Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,413 members, 7,819,481 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:01 PM

This Was Lagos In 1963. Everybody Get Sense. - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / This Was Lagos In 1963. Everybody Get Sense. (44147 Views)

Lagos In 1960 / The Manual “traffic Light” That Was Used In Lagos In The 1940s (PHOTOS) / View Of Carter Bridge Lagos In 1963 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Was Lagos In 1963. Everybody Get Sense. by budaatum: 10:58am On Jun 26, 2021
Monzuur:
Ifon Orolu... That is my hometown.... Janta is our street ☺

Ẹyin ọmọ Janta! Basorun ki ọ.
Re: This Was Lagos In 1963. Everybody Get Sense. by IranianSea: 11:03am On Jun 26, 2021
budaatum:

In a swampy area of Ketu, ₦1000 in '80.

Ma bought and her children laboured to build.
Thanks. Let assume one is available for sell now, how much do you think could be the cost? I will ask further question after this. I'm just trying to figure out something. Thanks
Re: This Was Lagos In 1963. Everybody Get Sense. by budaatum: 11:15am On Jun 26, 2021
IranianSea:

Thanks. Let assume one is available for sell now, how much do you think could be the cost? I will ask further question after this. I'm just trying to figure out something. Thanks

I don't know how much land sells in Ketu now, I'm afraid. I'd expect a few millions though.

Bus from Ketu to Palm Grove was 10kobo in the early 80s, and John Player was 2 for 5kobo. Geisha, I think, was 20kobo, and a box of Uncle Bens was 30kobo. To give you an idea of inflation since then.
Re: This Was Lagos In 1963. Everybody Get Sense. by IranianSea: 11:21am On Jun 26, 2021
budaatum:

I don't know how much land sells in Ketu now, I'm afraid. I'd expect a few millions though.

Bus from Ketu to Palm Grove was 10kobo in the early 80s, and John Player was 2 for 5kobo. Geisha, I think, was 20kobo, and a box of Uncle Bens was 30kobo. To give you an idea of inflation since then.
Thanks. What I'm trying to find out is. A plot of land worth 2m as at today. Can it ever be sold for 100m let say in the next 30 years
Re: This Was Lagos In 1963. Everybody Get Sense. by Gilbus1(m): 11:34am On Jun 26, 2021
Lagos has always been overpopulated.
Re: This Was Lagos In 1963. Everybody Get Sense. by budaatum: 11:56am On Jun 26, 2021
IranianSea:

Thanks. What I'm trying to find out is. A plot of land worth 2m as at today. Can it ever be sold for 100m let say in the next 30 years

Yes, it can be 100m, if not in 30 years, in a hundred years perhaps, or even in 10 years time. Nigeria's population is growing at a phenomenal rate so we are bound to run out of land sometime soon.

People tend to not realise that we suffer a poverty of land area, which is why we are fighting each other so much. For perspective, Texas land area is 695,662 km² with population of 29m, while Nigeria land area is 923,768 km² with 201m people. Work out people per km² and you'd see how land poor we are, compared. Its like a third more land and like 7 times more people!

Ketu was no man's land in the 80s and bush in the 70s, but go there now and people have taken over everywhere. I remember when Isolo ended at Oke Afa, but now there's Ikotun and a road to LASU! In my days, it was Mile 2 or stay home.

2 Likes

Re: This Was Lagos In 1963. Everybody Get Sense. by slimkhan(m): 12:04pm On Jun 26, 2021
Leaders stopped caring nd started lotting.
Re: This Was Lagos In 1963. Everybody Get Sense. by sultry69(m): 1:27pm On Jun 26, 2021
Monzuur:
Ifon Orolu... That is my hometown.... Janta is our street ☺

Good day, omolumi,akere oko dele o.
Re: This Was Lagos In 1963. Everybody Get Sense. by IranianSea: 4:17pm On Jun 26, 2021
budaatum:

Yes, it can be 100m, if not in 30 years, in a hundred years perhaps, or even in 10 years time. Nigeria's population is growing at a phenomenal rate so we are bound to run out of land sometime soon.

People tend to not realise that we suffer a poverty of land area, which is why we are fighting each other so much. For perspective, Texas land area is 695,662 km² with population of 29m, while Nigeria land area is 923,768 km² with 201m people. Work out people per km² and you'd see how land poor we are, compared. Its like a third more land and like 7 times more people!

Ketu was no man's land in the 80s and bush in the 70s, but go there now and people have taken over everywhere. I remember when Isolo ended at Oke Afa, but now there's Ikotun and a road to LASU! In my days, it was Mile 2 or stay home.
Wow. Thanks so much I got your points, really work like an advise for me. Thanks sir

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Was Lagos In 1963. Everybody Get Sense. by justjify(m): 4:22pm On Jun 26, 2021
Enoch07:
I see
I saw
Re: This Was Lagos In 1963. Everybody Get Sense. by airminem(f): 9:25pm On Jun 26, 2021
budaatum:
By '73, Ikorodu Road was the only route out. We'd leave home like 5am and not be out of Lagos by noon.

