Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,816 members, 7,817,367 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance (1676 Views)

Suspend Constitution Review, Conduct Referendum On Biafra - Northern Coalition / Adaka Boro: Vindicating The Hausas And Yorubas / Pictures Of Heavy Equipments Moved To Boro Port. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by DLionheir: 1:50pm On Jun 20, 2021
Heroes & Villians: Ijaw Nationalist Narratives of the Nigerian Civil War

By: Kathryn Nwajiaku - Dahou

No book has narrated succinctly Ijaw nationalism from the time of Dappa Biriye’s NDC to the arms struggle of Issac Boro. British born Igbo scholar did justice to her book on the the history of Ijaw nationalism from the 1940’s to the time of IYC/MEND militant activities.

The research published in 2009 gives much insight to hidden angles never told before about the Niger-Delta agitation. Written in English, the book features sub-sections in French language for international grasp. It was written in collaboration with the Council for Development of Social Science Research in Africa, and it's one of the book those interested in knowing about the hidden vestiges of Ijaw struggle before and after the war.

For those interested in understanding more about Ijaw nationalism, Isaac Boro’s short-lived Niger-Delta republic, Igbo antagonism as well as Ijaw political-cum economic ideological leanings, this book is for you.

The Author is an ESRC Research Fellow Department of Politics & International Relations, Oxford University UK.

Below is the link for further reading.
https://www.readcube.com/articles/10.4314%2Fad.v34i1.57356

Summary of the book.

1. Abstract
2. Introduction
3. Ijaw Identity Before the war — Political Awakenings
4. Ijaw and the Unravelling of the First Republic
5. Ijaw Responses to Coup, Counter-Coup and the War
6. Ijaw Elites and the Creation of Rivers State
7. Supporters of Curcumstance and Saboteurs
8. Concluding Remarks
9. Notes & References.
Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by richmond500: 1:50pm On Jun 20, 2021
Ok
Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by Eastlink(m): 1:58pm On Jun 20, 2021
Interesting topic Op. Off to the link, a must-read. grin
Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by Bonesking(m): 2:11pm On Jun 20, 2021
Eastlink:
Interesting topic Op. Off to the link, a must-read. grin
Have you read the book? Can you give us a summary?
Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by Eastlink(m): 2:13pm On Jun 20, 2021
Bonesking:
Have you read the book? Can you give us a summary?
Na wa o. I though OP wrote a summary in his introduction. NdiIPOB and always waiting to be taught. There's a link at the end, click on it to go to the webpage.

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by Bonesking(m): 2:21pm On Jun 20, 2021
Eastlink:
Na wa o. I though OP wrote a summary in his introduction. NdiIPOB and always waiting to be taught. There's a link at the end, click on it to go to the webpage.
Ok, I heard you. But does it warrant insults? What is it with the IPOB tag?

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by limeta(f): 2:27pm On Jun 20, 2021
I beg make we face front
Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by Eastlink(m): 2:34pm On Jun 20, 2021
Bonesking:
Ok, I heard you. But does it warrant insults? What is it with the IPOB tag?
Oya sorry. Apologies
Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by tutudesz: 2:38pm On Jun 20, 2021
DLionheir:

No book has narrated succinctly Ijaw nationalism from the time of Dappa Biriye’s NDC to the arms struggle of Issac Boro. British born Igbo scholar did justice to her book on the the history of Ijaw nationalism from the 1940’s to the time of IYC/MEND militant activities.

The research published in 2009 gives much insight to hidden angles never told before about the Niger-Delta agitation. Written in English, the book features sub-sections in French language for international grasp. It was written in collaboration with the Council for Development of Social Science Research in Africa, and it's one of the book those interested in knowing about the hidden vestiges of Ijaw struggle before and after the war.

For those interested in understanding more about Ijaw nationalism, Isaac Boro’s short-lived Niger-Delta republic, Igbo antagonism as well as Ijaw political-cum economic ideological leanings, this book is for you.

The Author is an ESRC Research Fellow Department of Politics & International Relations, Oxford University UK.

Summary of the book.

1. Abstract
2. Introduction
8. Concluding Remarks
9. Notes & References.
Thank you for sharing.

Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by Eastlink(m): 2:41pm On Jun 20, 2021
OP how did you came across this research? Insightful
Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by Eastlink(m): 2:45pm On Jun 20, 2021
A few screenshots

Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by fozapi(m): 3:00pm On Jun 20, 2021
DLionheir:

Summary of the book.

