Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,740 members, 7,817,042 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:32 AM

Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are (4668 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by ib0221: 9:46am On Jun 25, 2021
theFilmtric:

I am Ake

I understand
You are Owu right?
Why are you misspelling the words "Owu" and "Alake"?
You are not wrong and I do not notice the misspellings, may be system fault.
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by theFilmtric: 9:51am On Jun 25, 2021
ib0221:
You are not wrong and I do not notice the misspellings, may be system fault.
We are all Yoruba in the end
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by ib0221: 9:58am On Jun 25, 2021
theFilmtric:

We are all Yoruba in the end
Of course, my brother.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by IduNaOba: 5:19pm On Jun 25, 2021
theFilmtric:

Igbo means "bush" "forest"
grin

Forest amaka

theFilmtricsay
Yes we are called ndị agụ
Agụ = forest
Forest is a signification of nature.
We are nature's original direct followcome people
Ndị gboo
Ndị mbụ
So yes
Forest amaka
And that's why ESN is there to do the needful grin
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by theFilmtric: 10:59pm On Jun 25, 2021
IduNaOba:

Yes we are called ndị agụ
Agụ = forest
Forest is a signification of nature.
We are nature's original direct followcome people
Ndị gboo
Ndị mbụ
So yes
Forest amaka
And that's why ESN is there to do the needful grin
I saw what you did there cheesy

Igbo Amaka

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by ADEGUNWA01: 12:54am On Apr 24, 2023
Sammy07:

BTW, Akure dialects is Ekiti I think, then I think Ekiti should be be written as (Ekiti, Kwara, Ondo states)

Akure is not Ekti and Akure dialect is different from that of ekiti. Akure is pure akure as a sub ethnic group of yoruba
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by ADEGUNWA01: 12:55am On Apr 24, 2023
Sammy07:

I think Akure dialects is Ekiti

Akure is not Ekti and Akure dialect is different from that of ekiti. Akure is pure akure as a sub ethnic group of yoruba
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by ADEGUNWA01: 12:59am On Apr 24, 2023
Alba3:

So Emure-Ekiti, Igbara-odo are part of Akure? Do little research about Ekiti confederation history. How did Deji found himself in Ekiti Pelupelu Obas before political demarcation? The entire Akure North, South, Ifedore LGA in Ondo state have shared history with Ekitis with little ìjèsà influence just as we find in Igbara-odo, Okemesi, Efon, Ikogosi, etc.

Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by ADEGUNWA01: 10:30pm On Jul 22, 2023
Alba3:

So Emure-Ekiti, Igbara-odo are part of Akure? Do little research about Ekiti confederation history. How did Deji found himself in Ekiti Pelupelu Obas before political demarcation? The entire Akure North, South, Ifedore LGA in Ondo state have shared history with Ekitis with little ìjèsà influence just as we find in Igbara-odo, Okemesi, Efon, Ikogosi, etc.

Mr Man akure is not ekiti Kingdom pls, just like that ijesa man is trying to force akure to be part of his ijesa which is not possible
Owa obokun will not even say akure is ijesa, the whole of akure as of today is bigger than the whole of ijesa land so if we want to have a so called state with ijesa due to land akure should embrace ijesa.

Akure was never part of ur Ekiti go and read the first historical book about akure written in yoruba by Pa Atandare a man born around 1890s said akure kin se ekiti ra ati ra. The British only merged akure with ekiti because of administrative convenience not more nothing less and in 1946 wen akure separate from the British they realized it was an error to merged akure with ekiti, I know this because I'm a prince and I grow up in the Deji's palace so I have those documents in the palace archive. Akure is Akure not Ekiti abeg. The present akure is the second biggest or largest after Ibadan.
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by ADEGUNWA01: 10:34pm On Jul 22, 2023
Sammy07:

BTW, Akure dialects is Ekiti I think, then I think Ekiti should be be written as (Ekiti, Kwara, Ondo states)

Mr Man akure is not ekiti Kingdom pls, just like that ijesa man is trying to force akure to be part of his ijesa which is not possible
Owa obokun will not even say akure is ijesa, the whole of akure as of today is bigger than the whole of ijesa land so if we want to have a so called state with ijesa due to land akure should embrace ijesa.

