Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,819 members, 7,810,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:43 PM

How Crossing The Highway Nearly Crossed My Interview - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / How Crossing The Highway Nearly Crossed My Interview (588 Views)

Anambra Businessman, Chief Gab Ofoma Shot and Killed On The Highway / Ogun Armed Robber Shot Dead While Robbing People Along The Highway / Abuja-Kaduna Expressway: Police Begin Aerial Patrol Of The Highway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Crossing The Highway Nearly Crossed My Interview by Ravon: 2:29pm On Jun 18, 2021
Lagos state charged 95 people to a special court for crossing the highway instead of using the pedestrian bridge. I almost abused those offenders and probably said good for them. But, then I remembered I was once guilty.

Maybe not once really. Because I was accosted for the first time by an environmental task force officer in mufti around Aswani market when I was still in school.

I was lucky that day, with all my 'student cred' stubbornness and initially asking the guy to identify himself before I followed him.

We later settled the matter when he realized he finished from my school. I promised myself not to ever cross the highway again.

But, hmmm, it happened again. This time, it was at Lekki Phase 1, shortly after the Admiralty roundabout.

How Crossing The Highway Nearly Crossed My Interview-Brand Spur Nigeria

Let's just say I was naive that day because it was my first time there. I didn't realize there was a pedestrian bridge ahead until one of the Man O War guys working with LCC said 'oga, you are under arrest'.

As a Lagos boy you know, I was like 'officer wetin happen nah?'. And he said look back to where you crossed, that was a bus stop with a pedestrian bridge less than 1-minute walk away. Why did you cross the expressway?

Waawu. I just calmed down. I was mute for a while calculating what to do next as he took me to one shed to sit. A lady was there too, she was looking pretty disturbed already.

The LCC Man O War officer said the Task Force van would soon arrive and he would hand us over to the officials in charge of traffic offenders for necessary actions.

Arrrgh, oga, please ooo, I came for an interview inside Lekki Phase 1. Please help your bro. He didn’t answer me.

The Man O War guy called the Task Force van, two other guys came to check on us and assured him that the van would be there shortly.

Then, I realized wahala was about to serve me hot catfish pepper soup with fresh palmy early in the morning. I pocketed my Lagos boy vibez one time and started begging. I told the 3 of them I was almost late for my interview.

One asked me to show them evidence, I quickly pulled up the email and they confirmed I was not lying. He told me to call the company to reschedule because there was no way I would not be late.

I called. But no, I didn't call the company I had the interview with. I called a client who was like an office uncle to me. He was a senior man in the public sector.

My uncle asked to speak with the LCC Man O War guys. The most senior among them, I supposed, took the phone from me thinking the company I had the interview with was on the line.

I noticed he was warm over the phone and maybe my uncle's client spoke the language he understood.

How Crossing The Highway Nearly Crossed My Interview-Brand Spur Nigeria

Long story short, uncle asked me to sincerely apologise to them and promise not to cross the expressway again.

No time, I begged them, in the name of God sef. So they said I could go but if I got apprehended again, my uncle would not be able to bail me out again, lol!

I bounced out of the place, like oya interview na me and you today.

Oh, the lady I met there? I remembered her in a bit and went to check if she was still in the shed we sat in. She was still there and I felt for her.

Since somebody had helped me, let me too help somebody. Abbi?

I went to the Man O War guys' corner to have a gentleman discussion with them. One of them was like, 'guy, e be like say this your interview no dey important to you. You still dey beg for woman after we release you'.

Las las sha, they listened to me and when the lady noticed we were talking about her. She ran to meet us and knelt to beg them.

Women and their soft charm ehn? They pardoned her, warned her that next time such happened she would not go unpunished.

I was lucky for the 2nd time. I have not ignored the pedestrian bridge ever since. Thank God for my life.

It's really disheartening when people get knocked down on the highway in situations where they could have used a pedestrian bridge. Getting apprehended sometimes like I was can be a blessing in disguise.

Considering that road accident are the 3rd leading cause of deaths in Nigeria. I don't think anyone should be risking their lives crossing the highway.

Ignoring pedestrian bridges is not being smart or fast, it is a really unnecessary risk that could cost one's life.

SOURCE: https://brandspurng.com/2021/06/18/how-crossing-the-highway-nearly-crossed-my-interview/

1 Like

Re: How Crossing The Highway Nearly Crossed My Interview by DWJOBScom(m): 2:42pm On Jun 18, 2021
Well written
It's sad when people cross the road ignoring the pedestrian bridge.
Lekki phase one is so notorious with alot of people running across. Buses now load wherever they want and its not nice at all.
Am hoping when Lekki tailgate resumes operation, normalcy would be restored
Re: How Crossing The Highway Nearly Crossed My Interview by etrange: 2:42pm On Jun 18, 2021
Ravon:

The LCC Man O War officer said the Task Force van would soon arrive and he would hand us over to the officials in charge of traffic offenders for necessary actions.The Man O War guy called the Task Force van, two other guys came to check on us and assured him that the van would be there shortly.

I wasn't there and might not have the facts, but I am 99% sure he didn't call anybody. This same format is what they use on everyone. They'd tell you the van in coming, they'd pretend to make a phone call and then start looking in the direction of oncoming vehicles 'wondering' the cause of the delay. All these are just to pressure the 'victim' into settlement.

I was once caught at CMS years ago, and they did the same thing to me. I mistakenly mentioned the name of the company I was going to and almost told them I didn't know about the bridge cause I drove most of the time (this would have nailed me), but then I stopped halfway when one of them suddenly became excited and went "oh you work there? You know someone that works there? Call them to send you something nah". I quickly changed the story by telling them I was a first year student of NOUN looking for a petty job and that I was only decently dressed cause I was going for an interview (luckily, it was the early days of my career life so I was still looking very 'studentish'). That didn't exactly get me thier pity (it actually made them feel more in control) but it made them lose any hope of cashing out big time. They eventually took what they thought was my transport and asked me to find my way.

I was wrong to have crossed the road. I hated the fact that I wasn't on my right and had to tolerate a lot of nonsense, and even went on to smile when one called me "brother" after the whole ordeal!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Crossing The Highway Nearly Crossed My Interview by Ravon: 1:17pm On Jun 19, 2021
etrange:

I wasn't there and might not have the facts, but I am 99% sure he didn't call anybody. This same format is what they use on everyone. They'd tell you the van in coming, they'd pretend to make a phone call and then start looking in the direction of oncoming vehicles 'wondering' the cause of the delay. All these are just to pressure the 'victim' into settlement.

I was once caught at CMS years ago, and they did the same thing to me. I mistakenly mentioned the name of the company I was going to and almost told them I didn't know about the bridge cause I drove most of the time (this would have nailed me), but then I stopped halfway when one of them suddenly became excited and went "oh you work there? You know someone that works there? Call them to send you something nah". I quickly changed the story by telling them I was a first year student of NOUN looking for a petty job and that I was only decently dressed cause I was going for an interview (luckily, it was the early days of my career life so I was still looking very 'studentish'). That didn't exactly get me thier pity (it actually made them feel more in control) but it made them lose any hope of cashing out big time. They eventually took what they thought was my transport and asked me to find my way.

I was wrong to have crossed the road. I hated the fact that I wasn't on my right and had to tolerate a lot of nonsense, and even went on to smile when one called me "brother" after the whole ordeal!

Wow

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

The Story That Birthed Fingerprinting As A Forensic For Identifying Criminals. / Simon Ekpa: US Oders The Arrest Of Criminal Aba Kyari. Pics Pics evidence / Abia Ministry Of Education Staff Arrested For Extorting ₦500 From Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.