Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,231 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:13 AM

Who Said The Igbo Hate Tinubu? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Said The Igbo Hate Tinubu? (582 Views)

Why Do People Hate Tinubu And This Guy? (pics) / If You Hate Tinubu, You Hate Yoruba People / Why Do Igbos Hate Tinubu So Much? Can Someone Explain. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Said The Igbo Hate Tinubu? by gbemishile: 11:47am On Jun 29, 2021
THERE is a popular notion that the Igbo people, collectively, hold some sort of grudge against the National Leader of the All Progressives Congress, APC, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu. This conception is almost laughable because it shows a contempt for the intellectual capacity of the average Igbo and a lack of awareness of our cultural values.

We are a people of rich heritage belonging to an ancient history. Self-sufficiency has been at the core of our cultural philosophy and traditional upbringing.

We are not the type to look to outsiders for solutions to our problems, neither are we quick to pass blame to others for our problems; certainly not to persons who have never been responsible for any overt act of marginalisation towards our people.

Why, therefore, would any Igbo person hate Bola Tinubu in Lagos? Sure, one can make an argument for the Igbo being indifferent towards his person.

However, even at that, the man is an entrepreneur and, of course, a powerful politician – characteristics that are far more likely to elicit feelings of admiration rather than contempt from the average Igbo man. But to call him a bigot, a tribalist? I am yet to see the evidence.

In fact, if anything, the evidence of his political career suggests a man who favours competence over tribal or religious considerations.

The Igbo prize industriousness and enthrone accomplishment. In the days of yore, before colonisation, Igbo men and women could only earn titles after displaying great feats of personal achievement. A master hunter, for example, known as a “Dinta” would not be called Ogbuagu (Leopard killer) until he defeats a Leopard and wears the skin or teeth to prove it. This is the kind of people the Igbo are.
So, considering Tinubu’s achievements in the game of power, the Igbo will not say that a champion wrestler must be without dirt on his entire body to be deserving of his due. After all, Lagos State where Tinubu is assumed to hold the most sway, remains the choice destination for successful Igbo to migrate.

Indeed, one wonders, given the enduring popularity of the state Tinubu helped build among the Igbo people, whether this narrative of supposed Igbo hatred of Lagos’ pre-eminent political figure is just more propaganda, intended only to sow confusion and distrust.
Sure, the Yoruba and Igbo have had their issues in the past but for how long would we continue to inherit our parents’ trauma in a globalising world? A lot of us are very comfortable living as Igbo in Lagos where the mindset is modern and metropolitan. From a tribal angle, the Igbo still remain apprehensive about Northern rule but I have never met an Igbo person that imagines the threat of Yoruba insurgency is real; or even ascribes to the Yoruba a collective disposition towards domination.

The truth being obscured by the propaganda is this: the Igbo and the Yoruba have much in common; whether in terms of their pre-colonial history or their shared experiences under British colonial rule.

Even in contemporary times,Yoruba and Igbo alike well understand the daily struggles of the ordinary Nigerian man or woman, in respect of which tribal affiliation makes little practical difference.

One only has to take a brief look through time to see the kind of relationship we have enjoyed as groups. From shared linguistic similarities, to governance systems such as the role of the “Oba”, the Igbo and Yoruba, though not without some differences, have generally been cordial and open to cultural exchange.

There are, of course, those who, nevertheless, would stoke the flames of a supposed historical rivalry between the two tribal groups. For these people, Tinubu is a convenient Satan, playing the role of villain in their discordant narrative.

Some are spineless paid trolls and others closet bigots that simply need an outlet for their bilious invective, lest it consume them from within. However, these folk are outliers, the exceptions, worthy of consideration only to the extent that their noisy extremism helpfully distinguishes them from the far less rowdy, far more thoughtful, majority.

What the Igbo want, simply, is a government that provides just enough basic support to spur the exercise of our creative, entrepreneurial and intellectual spirit.

We do not blame anyone besides our own regional governments – state and local – for our regional issues. When we are in the West, we respect the traditions and demand only that we are recognised as fellow Nigerians and are not marginalised politically.