Akure was never part of ur Ekiti go and read the first historical book about akure written in yoruba by Pa Atandare a man born around 1890s said akure kin se ekiti ra ati ra. The British only merged akure with ekiti because of administrative convenience not more nothing less and in 1946 wen akure separate from the British they realized it was an error to merged akure with ekiti, I know this because I'm a prince and I grow up in the Deji's palace so I have those documents in the palace archive. Akure is Akure not Ekiti abeg. The present akure is the second biggest or largest after Ibadan.
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by ADEGUNWA01: 10:35pm On Jul 22, 2023
Sammy07:

I think Akure dialects is Ekiti
Akure dialect is akure we don't speak ekiti pls
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by ADEGUNWA01: 10:36pm On Jul 22, 2023
ipodstinks:
Nope, Akure is entirely different from Ekiti.

I am from Akure

Akure is Akure 💯👌🏼
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by ADEGUNWA01: 10:37pm On Jul 22, 2023
illicit:

Yes
Akure speaks Ekiti dialect

Akure don't speak ekiti and akure as nothing to do with Ekiti simple
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by ADEGUNWA01: 10:39pm On Jul 22, 2023
illicit:

Its possible I know it than u

I am full blooded Ekiti and born and raised in Akure

Because u are Ekiti born in akure shows u know better than those of us born and a prince of akure. We akure aren't Ekiti alaye
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by ADEGUNWA01: 10:44pm On Jul 22, 2023
Alba3:

Any difference in dialect among these towns, Iju, Emure, Akure, Ijare, Igbara-oke, Igbara-odo, Ilara-moki, Ikere dialect? Same dialect but in two states. Akure North, South, Ifedore are Ekitis culturally but not in a political entity. Deji of Akure used to be part of Ekiti Pelupelu Obas.

Pls mention the times the Deji attended the pelupelu meeting the Deji then Oba Adesida1 only attend ekiti oba meeting once or twice and he complain to the british resident in akure than that he is not Ekiti and can't attend meeting of ppl he is not part of historically and the R.C and District officer that time begged him to attend until akure was removed from Ekiti in 1946. The Deji never attend any yoruba obas meeting in 1937 as ekiti Oba NO he was addressed as Deji of akure no Ekiti so why will u say akure is ekiti what nonsense is that even the ewi of Ado will not say such rubbish. Wen oore of Otun Otun Ekiti was merged with ilorin Emirate does that make him ilorin because the British merged Otun with ilorin NO so akure is not ekiti. Go read the first book written in yoruba by Pa Atandare about akure 1930s , he said akure kin se Ekiti ra ati ra
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by ADEGUNWA01: 10:47pm On Jul 22, 2023
Alba3:

Before the Ekiti Parapo, there had been Ekiti confederal states and Pelupelu which Akure was part of, so also towns in Oke Ẹrọ and Ekiti LGAs in Kwara state (also some towns in Akoko like Irun, Ogbagi, though debatable). Ijesa was never part of this, although they are the closest group to Ekitis and they both faced the same existencial conflicts with Ibadan which gave rise to the uprising against the later referred to as Kiriji war.

We only have 5 stocks in Central Yoruba: Ife, Ekiti, Ìjèsà, Igbomina and Yagba. Can we now say Akure is with South Eastern Yoruba of Owo, Ijebu, Ilaje, Ikale, Akoko, Ondo, etc or with North Western Yoruba of Oyo, Ibolo, Owe, Egba, etc?
Among the Yorubas, the thin line that separates Ibolo from Oyo speaking group is same that separates Ìjèsà from Ekiti; they're very very close in everything. Akure have never had different identify until recently because it's the capital city of Ondo state. Go and study the culture, tradition, songs and history of a place like Igbara-Oke, Ilaramoki, Ijede, Iju, etc in Ondo state and compare with places like Igbara-odo, Ogotun, Ikere, Ise, etc in Ekiti.

It's also pathetic to see people saying Otun-Ekiti people are Igbomina (when you still have several Ekiti towns in Kwara after Otun) or Okemesi-Ekiti people are Ìjèsà. Ekiti is the only homogeneous state in the South if not in the entire Nigeria; the same stock of Yoruba people. They are only influenced in the boundary areas by Ijesa, Igbomina, Okun, Akoko, Owo and Ondo dialects of same Yoruba they belong to. The most important thing is Ekiti people understand themselves regardless the version one used unlike some parts of Akoko.

