Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,766 members, 7,809,953 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:41 PM

The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria (813 Views)

Atheists Debate Religionists * / Who Is In Abuja? Let's Discuss Or Debate In Person. / DEBATE: Pls Present All The Biblical Contradictions And Lies Here. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by Saifullah01: 3:04pm On Jun 20, 2021
Given the way our fellow Christian in the country are forcefully against the Hijaab (head covering for women) you would think it was in their religious doctrine to oppose it.

I am of the opinion that we Nigerians are sentimental, subjective and are as far away from the spirit of what the doctrines of our religion teaches as "chalk is to cheese". In essence we are hippocrates, creed confused and morally flexible, and that is why we are in the mess we find ourselves today.

See the beautiful way these Ethiopian Christians cover themselves (you would think they are muslims) and yet these people have an unbroken connection to christianity since the 4th century AD.

Civil discussions only please

Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by luvmijeje(f): 3:19pm On Jun 20, 2021
I really want to contribute but I don't understand the issue. Why are the Christians against the use of hijab?
Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by Saifullah01: 3:24pm On Jun 20, 2021
luvmijeje:
I really want to contribute but I don't understand the issue. Why are the Christians against the use of hijab?
Yes please, that's my point- their strong antagonism to Muslim kids wearing hijaab to school.
Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by milliondollas(m): 3:28pm On Jun 20, 2021
Wear hijab to christian school, can I wear my shoe into the mosque
Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by Saifullah01: 3:51pm On Jun 20, 2021
milliondollas:
Wear hijab to christian school, can I wear my shoe into the mosque
Thank you for your analogy. But that is the problem - the way we approach problems!

1. Is it against your religious teaching how muslims dress? or is your antagonistic response based on the context of your interactions with some badly behaved muslims?

2. Is it allowed to enter a mosque with a shoe from an islamic perspective? or is it because I just despise Christians so much that "even their shoes" are not allowed in a mosque?

Notice how I frame the two issues. I am not providing answers here, but just providing different perspectives to issues. The first aspect in the 2 points above is from religious stance and the second is from personal stance. (The latter provides room for more flexibility)
It will be unfair for adherent of any religion to ask others to change their religious stance.

PS. and yes you can enter a mosque with a shoe so long as it is clean (but I can bet you even some muslims dont know this)
Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by luvmijeje(f): 4:54pm On Jun 20, 2021
Saifullah01:

Yes please, that's my point- their strong antagonism to Muslim kids wearing hijaab to school.

Thanks for your response. Hijab is for covering of head and I know most schools have Beret that goes with their uniform. So why insist on hijab? What is wrong with the school beret?
Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by Saifullah01: 9:07pm On Jun 20, 2021
luvmijeje:

Thanks for your response. Hijab is for covering of head and I know most schools have Beret that goes with their uniform. So why insist on hijab? What is wrong with the school beret?
Good point! but in islam the stipulation is a to use a "Khimaar" (a part of the hijaab) which covers the head (except the face). A beret unfortunately would not fulfill such requirements.
So you see a devout Muslim lady will fill deprived of her right (nay, her obligations) to practice her faith if forced to not wear hijaab if forced to take off her hijaab
Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 9:20pm On Jun 20, 2021
Saifullah01:

Thank you for your analogy. But that is the problem - the way we approach problems!

1. Is it against your religious teaching how muslims dress? or is your antagonistic response based on the context of your interactions with some badly behaved muslims?

2. Is it allowed to enter a mosque with a shoe from an islamic perspective? or is it because I just despise Christians so much that "even their shoes" are not allowed in a mosque?

Notice how I frame the two issues. I am not providing answers here, but just providing different perspectives to issues. The first aspect in the 2 points above is from religious stance and the second is from personal stance. (The latter provides room for more flexibility)
It will be unfair for adherent of any religion to ask others to change their religious stance.

PS. and yes you can enter a mosque with a shoe so long as it is clean (but I can bet you even some muslims dont know this)
The difference between a Christian school and a secular school is that in Christian school, non-Christian elements are frowned upon in much the same way that muslim schools frown upon the introduction of non- muslim elements are frowned upon. undecided

Your hijab is a Muslim element so, understandably, the Christian schools frown upon it in much the same way they would hip-beads ,and items representative of other religious beliefs. undecided

Honestly ,this debate is really moot. Each group should learn to respect the others. The same level of respect a muslim school desires should be accorded the Christian schools. undecided

Growing up, I never bothered to attend catholic school, or any Christian school because I knew I would not have been able to live up to their rules. And I did this out of respect for each groups right to police their territory according to their rules, and for myself. No one is above respecting the right of others, not even the muslims in this. undecided

Either learn to conform to the schools rules or move the fk on! undecided

1 Like

Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by Ola17: 9:24pm On Jun 20, 2021
Saifullah01:

