Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,298 members, 7,822,484 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:45 AM

Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi (2702 Views)

Anambra May Not Be A True Igbo State: See Reasons / Chibuike Amechi Is My Name, I Am Igbo From Ikwere And Ikwere People Are Igbo. / Lesson For Igbo From The Outcome Of Oyo And Kwara Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by ruggedtimi(m): 1:09pm On Jun 25, 2021
Bialegend:

What's the name of your mother's town in Rivers state?
okrika
Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by Isusugbaghada: 1:47pm On Jun 25, 2021
ThEGodFaThEr103:

Hungry never waya una, by the time hungry waya you and your Okaighele youth leaders nobody will tell you people before selling all your lands. Oba Atópę, Iseeee Mumu.

Did hungry wire you ppo 4 not selling land to stranger

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by ThEGodFaThEr103(m): 1:55pm On Jun 25, 2021
Isusugbaghada:

Did hungry wire you ppo 4 not selling land to stranger

Bloody cultist.

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by jude79(m): 3:15pm On Jun 25, 2021
Okutanla1:
Op, what the guy told you is a common practice in igboland. They generally don't sell land to non-indigenes. Sometimes they implement the policy in subtly ways. They may not say it openly and candidly like the Ebonyi guy was sincere enough to, rather they will frustrate the efforts of the non-indigene to buy and take possession of the land. Some of them may deny it publicly but it is an open secret to many non-indigenes that have lived and interacted long enough with them.

Ignorance stinks to high heaven
Here are the rules
1) You can sell your land to anybody, but it comes with cultural laws and conditions.
a) their are two kinds of land I) commercial or community land ii) ancestral land inherited from your father, uncle or family
b) while community land can be sold to anybody, both indigenes and non indigenes, ancestral land has certain conditions attached to it's sale I) you have to make it known to your immediate family members, which includes your immediate paternal relatives, ie uncle, aunt direct cousins nephews and siblings etc ii) if none of them can afford to buy it, then the umunna, ie father's immediate clan people III) if it's still not sold within a stipulated time then it now open for community members and neighboring community iv) after this anyone who can afford it can buy the land.
Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by Nobody: 3:16pm On Jun 25, 2021
Bialegend:

What liberalism? Did any Igbo force you yorubas to buy lands from you or took over your lands by force?

You'll soon have your Biafra. It would be interesting to see how many of you easterners will be strong enough to carry the lands you bought on your heads back to the east.
Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jun 25, 2021
Ojiofor:

Nobody mumu anything go to Owerri,Enugu,Aba,Umuahia,Awka,Onitsha Abakaliki,Okigwe,Orlu etc...Go to any real estate agent for land nobody gonna ask for your tribe before selling to you.But if you want to buy land in any Igbo village you may encounter some problems like other Igbos.And if you don't have some rights in another village in your state that means you are a stranger there.It is universal not just in Igboland.

If you insist.
Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by Lancevancedance: 4:08pm On Jun 25, 2021
Anyday i come to Nairaland and don't see Igbo threads,I will log off and sleep throughout that day

Them take us do una?
Tufiakwaa,i Think Nigeria would be boring without igbo,maybe that why they hate biafra and still don't want to live with us

1 Like

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by TheSupleemLeada(m): 7:05pm On Jun 25, 2021
xelly:
So the Estate agents selling land are also selective of buyers? Stop spreading falsehood just to make comment.

How did Yorubas own land in the heart of Owerri if what you are saying is anything to go by? A known agent in Owerri, Jide Taiwo is a Yoruba guy. Stop this stupid assumptions that doesn't add up.

I sniff lies.....lies smelling like a dead lizard.
Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by blues234: 8:19pm On Jun 25, 2021
The reason why most of you are dancing naked on this thread is just because of the hate and envy you all have an average Igboman living and doing business in your region. You guys have been forever scheming of how to dispossess them of their lands, they legit bought from your fellows. How pathetic. Every time Igbo this, Igbo that. Na una go tire finish. Bloody tribalist straddling the space called Nigeria.
Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by blues234: 8:22pm On Jun 25, 2021
Lancevancedance:
Anyday i come to Nairaland and don't see Igbo threads,I will log off and sleep throughout that day

Them take us do una?
Tufiakwaa,i Think Nigeria would be boring without igbo,maybe that why they hate biafra and still don't want to live with us
It's amusing seeing them reel out their hate and subconscious fascination with Igbos everyday on nairaland. Let them just continue marketing the great Igbo nation. No shaking.
Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by xelly: 8:43pm On Jun 25, 2021
TheSupleemLeada:

I sniff lies.....lies smelling like a dead lizard.

I am open to providing evidence if you can back your feelings with facts and pay for my time.

I will not present evidence for free, ask for whatever evidence you want to ask, I will provide it here on NL.