1. Abstract
2. Introduction
8. Concluding Remarks
9. Notes & References.

we already know all about the ijaws how they can never change from treachery adakaboro8 come and read
Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by Eastlink(m): 3:08pm On Jun 20, 2021
The Section that talks about Isaac Boro

Now, it's obvious that NDC by Dappa Biriye and Isaac Boro’s Niger Delta revolution was sponsored by Tafawa Balewa and Ahmadu Bello.

Imagine, so Boro mourned the death of Balewa the calling him the “Protector of the Ijaws” after the coup and began his rebellion against Ironsi in retaliation to the killing of his northern allies.

Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by DLionheir: 3:17pm On Jun 20, 2021
Eastlink:
The Section that talks about Isaac Boro

Now, it's obvious that NDC by Dappa Biriye and Isaac Boro’s Niger Delta revolution was sponsored by Tafawa Balewa and Ahmadu Bello.

Imagine, so Boro mourned the death of Balewa the calling him the “Protector of the Ijaws” after the coup and began his rebellion against Ironsi in retaliation to the killing of his northern allies.
Allies might be anyone. Don't forget that Ahmadu Bello had accused Awolowo and Zik of sponsoring the Tiv rebellion in the north. Any wonder why Balewa also sponsored the Mid-West Referendum in the west and the subsequent COR agitation in the east.

Because Balewa choose to sponsor Boro, does not negate the truth that Ijaws were fighting against perceive ill-treatment on them. Boro for me took his anger in the wrong manner. Biriye might be blamed for his political decisions but don't forget not all Ijaws sided with NDC, majority were with NCNC.

At least Asari Dokubo didn't follow Boro’s path and tried to make corrections to such parasitic northern alliance by siding with MASSOB during his tenure as the IYC leader in the early 2000’s. Asari questioned the rational of Boro who he said betrayed the Niger-Delta struggle by fighting in the ranks of the federal army.
Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by tutudesz: 3:20pm On Jun 20, 2021
DLionheir:
Allies might be anyone. Don't forget that Ahmadu Bello had accused Awolowo and Zik of sponsoring the Tiv rebellion in the north.
Because Balewa choose to support Boro, does not negate the truth that Ijaws we're fighting against perceive ill-treatment on them. Boro for me took his anger in the wrong manner. Biriye might be blamed for his political decisions but don't forget not all Ijaws sided with NDC, majority were with NCNC.

At least Asari Dokubo didn't follow Boro’s path and tried to make corrections to such parasitic northern alliance by siding with MASSOB during his tenure as the INC in the early 2000’s.
Asari was IYC president and not INC

Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by DLionheir: 3:22pm On Jun 20, 2021
tutudesz:

Asari was IYC president and not INC
Mistake. I’ll make correction.
Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by tutudesz: 3:23pm On Jun 20, 2021
wink
DLionheir:
Mistake. I’ll make correction.
Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by stanluiz(m): 1:56am On Jun 21, 2021
Cc Igboid
Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by Igboid: 2:16am On Jun 21, 2021
Read the book sometime ago.
Good book.
We opened a topic about Boro using this book and the punch news paper interview by his brother sometime ago.
But the thread was quickly deleted by the mods here.
It's a good book.

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by Powersurge: 7:54am On Jun 21, 2021
Is it not amazing that it was the same Ojukwu, whom few years later declared Biafra, that fought against Isaac Boro's Niger Delta Republic?

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by Eastlink(m): 11:00pm On Jun 21, 2021
Igboid:
Read the book sometime ago.
Good book.
We opened a topic about Boro using this book and the punch news paper interview by his brother sometime ago.
But the thread was quickly deleted by the mods here.
It's a good book.
NDC, Biriye and Boro were sponsored by the north. Infact I was even suprised to know that Biriye was the first southerner to sign agreement with Balewa.
Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by 2elliot: 12:27am On Jun 22, 2021
DLionheir:
Allies might be anyone. Don't forget that Ahmadu Bello had accused Awolowo and Zik of sponsoring the Tiv rebellion in the north. Any wonder why Balewa also sponsored the Mid-West Referendum in the west and the subsequent COR agitation in the east.

