Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,567 members, 7,816,391 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi (2692 Views)

Anambra May Not Be A True Igbo State: See Reasons / Chibuike Amechi Is My Name, I Am Igbo From Ikwere And Ikwere People Are Igbo. / Lesson For Igbo From The Outcome Of Oyo And Kwara Elections (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by Isusugbaghada: 9:32am On Jun 24, 2021
A keke driver( Igbo from Ebony I) in my area in Benin, Upper sokponba to be precise came to my compound to buy food from a food seller ( Igbo from Anambra) who rented one of the store from the compound

After eating, he asked of his ebonyi brother that who also rented an apartment there( also a keke driver). The woman told him the guy have not return from his ebonyi village trip since he traveled that he went to do farm work since his father and mother are dead and he is the senior son.

So the other keke guy who came to eat just started by saying " why will a guy like just go to the village to stay that Igbo's don't stay in village" ( I have no business with that )

But what topped it was when he started saying " as he is in ebonyi, he has a land in his village and that his father also have hause but that is for his father not him that if he wanted to make farm he would have use his own land since he cannot sell it"

"SINCE HE CANNOT SELL IT" ( caught my attention )

So I ask him why

He said that they dont sell lands

Then I ask " to stranger or" ?

He said "YES"

He said if an indigene want a land, the community will give a potion to him and not to strangers and that the only people that build house in his community are the indigene that stranger are not allowed to own a land not talk of building on it.

So I ask " what if you try to sell yours what will happen ?

He said " the community will find you guilty and will be dealt with" ( all this he said with total confidence )

So I became angry partially I must say then I told him "but Igbo's are allowed to owned land as they want in benin as long as they fulfill the necessary things?

Then he said " that is Benin but not in his place that all big and small house in his place can only be own by indigene

To be truthful I am surprise

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by complexBoss12: 9:37am On Jun 24, 2021
The guy exaggerated certain things, so I will make some corrections.

Not that you can't sell your land, but an average Igbo would rarely sell ancestral lands. infact, it's highly improbable. These lands are not just regarded as properties, it's a heritage, that you are expected to pass on to your children, and them, to their Children. An Igbo will sell land under duress, that's as a last option to solve a problem. But anyone who is found to have a penchant for just selling properties, is regarded as unseriouse in life.

A community can decide that our lands a few, so we are not selling to strangers, but it's not because they are not welcoming strangers or travelers. (Generally, the South East is not known for landmass, like many other regions)

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by richmond500: 9:44am On Jun 24, 2021
Reading this thing is giving me headache.

This is the reason why they are not developed because they hate investors.

If America was like this, it won't be this developed, we need to stop this our 1845BC behavior

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by Okutanla1: 9:44am On Jun 24, 2021
Op, what the guy told you is a common practice in igboland. They generally don't sell land to non-indigenes. Sometimes they implement the policy in subtly ways. They may not say it openly and candidly like the Ebonyi guy was sincere enough to, rather they will frustrate the efforts of the non-indigene to buy and take possession of the land. Some of them may deny it publicly but it is an open secret to many non-indigenes that have lived and interacted long enough with them.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by strykr: 9:48am On Jun 24, 2021
Ignorance stinks.
He expressly told you that's a community land. Some communities in Nigeria practice such shared land holding. No individual is allowed to sell any land to avoid unnecessary bickerings and fights. I witnessed such in cross river too. The only way you can get land for lease is to meet the king or leaders of the community, who engage in agreement discussions and decide.

7 Likes

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by strykr: 9:52am On Jun 24, 2021
Okutanla1:
Op, what the guy told you is a common practice in igboland. They generally don't sell land to non-indigenes. Sometimes they implement the policy in subtly ways. They may not say it openly and candidly like the Ebonyi guy was sincere enough to, rather they will frustrate the efforts of the non-indigene to buy and take possession of the land. Some of them may deny it publicly but it is an open secret to many non-indigenes that have lived and interacted long enough with them.

You didn't approach the right people then. Same way families usually own land in the west, is the way communities own land in the east. Individuals don't have the right to sell land in every community. There are some places in Igboland where it's allowed and there are places it's not.

1 Like

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by Brexxit(m): 9:53am On Jun 24, 2021
Op na so dem they do,that's the more reason we n/deltans won't want to be in same country with them.

Igbos are the Christian version of Fulanis,they love to own properties and dominate other peoples land but won't allow such in their own territory.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by Isusugbaghada: 10:01am On Jun 24, 2021
complexBoss12:
The guy exaggerated certain things, so I will make some corrections.