Can a Christian freely drink alcohol in Kano?
Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 5:11am On Jun 21, 2021
Saifullah01:

Good point! but in islam the stipulation is a to use a "Khimaar" (a part of the hijaab) which covers the head (except the face). A beret unfortunately would not fulfill such requirements.
So you see a devout Muslim lady will fill deprived of her right (nay, her obligations) to practice her faith if forced to not wear hijaab if forced to take off her hijaab
And therein lies the problem. Your devout women does not get a green card to impose her faith on others. undecided
Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by Saifullah01: 8:40am On Jun 21, 2021
Kobojunkie:
The difference between a Christian school and a secular school is that in Christian school, non-Christian elements are frowned upon in much the same way that muslim schools frown upon the introduction of non- muslim elements are frowned upon. undecided

Your hijab is a Muslim element so, understandably, the Christian schools frown upon it in much the same way they would hip-beads ,and items representative of other religious beliefs. undecided

Honestly ,this debate is really moot. Each group should learn to respect the others. The same level of respect a muslim school desires should be accorded the Christian schools. undecided

Growing up, I never bothered to attend catholic school, or any Christian school because I knew I would not have been able to live up to their rules. And I did this out of respect for each groups right to police their territory according to their rules, and for myself. No one is above respecting the right of others, not even the muslims in this. undecided

Either learn to conform to the schools rules or move the fk on! undecided
You are mixing it up, Anything personal has no imposition in it - if a Muslim lady wants to wear her Khimaar (head covering), or a Christian her rosary (or hip beads as you mentioned) or a jew his skull cap then so be it. These things are all personal and impose nothing on others (rather it is the "others" that want to impose their own view of what is acceptable)

We have tried to "forget our differences" for so long and it is the cause of the derision each side has. We should try to "understand our differences" rather. For instance as muslim I am required to "pray" 5 specific times a day (such is the obligation that when i am physically incapacitated i am still required to meditate it in my mind before the appointed time elapse) so you can see that I would need a couple of minutes of prayer breaks and place daily. You should not dismiss my requirement because it doesn't apply to you, or request that you must be given same consideration, because it doesn't apply to you.

For religiously observant Jews, Shabbat is as important as any other holy day. Orthodox Jews do not work or travel on Shabbat. Consequently, Friday evening or Saturday classes or exams will generally pose a conflict for Orthodox Jewish students - This should be considered and accommodated as well.

I agree it is a tough call and prejudices die hard especially in the charged up environment we find ourselves, but we need to need to find the level headedness to understand ourselves.

PS. I went to a catholic school. I still remember my small blue booklet of songs of praise and my illustrated bible (which surprisingly helped me in understanding the stories of the prophets in the quran!)
Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by Saifullah01: 8:43am On Jun 21, 2021
Kobojunkie:
And therein lies the problem. Your devout women does not get a green card to impose her faith on others. undecided
I hope my earlier comment above addresses this issue of imposition of personal beliefs.
Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 2:03pm On Jun 21, 2021
Saifullah01:

You are mixing it up, Anything personal has no imposition in it - if a Muslim lady wants to wear her Khimaar (head covering), or a Christian her rosary (or hip beads as you mentioned) or a jew his skull cap then so be it. These things are all personal and nothing on others (rather it is the "others" that want to impose their own view of what is acceptable)
I am afraid you lost me at this point here where you declare that anything personal has no imposition. We are speaking here of schools where rules are expected to be adhered to by individuals. undecided

If the argument offered by a prospective male student's legal team as reason why he ought to be allowed to enroll in a Females-only school was something like "anything personal( including the boys meatsack) has no imposition to it", would you be wiling to accept that as a valid enough case against the schools "No boys allowed" rule? And please state reason for your stance. . undecided
Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by luvmijeje(f): 2:04am On Jun 23, 2021
Saifullah01:

How come the men don't feel deprived of their right when they don't wear cap to school? Why is the covering of head made compulsory for only women?
Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by Saifullah01: 10:56am On Jun 23, 2021
luvmijeje:

How come the men don't feel deprived of their right when they don't wear cap to school? Why is the covering of head made compulsory for only women?

In islam there is a level of modesty required of both women and men, for the women part of this requirement is the khimaar(head covering). The cap, though a good sence of islamic fashion, is not a requirement for men (just as face covering is not compulsory for women).

My comment on sence of deprivation arises from difficulty ladies who want to uphold this tenet of their faith face but are deprived of it. And as @Kobojunkie mentioned above, yea the lady can seek alternative institutions. But if we can accommodate ourselves, why not we do it.
Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by BitCraftman: 11:26am On Jun 23, 2021
Hijab covering is just a piece of clothing just like bikini or mini skirt. Will you accept bikini or mini skirt in a mosque or Islamic school?