I am of course exaggerating small, but we always arrived in my Orolu Kingdom of Ifon Osun well past 10pm. And no, we were not walking!

Ikorodu Road right through Lagos was a blessing and a wonderful playground while being built. And Lagos Ibadan Expressway made me my first what seemed like a million naira at the time. I sold 4 eggs for ₦1 and 50 kobo canned Coke at the tollgate, and damn the pain when kombi bus stopped on my foot.
cheesy More blessings fall on YOU..smiley

1 Like

Re: This Was Lagos In 1963. Everybody Get Sense. by budaatum: 12:09am On Jun 27, 2021
airminem:
cheesy More blessings fall on YOU..smiley
100 times my blessing fall on YOU.
Re: This Was Lagos In 1963. Everybody Get Sense. by airminem(f): 8:31am On Jun 27, 2021
budaatum:
100 times my blessing fall on YOU.
Ameen Ameen

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Was Lagos In 1963. Everybody Get Sense. by AlphaTaikun: 12:50pm On Apr 05, 2022
chatinent:
This was Lagos in 1963:

What changed?

Source: https://www.nopremiumtears.com.ng/2021/06/this-is-lagos-before-1964-everybody-get.html?m=1
Lagos Island traffic flow... Frozen in time and space since 1963.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Was Lagos In 1963. Everybody Get Sense. by AlphaTaikun: 2:43pm On Apr 05, 2022
budaatum:
By '73, Ikorodu Road was the only route out. We'd leave home like 5am and not be out of Lagos by noon.

I am of course exaggerating small, but we always arrived in my Orolu Kingdom of Ifon Osun well past 10pm. And no, we were not walking!

Ikorodu Road right through Lagos was a blessing and a wonderful playground while being built. And Lagos Ibadan Expressway made me my first what seemed like a million naira at the time. I sold 4 eggs for ₦1 and 50 kobo canned Coke at the tollgate, and damn the pain when kombi bus stopped on my foot.
Nostalgic... It made some brands from that era such as Kingsway Stores and DRUM Magazine, etc, flash through my mind. smiley

You obviously were born in the
60s for you to have a recall of
the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (constructed in the late 1970s) N1 eggs, 50 kobo canned Coke, and the VW Kombi bus experience. A
true Warrior like you keeps trucking regardless of the headwinds. Lol.

I guess you must have taken a Bolekaja from Lagos to Orolu back then via Ikorodu Road in 1973?

Last but not least, are the folks of Ifon in Osun in anyway related to the Ifon people in Ondo State?

Enjoy your day.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Was Lagos In 1963. Everybody Get Sense. by budaatum: 4:51pm On Apr 05, 2022
AlphaTaikun:

Nostalgic... It made some brands from that era such as Kingsway Stores and DRUM Magazine, etc, flash through my mind. smiley

You obviously were born in the
60s for you to have a recall of
the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway (constructed in the late 1970s) N1 eggs, 50 kobo canned Coke, and the VW Kombi bus experience. A
true Warrior like you keeps trucking regardless of the headwinds. Lol.

I guess you must have taken a Bolekaja from Lagos to Orolu back then via Ikorodu Road in 1973?

Last but not least, are the folks of Ifon in Osun in anyway related to the Ifon people in Ondo State?

Enjoy your day.

My elders wrote about it. Here's a PDF.

https://www.ijtra.com/special-issue-view.php/an-exemplary-leadership-the-ifon-orolu-and-ifon-omima-conflict-resolution-process-in-south-west-nigeria.pdf?paper=an-exemplary-leadership-the-ifon-orolu-and-ifon-omima-conflict-resolution-process-in-south-west-nigeria.pdf

1 Like 1 Share

Re: This Was Lagos In 1963. Everybody Get Sense. by AlphaTaikun: 5:17pm On Apr 12, 2022

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: This Was Lagos In 1963. Everybody Get Sense. by BreacherX(f): 2:24am On Jun 30, 2022
It was a pride to own a bicycle then....now someone cannot even ride bicycle on 3rd mainland bridge in peace.
Re: This Was Lagos In 1963. Everybody Get Sense. by Alpharey: 6:38am On Sep 03, 2022
SmartPolician:
Only God knows where all these cars are now.

Even those people. We are all passing by

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

JAPA: 10 Groups Of People Who Should Leave Nigeria Immediately / Ambode Solving Lagos Traffic Problems With Common Sense (PHOTOS) / My Heavy Traffic Experience In Onitsha Today (Photos )

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.