Not that you can't sell your land, but an average Igbo would rarely sell ancestral lands. infact, it's highly improbable. These lands are not just regarded as properties, it's a heritage that you are expected to pass own to your children and them to their Children. An Igbo will sell land under duress, that's as a last option to solve a problem. But anyone who is found to have a penchant for just sell
ing properties is regarded as unseriouse in life.

A community can decide that our lands a few, so we are not selling to strangers, but it's not because they are not welcoming strangers or travelers. (Generally, the South East is known for landmass like many other regions)

My brother I understand what you are saying

But he is saying it is a form of law in his place that hause are only built by indigene that stranger are not given lands by the community

We are not talking of ancestral land here

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by OBALOLA55(m): 10:03am On Jun 24, 2021
Isusugbaghada:
A keke driver( Igbo from Ebony I) in my area in Benin, Upper sokponba to be precise came to my compound to buy food from a food seller ( Igbo from Anambra) who rented one of the store from the compound

After eating, he asked of his ebonyi brother that who also rented an apartment there( also a keke driver). The woman told him the guy have not return from his ebonyi village trip since he traveled that he went to do farm work since his father and mother are dead and he is the senior son.

So the other keke guy who came to eat just started by saying " why will a guy like just go to the village to stay that Igbo's don't stay in village" ( I have no business with that )

But what topped it was when he started saying " as he is in ebonyi, he has a land in his village and that his father also have hause but that is for his father not him that if he wanted to make farm he would have use his own land since he cannot sell it"

So I ask him why

He said "YES"

He said if an indigene want a land, the community will give a potion to him and not to strangers and that the only people that build house in his community are the indigene that stranger are not allowed to own a land not talk of building on it.

He said " the community will find you guilty and will be dealt with" ( all this he said with total confidence )

So I became angry partially I must say then I told him "but Igbo's are allowed to owned land as they want in benin as long as they fulfill the necessary things?

Then he said " that is Benin but not in his place that all big and small house in his place can only be own by indigene

HEAD DEY PAIN YOU BRUH sad

IBADAN IS BIGGER THAN ALL THE SOUTH EAST COMBINED TOGETHER

NIGER STATE IS BIGGER THAN THE WHOLE SOUTH EAST

EVEN WAR RAVAGED BORNO STATE IS NOT LEFT OUT.

SO HOW DO YOU EXPECT OVER 40 MILLION DOTIANS TO SELL THEIR LAND

DOES THAT MAKE SENSE TO YOU

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by Isusugbaghada: 10:05am On Jun 24, 2021
Okutanla1:

Have you been victim b4 ?

I am still in shock

I dont want to say what the woman selling food said after the guy have left

If this is true then I am again surprise

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by OBALOLA55(m): 10:06am On Jun 24, 2021
Isusugbaghada:

But he is saying it is a form of law in his place that hause are only built by indigene that stranger are not given lands by the community

APART FROM ANCESTORIAL LAND, WHICH OTHER LAND DO YOU WANT THE DOT IN THE CIRCLE LANDLOCKED SOUTH EAST TO SELL. IM WAITING FOR YOU TO LAND BORORO

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by OBALOLA55(m): 10:09am On Jun 24, 2021
MORAL LESSON: YOU CANNOT GIVE OR SELL WHAT YOU DON’T HAVE

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by Isusugbaghada: 10:10am On Jun 24, 2021
OBALOLA55:
HEAD DEY PAIN YOU BRUH sad

IBADAN IS BIGGER THAN ALL THE SOUTH EAST COMBINED TOGETHER

NIGER STATE IS BIGGER THAN THE WHOLE SOUTH EAST

EVEN WAR RAVAGED BORNO STATE IS NOT LEFT OUT.