Because Balewa choose to sponsor Boro, does not negate the truth that Ijaws were fighting against perceive ill-treatment on them. Boro for me took his anger in the wrong manner. Biriye might be blamed for his political decisions but don't forget not all Ijaws sided with NDC, majority were with NCNC.

At least Asari Dokubo didn't follow Boro’s path and tried to make corrections to such parasitic northern alliance by siding with MASSOB during his tenure as the IYC leader in the early 2000’s. Asari questioned the rational of Boro who he said betrayed the Niger-Delta struggle by fighting in the ranks of the federal army.
Boro is the reason why we came down from 50% derivation to a meagre 13%. Boro was an agent. If not, how did a common university student have access to weapons and money to gather hundreds of people to prosecute a war? Someone some where sponsored him. And again, if oil discovery and exploration happened in oloibiri in 1956 and 1958, it is very suspicious why Boro would seek for resource control just a mere 8yrs after. There were fewer oil field discovered then, so what could have inform him to take such a drastic action. I equally suspect that shell was involved in the crisis. Because at no time has the crisis rocking Nigeria has put a stop in oil exploration. Even during the civil war, oil Still flowed.

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by Eastlink(m): 12:49am On Jun 22, 2021
2elliot:
Boro is the reason why we came down from 50% derivation to a meagre 13%. Boro was an agent. If not, how did a common university student have access to weapons and money to gather hundreds of people to prosecute a war? Someone some where sponsored him. And again, if oil discovery and exploration happened in oloibiri in 1956 and 1958, it is very suspicious why Boro would seek for resource control just a mere 8yrs after. There were fewer oil field discovered then, so what could have inform him to take such a drastic action. I equally suspect that shell was involved in the crisis. Because at no time has the crisis rocking Nigeria has put a stop in oil exploration. Even during the civil war, oil Still flowed.
Though I've read several research that implicated Boro and his northern connections with Ahmadu Bello, but never believed it until the exposition by Boro's younger brother.

Boro and Biriye long sold the Niger-Delta to the north for political emancipation of the Ijaws from the so-called monster Igbos. Now I see why north keep saying their groundnut helped with the oil. I guess the groundnut money meant the tactic support they gave Biriye and Boro.

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by Igboid: 1:01am On Jun 22, 2021
2elliot:

Eastern region hardly got any money from crude oil before the war broke out.
The region was reliant on dwindling palm oil revenue and PAYE taxation of citizens the Finance minister, Imoke introduced.

The very idea that Niger Delta was being exploited of it's oil spinned by Boro was a blatant lie!
Oloibiri was running in 1956, but Afam uku oil well came on board in 1957 and Owaza came on board in 1958. Both Afam uku and Owaza are in Igboland.
Shell made payment only thrice to Nigeria before the war.
I attached it below.

Boro was demonic. The East wasn't running on crude oil before the war.

3 Likes

Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by Igboid: 1:07am On Jun 22, 2021
Shell paid 65,000 pounds to the Eastern region in 1959 which was shared with the FG.

It was so meagre that Awolowo and West Region never cared about it and the East was running around to tax citizens to raise money to keep the region afloat, hence the introduction of PAYE by Imoke.

It shall never be well with Adaka Boro and all who Revere him till today.

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by Eastlink(m): 1:12am On Jun 22, 2021
Igboid:

Eastern region hardly got any money from crude oil before the war broke out.
The region was reliant on dwindling palm oil revenue and PAYE taxation of citizens the Finance minister, Imoke introduced.

The very idea that Niger Delta was being exploited of it's oil spinned by Boro was a blatant lie!
Oloibiri was running in 1956, but Afam uku oil well came on board in 1957 and Owaza came on board in 1958. Both Afam uku and Owaza are in Igboland.
Shell made payment only thrice to Nigeria before the war.
I attached it below.

Boro was demonic. The East wasn't running on crude oil before the war.
You could see from the research that Oil was simply an excuse used by Boro to excute his scam 12 days revolution. The initial idea was already planned by Biriye and NPC before independence for an exclusive Ijaw state controlled by the federal government. I see Biriye's brainwashing of Boro that led the youngman to carry out such ignorant move. Biriye himself is not even a Bonny proper but a migrant from god knows where who failed politically in Bonny. Failed politically even in his own Ijawland and resorted to tribalism to so that his party NDC can gain acceptance in the riverine areas.