Last I checked, we are still opening businesses, holding political offices and purchasing land in ‘Tinubu’s Lagos’ – as we have been doing peacefully since 1999.

It is time those peddling the anti-Tinubu narrative faced the facts: neither Tinubu nor his political machine have held the Igbo back in Lagos.

Indeed, since he became Governor in 1999, Lagos has been on an upward cultural, social and economic trajectory the likes of which has not been experienced anywhere else in this country. Any Igbo man who takes issue with that kind of progress is, as we say here, on his own.
Re: Who Said The Igbo Hate Tinubu? by lathrowinger: 11:49am On Jun 29, 2021
Well, I would say your are different anyway. But am sure you are aware that 70% of igbo's don't like him.

Then I keep asking, Why

Coz no day that I won't see a post or comments from our brothers from the other side against him...

Both online and offline

Despite we are not from the same region...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Said The Igbo Hate Tinubu? by donbachi(m): 11:52am On Jun 29, 2021
No tribe likes other tribes in Nigeria.united only when It has to do with sharing Looted public funds.
Re: Who Said The Igbo Hate Tinubu? by DefHQ: 11:53am On Jun 29, 2021
Joe igbokwe do not speak for all Igbo.. Pls take note
Re: Who Said The Igbo Hate Tinubu? by Guestlander: 11:53am On Jun 29, 2021
We know in reality that some Ibos, especially those on Nairaland are more concerned about Tinubu than all the governors in Iboland combined.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Said The Igbo Hate Tinubu? by ScamHunter: 11:55am On Jun 29, 2021
Igbo no dey support looters...
Re: Who Said The Igbo Hate Tinubu? by Supan(m): 12:16pm On Jun 29, 2021
We know it's the grand plan of the Fulani terrorists to cause so much bad blood between these two tribes.

Anyhow they try, they keep failing.
Re: Who Said The Igbo Hate Tinubu? by trutharena: 12:24pm On Jun 29, 2021
Igbo have always hated anyone seen as Yoruba leader.

Hated Awolowo.
Hated Abiola.
Hating Tinubu.

They will only love all those that the Yorubas don’t rate. People like Obasanjo, Fayose, and etc.

So it shouldn’t be a surprise that they hated him. Soon the hate will be projected on Osinbajo too if he’s rallied behind by the Yorubas and the cycle continues.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Who Said The Igbo Hate Tinubu? by IJOBA11: 12:24pm On Jun 29, 2021
I DON’T RECOGNIZE HIM AS TINUBU

IF YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT LAMIDI AMOUDA SANGODELE FROM IRAGBIJI, THEN I BELIEVE THAT HE SHOULD BE SERVING HIS TIME NOW WITH THIEF ORJI UZOR KALU IN KUJE MAXIMUM PRISON angry
Re: Who Said The Igbo Hate Tinubu? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Jun 29, 2021
lathrowinger:
Well, I would say your are different anyway. But am sure you are aware that 70% of igbo's don't like him.

Then I keep asking, Why

Coz no day that I won't see a post or comments from our brothers from the other side against him...

Both online and offline

Despite we are not from the same region...

Let's not make the mistake of thinking igbo's against Tinubu is a tribal something- No.
Just like 2015/2019 most believe Tinubu is a corrupt dual faced entity. He is better than orji kalu and Rochas though, but the West do better in bringing out someone that is capable of carrying the whole nation along.
Can Nigeria survive another 8 years of inept leadership ?? only God knows
Re: Who Said The Igbo Hate Tinubu? by IJOBA11: 12:25pm On Jun 29, 2021
ScamHunter:
Igbo no dey support looters...
PERIODT
Re: Who Said The Igbo Hate Tinubu? by Supan(m): 12:28pm On Jun 29, 2021
lathrowinger:
But am sure you are aware that 70% of igbo's don't like him.

Then I keep asking, Why??

Where did u get that stat?

You only read and see what the Fulani planners and social engineers want you to.

His major opponents are still in SW... Bode George and co.

Previously, OBJ and Tinubu were arch enemies.

