Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,431 members, 7,954,698 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:30 AM

Igala People Are Part Of Yoruba Race - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igala People Are Part Of Yoruba Race (3888 Views)

Attah Igala Receives Royal White Rolls Royce Phantom Ahead Of Kogi Election / Adebanji Akintoye Emerges 4th Yoruba Race Leader, Defeats Tinubu, PRONACO Kicks / "Yahaya Bello A Very Good Man, Misled By Igala People" — Ohinoyi Of Ebira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igala People Are Part Of Yoruba Race by johntolu: 8:27pm On Jun 19, 2021
Sammy07:

Oga shut up, I dare you to write 5 sentences in Igala if I won't as a Yoruba guy understand 60% of it.

Yet Igala is not a Yoruboid language undecided

Egbon, We should not start a fight we can not win. In as much as I agree we have certain identical words with the Igalas I think that is where any similarity ends.
Our culture is totally different from theirs and our names are equally different as well.
I met lots of Igalas during my stay in Northern Nigeria and none of them ever gave a thought, even for a second, about any Igala-Yoruba unity.
Re: Igala People Are Part Of Yoruba Race by johntolu: 8:42pm On Jun 19, 2021
Atiwaye:
Many Benin speak Yoruba fluently.

I am sure you are making reference to the Akoko-Edo people and not the Binis.
It is only Binis who migrated to Yorubaland or have contacts with Yorubas, that may probably be able to speak Yoruba language.
The Binis have their own distinct language, Edo/Bini, which is widely spoken in their land.
Re: Igala People Are Part Of Yoruba Race by PoloG: 8:43pm On Jun 19, 2021
Don't know of why you guys like bringing Insults to your tribe... Igala and Yoruba are not the same people. Everybody should stay his lane abeg

1 Like

Re: Igala People Are Part Of Yoruba Race by Praxis758: 8:46pm On Jun 19, 2021
johntolu:

I am not sure of the Binis descending from the Yoruba Nation. One thing I know is that we have a lot in common with them.
They said Oduduwa, the Progenitor of the Yoruba Nation, was a scoundrel Prince of Benin Kingdom. But they agreed that Oranmiyan, a grandchild of Oduduwa was the 1st Oba of Benin and his offsprings, are the occupant of the Oba's stool in Benin, till date.
Which means Benin royalty has Yoruba traits in their blood.
Oduduwa, a Benin Prince, was the Progenitor of the Yoruba race, while Oduduwa's grandson was the 1st Oba of the Binis and the Bini throne is still being occupied by his descendants.
What about BiYoruba or BiniYoruba with seat of power in Orisun-Yoruba(Ile-Ife) or Akure?
Think about it!

Those who are saying Oduduwa was a Benin prince are simply saying 'a grandchild is the ancestor/progenitor of his grandfather. Can this be possible?

The straight and simple undistorted history tells that Ogiso (the father of Benins) was an Ife prince who migrated to the present day Benin. The Benins sent for Ife's assistance when things went out of hands after the demise of Ogiso

This call prompted Oranmiyan to be sent there. The image of his royal entrance into Benin is still in the Oba of Benin's palace till today. The modern Benin historians are distorting truth to avoid the cultural supremacy and older age of Ife over Benin.

2 Likes

Re: Igala People Are Part Of Yoruba Race by Atiwaye: 8:50pm On Jun 19, 2021
Bro I married bini girl .
johntolu:

I am sure you are making reference to the Akoko-Edo people and not the Binis.
It is only Binis who migrated to Yorubaland or have contacts with Yorubas, that may probably be able to speak Yoruba language.
The Binis have their own distinct language, Edo/Bini, which is widely spoken in their land.
Re: Igala People Are Part Of Yoruba Race by johntolu: 9:06pm On Jun 19, 2021
Powersurge:

Oga stop saying what you don't know. Are you aware there are other parts of Yoruba land that bear Ikoyi? The stories of the Igalas are known knowledge. Stop saying what you don't know. If you want to know how the Igalas and Yorubas are linked, check out archives in Ife and Oyo. I am nit going to say anything here. Because some of the story would sound insulting in 21st century.

Hi, PSurge,
I am interested in getting info on the Igala-Yoruba ties.
I just sent you a DM thr. NL platform.
Thanks.
Re: Igala People Are Part Of Yoruba Race by johntolu: 9:17pm On Jun 19, 2021
Atiwaye:
Bro I married bini girl .

I am sure your wife being able to speak Yoruba language, as a Bini woman, has to do with association with Yoruba people while growing up and not because Yoruba is widely spoken in Bini Nation.
Re: Igala People Are Part Of Yoruba Race by Frenchkiss564: 9:19pm On Jun 19, 2021
johntolu:

Egbon, We should not start a fight we can not win. In as much as I agree we have certain identical words with the Igalas I think that is where any similarity ends.
Our culture is totally different from theirs and our names are equally different as well.
I met lots of Igalas during my stay in Northern Nigeria and none of them ever gave a thought, even for a second, about any Igala-Yoruba unity.

I also met an igala prince during service, he was showing me pictures of their royalty and I brought the similarities in dressing with yoruba royalty. In his words "some of our culture and yoruba culture are similar".

That's where the similarities between end, these guys are proud northerners and that should be respected.

1 Like

Re: Igala People Are Part Of Yoruba Race by Atiwaye: 9:20pm On Jun 19, 2021
When we met then she couldn't speak Yoruba fluently but i noticed something about her language some word is the same with Yoruba word too. And mind you she has never been with Yoruba before
johntolu:

I am sure your wife being able to speak Yoruba language, as a Bini woman, has to do with association with Yoruba people while growing up and not because Yoruba is widely spoken in Bini Nation.
Re: Igala People Are Part Of Yoruba Race by johntolu: 10:01pm On Jun 19, 2021
Praxis758:

Those who are saying Oduduwa was a Benin prince are simply saying 'a grandchild is the ancestor/progenitor of his grandfather. Can this be possible?

The straight and simple undistorted history tells that Ogiso (the father of Benins) was an Ife prince who migrated to the present day Benin. The Benins sent for Ife's assistance when things went out of hands after the demise of Ogiso

This call prompted Oranmiyan to be sent there. The image of his royal entrance into Benin is still in the Oba of Benin's palace till today. The modern Benin historians are distorting truth to avoid the cultural supremacy and older age of Ife over Benin.

Your account of the 1st Ogiso being an Ife Prince might be very substantial against the backdrop of the Binis requesting for an Ife Prince to rule them after the death of the last Ogiso.
There has to be a relationship between the two Nations for the Binis to have made such request.
Thanks for the clarification.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Difference Between The Corruption Of The White Man And The Black Man(photos) / When They Tell You Peter Obi Supporters Are Rude, Show Them This / Oil Theft: Presidential Panel Calls For Stiffer Penalties For Crude Oil Thieves

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.