Even when the NPC was fighting for an exclusive Rivers region, you could see that the Kalabari chiefs were not in support of them but wanted a COR region with alliance with the NCNC and Ndigbo. The same thing played out during the creation of Bayelsa. Kalabari was cajoled to join before standing ground that they arent going anywhere but want to be a part of Port-Harcourt state with the Uplanders.

Pazi hope you can now see where I told you that Rivers state from inception has been programmed by north to remain anti-Igbo. A Port-Harcourt state would have broken that deadlock, but unfortunately Obi Wali was murdered by Abacha sponsored cultists to kill that dream.
Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by Igboid: 1:13am On Jun 22, 2021
This is why I insist on Igbo only country.

Minorities are nothing but draw backs to us. These lots don't reason well.

A Region was ran from 1938 to 1956 with Coal from Enugu and palm oil from mainly Igboland, AkwaCross and Igboid upper RIVERS ( Ikwerre, Ogba,etc) and taxation of the citizens.
Then immediately they discovered oil in your Region, and not only your own region o! Igbo regions had oil too, you went and brought in vipers and burnt down the house.

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by Eastlink(m): 1:19am On Jun 22, 2021
Igboid:
This is why I insist on Igbo only country.

Minorities are nothing but draw backs to us. These lots don't reason well.

A Region was ran from 1938 to 1956 with Coal from Enugu and palm oil from mainly Igboland, AkwaCross and Igboid upper RIVERS ( Ikwerre, Ogba,etc) and taxation of the citizens.
Then immediately they discovered oil in your Region, and not only your own region o! Igbo regions had oil too, you went and brought in vipers and burnt down the house.

And what was Zik and Okpara doing when he was bringing in these vipers? Zik might be forgiven cause he had his eyes on the centre, but Okpara was too politically amateur not to see the game played by NPC in his own backyard.

I think Igbos needs to understand the political game and forget about this Biafra for now. The cards are stack against us. The first thing to do is to play the politics right, even if it's to align with other group to seize power from the north.

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by Igboid: 1:23am On Jun 22, 2021
Eastlink:
You could see from the research that Oil was simply an excuse used by Boro to excute his scam 12 days revolution. The initial idea was already planned by Biriye and NPC before independence for an exclusive Ijaw state controlled by the federal government. I see Biriye's brainwashing of Boro that led the youngman to carry out such ignorant move. Biriye himself is not even a Bonny proper but a migrant from god knows where who failed politically in Bonny. Failed politically even in his own Ijawland and resorted to tribalism to so that his party NDC can gain acceptance in the riverine areas.

This is Afam uku in Owerri province and Aba division then o!
Oil was already being drilled in Igboland in 1957. Oloibiri was just 1956 o!
So it's not like it's just only Ijaw that was being drilled then.
And these were early days, Shell was exploring with their own money, so there was no rush for them to start paying up to the Government.
The idea was to channel profits to more exploration for future gains.

Little did Okpara and co knew! Chai!

Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by Igboid: 1:29am On Jun 22, 2021
Eastlink:
And what was Zik and Okpara doing when he was bringing in these vipers? Zik might be forgiven cause he had his eyes on the centre, but Okpara was too politically amateur not to see the game played by NPC in his own backyard.

I think Igbos needs to understand the political game and forget about this Biafra for now. The cards are stack against us. The first thing to do is to play the politics right, even if it's to align with other group to seize power from the north.

You can forgive Okpara and Zik for ignoring the danger the Ijaws posed to the region and Ndiigbo as a whole.
They didn't have any antecedents to work with.
It doesn't make sense that the Ijaws would bring in the Hausa-Fulanis and scatter the whole region when they too would suffer from such scenario.
Okpara probably thought they were dealing with a people capable of rational reasoning.

So you we can forgive them, even though we are disappointed they weren't shrewd and strategic enough to see things better, but they can nevertheless be forgiven.

But what do you say about modern day mad men that call themselves IPOB and their leadership promoting multi ethnic BIAFRA with these same Ijaws?
I see some of them calling Ijaws "our brothers" and I just shake my head. This is reminiscent of an "Abuzu" burning on fire and kidding itself that it's producing oil and looking shiny.

The stupidity is mind-blowing.

