Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,971 members, 7,825,037 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 01:20 AM

Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are (4704 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by Elliotwaveforec: 4:15pm On Jun 23, 2021
Christistruth00:

Ok Owu in Egbaland, Thank you

Please what of Modakeke some say they are Oyo others Claim they are Owu but most of the Elders have Owu Tribal Marks and yet still Claim an Oyo ancestry

Modakekes are Oyos nah

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by Elliotwaveforec: 4:17pm On Jun 23, 2021
ib0221:

First there is nothing called Egba Ow u. Simply Ow u in Abeokuta. Furthermore, I can give some in Lagos such as: Owu Ikosi, Owu Gbawojo, Ow u Igbooye, Owu Mosafejo (Badagry) and Ow u Maiyegun ( Et I- Os a), OwU Mushin.

You're right! Owu is Owu; Egba is Egba.
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by Gbagura: 4:21pm On Jun 23, 2021
theTranslator:
Egba here
bá í sì ooo
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by Gbagura: 4:32pm On Jun 23, 2021
ib0221:

First there is nothing called Egba Ow u. Simply Ow u in Abeokuta. Furthermore, I can give some in Lagos such as: Owu Ikosi, Owu Gbawojo, Ow u Igbooye, Owu Mosafejo (Badagry) and Ow u Maiyegun ( Et I- Os a), OwU Mushin.
Egba òwú does exist. Obasanjo and Amosun are from òwú in Ẹ̀gbá.
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by Gbagura: 4:37pm On Jun 23, 2021
Elliotwaveforec:

You're right! Owu is Owu; Egba is Egba.
Òwú in Ẹ̀gbá don't think that way. They are in the vanguard of Ẹ̀gbá development. Infact they are more Ẹ̀gbá than the rest of us.
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by 9jakool: 4:56pm On Jun 23, 2021
Elliotwaveforec:

1. Oyo and Ibolo are not the same.

Ibolo group- North Osun state and South Kwara state

Oyo group- East Oyo state, West Osun state, Central Kwara state

2. Yewa is not one group, it's just an umbrella term.

Yewa proper (Old Egbado) people- North Yewa LGA and South Yewa LGA

Ketu people- Imeko Afon LGA and North Yewa LGA

Ohori (Ije) people- Yewa North LGA and Ipokia LGA

Anago (Nago) people- Ipokia LGA

Ogu (Egun) people- Ipokia LGA

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by 9jakool: 5:11pm On Jun 23, 2021
illicit:
There are no indigenous igbominas and ileshas in Ekiti

Ekiti is full of Ekiti people, they are homogeneous

However, igbomina and ilesha are closely related to Ekitis

There is actually a few spillover Yagba settlements in northern part of Ikole LGA plus the town of Ayede in Oye LGA is Yagba. it doesn't matter though because everybody is still Yoruba at the end of the day.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by Elliotwaveforec: 5:52pm On Jun 23, 2021
9jakool:

1. Oyo and Ibolo are not the same.

Ibolo group- North Osun state and South Kwara state

Oyo group- East Oyo state, West Osun state, Central Kwara state

2. Yewa is not one group, it's just an umbrella term.

Yewa proper (Old Egbado) people- North Yewa LGA and South Yewa LGA

Ketu people- Imeko Afon LGA and North Yewa LGA

Ohori (Ije) people- Yewa North LGA and Ipokia LGA

Anago (Nago) people- Ipokia LGA

Ogu (Egun) people- Ipokia LGA

You can't differentiate between Oyo and Ibolo; the combination of the two is what every Yoruba understands.

I will add those subgroups you mentioned.
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by Alba3: 8:44pm On Jun 23, 2021
Elliotwaveforec:

You can't differentiate between Oyo and Ibolo; the combination of the two is what every Yoruba understands.

I will add those subgroups you mentioned.
There is a difference between when Ibolo from Ede or Okuku speaks and when Oyo or Ibadan person speaks. The thin line between Ibolo and Oyo is just the same as that of Ijesa and Ekiti.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by BKayy: 9:08pm On Jun 23, 2021
EdoDefence:

We never denied being landlocked, but you dotians keep denying the obvious
You can't deny who you are.
As for my own case, until you conquer my coast (which you haven't done yet) I am not landlocked and will never be

1 Share

Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by 9jakool: 9:35pm On Jun 23, 2021
Alba3:

There is a difference between when Ibolo from Ede or Okuku speaks and when Oyo or Ibadan person speaks. The thin line between Ibolo and Oyo is just the same as that of Ijesa and Ekiti.

Thank you for that! I try to tell him. This is also the same person who didn't know that Ondo and Akure dialects are different .

Even Saki, Igboho and Kisi are not part of Oyo proper.

Elliotwaveforec:

Is Akure different from Ondo Ekimogun? Are their dialects different?

