Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,795,723 members, 6,678,386 topics. Date: Monday, 17 January 2022 at 06:17 AM

OBAFEMI AWOLOWO INTERVIEW: Twenty Pounds Policy And The Igbos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / OBAFEMI AWOLOWO INTERVIEW: Twenty Pounds Policy And The Igbos (151 Views)

OBAFEMI AWOLOWO INTERVIEW: Abandoned Property Of The Igbos / Awolowo Speaks On Twenty Pounds Policy And Starvation During Civil War / Obafemi Awolowo‘s Mercedes-Benz 230.6 In His Ikenne Home (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

OBAFEMI AWOLOWO INTERVIEW: Twenty Pounds Policy And The Igbos by IjapaTiroko: 3:36pm On Jun 23, 2021
This is a continuation of the excerpts/minutes from a Chief Obafemi Awolowo interview on my previous thread.

TWENTY POUNDS POLICY

"That’s what I did, and the case of the money they said was not given back to them, you know during the war all the pounds were looted, they printed Biafran currency notes, which they circulated, at the close of the war some people wanted their Biafran notes to be exchanged for them.
Of course I couldn’t do that, if I did that the whole country would be bankrupt.
We didn’t know about Biafran notes and we didn’t know on what basis they have printed them, so we refused the Biafran note, but I laid down the principle that all those who had savings in the banks on the eve of the declaration of the Biafran war or Biafra, will get their money back if they could satisfy us that they had the savings there, or the money there.
Unfortunately, all the banks’s books had been burnt, and many of the people who had savings there didn’t have their saving books or their last statement of account, so a panel had to be set up.

I didn’t take part in setting up the panel, it was done by the Central bank and the pertinent officials of the ministry of finance, to look into the matter, and they went carefully into the matter, they took some months to do so, and then make some recommendation which I approved. Go to the archives, all I did was approve, I didn’t write anything more than that, I don’t even remember the name of any of them who took part. So I did everything in this world to assist our Ibo brothers and sisters during and after the war.

And anyone who goes back to look at my broadcast in August 1967, which dealt with post-war reconstruction would see what I said there"

What Chief Obáfémi Awólówò said about The Starvation Policy During The Nigerian Civil War
https://www.nairaland.com/6617222/chief-obafemi-awolowo-interview-starvation
Re: OBAFEMI AWOLOWO INTERVIEW: Twenty Pounds Policy And The Igbos by odduduwa: 3:36pm On Jun 23, 2021
Imagine the lying bastard , biafrans worst enemies are the Yorubas and that's why I laugh at nnamdi kanu whenever he says my good friend fani kayode and Ayo adebanjo ...these people are backstabbers and betrayers
Re: OBAFEMI AWOLOWO INTERVIEW: Twenty Pounds Policy And The Igbos by NaijaRoyalty(m): 3:37pm On Jun 23, 2021
Which Awolowo?

The coward that took the easiest cut by commiting suicide undecided
Re: OBAFEMI AWOLOWO INTERVIEW: Twenty Pounds Policy And The Igbos by Millimann: 4:11pm On Jun 23, 2021
A na akogheri.

(1) (Reply)

Photos: WOFBI Graduates Class Of June 2021 With Variety Ceremony / Atiku Group Wants Ex-vp Pdp’s Consensus Presidential Candidate / Even Governemt Websites Have Improved Under Buhari's Administration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2022 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.