selfish aggrandizement and we start stoning them, then we can start talking about rebuilding this Nation! The ladies in the stupid and clownish looking head gears too should be ashamed , it’s because of people like them that the poor suffer in Nigeria-
He should have thought his actions through if the people he is supposed to serve meant anything to him.

Every action has a reaction and he is accountable and responsible for every action he takes that violates the trust and funds placed in his hands as a public servant!!!

Many thanks for this post
Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by Pharaohny: 11:15pm On Jun 17, 2021
Faller:
Well to Negotiate salary as a school teacher....Tell the Proprietor that what you'll teach the pupils depends on your salary..

Explain to him using this format....

For 15k you'll teach the pupils that 5 + 5 = 6

For 20k you'll teach the pupils that 5 + 5 = 8

For 25k you'll teach the pupils that 5 + 5 = 9

For 30k you'll teach the pupils that 5 + 5 = 10

You wicked ooo ���
Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by falseprophet: 11:18pm On Jun 17, 2021
Wish2Die:
You can't negotiate salary in Nigeria, for private firms? no way, you can only beg for your salary to be increased maybe for your transport as regard to the distance between your house and the place of work.

You can't be demanding a certain amount to your potential employer as a salary when you don't know the cost of running the company.

But in most cases if they ask how much do you expect, it is not a negotiation oh! They just want to know if you salary request fits into their employees salary scale.

For government job, well your level of certificate determines your pay, non negotiable.

Very few employer will reward you for your dedication over the year with a little increment.. very few

Only software engineers, developers and careers around softwares negotiate salaries, those guys are not your everyday jobseekers, employers seek for them and they give the terms and expected salary.

You can't be applying for an administrative position any graduate can do and expect a salary negotiation

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by iampeterben(m): 11:35pm On Jun 17, 2021
Be careful your boss might just stop by here... grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by GeneralPula: 11:36pm On Jun 17, 2021
[s]
teebaxy:

*PART 1*

Now What are the issues

*PART 2*
HIS CLASSMATES REACTS
Below......

*PART 3*

Toh .... �

FOOL!!

[/s]
Stop talking nonsense on a nice thread..
Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by PrincessGlow: 11:36pm On Jun 17, 2021
WiszyFraud:
Did you know??

Months that begin on a Sunday will always have a 'Friday the 13th'.

lipsrsealed

ONLY months that begin on a Sunday will have 'Friday the 13th'.
Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by LisaAnne(f): 11:39pm On Jun 17, 2021
If you're not smart these bosses would use you to the last and pay you stipends monthly
Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by Nobody: 11:39pm On Jun 17, 2021
falseprophet:

Only software engineers, developers and careers around softwares negotiate salaries, those guys are not your everyday jobseekers, employers seek for them and they give the terms and expected salary.

You can't be applying for an administrative position any graduate can do and expect a salary negotiation
You are right, what of builders and Architect?
Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by ugonna1054(m): 11:44pm On Jun 17, 2021
WiszyFraud:
Did you know??

Months that begin on a Sunday will always have a 'Friday the 13th'.

lipsrsealed
Same way months that begin on a Friday will always have 'Sunday the 3rd' undecided
Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by PrincessGlow: 11:51pm On Jun 17, 2021
SportsHD:

GeneralPula:
[s][/s]
Stop talking nonsense on a nice thread.. teebaxy

He didn't derail anything. It's a good read
Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by illicit(m): 11:55pm On Jun 17, 2021
It's a long story
Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by victorVIC1(m): 12:02am On Jun 18, 2021
Wish2Die:
You can't negotiate salary in Nigeria, for private firms? no way, you can only beg for your salary to be increased maybe for your transport as regard to the distance between your house and the place of work.

You can't be demanding a certain amount to your potential employer as a salary when you don't know the cost of running the company.

But in most cases if they ask how much do you expect, it is not a negotiation oh! They just want to know if you salary request fits into their employees salary scale.

For government job, well your level of certificate determines your pay, non negotiable.

Very few employer will reward you for your dedication over the year with a little increment.. very few

The more you grow in your chosen field, the more you understand that negotiation is a norm for those who have garnered impressive experience and know their worth

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by Yankee101: 12:50am On Jun 18, 2021
Walk away
Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by KingDash: 1:14am On Jun 18, 2021
Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by fashrola(m): 2:12am On Jun 18, 2021
Wish2Die:

It all starts from the employee.... I always tell my fellow seafarers to negotiate their salary well when invited for an interview

Know your worth and capabilities.... No company will pay you peanuts and don't be desparate for jobs (HR/Recruitment managers can sense desperation and use it to manipulate your negotiating skills)

Before the Covid-19 lockdown, my former company was experiencing financial difficulties due to IOCs slashing vessel daily rate pay (Our vessel AHTS was hired for about $24,000 per day) and was slashed to about $17,000 per day and the company had to adjust their salaries and the rest, some of our vessels contract were terminated due to the Covid-19 pandemic... We had to take the vessel to Spain for cold-stacking, then took a flight back to Nigeria, I was without a job for 5-6months

I kept on applying to companies and I was invited for an interview (Name withheld) headed by Indians and some Nigerians too... I applied as a second engineer with DP (My salary is at that time was N1.1 million Onboard and 478k while on timeoff ) with more than 36 months experience on different types of vessels..

I was asked by Indian Guy

Indian Guy: How much can we offer you for your services and expertise to work onboard our boat?