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by EdoDefence: 3:42am On Jun 24, 2021
BKayy:

You can't deny who you are.
As for my own case, until you conquer my coast (which you haven't done yet) I am not landlocked and will never be

Lol, you are indeed delusional.

Keep believing you have a coast, it doesn't change reality grin

It's best you give peace a chance, wether you're landlocked or not doesn't not concern the Benin nation and if the Benin nation is landlocked or not still doesn't concern the Ibo nation. Keep to your boundaries and this useless talk will end

Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by ariesbull: 4:22am On Jun 24, 2021
[quote author=Elliotwaveforec post=102922848][/quote]
Olukumi gas been igbonized...forget them ! Their king go by igbo title and names
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by IduNaOba: 5:05am On Jun 24, 2021
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by IduNaOba: 5:06am On Jun 24, 2021
I am just seeing that yorubas have village's with IGBO in there names.
Igbomina
Igbo olodumare (don't know if I got that right)
Igbokoda

He he he

No wonder they won't leave igbos alone cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

Igbo amaka mma cheesy wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by Alba3: 7:04am On Jun 24, 2021
IduNaOba:
Igbomina
Igbokoda

He he he

Emotional attache by force always!

In Yoruba 'Igbo' means:

Bush, farm or hemp

Headbutt

Group, convergence (variant of Agbo)

It's Igbọkọda, so stop disgracing yourself on this platform.
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by IduNaOba: 12:23am On Jun 25, 2021
Alba3:

Emotional attache by force always!

In Yoruba 'Igbo' means:

Bush, farm or hemp

Headbutt

Group, convergence (variant of Agbo)

It's Igbọkọda, so stop disgracing yourself on this platform.

Ewu ọhịa
Who cares what igbo mean in yoruba?
The facts remain that there are yoruba villages with the igbo affix to their names.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by ib0221: 7:44am On Jun 25, 2021
Gbagura:
They are both Owus in Abeokuta. They are not Egba Owu . Another thing is that their parents are owu (father and mother). Obasanjo is from olumosi while Amosun is from Molaasin both of Owu.
Furthermore, Egba is a sub-Yoruba group like Ow u while Abeokuta is a geographical location.
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by Tinubuadvocate: 7:50am On Jun 25, 2021
Ibariba is not a Yoruba that is only mistake you made .[quote author=Elliotwaveforec post=102922848][/quote]
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by ib0221: 7:57am On Jun 25, 2021
Christistruth00:

Ok Owu in Egbaland, Thank you

Please what of Modakeke some say they are Oyo others Claim they are Owu but most of the Elders have Owu Tribal Marks and yet still Claim an Oyo ancestry
Sorry, not Owu in Egbaland. Though Abeokuta is Egbaland likewise Owuland. Reason being that they all migrated to the place starting from around 18th century and they all brought their crowns to the place. The first Alake in Abeokuta was crowned very few years before new Olowu, I think within 3 years. Also note that it is A lake of Egbaland not A lake of Abeokuta.
On Modakeke, You see we have to agree with whatever they say they are. Modakeke of today are product of war, migration and marriage. You will find Oyo, Ife, Ow u and so on amongst them. What matters is what do they identify with. Another angle is Oyo and Ow u linkage which may be difficult to disentangle except the elders.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by Nobody: 7:59am On Jun 25, 2021
Interesting.

Are Nupe not also kinda Yoruboid?
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by Tinubuadvocate: 7:59am On Jun 25, 2021
Omo iyemi.
ipodstinks:
Akure oloyemekun.
Omo amu Ida sile fogun enu Pani.

Akure ooyeeeeeee
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by ib0221: 8:13am On Jun 25, 2021
Gbagura:
Òwú in Ẹ̀gbá don't think that way. They are in the vanguard of Ẹ̀gbá development. Infact they are more Ẹ̀gbá than the rest of us.
Yes and no. Yes, because some also have mothers from Egba sides, but most importantly brotherhood. The people in Abeokuta see one another as brothers and sisters. No, because if you take time and listen to the owus, you will realize from their language ( the way they relate and interact), dialect( exactly like Oyo) and dispositions are quite different. Though, most Ow us will not complain if they are called Egba, but when you want to misbehave they will tell you that you are doing mistake.
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by AfonjaConehead: 8:14am On Jun 25, 2021
Sub group de la cnhds. grin
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by ib0221: 8:14am On Jun 25, 2021
TripleOh7:
Interesting.

Are Nupe not also kinda Yoruboid?
Yorubaa and Nupe are blood related. If I am not wrong the great Oshodi is Nupe. If some claim to be Yoruba, well and good and if some claim separate identity, so well and good.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by Nobody: 8:24am On Jun 25, 2021
ib0221:
Yorubaa and Nupe are blood related. If I am not wrong the great Oshodi is Nupe. If some claim to be Yoruba, well and good and if some claim separate identity, so well and good.