If muslims can size public spaces and use them for religious purposes, what stops non muslims from outlawing hijab from private businesses.
Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 11:42am On Jun 23, 2021
Saifullah01:

In islam there is a level of modesty required of both women and men, for the women part of this requirement is the khimaar(head covering). The cap, though a good sence of islamic fashion, is not a requirement for men (just as face covering is not compulsory for women).

My comment on sence of deprivation arises from difficulty ladies who want to uphold this tenet of their faith face but are deprived of it. And as @Kobojunkie mentioned above, yea the lady can seek alternative institutions. But if we can accommodate ourselves, why not we do it.
No one has a right to impose his/her "personal" beliefs on others , and certainly neither does your lady here on the "Christian" schools. undecided
Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by Ola17: 11:53am On Jun 23, 2021
BitCraftman:
Hijab covering is just a piece of clothing just like bikini or mini skirt. Will you accept bikini or mini skirt in a mosque or Islamic school? .

I asked the hypocrite if A Christian can freely drink beer in Kano but he couldn’t answer. If non Muslims aren't allow to buy, sell or consume alcohol in their own properties in some parts of the North, how then do you protest students being denied use of hijab in some Christian schools?
Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by Saifullah01: 2:09pm On Jun 23, 2021
Ola17:

I asked the hypocrite if A Christian can freely drink beer in Kano but he couldn’t answer. If non Muslims aren't allow to buy, sell or consume alcohol in their own properties in some parts of the North, how then do you protest students being denied use of hijab in some Christian schools?

The above comment is why I don't want to join issues with you. Peace
Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by Guavo: 3:22pm On Jun 23, 2021
Saifullah01:

I hope my earlier comment above addresses this issue of imposition of personal beliefs.
you have not answered the question ola17 asked you on banning of beer in kano. what do you think ? I got that feeling you intentionally ignored that comment because it's going to expose your hypocrisy and bias in this topic you just created.

1 Like

Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by Guavo: 3:38pm On Jun 23, 2021
Saifullah01:

No,the only reason you dont want to engage ola17 on that pertinent question he asked you is that the converstation will bring your hypocrisy to light. He was not rude nor used foul language on you,so why backing off ? Banning of beer in kano state and even enjoying the revenue it generates with other states and christain schools being against hijab usage inthe school is the perfect analogy for these conversation sir. Even the blind can see it. So,what do you think ?

1 Like

Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by Ola17: 4:18pm On Jun 23, 2021
Saifullah01:

Chief how do you mean? This comment was made today, are you clairvoyant?
Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by Ola17: 4:30pm On Jun 23, 2021
Guavo:
No,the only reason you dont want to engage ola17 on that pertinent question he asked you is that the converstation will bring your hypocrisy to light. He was not rude nor used foul language on you,so why backing off ? Banning of beer in kano state and even enjoying the revenue it generates with other states and christain schools being against hijab usage inthe school is the perfect analogy for these conversation sir. Even the blind can see it. So,what do you think ?

I don’t know when telling someone that he doesn’t practice what he preaches(hypocrisy) became an insult.
Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by Saifullah01: 4:47pm On Jun 23, 2021
Ola17:

Chief how do you mean? This comment was made today, are you clairvoyant?
I haven't engaged you in any discussion, yet you have started hurling insults, how then will it be if I responded with something you dont agree with. My first post mentioned civil discussions only. Peace
Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by Ola17: 4:56pm On Jun 23, 2021
Saifullah01:

I haven't engaged you in any discussion, yet you have started hurling insults, how then will it be if I responded with something you dont agree with. My first post mentioned civil discussions only. Peace

Calling someone a hypocrite isn’t an insult sir. It simply means someone who doesn’t practice what he preaches. Now that we’ve gotten this out of the way, why can’t a non Muslim freely consume alcohol in places like Kano?
Re: The Hijaab Debate In Nigeria by luvmijeje(f): 9:19am On Jun 26, 2021
Saifullah01:

I don't know if you can see where I am going with this but for those who can't let me break it down.

The covering of head with the hijab is a level of modesty required by man. It is cultural. Hijab emanate from the Middle East. You use it in a place that is acceptable.

When you go into a foreign environment, you learn to blend. In order not to arouse animosity, you must learn to blend into an environment you meet yourself. That is what we should teach our children. We should teach our children our spiritual belief is a personal belief and it can't be bigger than an institution.

Religion belief should be left in religion centers. Should be left at home. Should be left where it is acceptable. And should be hidden where it is not. That's what's called RESPECT.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Babalawos Masquerading As Pastors / See The Handbill That Was Given To Me Today. Do You Agree? / How Do Christians Interprete This Yahweh Verses?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.