You don't know akure history Mr man obviously u Re only saying things u read online but not akure history and all those lies written by ekiti writer all in the name of they are jealous of akure cos they want akure to still be part of them after the rubbish mistake the british made by merging akure with ekiti
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by Alba3: 8:00am On Jul 23, 2023
ADEGUNWA01:

You don't know akure history Mr man obviously u Re only saying things u read online but not akure history and all those lies written by ekiti writer all in the name of they are jealous of akure cos they want akure to still be part of them after the rubbish mistake the british made by merging akure with ekiti
Tell us correct history of Akure. There's no sub-group of Yoruba called Akure. So, you want to tell me that Iju, Ijarẹ, Igbara-Oke, etc are Akure?
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by Alba3: 8:07am On Jul 23, 2023
ADEGUNWA01:

Pls mention the times the Deji attended the pelupelu meeting the Deji then Oba Adesida1 only attend ekiti oba meeting once or twice and he complain to the british resident in akure than that he is not Ekiti and can't attend meeting of ppl he is not part of historically and the R.C and District officer that time begged him to attend until akure was removed from Ekiti in 1946. The Deji never attend any yoruba obas meeting in 1937 as ekiti Oba NO he was addressed as Deji of akure no Ekiti so why will u say akure is ekiti what nonsense is that even the ewi of Ado will not say such rubbish. Wen oore of Otun Otun Ekiti was merged with ilorin Emirate does that make him ilorin because the British merged Otun with ilorin NO so akure is not ekiti. Go read the first book written in yoruba by Pa Atandare about akure 1930s , he said akure kin se Ekiti ra ati ra

You lied there, what Akure is doing now was what Efon king did to their king. Tell me part of your culture, dialects, food, erekesan market, egugun, etc that's different from that of Ekiti. Everything in Akure is Ekiti. Even Idanre shares both heritage of Ondo and Ekiti. You may now want to call yourself ìjèsà, Ado-bini, chose to be new group or whatever but you were part of Ekiti confederation. History doesn't lie because of present arrogance or pride that came about because your place was chosen as provincial headquarters over Ondo, courtesy of the same Ekitis.

"...in the Ekiti Confederation, Deji Adesida was greatly missed when he pulled out of the agreement. He opted out because he could no longer tolerate Alaaye Adeniran of Efon Kingdom's humiliation and recalcitrant attitude, who during discussions did not value his age and rank. Oba Adeniran was said to be a dictator who was pompous and arrogant. A war of words, apparently over traditional seniority as descendants of Oduduwa, broke out between the aged Deji and the youthful Alaaye. The former took exception to the latter's arrogance. He warned Alaaye against power's arrogance, saying: "What you approached with a big wooden spoon is the world of honey that we elders try to lick with our finger." In years to come, Alaaye's youthful exuberance led to his waterloo.

When Deji Adesida returned to Akure, he informed the resident of the incident between him and the Alaaye and convinced him to carve Akure and the surrounding area out of Ekiti land. The resident compelled him to do so and the chord was cut."
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by Alba3: 8:38am On Jul 23, 2023
ADEGUNWA01:

Your Akure was historically Ekiti. Putting -Ekiti after every Ekiti town and village was something recent. Most Ekiti towns and villages in present Kwara and Ondo states don't even use it
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by Christistruth03: 8:57am On Jul 23, 2023
Elliotwaveforec:
grin

Owu dey Lagos in Owu Mushin and Mosafejo near Badagry

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by Christistruth03: 8:57am On Jul 23, 2023
Alba3:
Your Akure was historically Ekiti. Putting -Ekiti after every Ekiti town and village was something recent. Most Ekiti towns and villages in present Kwara and Ondo states don't even use it

You are right

Akure was in the Ekiti Parapo Army

and was considered part of the Ekiti Parapo

Even the Kabba and Okun People of Kogi State were classified as Ekiti in those days

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

I Was Doing Well In Okada Business Until Hope Uzodimma Deceived Me - Abba Kyari / Gen. Ishaya Bamaiyi Discharged And Acquited! / Shocking! Nigerian New Customs Chief Forges Certificates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.