Are you ready for the challenge?
Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by DECLAN2015(m): 2:49am On Jun 26, 2021
Brexxit:

Op na so dem they do,that's the more reason we n/deltans won't want to be in same country with them.

Igbos are the Christian version of Fulanis,they love to own properties and dominate other peoples land but won't allow such in their own territory.

Good talk
They even envy fulani position in nigeria
They would have loved to be in their position
Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by ogbuefi677(m): 5:40am On Jun 26, 2021
Isusugbaghada:
A keke driver( Igbo from Ebony I) in my area in Benin, Upper sokponba to be precise came to my compound to buy food from a food seller ( Igbo from Anambra) who rented one of the store from the compound

After eating, he asked of his ebonyi brother that who also rented an apartment there( also a keke driver). The woman told him the guy have not return from his ebonyi village trip since he traveled that he went to do farm work since his father and mother are dead and he is the senior son.

So the other keke guy who came to eat just started by saying " why will a guy like just go to the village to stay that Igbo's don't stay in village" ( I have no business with that )

But what topped it was when he started saying " as he is in ebonyi, he has a land in his village and that his father also have hause but that is for his father not him that if he wanted to make farm he would have use his own land since he cannot sell it"

"SINCE HE CANNOT SELL IT" ( caught my attention )

So I ask him why

He said that they dont sell lands

Then I ask " to stranger or" ?

He said "YES"

He said if an indigene want a land, the community will give a potion to him and not to strangers and that the only people that build house in his community are the indigene that stranger are not allowed to own a land not talk of building on it.

So I ask " what if you try to sell yours what will happen ?

He said " the community will find you guilty and will be dealt with" ( all this he said with total confidence )

So I became angry partially I must say then I told him "but Igbo's are allowed to owned land as they want in benin as long as they fulfill the necessary things?

Then he said " that is Benin but not in his place that all big and small house in his place can only be own by indigene

To be truthful I am surprise

In your own village, can a single individual sell a portion or all of a communal land?
So,non Igbos don't own land in Enugu,Onitsha, Owerri etc?
Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by Abagworo(m): 6:24am On Jun 26, 2021
complexBoss12:
The guy exaggerated certain things, so I will make some corrections.

Not that you can't sell your land, but an average Igbo would rarely sell ancestral lands. infact, it's highly improbable. These lands are not just regarded as properties, it's a heritage, that you are expected to pass on to your children, and them, to their Children. An Igbo will sell land under duress, that's as a last option to solve a problem. But anyone who is found to have a penchant for just selling properties, is regarded as unseriouse in life.

A community can decide that our lands a few, so we are not selling to strangers, but it's not because they are not welcoming strangers or travelers. (Generally, the South East is not known for landmass, like many other regions)

Stop misleading other ethnic groups with lies. The lands in Enugu, Onitsha, Aba and Owerri are they owned by indigenes? The reason why it's difficult to buy land in some places is the price. For example a plot of land along the major road in Ekwulobia goes as high as 100 million Naira so a stranger will likely prefer using the money to buy in Lagos or Abuja instead of Ekwulobia which is rather a semi urban. Places like Aba, Owerri, Onitsha and Enugu where there is vast cheaper land, strangers own at least 80% of real estate.
Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by oyatz(m): 6:38am On Jun 26, 2021
Isusugbaghada:

We shouldn't bring tribalism into this please

But to be sincere this is bad

It's not really bad sir. You don't understand the situation in the said village;

1) The land is not very large.
2) The Community and not individuals own the land.
3) It will be difficult to get the consent of all the co-owners, even if someone wants to sell the land.

4) The practice was most likely instituted to safe guard them from becoming tenants on their own land.
Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by GuyfawkesAB(m): 7:43am On Jun 26, 2021
And they'd rather leave it to keep fallowing and forested while basking in the mere thought that they have lands?

Nobody is asking that they sell all their lands, but considering how small the world has become and how migratory people are today, holding on to 'ancestral' lands while investors are knocking on the door, or while visitors and strangers who wish to settle within you are seeking to buy and build doesn't sound consistent with the ideals of a modern 21st century society. It's parochial and crude.

complexBoss12:
The guy exaggerated certain things, so I will make some corrections.

Not that you can't sell your land, but an average Igbo would rarely sell ancestral lands. infact, it's highly improbable. These lands are not just regarded as properties, it's a heritage, that you are expected to pass on to your children, and them, to their Children. An Igbo will sell land under duress, that's as a last option to solve a problem. But anyone who is found to have a penchant for just selling properties, is regarded as unseriouse in life.

A community can decide that our lands a few, so we are not selling to strangers, but it's not because they are not welcoming strangers or travelers. (Generally, the South East is not known for landmass, like many other regions)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Peter Obi Pricing Tomato By The Road Side (picture) / Video:between Peter Obi And Bola Ahmed Tinubu In Oyo State Street Election Poll / BREAKING: 11 APC Governors, 37 Senators, 15 Reps Working For Atiku

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.