SO HOW DO YOU EXPECT OVER 40 MILLION DOTIANS TO SELL THEIR LAND

DOES THAT MAKE SENSE TO YOU

We shouldn't bring tribalism into this please

But to be sincere this is bad

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by Isusugbaghada: 10:12am On Jun 24, 2021
OBALOLA55:
APART FROM ANCESTORIAL LAND, WHICH OTHER LAND DO YOU WANT THE DOT IN THE CIRCLE LANDLOCKED SOUTH EAST TO SELL. IM WAITING FOR YOU TO LAND BORORO

Hmm

But are there no ebonyins in the house

1 Like

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by Isusugbaghada: 10:13am On Jun 24, 2021
OBALOLA55:
MORAL LESSON: YOU CANNOT GIVE OR SELL WHAT YOU DON’T HAVE

Are you saying Igbo's dont have land

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by complexBoss12: 10:15am On Jun 24, 2021
Isusugbaghada:

That's why I said he exaggerated. My last paragraph I talked about landmass, a community can decide that they don't have enough, so no sells to strangers, whether ancestral or not.
Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by Isusugbaghada: 10:16am On Jun 24, 2021
complexBoss12:

That's why I said he exaggerated. My last paragraph I talked about landmass, a community can decide that they don't have enough, so no sells to strangers, whether ancestral or not.

Wow

1 Like

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by OBALOLA55(m): 10:17am On Jun 24, 2021
Isusugbaghada:

Are you saying Igbo's dont have land
EGGXACTLY!
Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by Isusugbaghada: 10:19am On Jun 24, 2021
OBALOLA55:
EGGXACTLY!

I think igbos wouldn't like this

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by OBALOLA55(m): 10:19am On Jun 24, 2021
Isusugbaghada:

Hmm

But are there no ebonyins in the house
ONCE YOU SEE ME, YOU HAVE SEEN EBONY, ENUGU, ANAMBRA, ABIA AND IMO MAN.

WE SPEAK IN ONE VOICE
Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by OBALOLA55(m): 10:21am On Jun 24, 2021
Isusugbaghada:

I think igbos wouldn't like this
DOTIANS NOR GET LAND REACH UNA WET BE NORTHERNERS, HAUSAS WEY UNA CONQUER GET LAND WEY UNA GO FIG USE DO RUGA
Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by ruggedtimi(m): 10:45am On Jun 24, 2021
My mother's town in rivers state don't sell land to strangers.

1 Like

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by sweetshisha: 10:47am On Jun 24, 2021
A friend who is an agricultural consultant told me this

He was handling a rice farming project, and to get land was tug of war, the widow who leased him some land was bullied

I used to think all this only happens on Africa magic
Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by Jinducleaner(f): 10:56am On Jun 24, 2021
It is true, they don't sell lands to Strangers in some communities.
Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by HillaryNelo(m): 11:25am On Jun 24, 2021
richmond500:
Reading this thing is giving me headache.

This is the reason why they are not developed because they hate investors.

If America was like this, it won't be this developed, we need to stop this our 1845BC behavior
How many of your lands have you sold this year americana
Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by Penguin2: 11:38am On Jun 24, 2021
Isusugbaghada:

So I ask him why

He said "YES"

The guy is from Ngbo in Ebonyi state.

They are the only people that do that rubbish in Ebonyi if not in entire Igboland.

Don’t use what he said to judge the rest of Ndigbo.

1 Like

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by Penguin2: 11:41am On Jun 24, 2021
Jinducleaner:
It is true, they don't sell lands to Strangers in some communities.

Not some communities...

I only know of Ngbo people in Ebonyi state.

Ezza, Izzi, Ikwo, Afikpo, Ishiagu, are not like that.

1 Like

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by Almaigaa: 11:56am On Jun 24, 2021
Isusugbaghada:

So I ask him why

He said "YES"

The truth is, the EAST is very tiny. They are aware of this facts that's why they decided not to sell their lands to none indigene. The entire land in the EAST can not accommodate all IGBOS. That's why they are mostly based outside the East.

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by blues234: 1:06pm On Jun 24, 2021
Isusugbaghada:

So I ask him why

He said "YES"

You can sell lands, but not family land. In fact, if you want to buy land, to come to my village, land boku. Deeper Life was given free land to build a university in my community, they are yet to start developing it. I'm from Ebonyi.

3 Likes

Re: Is This True Igbo's From Ebonyi by blues234: 1:09pm On Jun 24, 2021
Brexxit:

Op na so dem they do,that's the more reason we n/deltans won't want to be in same country with them.

Igbos are the Christian version of Fulanis,they love to own properties and dominate other peoples land but won't allow such in their own territory.
Nna shut up! nobody is talking about Niger Delta here. You guys are so full of yourself that you make too much noise. Remove the Igbo speaking part of Niger Delta, and you will only be left with swamps and creeks.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Unknown gunmen are doing our job IPOB finally opens up PHOTOS / A New Militant Group, ‘biafran Motherland Warrior’, Has Emerged In The Imo State / Millions Of Naira Taking To Bandits In Kaduna Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.