These people (Ijaws) are planning to celebrate one stupid ceremony they call "Gaa Niger" today, where they twist tales and narratives and tell their children that Igbos tried to evacuate them from their lands during the war and replace them with Igbos. This is how they raise their children with Igbo hate from infant hood to adulthood.
You can imagine such blatant lies.When it's common knowledge that Biafra soldiers often evacuated theatres if war in BIAFRA even in Igboland, to minimize civilian casualties.

And you tell me these people can be brought to reasoning? Why would any well breast fed person want to share a country with these people? angry

1 Like

Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by Eastlink(m): 1:41am On Jun 22, 2021
Igboid:

You can forgive Okpara and Zik for ignoring the danger the Ijaws posed to the region and Ndiigbo as a whole.
They didn't have any antecedents to work with.
It doesn't make sense that the Ijaws would bring in the Hausa-Fulanis and scatter the whole region when they too would suffer from such scenario.
Okpara probably thought they were dealing with a people capable of rational reasoning.

So you we can forgive them, even though we are disappointed they weren't shrewd and strategic enough to see things better, but they can nevertheless be forgiven.

But what do you say about modern day mad men that call themselves IPOB and their leadership promoting multi ethnic BIAFRA with these same Ijaws?
I see some of them calling Ijaws "our brothers" and I just shake my head. This is reminiscent of an "Abuzu" burning on fire and kidding itself that it's producing oil and looking shiny.

The stupidity is mind-blowing.

Eastern Ijaws share same blood connection with Ndigbo. A lot of mixing happened by virtue of mass Ijaw migration from the west to the east where they mingled with the natives. If you read ancient Kalabari, Okrika and Bonny history, you'll see that they told the British voyagers that their ancestral home is in Igboland. Any wonder why all their Kings claimed Igbo descent, from King Amachree to Pepple name them.

Biriye is still an enigma as only god knows where he came from. Even when Biriye was going about his shenanigan you could see that he was a one man show like Muric. The defeat of Biafra gave him an opportunity to cement his pre-independence northern alliance where Balewa promised a federal controlled Ijaw state if the NDC voted for them.

The Biafra war caused a lot of damaged for Ndigbo and the east. Take look at the map to see one of the effect. 1. Igbo denial syndrome and total wipe out of Igbo connections in the riverine areas. 2. Igboland and map shrinked from the coast to only the small hinterland.
Re: Ijaw Nationalism, Boro, Biriye, Biafra & Northern Allegiance by Igboid: 1:48am On Jun 22, 2021
Eastlink:
Eastern Ijaws share same blood connection with Ndigbo. A lot of mixing happened by virtue of mass Ijaw migration from the west to the east where they mingled with the natives. If you read ancient Kalabari, Okrika and Bonny history, you'll see that they told the British voyagers that their ancestral home is in Igboland. Any wonder why all their Kings claimed Igbo descent, from Amakiri to Pepple name them.

Biriye is still an enigma as only god knows where he came from. Even when Biriye was going about his shenanigan you could see that he was a one man show like Muric. The defeat of Biafra gave him an opportunity to cement his pre-independence northern alliance where Balewa promised a federal controlled Ijaw state if the NDC vote for them.

The Biafra war caused a lot of damaged for Ndigbo and the east. Take look at the map to see one of the effect. 1. Igbo denial syndrome and total wipe out of Igbo connections to the affirmentioned areas. 2. Igboland and map shrinked from the coast to only the small hinterland.

Yes Biafra war caused lots of issues for Ndiigbo.
It would take a second war to correct things.
You can understand why I'm not a fan of Zik.
We had a fire burning in our backyard and not for once did he sniff it out and handled. He was a very shortsighted fellow. The more you study past events, the more you realize this. Awolowo was more farsighted.

Unlike you, I don't believe there's is a political solution to this situation.

We just have to hang on long enough and make sure this final battle will not be one we are forced into at Emergency point.
It should be a well planned generational one. If we fail to put enough resources together, we can hand it over to our children.

We can try playing the political game as temporary measure while we plan the final battle as long term plan.
One we will fight with international allies and enough weapons.

That's my take on this.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Observation: Buhari's Address To UNGA On Terrorism Missed IPOB / What Is Even Wrong If Seyi Tinubu Become Lagos State Governor / Biafra: Ebubeagu Strikes, Killed Scores And Burnt Down Houses In IMO Community

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.