Me: My previous salary as a Second engineer was 1.1 Million Naira while onboard and 478k while on timeoff and I would gladly accept a pay higher than my previous pay (I tried not to sound desperate and corky, even though I needed a job at that time)

Indian Guy: Ah, My friend that's too way above our budget slated for the position, we will pay you 720,000 per month when you are onboard and 350,000 while on timeoff

Well it was kinda managable since I was out of job

Though I rejected the offer instantly and told them I can't take it (Though e pain me)

DPM certificate cost about N1.2 million in UK and other certifications which expires every 5 years and I also have bills to pay (Taking such salary below my previous pay was awful in a way)

Few weeks after the interview, I guess they didn't see anyone to take such offer (Probably other people's offer was even higher than mine) I was called to resume as a second engineer onboard their vessel at just a little below my previous pay (With pension, Health scheme package)

In this life, Know your worth and they will always come looking for you!!!

Even though I am still on lookout for more paying opportunities, Keep on upgrading your skills and knowledge and never negotiate your salary in desperation or else you will regret it much later on the job.

We seafarers no dey stay for Company reach one year... We move for better opportunities and welfare package

14 Likes

Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by AuroraBrls: 3:50am On Jun 18, 2021
teebaxy:

*PART 1*

Now What are the issues

*PART 2*
HIS CLASSMATES REACTS
Below......

*PART 3*

Toh .... �

FOOL!!

Wow.
I am shocked that some of these politicians belong to whatsapp groups where the members have the gut to be frank and tell truth to power.

Naturally l expect them to belong to strictly groups full of their lapdogs, sycophants and favour seeking praise singers.

Be that as it may, my learned legal friends by association are known to be honest and blunt no matter whose ox is gored, especially the elderly ones.

You guys should help us commoners to tell Femi and co that the heartbeat of the majority of hungry, angry, unemployed but willing to work, impoverished, PhD and msc and BSC holders surviving on Uber rentage driving work-security work-construction laborer work-danfo work, etc just because Femi and his cohorts have stolen and shared amongst themselves what is meant for the good of all, failure of leadership since 1999...an Arab Spring of sorts will come up soonest. The monsters they have created will soon break free from it's chains.They will all taste the blade of a guillotine, burnt at the stake, blood eagled, stoned, etc...

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by Koolyarn: 4:54am On Jun 18, 2021
Most of the comments here shows how most Nigerians don't know how the negotiate Thier salary.

Here are some nuggets.
1. Always know what the industry or orginasation offer. I inquired from an insider what they were offering. My expectations were much ower than what they were willing to offer thank God I made my research.

2. Always remind the company of their good standards and welfare. You are in a friendly negotiation not a stand off. "Knowing the high standard you company have for the well being of your staff and the experience and expertise I bring to the table my expectations are ..... ".

3. Other factors can make the organisation reconsider Thier offer. " I have certification in ... Also I was responsible for bringing major client to my present organisation though I am an engineer"

4. Another factor that really work is your location. There is a post here that illustrate
this. The guy argued that his take home pay will be lowered that his present one as the location is far off. He got his desires.

5. Cost of living can be negotiated. A friend of mine was offered a job at Port Harcourt. He negotiated his way as the cost of living i.e housing , transportation s, children school fees etc was higher than Lagos. The organisation added a large sum to cater for . When he was hired , he got to know his salary was higher than anyone on his level. Rather than starting on level 1, he was given a much higher level.

6. Watch YouTube videos on how to answer interview questions. You will learn much from it.

7. Pray. people could missed out cos the interviewer on the panel was having a bad day . He/she could have candidates. I heard from a friend who prayed and in the panel was a expriate the MD. The head of department wanted his candidate his town boy in. After offering his guy the job with lower pay ,the MD rejected it and insist that my friend should be given the Job with a higher pay. Prayers really work.

I am not a HR personnel o butHope this help.
Back to my quite time

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by Jarus(m): 6:56am On Jun 18, 2021
About 8 years ago, one foreign oil servicing firm firm offered me what was below what I was earning then. Told them I can't take that because what I was earning was higher than that.

They said, "ehnnn, this is a small growing firm, there is an opportunity for growth for you, it is not just about money blabla "

Told them, it is like buyout clause in football contract , there is a minimum amount that can make a footballer exit a club (I gave Messi as example). They were shocked and said why did I put my CV on that website when I wasn't desperate to leave my job. (I did not apply for the job, they saw the CV on oilandgasjobsearch.com a foreign website).

I finally told them I can recommend my friend. Told them I will forward his CV to their email. They angrily didn't respond.

Thank God I did not make that move, even if they offered slightly higher than what I earned then. Could have altered the course of my career.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by TeddBundy: 7:42am On Jun 18, 2021
B
Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by Tani91: 7:54am On Jun 18, 2021
Pls upload the whole chat. Quite an interesting read
Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by akanbiaa(m): 8:06am On Jun 18, 2021
Do your research well to know how much the Organization pays for your position and negotiate by giving them a range where the amount will be your minimum, incase they want a figure and don't accept "your organization salary scale is okay by me ". Case closed.
Re: What Is The Cleverest Salary Negotiation You've Had? by africonn: 8:06am On Jun 18, 2021
falseprophet:

I am a fan!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Vacancies @ Ringo Telecommunications Limited-dec.2013 / Have They Increased Your Salary? / Apply Now For Federal Civil Service Commission Fresh Recruitment - 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 184
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.