Absolutely.
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by ib0221: 8:25am On Jun 25, 2021
Gbagura:
Are you Gbagura man?
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by theFilmtric: 8:43am On Jun 25, 2021
IduNaOba:
Igbomina
Igbokoda

He he he

Igbo means "bush" "forest"
grin

Forest amaka

theFilmtricsay
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by ib0221: 8:45am On Jun 25, 2021
On re-examination of the language used here to refer to the Owus, I think it will be proper to put each in right context. I noticed something like: Owu Egba, Owu in egbaland, Egba Ow u. A person born of parenthood of Owu and Egba or joint name for Ow u people and Egba people that have intermarried and somehow similar, but with still distinct features between the two group will not be wrong to be referred to as Egba-Owu or Owu-Egba. Owu in Egba land means a section of egba or connotes Owu sojourning or living as migrant in Egbaland. Egba Ow u would mean a subgroup.
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by theFilmtric: 8:49am On Jun 25, 2021
ib0221:
On re-examination of the language used here to refer to the Owus, I think it will be proper to put each in right context. I noticed something like: Owu Egba, Owu in egbaland, Egba Ow u. A person born of parenthood of Owu and Egba or joint name for Ow u people and Egba people that have intermarried and somehow similar, but with still distinct features between the two group will not be wrong to be referred to as Egba-Owu or Owu-Egba. Owu in Egba land means a section of egba or connotes Owu sojourning or living as migrant in Egbaland. Egba Ow u would mean a subgroup.
I am Egba
Why was the Abeokuta government called "Egba united government"
With the Alake the paramount person?
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by ib0221: 9:28am On Jun 25, 2021
theFilmtric:

I am Egba
Why was the Abeokuta government called "Egba united government"
With the Alake the paramount person?
I can now get the import of your stand. First, I can infer that you are egba gbagura. Second, I can also infer that you can't see reason why owus cannot just be a subgroup of egba like gbagura,Oke-On a, Ake and Ibara. Third, you believed and clamour for paramountiness of Alake over all others kings in Abeokuta( just to be frank).
A short junketure into the history of Abeokuta would have just helped to clarify the fact that Abeokuta was migrated to by all the present kingdoms in Abeokuta starting from 18th century. The Egbas comprising subgroups such as Ake, Gbagura, Ibara, and Oke-Ona came from the thick bush of the forest and earlier together before Owus to Abeokuta. Owus were moving from place close to Ibadan( but part of Ibadan today) originally to Lagos as directed by oracle, but were convinced to stay with Egbas in Abeokuta by Egba War chief to help checkmate the Dahomey. That explains how the Owus are strategically located in Abeokuta.
That is just a name picked by foreigners for recording purpose the way southern part of Nigeria is named Benin coast or so. The issue if paramount ruler ship of A lake over Egbaland also to some extent has historical sides. Actually, Alake might be right to claim paramountship over the egbas kingships, this can only be refuted by other egba groups. What I know and sure of is that he Alake then was chosen to just represent other kings and on getting to the meeting claimed paramountship. He actually tried to absorb other kingships, but for the well-informed and royalty Olowu for rejecting Alake demand for the other kings to relocate to their villages.
Re: Yoruba Subgroups And Where They Are by theFilmtric: 9:35am On Jun 25, 2021
ib0221:

I can now get the import of your stand. First, I can infer that you are egba gbagura. Second, I can also infer that you can't see reason why owus cannot just be a subgroup of egba like gbagura,Oke-On a, Ake and Ibara. Third, you believed and clamour for paramountiness of Alake over all others kings in Abeokuta( just to be frank).
A short junketure into the history of Abeokuta would have just helped to clarify the fact that Abeokuta was migrated to by all the present kingdoms in Abeokuta starting from 18th century. The Egbas comprising subgroups such as Ake, Gbagura, Ibara, and Oke-Ona came from the thick bush of the forest and earlier together before Owus to Abeokuta. Owus were moving from place close to Ibadan( but part of Ibadan today) originally to Lagos as directed by oracle, but were convinced to stay with Egbas in Abeokuta by Egba War chief to help checkmate the Dahomey. That explains how the Owus are strategically located in Abeokuta.
That is just a name picked by foreigners for recording purpose the way southern part of Nigeria is named Benin coast or so. The issue if paramount ruler ship of A lake over Egbaland also to some extent has historical sides. Actually, Alake might be right to claim paramountship over the egbas kingships, this can only be refuted by other egba groups. What I know and sure of is that he Alake then was chosen to just represent other kings and on getting to the meeting claimed paramountship. He actually tried to absorb other kingships, but for the well-informed and royalty Olowu for rejecting Alake demand for the other kings to relocate to their villages.
I am Ake

I understand
You are Owu right?
Why are you misspelling the words "Owu" and "Alake"?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

ESN Repels Fulani Herdsmen In Enugu While Election Was Going On In Anambra State / Plateau Result Really Shock Me (explanations Needed) / Photo Of Former U.S. First Lady And Two Nigerian Great Politicians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.