Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,585 members, 7,812,911 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:11 PM

Nicholas Idoko: My Experience As A Freelance Software Developer | Part 3 - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Nicholas Idoko: My Experience As A Freelance Software Developer | Part 3 (232 Views)

Nicholas Idoko: My Experience As A Freelance Software Developer | Part 2 / Nicholas Idoko: My Experience As A Freelance Software Developer | Part 1 / My Way Of Getting 120k Daily Page Views Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nicholas Idoko: My Experience As A Freelance Software Developer | Part 3 by ultimatex(m): 9:47am On Jun 24, 2021
Hello Friends,
It has been a very very long time since I continued my series. A lot has happened and it is practically been 1 full year. I lost track of time gradually and I was so busy with stuff and kind of forgot. This morning someone from Nairaland contacted me and insisted I finish my story and here I am today.

If you have not followed my series prior. You can read up to part 1 and part 2 by clicking on the links below before jumping ahead to this part.

Part 1: https://www.nairaland.com/5938926/nicholas-idoko-experience-freelance-software
Part 2: https://www.nairaland.com/5947421/nicholas-idoko-experience-freelance-software

I stopped at my horrifying Introduction to Objects and Classes.

I very much remember that day to this very day. I came in fresh to the library hoping to crush the chapter for the day like I always do but to my surprise. I was beaten down so badly I simply left. I was so confused about how Objects and Classes worked. Sometimes, I recall back to that moment and think maybe it was the instructor's fault. smiley The next day, I was so tempted to skip that chapter and move on, but the good part of me said I should try and look at it one more time. I spent the whole day trying to look at it but still nothing. I just could not grasp the total concept at the time for whatever reason.

At this point, I was making noise up and down that I am a developer and I can develop apps for people. I remember back then, whenever I tell my family and friends that I can now develop applications they all looked at me as a GENIUS and my head would just swell like crazy until they ask me where they can see what I have developed.

All my work was still on NetBeans, all written in Java and I did not even know anything about hosting at the time, so when they ask what I have developed I would start looking for my laptop to open up NetBeans and run my code.

I could not cross over Objects and Classes and as a result, I felt stuck so I decided to just take a break from coding for a while. In fact, all the chapters after Objects and Classes were all looking strange to me including databases and JSP. I started questioning if I am capable of really doing this to the end. I started feeling discouraged. All my friends were having fun, going to parties and I was busy coding.

One day, I decided to go and visit Tiger (Bright), if you have read the past series. You know who Tiger is by now. I went to Tiger's family house to play games and relax. I got there and we played the game for a while. Had a few conversations about life, women, sports, the world in general. It was mad fun. On getting home by the evening time, I was pretty exhausted and everyone in my family saw me as the maths guy. My younger sister came to me for me to teach her how to solve quadratic equations.

I was so exhausted I told her I can't tonight and she got really pissed. She said she would be submitting her assignment tomorrow and she does not understand anything on quadratic equations. I replied angrily "You should have listened in class." She replied almost crying "I listened but I could not understand anything she (the teacher) was saying. I am not the only one even my friends in school do not understand what the teacher was saying". I then really wanted to help her but I was so tired. I calmed her down and told her we would wake up early and do it before you go back to school. I went to my bed and slept off like a log of wood.

You know sometimes when people say they dream of ideas. I am a living manifestation of such. I was literally sleeping and dreaming and I got the thought, what if I just program an app that could solve any quadratic equation at all and show the steps in a tutorial kind of way. The app would provide a step-by-step solution and teach the user how it works from the beginning to the end. I woke up immediately. This was around 3 AM in morning. I rushed to my laptop and started coding. I tested and tested and finally by morning time, it was working exactly the way I wanted. The app requested the parameters, solved the calculation, and showed the steps one by one with explanations without jumping over anything.

When my younger sister woke up the following morning. I launched the app and showed it to her to use while I kept my mouth shut and watched her use it. She understood how to enter the parameters. She followed the step-by-step instructions for the answer as she was seeing the quadratic equation being solved in real-time and she understood every single thing without me saying a WORD!

BOOM! My head was swollen so big that morning. I was so happy. At this time, I have never developed anything that has helped anyone directly and this was the first time for me. There was so much joy in me. I felt unstoppable. I did not even eat breakfast at all that day. I wish there was a way I could express the joy I felt. My younger sister did the assignment and really understand how to solve quadratic equations on her own without my help but with my app.

I felt I deserve a reward so I went to Tiger's house that afternoon to go and play the soccer video game. I could vividly remember we were playing Chelsea vs Arsenal. Tiger is an Arsenal fan and I am a Chelsea fan. I was beating Tiger this time 2 - 0. As we were playing the game. I told Tiger what happened, how I was able to develop an app that could solve any quadratic equation at all and show the steps, and how my younger sister used it and she understood quadratic equations just by using the app.

Immediately, Tiger turned off the game and went completely BERSERK!!!

I have written so much today and I hope this was not boring for you to read. I would continue the series some other time if the interest is still there from you guys. Please let me know if you are interested and also feel free to share your thoughts below.

Cheers!
Re: Nicholas Idoko: My Experience As A Freelance Software Developer | Part 3 by service44: 10:01am On Jun 24, 2021
Dont stop, we are following.

1 Like

Re: Nicholas Idoko: My Experience As A Freelance Software Developer | Part 3 by Ejike07: 10:23am On Jun 24, 2021
the kind of story one needs for encouragement and deep motivation. But ups man

1 Like

Re: Nicholas Idoko: My Experience As A Freelance Software Developer | Part 3 by ultimatex(m): 5:01pm On Jun 24, 2021
service44:
Dont stop, we are following.

No Problem
Re: Nicholas Idoko: My Experience As A Freelance Software Developer | Part 3 by ultimatex(m): 5:01pm On Jun 24, 2021
Ejike07:
the kind of story one needs for encouragement and deep motivation. But ups man

Thank you very much

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

I'm Grateful For Building Things That Change Lives - Mark Zuckerberg Reveals / Bulk Sms Software / Inbox Equalizer Reloaded Review: Write The Perfect Email, Scale Your Sales

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.