It was the hatred OBJ had for Tinubu and added to the oppression he suffered under SW PDP that pushed him to surrendering his little western colony to merciless Buhari.

I don't blame him much anyway.
Re: Who Said The Igbo Hate Tinubu? by theFilmtric: 12:31pm On Jun 29, 2021
eduj:

Let's not make the mistake of thinking igbo's against Tinubu is a tribal something- No.
Just like 2015/2019 most believe Tinubu is a corrupt dual faced entity. He is better than orji kalu and Rochas though, but the West do better in bringing out someone that is capable of carrying the whole nation along.
Can Nigeria survive another 8 years of inept leadership ?? only God knows
Are your Igbo governors saints? grin

It's tribal and we know

The amount of threads and topics that igbos have opened on tinubu is 100 times more than what igbos have opened on all corrupt SE leaders combined

It makes one wonder if tinubu was the governor of the eastern region grin
Re: Who Said The Igbo Hate Tinubu? by mekaboy(m): 12:33pm On Jun 29, 2021
The sooner you separate IPOB from igbos. The better. I dont have problem with tinubu as a person. I only have problem with past governors.

However, why will igbos have problem with Tinubu? Did he govern any state in igboland?

Let yorubas handle their own issues. Those insighting hatred for Tinubu, wine and dine with orji uzo kalu.
Re: Who Said The Igbo Hate Tinubu? by Jimasun: 12:33pm On Jun 29, 2021
theFilmtric:

It's tribal and we know

The amount of threads and topics that igbos have opened on tinubu is 100 times more than what igbos have opened on all corrupt SE leaders combined

You have said nothing but the truth
Re: Who Said The Igbo Hate Tinubu? by theFilmtric: 12:39pm On Jun 29, 2021
Jimasun:

You have said nothing but the truth
They think we dumb
The number of threads opened on tinubu only this week is mind-blowing

One would think tinubu is the only politician in Nigeria grin
Re: Who Said The Igbo Hate Tinubu? by Supan(m): 12:50pm On Jun 29, 2021
trutharena:
Igbo have always hated anyone seen as Yoruba leader.

Hated Awolowo.
Hated Abiola.
Hating Tinubu.

They will only love all those that the Yorubas don’t rate. People like Obasanjo, Fayose, and etc.

It's this kind of lies and fear that keeps Tinubu and his machineries from correcting their mistakes of 2015 & 2019.

The indifference felt towards him is not different from Fr Mbaka, Ngige, Okoroawusa, Hopeless Ozodigmba etc all SE politicians which helped this terrorist to power.

Tinubu should stop running from his shadow. Igbo's don't hate him.

It's his guilty conscience that is flogging him.
Re: Who Said The Igbo Hate Tinubu? by Monogamy: 12:51pm On Jun 29, 2021
Majority of the people who hate Tinubu from SE are the Ipob miscreants..

They are called children of eight for a reason
Re: Who Said The Igbo Hate Tinubu? by Joromi1: 1:14pm On Jun 29, 2021
BAT for president.

Re: Who Said The Igbo Hate Tinubu? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jun 29, 2021
theFilmtric:

It's tribal and we know

who said they are saints? get someone who will work no matter the tribe. If we make the mistake of 2015 and 2019 again come 2023, na we go still suffer am
Re: Who Said The Igbo Hate Tinubu? by theFilmtric: 2:07pm On Jun 29, 2021
eduj:

who said they are saints? get someone who will work no matter the tribe. If we make the mistake of 2015 and 2019 again come 2023, na we go still suffer am
I would only vote a southerner

I don't think any northerner can ever get my vote after what Buhari has done
Re: Who Said The Igbo Hate Tinubu? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jun 29, 2021
theFilmtric:

I would only vote a southerner

I don't think any northerner can ever get my vote after what Buhari has done
my own na make God help us 2023 ,ground don over bend

(1) (Reply)

Heavy Security Presence At Gani Fawehinmi Park / Kinetic Abia: Understanding The Ndiegoro Flood Control Project In Aba (part 2) / 2023: Wike’s Bosom Friend,amaechi Will Return To Our Party – Rivers PDP Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.